Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the dastardly Chinese are the reason why we've never had a lot of black leads.

Well, the lack of non-whites in Hollywood cinema is an historic tradition ranging back many fine decades but the development of China as a target market is a recent, fun, and innovative reason to continue racist casting practices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

piratepilates posted:

Oh, right. Is it racist to call Chinese people for the most part racist?

Holy poo poo. It's nowhere near as bad as those Italian "12 Years a Slave" posters, but that's pretty loving bad.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
They don't hate black people, they just loving love TIE fighters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, the lack of non-whites in Hollywood cinema is an historic tradition ranging back many fine decades but the development of China as a target market is a recent, fun, and innovative reason to continue racist casting practices!

I'm sure that's why the Oscar nominees didn't include any minorities.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Skwirl posted:

Holy poo poo. It's nowhere near as bad as those Italian "12 Years a Slave" posters, but that's pretty loving bad.

I think I missed this one.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

computer parts posted:

That and also most of the members of the Academy are old white guys.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hockles posted:

I think I missed this one.

They had single actor posters for Cumberpatch, Fassbender and Pitt and nothing that featured Ejiofor in anything resembling a close up.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

computer parts posted:

That's bad. But, as a basis for comparison, in China the official State censors are known to block anything that portrays people of certain ethnicities and nationalities in too positive a light.

I mean I don't want to downplay the level of institutional racism in Hollywood (and the rest of America). But in China in many cases the level of casual racism simmers along just this side of ethnic cleansing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ninja Gamer posted:

(Alexander) Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi should get more work in general.

He got in on one of the worst episodes of GoT (which is saying a lot) :negative:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
General movie question: What's the name that awful Thai film that was joke recommended constantly in the general chat thread sometime last year? I remember there being a lot of piss and poo poo.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Magic Lizard the Magic Lizard Story about a Lizard who is Magic?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Man, I wouldn't describe Magic Lizard: The Lizard Magic Story as awful, it's got some strong moments

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Magic Lizard just Is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

General movie question: What's the name that awful Thai film that was joke recommended constantly in the general chat thread sometime last year? I remember there being a lot of piss and poo poo.

It's on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aDOj43mPnQ

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Bingo! Thanks in particular for the link, I know how I'm spending my weekend.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Random thought that popped in my head just now: Has there ever been a movie that had a trailer, but the full film was never released? This happens to video games all the time, but I'm guessing that movie trailers are rarely, if ever, made before filming is finished.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Random thought that popped in my head just now: Has there ever been a movie that had a trailer, but the full film was never released? This happens to video games all the time, but I'm guessing that movie trailers are rarely, if ever, made before filming is finished.

Not sure about a trailer, but The Day the Clown Cried was fully filmed and ready to be released until Jerry Lewis realized what a terrible idea it would be to release the film and has held on to it tightly ever since.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
It isn't particularly uncommon for a teaser trailer to be produced for a film that isn't subsequently completed, or for films to be completed but never find a distributor.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I remember seeing a trailer for a movie that didn't come out for at least a year or two.

Also, the teaser for Alien3 inferred it would involve Earth, which was abandoned before shooting.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
here's a couple

King Conqueror from 2008 with Tim Roth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXgiIGeww6s

Spring Break '83 from 2010. Don't watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T470OE3t8ns

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Schweinhund posted:

Spring Break '83 from 2010. Don't watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T470OE3t8ns

Jesus christ you weren't kidding.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Somebody made a trailer for a sixth installation of the Final Destination franchise, which was to be set in medieval times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbiOv7s2Hw

Granted it was only a pitch and was mostly made of clips from other movies, but I think it meets the criteria.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SubG posted:

That's bad. But, as a basis for comparison, in China the official State censors are known to block anything that portrays people of certain ethnicities and nationalities in too positive a light.

I mean I don't want to downplay the level of institutional racism in Hollywood (and the rest of America). But in China in many cases the level of casual racism simmers along just this side of ethnic cleansing.

I'm sure you know this, but it's complicated. Black NBA and CBA players are some of the biggest celebrities in the PRC, Kobe and Iverson and Ma Bu Li are all more popular there than they ever were here. African workers and exchange students are common, and a black friend of mine was regularly mistaken for a celebrity, asked to pose for photos, and in one case literally applauded by a crowd while getting on a bus (in Taiwan). But they sure as gently caress don't want to see a black guy dating a Chinese woman or Like, moving in next door. In that respect it's not much different from a mostly white neighborhood in the US.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I went to China for a month during senior year of high school as part of a cultural exchange. One of the students in my group was tall and black. He was on the front page of the city's newspaper the day after we arrived. Not my group as a whole, just him by himself in some candid shot someone must have taken as we were walking around. It was a small town by China standard, but still, that was pretty crazy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sleeveless posted:

Somebody made a trailer for a sixth installation of the Final Destination franchise, which was to be set in medieval times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbiOv7s2Hw

Granted it was only a pitch and was mostly made of clips from other movies, but I think it meets the criteria.

Well, there goes my pitch for a Final Destination movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Klungar posted:

I went to China for a month during senior year of high school as part of a cultural exchange. One of the students in my group was tall and black. He was on the front page of the city's newspaper the day after we arrived. Not my group as a whole, just him by himself in some candid shot someone must have taken as we were walking around. It was a small town by China standard, but still, that was pretty crazy.

Goddamn that is crazy as hell. What was the headline, "black guy spotted in town – lock doors, windows"?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Goddamn that is crazy as hell. What was the headline, "black guy spotted in town – lock doors, windows"?

The newspaper was in Chinese, so I wasn't able to read it myself, but I believe the Chinese student who showed it to us said it was about all of us American students being in town for the next month, which to be fair is decent local news. Still, only one of the students was deemed picture worthy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Klungar posted:

The newspaper was in Chinese, so I wasn't able to read it myself, but I believe the Chinese student who showed it to us said it was about all of us American students being in town for the next month, which to be fair is decent local news. Still, only one of the students was deemed picture worthy.

That reminds me of when I was in this middle of nowhere East China town. They apparently hadn't seen white people in many years because all the kids were wide eyed and pointing at me and this lady at a restaurant wanted to sit and see if foreigners (her word) could eat noodles.

And then there were two black people at the supermarket, and it was about as casual an interaction as anywhere in the US.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Klungar posted:

Ah. Still pretty weird picture choice.

The closest I got is my blonde nephews getting their hair tousled a lot when they're pretty much anywhere.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

The closest I got is my blonde nephews getting their hair tousled a lot when they're pretty much anywhere.

When my hair was long (like, rear end length) I had it fondled by a woman in a bookstore. In Shanghai just off the Bund no less, so not really out in no teeth nowheresville. Some of the more copiously endowed women I've worked with in China would regularly have their breasts touched and remarked on by ladies in little farming villages, they go wild for that poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I had platinum blonde hair as a kid and lived in Italy. Every where my parents took me Italian people would give me candy and change to play games with.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

When my hair was long (like, rear end length) I had it fondled by a woman in a bookstore. In Shanghai just off the Bund no less, so not really out in no teeth nowheresville. Some of the more copiously endowed women I've worked with in China would regularly have their breasts touched and remarked on by ladies in little farming villages, they go wild for that poo poo.

Your colleagues or the village women?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh yeah my late uncle was a ship engineer, and he'd often go overseas to oversee construction wherever. One time in China, at the inauguration reception, he and a bunch of financiers & owners & what have you, they were all standing around having just received their first drink. Everybody nodding politely, smiling, etc. Then, the man next to my uncle says: "Your wife? Big milk tanks, yes?", gesturing a curve before his chest. My uncle nods solemnly and replies, "my wife, yes, big milk tanks."

They got the next contract too. :c00lbert:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I really like the YouTube series 'every frame a painting'. What similar youtubes or books would people recommend?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

I really like the YouTube series 'every frame a painting'. What similar youtubes or books would people recommend?

B-Hard's No Small Parts

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I find Filmmaker IQ to be a good companion to "Every Frame a Painting".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kyle Kalgreen is also pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O6OTVyybZU
His more recent stuff at least. The older stuff is very different and more "angry internet reviewer"-y and less analytical.

His Shakespeare videos in particular are pretty interesting because the man knows his Shakespeare.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kyle Kalgreen is also pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O6OTVyybZU
His more recent stuff at least. The older stuff is very different and more "angry internet reviewer"-y and less analytical.

His Shakespeare videos in particular are pretty interesting because the man knows his Shakespeare.

God yes, that F For Fake one is great.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Well this guarantees I won't be getting much done at work for the next few days. I loooove every frame a painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Nerdwriter1 has a few good ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbZNkMn3PvQ