Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Maoist Pussy posted:

Alternatively, when someone uses a word that implies mass murder to actually describe 'resettling landless people', you can assume he is being disingenuous. Also when he uses an insult implying racial hatred to anyone who disagrees with him.

Ethnic cleansing literally means forced resettlement. Why not resettle the Jewish people back to the US and Europe? You'd call that a huge tragedy, right? Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Maoist Pussy posted:

Alternatively, when someone uses a word that implies mass murder to actually describe 'resettling landless people', you can assume he is being disingenuous. Also when he uses an insult implying racial hatred to anyone who disagrees with him.

Landless? I'm pretty sure, despite the best efforts of Israel, they still have land.

this is the thread where we pretend other people meant things we know they didn't right?

I'm pretty sure if you went back far enough you could find TIC saying that denying Israel's right to exist is anti-semitic. Which means there are only zionists and anti-semites and nothing in between.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 29, 2016

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You know at a certain point when someone says "ethnic cleansing is good" we can just collectively roll our eyes and move on with the discussion, he's either a troll or a massive bigot (or both).

Continuing the Im Tirzu shitstorm the great ginger hope MK Stav Shaffir has publicly called to pass legislation that bans the organization, further cementing the fact that the Israeli labor party is also full of idiots.

Yeah I had a lot of faith that she'd be some force for positive change in israeli politics(lmfao)after hearing about her trying to change dumbass segregation regulations for bomb shelters and after watching that video of her tantrum in the knesset but gideon levy called it when he said she was israel's favorite know-it-all. Now she just kind of comes off as the kind of white person who would go to a civil rights demonstration back in the 60s because it's a just cause and yet have difficulty holding hands with a person of color in a march or some poo poo. Labor is no better than Likud.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Nothing interesting in the news right now (just another spying scandal) so let's go back in time a couple of months to the last big sexism scandal!

http://www.timesofisrael.com/pm-to-oppose-womens-torah-scrolls-at-western-wall-report/

quote:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is reportedly set to side with the ultra-Orthodox parties and oppose the use of Torah scrolls in the women’s section at the Western Wall.

Sources in the Prime Minister’s Office told Army Radio on Tuesday that Netanyahu would support the status quo at the Jerusalem holy site in a state response to a High Court of Justice petition demanding that women be permitted to bring scrolls into their section.

The petition was submitted by the Women of the Wall group, which seeks to promote women’s prayer rights at the site and has long advocated for permission to bring Torah scrolls into the women’s section as part of their services, which is prohibited under the rules of the site.

In the past, the group has smuggled a mini-Torah scroll into the women’s section. During a service in April, male supporters of the group hoisted a scroll over the divider between the men’s and women’s sections, sparking violent opposition from other worshipers.

Women of the Wall gather at the Western Wall at the start of each Jewish month for the morning prayer service. Its members have long been at odds with staff from the office of the rabbi of the Western Wall and the holy sites of Israel, and with police, for holding services that violate the rules enforced by the office.

A 2013 Supreme Court ruling acknowledged women’s right to pray at the Western Wall according to their beliefs, claiming it does not violate what has come to be known as the “local custom.”

Regulations at the site set by the office, though, while allowing women to wear prayer shawls and kippot, prevent them from using a Torah scroll in their section.

The decision about Torah scrolls in the women’s section comes despite a speech given by Netanyahu in November, in which he espoused support for efforts to make the Western Wall more inclusive.

Speaking at the Jewish Federations of North America’s annual General Assembly, Netanyhau said he hoped his government would reach the “long overdue understanding that will ensure that the Kotel [Western Wall] will be a source of unity for the Jewish people, not a point of division."

He received warm applause when he said that his government was working to strengthen “Reform and Conservative communities within Israel.”

“As prime minister of Israel, I will always ensure that all Jews can feel at home in Israel, Reform Jews, Conservative Jews, Orthodox Jews,” Netanyahu pledged.

“The unity of the Jewish people is important at all times, but especially in these times,” he added.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ethnic cleansing implies ethnic cleansing, what you are proposing is ethnic cleansing. Your usage of the term 'landless people' is very 19th century zionist, very good.

I guess you weren't present in this thread the last time I was called a genocide apologist but I actually distinguish between ethnic cleansing and all forms of mass murder and genocide, so you might be barking up the wrong tree.

And I'm sorry but I have little qualms about calling someone who unreservedly calls for ethnic cleansing a racist cause well.. you are?

"If some rear end in a top hat on the internet isn't calling you a racist, then you need to step up your game, homie." - Josef Stalin

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Maoist Pussy posted:

"If some rear end in a top hat on the internet isn't calling you a racist, then you need to step up your game, homie." - Josef Stalin

Thanks for admitting you're a troll.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
No, it is pointing out that people who can't hold differing opinions without crying racism are Badpost Makers.

quote:

Ethnic cleansing literally means forced resettlement. Why not resettle the Jewish people back to the US and Europe? You'd call that a huge tragedy, right? Hmm.

No, and it is stupid to try to invent stances for other people. I would have been happy to resettle the Jewish refugees in the US - its not like anyone is doing anything useful with Idaho, for instance. But that isn't how it happened, and they have every right to make a nation called Israel in that location.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Maoist Pussy posted:

No, it is pointing out that people who can't hold differing opinions without crying racism are Badpost Makers.

People can and do hold different opinions in this thread without accusing each other of racism, they just don't do it in your case because you're a racist advocating ethnic cleansing.

quote:

No, and it is stupid to try to invent stances for other people. I would have been happy to resettle the Jewish refugees in the US - its not like anyone is doing anything useful with Idaho, for instance. But that isn't how it happened, and they have every right to make a nation called Israel in that location.

By 'every right' do you mean 'no right'? If you're going to go off on a rant about some ridiculous 'natural rights' that you've just invented out of nowhere, please do, it's always hilarious.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Maoist Pussy posted:

But really, what's your solution? Seize all palestinian land and deport then to Egypt and Jordan?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Yes. Conflict ended.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And what of the Israeli Arabs?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Maoist Pussy posted:

Yes. Conflict ended.

Million+ new Palestinian citizens puts additional strain on nation already facing a massive influx of refugees, potential new Jordanian civil war, conflict resumes.

New Palestinian citizens in Egypt likely to be from Gaza, where support for Hamas is highest. Hamas bolsters the ranks of Islamist opposition to Egyptian government with veteran terrorists. Former Gazans treated with suspicion and mistrust by Egyptian government and (likely) people, giving them little reason to accept this new status quo, conflict resumes.

Like, you do get that Egypt and Jordan don't want to accept millions of Palestianians for no reason other than Israel doesn't want them, right?

E:
Also even if Jordan and Egypt were up for this, where would they go? The giant overabundance of land that Jordan has? Drop them off in Cairo and hope they can afford rent? Spend millions developing the infrastructure to build a new Gaza in the Sinai peninsula out of the goodness of Sisi's heart?

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 29, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Maoist Pussy posted:

You are advocating the forced resettlement of a major ethnic group to neighboring countries, frankly I'm quite surprised that being called a racist even offends you, members of the Israeli right who call for 'forced resettlements' usually have no problem admitting that they hate arabs, why do you care so much?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

DrProsek posted:

Like, you do get that Egypt and Jordan don't want to accept millions of Palestianians for no reason other than Israel doesn't want them, right?

Of course. Peace and resolution is clearly not the motive behind all these attempts to gently caress with Israel.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Maoist Pussy posted:

Of course. Peace and resolution is clearly not the motive behind all these attempts to gently caress with Israel.

No, I get that peace and resolution is not your motive for resettling Palestinians, but I'm asking even on paper how do you get Egypt or Jordan to get on board with this? Because without them, resettlement can't happen.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Maoist Pussy posted:

Yes. Conflict ended.

Why not deport the Israelis to Idaho?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The very fact that we're entertaining the notion that some sort of 'forced resettlement' can occur without a shitload of people getting murdered and terrorized in the process is ridiculous. They're just not gonna get up and leave you know? In 1948 it took the Hagana several massacres and terror attacks to get the exodus going and this ain't 1948 no more, Palestinians will not get up and flee, they fell for that trick once and now know they won't be allowed to ever return.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Panzeh posted:

Why not deport the Israelis to Idaho?

In my personal opinion? Probably just because I like Israelis and I like that there is a functional, westernized nation in the Levant.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Maoist Pussy posted:

In my personal opinion? Probably just because I like Israelis and I like that there is a functional, westernized nation in the Levant.

Idaho could use some civilization, too.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
True, but I feel like North America has less of a need right now.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Maoist Pussy posted:

Yes. Conflict ended.

And how do you justify that? Why these people have no right to their lands anymore? "might makes right" or something like that?

Also, what if they refuse to go, what's your suggestion then? Kill then all, I guess?

That said, inst that kinda what Israel is doing, anyway? Make their lives increasingly unbearable until they all give up and leave or just die. It will work, in time

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Maoist Pussy posted:

Here we are back to discussing, instead of the conflict, someone's boorish opinion about how to end it.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Elias_Maluco posted:

It will work, in time

Yes. It will.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Maoist Pussy posted:

Also, i wouldnt call Israel particularly functional. The people remind me of white south africans. See their reaction to the firing of David Blatt.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Maoist Pussy posted:

and I like that there is a functional, westernized nation in the Levant.

I agree, Kuwait is a p. cool place.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
no, you see, Israel's the only DEMOCRACY except for the parts with Arab majorities and Turkey and Lebanon, sort of

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I wonder how functional Israel will be once it inevitably gets a Haredi majority.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Cat Mattress posted:

I wonder how functional Israel will be once it inevitably gets a Haredi majority.

They'll probably be forced to change. Just did a quick google and it seems that Haredi employment is on the rise, especially amongst women which is pretty much on part with the national average (I'm guessing they don't particularly care for women becoming torah scholars). Of course that doesn't say anything about the quality of the empolyment and a lot of them live below the poverty line.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cat Mattress posted:

Don't you mean Neanderthals? Australopithecus is an ancestor to the entire Homo genus.

poo poo, you're right, I should have googled before I posted.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Some cultures are just incompatible with the modern world, and need to be eradicated for the benefit of us all

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

qnqnx posted:

Some cultures are just incompatible with the modern world, and need to be eradicated for the benefit of us all

That's a hosed up thing to say about Israel

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I agree, Kuwait is a p. cool place.

paging the awesome ghost to the thread

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i believe that we have travelling hearts. to be jewish is to have no home. when we have a home, we stop being jewish. we are the chosen people in our true state, which is stateless. it's timeless. we don't die

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i've never seen a jew die. never. in my heart i feel we're an immortal race. there are no dead jews in my family; we have lived since the pleistocene exactly as we are now. i'm several million years old, and so is ariel: an ancient fossil sent to teach you how to love.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

They'll probably be forced to change. Just did a quick google and it seems that Haredi employment is on the rise, especially amongst women which is pretty much on part with the national average (I'm guessing they don't particularly care for women becoming torah scholars). Of course that doesn't say anything about the quality of the empolyment and a lot of them live below the poverty line.

Haredi culture has always been for woman to go out and work to support the family while the men sit around and study Torah. It's just not economically sustainable for one parent to sit around reading religious texts all day, while the other acts as a sole breadwinner while also doing all the chores and raising their seven kids. Make no mistake about where the power lies, though - the Haredi political parties exclude women entirely, and the sexism is rampant.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
they're not all equal in height! objection

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

Israel, unlike most other states that abuse human rights, is abusing the human rights of people outside the borders of its state!

This is empirically false. Every single example I gave is abusing human rights outside of its borders, and all but Syria (who is currently incapable of projecting much abroad due to civil war) are doing so at a higher volume and severity than Israel.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The idea that Israel can control the territory and every aspect of their lives while not granting them equal rights is known as 'apartheid'. And besides, Israel already has 2 million palestinian citizens, that's a rather significant number.

What are you proposing?

You very well know the idea of Palestinian nationalism is extremely controversial among Arabs/Muslims in Israel, and many groups such as the Druze would largely virulently disagree with you on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe