Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

well that and you can form the empire title as a republic regardless of where your capital is at. if you control 81% of britannia and you're a merchant republic, you can form it even if your capital is in barcelona. the reason middlesex being the de jure capital of the empire is important is that it means you can move your capital much later in the game. as a merchant republic, you are not allowed to move your capital unless you are moving to the de jure capital of your primary title (provided it is coastal). middlesex and as you said rome in italia, are the two i can think of that are perfect candidates for merchant republic capitals that you can move to even as an emperor. uppsala would work, but it doesn't really count. since it starts tribal, you can save yourself a shitload of hassle by just starting there and making a republic.

Constantinople is coastal, too.

I think if you create a custom empire, it will take the de jure capital from your (main) kingdom title, so creating the Irish Empire should enable you to move your capital to Dublin, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

Constantinople is coastal, too.

I think if you create a custom empire, it will take the de jure capital from your (main) kingdom title, so creating the Irish Empire should enable you to move your capital to Dublin, for example.

Constantinople is kinda garbage imo. Too many city holdings. I like having every 1 temple, 1 city, and everything else baronies in my capital. And yeah, I was actually just going to post about this because that earlier poster got me thinking and I tried it out. I made the duchy of chera nadu my primary title and formed a titular kingdom as a republic in east africa. I still had the option to move to the duchy capital of chera nadu as a king. Owns. I'm kind of scared of how much money I'm gonna make as a silk road republic with a massive connected to capital bonus and huge trade zone.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Volkerball posted:

Constantinople is kinda garbage imo. Too many city holdings. I like having every 1 temple, 1 city, and everything else baronies in my capital. And yeah, I was actually just going to post about this because that earlier poster got me thinking and I tried it out. I made the duchy of chera nadu my primary title and formed a titular kingdom as a republic in east africa. I still had the option to move to the duchy capital of chera nadu as a king. Owns. I'm kind of scared of how much money I'm gonna make as a silk road republic with a massive connected to capital bonus and huge trade zone.

make the strangest allies and fund their wars

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

It's amazing. But the best place for this is actually Sauvira in Sindh. But yes, the amount of money you can make as a silk road republic is unreal.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
I'm playing my first game in Ireland, and I want to marry off my chancellor, but I have no option to do so. A little research makes me think it's because the game lists him as "abroad", even though I've recalled him. Is there a way to work around this issue, or is the problem perhaps something else entirely?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Rulers of (non-Merchant) Republics cannot marry.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

God my vassals won't stop. I just got a raider popup for Infa of all places. One of my guys conquered like a dozen counties from the Muslim blob. At this rate I'll have the map painted in 150 years without doing anything at all.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TorakFade posted:

Ok in preparation of the new DLC I started an Old Gods game, as the Duke of Spoleto because I did want to be powerful but not a king just yet.

Little did I know, two years into the game a faction succeeds in pressing Elective on the Kingdom of Italy, so I'm asked to vote on a successor. Why not me?

Not two weeks later, King Louis dies in battle against Lotharingia and since 3 other blokes supported me, I am now King of Italy :stare: I literally did nothing but get married, bang my sweet wife to get a heir, assign my councilors and choose the Intrigue focus.

Update: I forgot to set the Ironman flag on that game, and I really wanted to get achievements; plus the ridiculousness of being literally gifted Italy 2 years in was kind of too much, so I restarted the game.

Well this time I tried to support the Elective faction but the King bullied everyone out of it immediately. Oh well I guess getting lucky twice in a row would be insane. So I went and married a nice girl who unsurprisingly turned out to be a cheating whore, but at least she gave me a daughter. I chose the Business focus and started building an economic base by upgrading the castle towns in my demesne.

Not long after, I get a normal illness and die two weeks later, aged 23. My 2 y.o. daughter is hated by everyone including her 17-intrigue mother, I don't think she will last long, and I don't fancy a 14 year regency at the start of the game anyways.

I swear to God, whenever I activate ironman Bad Things happen... it's basically the polar opposite of the previous run.

I'm not sure I want to restart yet again as Duke of Spoleto in 867, so what's some good easy alternative start to try for some easy achievements? I have basically none because I never played ironman for the aforementioned reasons :argh: I have all content DLC but I'm not keen on going with hordes or tribals, I want to ease back into the game as the usual boring feudal christian ruler.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TorakFade posted:

I'm not sure I want to restart yet again as Duke of Spoleto in 867, so what's some good easy alternative start to try for some easy achievements? I have basically none because I never played ironman for the aforementioned reasons :argh: I have all content DLC but I'm not keen on going with hordes or tribals, I want to ease back into the game as the usual boring feudal christian ruler.

You could try William the Bastard in the Stamford Bridge scenario and take over England. From there you can use the usual game of fabricating claims, marrying into claims and asking the Pope for claims to take over all of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland and get another achievement.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
In a way it's sorta liberating not giving a poo poo about landing your dynasty because it causes problems as a Muslim. Seeing as I've sometimes caught myself delaying conquests until the next batch of dynasty members are adults, dividing them into tiered ranks based on skills (Oh, detached priest? Count. Midas Touched quick? King.) and then obsessively landing them into neat countries, being free of that sorta thing from an optimal gameplay point of view is good.

Still not going completely optimal, but I guess obsessively going for higher "dynastic score" isn't that important. Though as I'll soon be going merchant republic, I suppose I should have mebe done it for higher dynastic prestige to make elections easier.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

In a way it's sorta liberating not giving a poo poo about landing your dynasty because it causes problems as a Muslim. Seeing as I've sometimes caught myself delaying conquests until the next batch of dynasty members are adults, dividing them into tiered ranks based on skills (Oh, detached priest? Count. Midas Touched quick? King.) and then obsessively landing them into neat countries, being free of that sorta thing from an optimal gameplay point of view is good.

Still not going completely optimal, but I guess obsessively going for higher "dynastic score" isn't that important. Though as I'll soon be going merchant republic, I suppose I should have mebe done it for higher dynastic prestige to make elections easier.
Oh god. This is exactly why I stop playing a save, when my compulsion to do this no longer outweighs the tedium of doing so.

I will never get the full gametime achievements

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I don't think Jesus realized my daughter is the Antichrist :v:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe it isn't Jesus that is giving the advice :tinfoil:.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It could be Kai or Kami.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

LemonAIDS posted:

That always happens.

At least happened to every child of the devil I had

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Have a video DD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6kunXT1K8

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

lurksion posted:

Oh god. This is exactly why I stop playing a save, when my compulsion to do this no longer outweighs the tedium of doing so.

I will never get the full gametime achievements
I have been trying to get my family to found kingdoms as the drat nomads, as I can't give them the titles, and it is hell. I want to release the Abyssinian Empire because I want someone else to participate in Zorastrian Great Holy wars but it's not exactly going great.

GSD posted:

Maybe it isn't Jesus that is giving the advice :tinfoil:.
Well, they're Christian, so maybe Jesus is trying to turn them against their dad? Like in Wormwood?

Jesus playing the role of Satan, sorta.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I have been trying to get my family to found kingdoms as the drat nomads, as I can't give them the titles, and it is hell. I want to release the Abyssinian Empire because I want someone else to participate in Zorastrian Great Holy wars but it's not exactly going great.
Well, they're Christian, so maybe Jesus is trying to turn them against their dad? Like in Wormwood?

If you give then all the required duchies and enough money they will sometimes create the titles thenselves

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Elias_Maluco posted:

That always happens.

At least happened to every child of the devil I had

Children of the devil automatically get the 'hearing voices' status effect, I think, and that's what allows the "Jesus military advice" thing to trigger. Add to that the fact, that devil children have ultra-survivability, and yea...makes sense.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

If you give then all the required duchies and enough money they will sometimes create the titles thenselves
Sometimes being the operative word here.

The multi duke of what used to be the kingdom of Greece, the king of Abyssinia and Egypt that refuses to make Nubia (So I can't vassal transfer the sayyid genius branch of the family to him in Makuria), as well as my son in charge of the Jain Indian Kingdom, sighhhhh.

Also, man does the Zoroastrian High Priest hate the Byzantine Empire. Why can't you go into India fucker, so I could try and dismantle them more???

Reminder: Hordes are still hilariously overpowered so use it while you can. I could have made all of India into a Zoroastrian playground if I'd have had the presence of mind to do it. Now I have to make sure the Khazars don't get Anatolia and then finish the invasion of Africa first...

Groogy
, does my council have any dummy positions? Like, can I make one of them master of mint or swans and keep my vassals satisfied this way or will I have way more wannabe members than can be put in reasonably?

Is there an honourary title "council member" that you can wave around?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 29, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sometimes being the operative word here.

The multi duke of what used to be the kingdom of Greece, the king of Abyssinia and Egypt that refuses to make Nubia (So I can't vassal transfer the sayyid genius branch of the family to him in Makuria), as well as my son in charge of the Jain Indian Kingdom, sighhhhh.

Yeah, is pretty annoying. You can give those titles to nomad vassals, though. In my game that's what I ended up doing to stay under the vassal limit (and because I hate having a fuckton of vassal dukes)

Reminder: Hordes are still hilariously overpowered so use it while you can. I could have made all of India into a Zoroastrian playground if I'd have had the presence of mind to do it. Now I have to make sure the Khazars don't get Anatolia and then finish the invasion of Africa first...

As a nomad it was the first time Ive bothered invading India, and then conquered it all just because it was so easy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LemonAIDS posted:

Jesus likes a level playing field.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've got an ironman game going where I'm the Count of Bourbon, and the Spy On option has lucked me into a situation where I now have my liege, the Duchess of Aquitaine, imprisoned. Coincidentally, (not actually coincidentally at all I've been planning this for a while) my wife has a claim on the duchy. So my question is, does having the Duchess imprisoned change how she'd react to me demanding my wife's installation? Or alternatively, since I already have her imprisoned, if I'd declare war for the title would I instantly be at 100% warscore, because IIRC having the war leader imprisoned does that. I absolutely do not have the military means to take her in an honest fight, so I just want to know what my best action is here.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DStecks posted:

I've got an ironman game going where I'm the Count of Bourbon, and the Spy On option has lucked me into a situation where I now have my liege, the Duchess of Aquitaine, imprisoned. Coincidentally, (not actually coincidentally at all I've been planning this for a while) my wife has a claim on the duchy. So my question is, does having the Duchess imprisoned change how she'd react to me demanding my wife's installation? Or alternatively, since I already have her imprisoned, if I'd declare war for the title would I instantly be at 100% warscore, because IIRC having the war leader imprisoned does that. I absolutely do not have the military means to take her in an honest fight, so I just want to know what my best action is here.

You can press a Faction demand while you have imprisoned your liege, and you will indeed immediately get 100% war score.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You can press a Faction demand while you have imprisoned your liege, and you will indeed immediately get 100% war score.

gently caress yeah.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Speaking about it, I dont think I ever understood this rule that forbids us from giving kingdom titles to vassals with a different type of government. It seems completely arbitrary.

For nomads, maybe, it does makes sense and adds to the challenge, as late game Ive found no way of keeping under the vassal limit except by distributing kingdoms among my vassal khans, which can make then very dangerous.

But for feudals it does not makes the game any harder (most player wont ever give away kingdom titles anyway), it just prevent us from doing fun stuff like making Italy a theocracy or Frisia a merchant republic.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

Speaking about it, I dont think I ever understood this rule that forbids us from giving kingdom titles to vassals with a different type of government. It seems completely arbitrary.

For nomads, maybe, it does makes sense and adds to the challenge, as late game Ive found no way of keeping under the vassal limit except by distributing kingdoms among my vassal khans, which can make then very dangerous.

But for feudals it does not makes the game any harder (most player wont ever give away kingdom titles anyway), it just prevent us from doing fun stuff like making Italy a theocracy or Frisia a merchant republic.

That's not true. One popular tactic was to make every count level vassal and higher a theocracy, because theocracies cannot inherit other titles or claims, don't join normal factions, don't expand and are basically easy mode in terms of realm management. It was similar with non-merchant republics, though they at least have a -30 wrong government penalty. That's the reason why you can't give more than a certain share of your lands to priests or mayors, and the inability to grant them kingdom is probably to prevent you from gaming the system.

It's probably also a thing of historical realism, as the nobility certainly wasn't in the habit of giving out titles to commoners, and even if commoners did manage to get a title, they would become nobles themselves and not republics.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

That's not true. One popular tactic was to make every count level vassal and higher a theocracy, because theocracies cannot inherit other titles or claims, don't join normal factions, don't expand and are basically easy mode in terms of realm management. It was similar with non-merchant republics, though they at least have a -30 wrong government penalty. That's the reason why you can't give more than a certain share of your lands to priests or mayors, and the inability to grant them kingdom is probably to prevent you from gaming the system.

It's probably also a thing of historical realism, as the nobility certainly wasn't in the habit of giving out titles to commoners, and even if commoners did manage to get a title, they would become nobles themselves and not republics.

I dont know, that % limit is more than enough to prevent those exploits, IMHO

And vassal republic kingdoms are far more dangerous than regular republics, in my experience. They will join factions much more often than duchy level ones and tend to get much stronger. Same goes for theocracies too, I dont think Ive ever saw a duchy-level one join a faction, but the few kingdom level ones Ive created (using the console) would often do.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've (almost) done it.

My family owns India. I've got room for two more posts that still get a connected to capital bonus, but after that, I'm just gonna focus on building vertical instead of horizontal for a bit. At 38 posts, this is already pouring out more money than I think any other trade route I've ever had, with no upgrades to any of my posts. And I haven't even sent the raiding party to block the silk road in Mongolia so all trade comes through me yet. I'll post an update once I've got it developed.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I've (almost) done it.

My family owns India. I've got room for two more posts that still get a connected to capital bonus, but after that, I'm just gonna focus on building vertical instead of horizontal for a bit. At 38 posts, this is already pouring out more money than I think any other trade route I've ever had, with no upgrades to any of my posts. And I haven't even sent the raiding party to block the silk road in Mongolia so all trade comes through me yet. I'll post an update once I've got it developed.
Gideon? Were they the uhh, Jewish ones? Did you use the console to turn Merchant Republic or what?

As an aside, when you call tribal vassals over counts into wars, do they also call their vassals? Same with kings?

I was just wondering if the combined might of a muslim tribal east europe could beat the nomads.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gideon? Were they the uhh, Jewish ones? Did you use the console to turn Merchant Republic or what?

Yeah, I made the duchy of Axum a republic with the console and went from there. Just selected a randomized last name in the character creator.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 17, 2018

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
How can I edit a marriage in a savefile to be matrilineal?
My eldest daughter and heir has remarried after her husband died and decided on a regular marriage (nevermind that female AI rulers almost never accept a regular marriage...). I'm trying to edit the save file so that her marriage is matrilineal by adding "succession=yes" under her husband's id= number in her relationship section (rel_daughterID=). Basically following the instructions here: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Save-game_editing#Marriage

However, every time I reload the save after editing, the marriage is still regular, regardless of whether I put the spouse_id = { succession=yes } section in her part or her husband's part, or both.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The instructions in the wiki are correct (I do that to edit marriages all the time) so you are messing up somehow. From your description my guess is that you're getting the structure of the new section wrong.

Basically, the save game has a massive brace-block section called "relations" (or maybe it's "relation"?) that stores various relations and diplo modifiers for all characters. Anywhere in that section, you need to find or create a section called "diplo_<husbandID>". Inside that section, you need another section called <wifeID>, and inside that you put the "succession=yes".

It should look like this:

code:
relation=
{
(...)
diplo_<husbandID>= 
{
	<wifeID>=
	{
		succession=yes
	}
}
(...)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Groogy[/b], does my council have any dummy positions? Like, can I make one of them master of mint or swans and keep my vassals satisfied this way or will I have way more wannabe members than can be put in reasonably?

Is there an honourary title "council member" that you can wave around?
They added two "Adviser" honorary titles that come with council positions. The default council UI has 8 spots because it could contain up to the 5 main councilors, 2 advisers, and your regent, IIRC.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

DStecks posted:

You can't declare war on somebody if they're already imprisoned, apparently. That caused trouble for me last night; I captured some count while raiding, decided to take advantage of the automatic 100% warscore, but I couldn't declare war on him, nor would he accept vassalization, nor could he afford his ransom. So unfair that I had to actually release him and then fight him.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can't declare war directly while someone is in your jail, but if you trigger an event where one of the decisions leads to war (like pressing a faction claim), then you can fight them while they're still imprisoned for the automatic 100% war score.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Dallan Invictus posted:

The instructions in the wiki are correct (I do that to edit marriages all the time) so you are messing up somehow. From your description my guess is that you're getting the structure of the new section wrong.

Basically, the save game has a massive brace-block section called "relations" (or maybe it's "relation"?) that stores various relations and diplo modifiers for all characters. Anywhere in that section, you need to find or create a section called "diplo_<husbandID>". Inside that section, you need another section called <wifeID>, and inside that you put the "succession=yes".

It should look like this:

code:
relation=
{
(...)
diplo_<husbandID>= 
{
	<wifeID>=
	{
		succession=yes
	}
}
(...)

Ah, I left out the "diplo_" part. I fixed that and now it's working, thanks!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Just two more question about this:

If you mod in more voters, how will the interface handle positions being controlled through the Council screen? Can you change your position properly?

And can you remove voting from just the base councillors (the big five and the Advisors) so that the voters might be outside of the Council?

Yes it all works.
The moddability as I said is huge and I said I wanted to do it even more moddable. Unfortunately the additional things I want to do have to wait until 2.5.2 where I add a lot of new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

is the thing where great holy wars and crusades keep getting called for india getting fixed?

• Locked thread