Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Lost a(nother) bounty hunter and Graverobber to the bandit 8 pounder after a bout of bad RNG. Missed 2 80+% hit chances, my Bounty Hunter gave it his all but he didn't manage to kill the matchman from full health. Gun went boom, Graverobber on death's door, taken out next round. My Occultist couldn't heal the bounty hunter and keep the matchman locked down, so after another round or two the hunter was stuck on death's door. Trooped through until the second last round of the fight before finally biting it. Didn't have the ability to kill the matchmen any more but my Leper pulled out a crit on the gun right at the end and saved his buddy (and more importantly my trinkets), so I figure the luck balances out. Kind of.

Lost my first Graverobber to my first collector encounter because the dumb assholes kept bringing him to 1 health and not actually killing him, my bounty hunters have all gone to poo poo with stress before being valuable enough to fix or died somehow. The carriage does not want to give me more. gently caress the carriage. Week 26 and its my first time seeing another Highwayman, and Dismas has been dead for ages, but oh boy, I could probably have filled my barracks with Jesters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gitro posted:

Lost a(nother) bounty hunter and Graverobber to the bandit 8 pounder after a bout of bad RNG. Missed 2 80+% hit chances, my Bounty Hunter gave it his all but he didn't manage to kill the matchman from full health. Gun went boom, Graverobber on death's door, taken out next round. My Occultist couldn't heal the bounty hunter and keep the matchman locked down, so after another round or two the hunter was stuck on death's door. Trooped through until the second last round of the fight before finally biting it. Didn't have the ability to kill the matchmen any more but my Leper pulled out a crit on the gun right at the end and saved his buddy (and more importantly my trinkets), so I figure the luck balances out. Kind of.

I can't think of a worse guy to have on the team than Leper versus a boss battle where you must consistently hit a gut in the back row to prevent annihilation (besides maybe Prophet but you can brute force that). That being said, I've similarly had my Leper pull out that "fated Crit" for the last minute save just as often. Seems like even when poo poo goes wrong, the Leper survives all of it and goes for the win.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MinibarMatchman posted:

Not sure if that or Siren has been easiest for me so far? Only boss I haven't fought any iteration of is the Soggy Crew.

Not the Soggy Crew! :ohdear:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

I thought that was Collector and Shambler both, is it only the Shambler?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So hearing everyone talking about the giant, I look it up.

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Unclean_Giant

Almost 20% crit chance? And an accuracy of 80/90 isn't exactly low to me, either.

I suppose we should be grateful he never gets paired with something that can buff him.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

That's right, Mr. fish guardian dude, put Barnacle Barrier up on the Madman. That was really helpful, thanks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bloodly posted:

Almost 20% crit chance? And an accuracy of 80/90 isn't exactly low to me, either.

I suppose we should be grateful he never gets paired with something that can buff him.

That translates into a 2/3 or worse chance to hit most classes at champion tier, worse for fully upgraded characters at veteran.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah remember that by level 3, if dudes are upgraded, even the Leper is rocking 10 dodge. A maximum of 70% hit chance is not at all good since that rear end in a top hat tends to get focus-fired like crazy when he shows up. He will frequently only GET one shot.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Bloodly posted:

Crones Debuffs your party, reducing your dodge

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah treebranch smackdown misses quite often so I'm not that scared of it.

...nah that's a lie. Cause I know as soon as I get complacent it will manage to hit my graverobber and put her in death's door from full health :saddowns:

Still, I'd rather fight giants than fat skeletons. Fighting them is miserable if they spam ground pound.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah treebranch smackdown misses quite often so I'm not that scared of it.

...nah that's a lie. Cause I know as soon as I get complacent it will manage to hit my graverobber and put her in death's door from full health :saddowns:

Still, I'd rather fight giants than fat skeletons. Fighting them is miserable if they spam ground pound.

And they have so much prot even the crusader does little damage to them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The skeleton captain has half as much HP as the giant and only 33% prot, so he goes down quite a bit faster.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Coolguye posted:

I thought that was Collector and Shambler both, is it only the Shambler?

Not sure if it's required to make him stop being the encounter in the same space you faced him but when I ran away once I just discarded a bunch of poo poo I didn't need and the encounter turned into regular enemies.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Gabriel Pope posted:

The skeleton captain has half as much HP as the giant and only 33% prot, so he goes down quite a bit faster.

More like 50% prot.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I just lost 3 people to the first Darkest Dungeon mission :negative: Went in mostly blind, made it to the boss and then Didn't realize that killing the cultist meant eating a 20+ party wide stress each turn, on top of the dude summoning a buffing, guarding, rear end in a top hat of a totem. I think I'm going to try and build a shuffle party and burst it down in the first phase. The buff you get from failing the mission is nice, but I'm dreading fielding another crew. That was like 30k worth of skill upgrades and equipment!

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
On week 28 or so, haven't lost anyone yet. Try out my first Veteran dungeon and my badass Grave Robber gets focus fired and killed by doggies from full hp. :( (Smoked the Collector right before as well)

gently caress dogs.

I really want a Houndmaster, have only seen one and he picked up too many terrible traits so I sacked him. I probably fire too many dudes, but at least I'm rolling in coin.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm really amused that both times I've fought the Siren, it has exclusively targeted my crusader with deviant tastes. Of course he turned coat basically every time as well.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TheChad posted:

gently caress dogs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Honestly I find the big rear end ghoul thing to be more dangerous than the tree giant guy. Must be something about my play style.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Honestly I find the big rear end ghoul thing to be more dangerous than the tree giant guy. Must be something about my play style.

Same here that loving skull toss always crits.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm really amused that both times I've fought the Siren, it has exclusively targeted my crusader with deviant tastes. Of course he turned coat basically every time as well.

The last time I fought the siren she kept stealing my Leper, who would proceed to buff and heal himself before returning home (and immediately go into position 4 :argh:)

Gitro
May 29, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

I can't think of a worse guy to have on the team than Leper versus a boss battle where you must consistently hit a gut in the back row to prevent annihilation (besides maybe Prophet but you can brute force that). That being said, I've similarly had my Leper pull out that "fated Crit" for the last minute save just as often. Seems like even when poo poo goes wrong, the Leper survives all of it and goes for the win.

Yeah, turned out to be a bad choice but it's not like I knew it beforehand. To be fair, 3 out of my 4 dues could hit the matchman every turn (plus a pull on the occultist if I needed it), and it was working great until they decided that hitting was for nerds.

Leper got turned by the siren, all he did was buff his own prot and come back to me. Could've been the damage buff, but it was better than a swing. Lepers have been my bros so far.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
God drat the second darkest dungeon mission is some poo poo

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

THE RULES OF THE DARKEST DUNGON ( THE GAME NOT THE DUNEGON ITSELF)
6. DON'T RESTART THE GAME you pussy
7. If at first your tactics against a boss result in a team wipe, try 4 more times with the exact same approach

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Soothing Vapors posted:

7. If at first your tactics against a boss result in a team wipe, try 4 more times with the exact same approach

In my defense I'm dumb as hell, also I keep playing the game while really tired. It's the same trap as the swine god only no one yells at you for killing the cult priest.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I somehow killed the (basic level) Swine Prince blind on my first try while killing Wilbur first with no one dying. I didn't put two and two together that every time I hit him the prince brutalizes my party. Basically my entire party would be on deaths door, I'd use a Vestal party heal to get em off it, then they'd be smacked back to deaths door next turn. Repeat ad nasuem. I mean, I think pretty much everyone got stressed to an insane amount during the fight, but that no one died was kind of incredible.

Mostly I just I spoil the poo poo out of boss fights because I don't really feel guilty looking at that kind of stuff when it comes to roguelike games. I figure if the game fights dirty, so do I.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 29, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ZypherIM posted:

@Bad Seafood: don't read books, books are bad.
You'd think I'd bother to remember this after all the times books have screwed me over (and people over in general in any Lovecraftian universe), but I keep forgetting just how small a chance they have at being beneficial. Live and learn I guess - I mean I'll live, not those guys who got ground into paste.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

THE RULES OF THE DARKEST DUNGON ( THE GAME NOT THE DUNEGON ITSELF)

1. Your dudes are hosed up weirdos. do not judge them for it. they aren't hurting anyone with their weird fetishes and obsessions. In fact, be glad if they have those quirks and not the ones that actively make hurting people less efficient, because that's their job

!IMPORTANT EXCEPTION!: Do not suffer the kleptomaniac to live

2. All good poo poo comes from the weald. You'll get a million busts of the same dude but they are only useful for praying and curing diseases, neither of which are actively reclaiming your opulant and imperial house. Pictures go to the guild so your guys can learn how to do stuff better. You get the shield things from everywhere for everywhere. All anyone who matters actually wants is paper. First pay the cabbie so he can bring more suckers in for you to turn into skeleton crushing machines. then pay the blacksmith to fix the shitass gear everyone shows up with

3. gently caress the weald.

This dude does not give a bitch queef about your game. He's here to shuffle your party, smack poo poo with a tree, and crit while doing so. He is hoarding all the paper to himself and your only job for the first 49 hours is to run parties into him endlessly until the blacksmith is rich enough to buy a small city and your stagecoach is a gold plated luxury jet

4. The Darkest Dungeon (Dungeon) probably has stuff in it past the first few rooms. It's unconfirmed as of this post as nobody has gotten a full party to survive through the Trial of 10000 Treebranch Smackdowns aka the midgame

5. OTHER stuff in town: there's a gypsy woman selling you poo poo jewelry for ten million gold. She honestly may not even work, as nobody ever has tried to buy anything from her. Theres also a lady camping I think, someone ought to check on her at some point

6. DON'T RESTART THE GAME you pussy
Add this to the OP.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

TacMan posted:

In my defense I'm dumb as hell, also I keep playing the game while really tired. It's the same trap as the swine god only no one yells at you for killing the cult priest.
Well, the Shuffling Horror does! :wal:

While going into the Darkest Dungeon unspoiled is fun, I admit that the prospect of having to train up more level 5+ dudes (for both successful and failed runs) is pretty intimidating.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game is too long. Or too long for what it is, or whatever.

Also pretty bummed I didn't hear any new VO from when I last/first played it in EA a year ago :(

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

victrix posted:

Also pretty bummed I didn't hear any new VO from when I last/first played it in EA a year ago :(

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

victrix posted:

This game is too long. Or too long for what it is, or whatever.

There are more clips from the narrator than there were a year ago- you just haven't heard them yet.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I played for like three hours last night and got steamrolled by lots of horrible monsters and I lost all my money and adventurers. :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fabricated posted:

There are more clips from the narrator than there were a year ago- you just haven't heard them yet.

Right, but that's what I mean - I've played 30+ hours and the majority of the dungeon roaming and combat barks are identical. Bit disappointing is all.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I played for like three hours last night and got steamrolled by lots of horrible monsters and I lost all my money and adventurers. :(

what week were you in brah, did you have any upgrades so far in the hamlet

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Books are bad. Burning books; insanely bad. Burning scrolls? That is insanely good

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Books are bad. Burning books; insanely bad. Burning scrolls? That is insanely good

Books are taboo: You shouldn't read them, because they are bad for you. You also shouldn't burn them, because of the fear of what you might have destroyed.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MinibarMatchman posted:

what week were you in brah, did you have any upgrades so far in the hamlet

I think it's like week 14 now?

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Lost Dismas and my achievement because I thought I could take a Shambler in a level 5 dungeon.

GODDAMMIT.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Phrasing posted:

Lost Dismas and my achievement because I thought I could take a Shambler in a level 5 dungeon.

GODDAMMIT.

overconfidence is an etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

What's the minimum number of weeks it's possible to finish the game in? Just had my first death and first abandoned quest in NG+. I wasn't too far in and wondering if I should restart.