Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Gavok posted:

When a heel backs away, acting all satisfied at his smartness until backing into a large face and slowly coming to realize he's hosed as he turns around.

Conversely, I still like the reverse, when it's a face confronted by a heel. Best example was from WWE's ECW, Armando Estrada was GM and told Tommy Dreamer he had something like one minute to get to the ring for his match, or he'd be fired or something. "Wacky" obstacles slowed him down, he makes it to the ring, grins as he realizes he beat the clock...

And Big Daddy V is waiting for him in-ring, fresh off squashing some jobber a few minutes before.

Dreamer's face just read "This is gonna suck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Shine posted:

I love when people try to superplex Kevin Owens even though they should all know way better.

And yes, "you can't eliminate the Big Show, winner of zero Royal Rumbles in almost 20 years, because he is too big" is the best.

He won the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal at Wrestlemania Play Button.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogsMCGxJHeI

So did cm punk actually have some sort of issue with Daniel Bryan? Kind of seems to fly in the face of everything I thought about the guys but Meltzer doesn't correct Flair when he says

Edit: nm misunderstood it, he was talking about punk not being popular backstage, not that punk didn't like bryan

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 29, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ICHIBAHN posted:

What are your last favourite wrestling tropes? Mine is the one about Vince never asking you to do anything he wouldn't do himself. As if that's a guage for normal / healthy vendor.

Also, unhip white guy does wacky dance / rap. Terrible.

Heels who pander and play to the crowd. I know merchandise sales is a big part of their paycheck, but drat, I just want to a heel be an unrepentant rear end.

The only one I can think of right now is B.J. Whitmer.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davros1 posted:

Heels who pander and play to the crowd. I know merchandise sales is a big part of their paycheck, but drat, I just want to a heel be an unrepentant rear end.

Mil Muertes

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

I guess he's a face "right now" but Lesnar did this quite well.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Uh Edge and Christian owned though. There can be multiple types of heels, they don't all have to be Satan incarnate

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Petit Gregory posted:

On that note, ad hoc tag teams consisting of main eventers regularly going over the tag team champs cleanly. Hasn't happened in awhile but I remember that constantly happening a few years back and made the WWE tag division a joke.

The last time it sort of happened was in a Smackdown on the buildup to Fastlane las year, where Roman and Bryan beat 3 or 4 of tag teams in a gauntlet. It was handled fairly well, because they beat Cesaro/Kidd who had just started teaming, beat the Ascension after a DQ (the Ascension pulled then out of the ring and just continually beat them up with no attempt to actually wrestle in the ring), and just barely beat the Usos who were the tag champs, showing that the 2 best babyfaces were on the same level as the best and most experienced tag team.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Aesop Poprock posted:

Uh Edge and Christian owned though. There can be multiple types of heels, they don't all have to be Satan incarnate

Also Santino was really hilarious around 2008 with the Honk-A-Meter and poo poo and he was a heel.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

a retard posted:

Also Santino was really hilarious around 2008 with the Honk-A-Meter and poo poo and he was a heel.

I keep seeing this Honk-a-Meter poo poo and I have no idea what it is. I found myself wanting to strangle Santino. Because, while he can be very funny and charming, he was forced to use WWE scripts, which are WWE-funny, so a lot of it was terrible borderline transphobic poo poo, borderline racist snake calling stuff with the Cobra and Khali, etc

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I keep seeing this Honk-a-Meter poo poo and I have no idea what it is. I found myself wanting to strangle Santino. Because, while he can be very funny and charming, he was forced to use WWE scripts, which are WWE-funny, so a lot of it was terrible borderline transphobic poo poo, borderline racist snake calling stuff with the Cobra and Khali, etc

Santino had the IC title in 2008 and the Honk-A-Meter was a way of getting heat because the storyline was that he was trying to break Honky Tonk Man's title reign record. He was really good that year and won the 2008 Wrestling Observer Award for Best Gimmick.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Khali snake charming Santino's hand is probably one of the most "wrestling logic" things ever.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

I keep seeing this Honk-a-Meter poo poo and I have no idea what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRYfgn9X-Jk

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Davros1 posted:

Shingo Takagi is doing some of the best heel work today.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Santino. Because, while he can be very funny and charming,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaNpTh1lhls

5 minutes in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwZdU6Xi_V0

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

The last time it sort of happened was in a Smackdown on the buildup to Fastlane las year, where Roman and Bryan beat 3 or 4 of tag teams in a gauntlet. It was handled fairly well, because they beat Cesaro/Kidd who had just started teaming, beat the Ascension after a DQ (the Ascension pulled then out of the ring and just continually beat them up with no attempt to actually wrestle in the ring), and just barely beat the Usos who were the tag champs, showing that the 2 best babyfaces were on the same level as the best and most experienced tag team.

I'm pretty sure Orton (or was it Cena?) beat Cesaro/Kidd clean in a handicap match sometime within the last year. This was while Kiddsaro were tag team champs.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Because, while he can be very funny and charming,

(note, it plays his theme kind of obnoxiously loud)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj1y-LKwvLU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

tzirean posted:

(note, it plays his theme kind of obnoxiously loud)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj1y-LKwvLU

The best part is Show corpsing the gently caress out in the corner.

Also Beth trying her damnest not to corpse during Glamarella promos.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Does anyone think Hulk Hogan looks at Boogie Woogie Man Jimmy Valiant with jealously, seeing as Valiant can wrestle an entire match without losing his bandana?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vjUZn0axak

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
As relates to mystery characters (higher power, black scorpion, undertaker stalker) has there ever been a good reveal?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Hogan as the third man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was surprised when Ciclope unmasked.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ICHIBAHN posted:

As relates to mystery characters (higher power, black scorpion, undertaker stalker) has there ever been a good reveal?

I thought the DDP reveal was good in that it got a great reaction, it was just the aftermath that blew.

Eric Bischoff being the creepy pastor was probably the only good part of the Billy and chuck storyline if only because it was pretty impressive costume wise

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

ICHIBAHN posted:

Are you implying that the Higher Power reveal wasn't a good reveal? It didn't make any loving sense but it was still amazing, and they followed through on it on subsequent Raws with stuff like the stooges and Ken Shamrock turning on Vince even if they didn't mention the actual Higher Power madness that much.

Also the actual Stalker Reveal promo was great and the crowd lost its poo poo for DDP, he should have been the god drat leader of the Invasion so it had a sliver of legitimacy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ICHIBAHN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTzHd1h47o

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Chris Jericho debuting in the WWE and being behind the countdown clock was a great reveal.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Chris Jericho debuting in the WWE and being behind the countdown clock was a great reveal.
God drat this was a good debut.

I'd love if there was a shot of the shiteating grin that must have been on his face when he was standing there with his back to the crowd

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aright maybe reconsider my question : what were the best reveals? The jericho one ruled obviously. The Vince one was good in the execution but didn't make sense storyline wise.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

ICHIBAHN posted:

Aright maybe reconsider my question : what were the best reveals? The jericho one ruled obviously. The Vince one was good in the execution but didn't make sense storyline wise.

Cena as number 30 in the 08 Rumble.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ICHIBAHN posted:

Chikara's usually good with mystery reveals, namely when the BDK angle started. The final segment in the 2009 finale show involved three seemingly-unrelated masked characters (Carpenter Ant, Vokoder and this unnamed guy who had been sending foreboding, threatening videos to UltraMantis) unmasking and attacking the main roster along with some others. They turned out to be Pinkie Sanchez, Tim Donst and Ares. All of which made sense and the Ares unmasking was more about revealing that Claudio was secretly a heel.

Then months later, a guy started stalking them while dressed as Vokoder. That ended up being Larry Sweeney in his final appearance.

Years later, during the whole Flood storyline, one of the guys involved was Kaiju Big Battel's Dr. Cube, but there was evidence supporting that he wasn't the real deal. He was revealed as Jakob Hammermeier, which was one of those situations where it was pretty perfect but nobody saw it coming.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Talking about Santino and being silly I feel the need to bring up one of my favorite WWE matches (it's the first match so I'm not going to trouble with timestamping it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie9KH0QYLWI

It's not outstanding from a technical standpoint or anything but it's just two charismatic guys being ridiculous and I love it :allears:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
If we are talking about Santino I have to link to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWMa6OzWli8

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Gavok posted:

Chikara's usually good with mystery reveals, namely when the BDK angle started. The final segment in the 2009 finale show involved three seemingly-unrelated masked characters (Carpenter Ant, Vokoder and this unnamed guy who had been sending foreboding, threatening videos to UltraMantis) unmasking and attacking the main roster along with some others. They turned out to be Pinkie Sanchez, Tim Donst and Ares. All of which made sense and the Ares unmasking was more about revealing that Claudio was secretly a heel.

Then months later, a guy started stalking them while dressed as Vokoder. That ended up being Larry Sweeney in his final appearance.

Years later, during the whole Flood storyline, one of the guys involved was Kaiju Big Battel's Dr. Cube, but there was evidence supporting that he wasn't the real deal. He was revealed as Jakob Hammermeier, which was one of those situations where it was pretty perfect but nobody saw it coming.

The best Chikara reveal ever was who was inside the CP Munk and Colt Cabunny suits.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

a retard posted:

Cena as number 30 in the 08 Rumble.

That's not a mystery character. I think they mean someone built up with vignettes.

One of my favorites for all the wrong reasons was how they built up Saba Simba with segments, and then the second he debuts Roddy Piper goes "Hold the phone, that's Tooooonyyyy Atlas!" and Vince had to make up some bullshit on the fly about him going back to his roots.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Price Check posted:

The best Chikara reveal ever was who was inside the CP Munk and Colt Cabunny suits.

This is very true.

It reminds me of how much I wish WWE went with Justin Gabriel's idea that Vince McMahon was the Rosebud Bunny.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gavok posted:

This is very true.

It reminds me of how much I wish WWE went with Justin Gabriel's idea that Vince McMahon was the Rosebud Bunny.

If that idea wasn't "do a shooting star press then a suicide dive to the outside, switch out from under the ring in the confusion, VKM reveal", then it wasn't all it could have been.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Price Check posted:

Wasn't it like necro butcher and Eddie Kingston or something?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If we're still talking about "best reveal," I keep fantasy-booking Finn Balor being the one to take out Hideo Itami in the parking lot, kicking off his heel turn and NXT version of the Bullet Club.

But Itami's shoulder is still hosed up, so I don't know if we'll ever get that payoff. :(

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wasn't it like necro butcher and Eddie Kingston or something?

Necro and CZW's Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Is there anything that's happened similar to the Mike Levy Incident? Because I just saw it and good god.

How were those guys not charged?