Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bottom Liner posted:

Throw her into a COIN game ASAP.

Sorry, "COIN?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also anybody else playing Arcadia Quest? Is the "Beyond the Grave" expansion worth it?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Applewhite posted:

Played Candyland with my kids last night. I'm a bit disappointed with the shallow game mechanics. The outcome of the game is predetermined and requires no input from the player whatsoever! 1/10 for mechanics, 3/10 for graphic design. The instructions were easy to understand and it helped my daughter learn about colors, moving forwards, and taking turns. So 5/10 for it being a good introduction to tabletop gaming I guess.

But how is the price/weight ratio? I need to know if it's a good deal!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Sorry, "COIN?"

It was an unserious response to your post.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:agreed: go for the COIN.
My brother and I learned how to play the old Star Wars CCG game when we were in elementary school so in my experience, children have a lot better capacity for advanced board games than people think. I was able to teach my little cousin, in 3rd grade, how to play caverna pretty easily. Might try for dungeon lords next time. Skip the dumb, bad games.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

Throw her into a COIN game ASAP.

"I'm really glad you enjoyed Candyland! Tell me, how much do you know about the guerrilla wars in Colombia?"

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

homullus posted:

I would play a game of battling candy factions.

Candy VS Vegatables. Kidnapping and suicide bombing on Gumdrop Lane. Would loving own

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Puerto Rico with oompa loompa orange cylinder workers coming to work in the Wonka factory.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
poo poo a Kids COIN game would be ruthless. Kids take no prisoners.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
probably get a good COIN game of control of classrooms with the factions being Teachers, Administration, Students and Honors Students.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

The Warriors COIN

CAAAN YOU DIIIIG IT?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My eleven year old sister has played Cuba Libre. I told her not to mention it around teachers.

COOL CORN posted:

"I'm really glad you enjoyed Candyland! Tell me, how much do you know about the guerrilla wars in Colombia?"

Does fruit count as candy?

Impermanent posted:

probably get a good COIN game of control of classrooms with the factions being Teachers, Administration, Students and Honors Students.

I've always wanted to make a mod for CK2 to make it a total conversion to a university.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
:lol:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

:eyepop:

It's gonna sell a billion copies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A cooperative, world-spanning game where you travel around, trying to stop the spread of eldritch cults and horrors, that will probably kick your rear end the first few times.

So, Eldritch Horror.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Came here to post that.

Just let me say :barf:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's just a reskin, right?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Played some Keyflower. I realize this won't come as a surprise or something here, but we all quite liked it. We're still very new, but I think we'll end up playing it a lot; when is it best to add expansions? Are they the kind that make everything better right away, or should we wait until we know the base stuff better?

Since someone finally got around to stickering it up, we also tried Catacombs. I don't know how much we'll end up playing it (it's certainly not the kind of game we normally play) but it's really pleasant so far. Very intuitive rules, with great art and components - and also some real strategy, and potential for amazing things to happen. And when those amazing things happen, it feels more earned than "rolling a 20" or something because somebody had to flick that disc.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BonHair posted:

It will almost certainly have some new rules but I'm sure the framework is the same.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Oh board games, board games, board games... Cthulu hasn't gotten old and tired yet? Okay, if you say so...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jmzero posted:

Since someone finally got around to stickering it up, we also tried Catacombs. I don't know how much we'll end up playing it (it's certainly not the kind of game we normally play) but it's really pleasant so far. Very intuitive rules, with great art and components - and also some real strategy, and potential for amazing things to happen. And when those amazing things happen, it feels more earned than "rolling a 20" or something because somebody had to flick that disc.

Catacombs is excellent and I wish I got it to the table more often. Honestly I don't know why I don't, everyone in my group loves it. Maybe I'll bust it out before our Strike! session tomorrow!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Oh board games, board games, board games... Cthulu hasn't gotten old and tired yet? Okay, if you say so...

Are there really that many Cthulu themed games out there? FFG's 'Horror' series and Steven Jackson's dice game are the only ones that stand out in my mind.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Merauder posted:

Are there really that many Cthulu themed games out there? FFG's 'Horror' series and Steven Jackson's dice game are the only ones that stand out in my mind.

Also Munchkin Cthluhu, and Mansions of Madness, CoC LCG and Elder Sign from FFG.

There's an awful lot of unofficial Lovecraft-esque stuff out there too

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Merauder posted:

There are literally hundreds. Just look around BGG.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

And here I was just saying Eldritch Horror and Pandemic have a ton in common :v:

Yeaaah I dunno about this one.

Merauder posted:

There's quite a few. Not as many as 'fantasy' or 'sci-fi' but its one of the biggest settings after that, probably as many or more than there are 'wild west' themed games.

I think lovecraft is kinda cool so I don't mind it so much, but I also don't really care for the cutesy chibi-cthulhu that a lot of them end up with which is so extremely anathema to everything lovecraft.

And I'm not talking about things like the Kraken in King of Tokyo, he's fine. I mean all the people with their cthulhu plushies and stuff, like, ugh whatever.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Also Cthulhu Wars, Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror, Mansiosn of Madness, Elder Sign, Mythos, De Profundis, The Stars are Right, Cults Across America, Cthulhu Mash, Do You Worship Cthulhu, The Hills Rise Wild!, Witch of Salem, Unspeakable Words, When Darkness Comes: The Nameless Myst, Cthulhu Gloom and Cthulhu 500.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
That'd be a potentially fun Legacy game...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is there a Cthulhu worker placement game yet? Maybe something like Orleans where you have an exploration board looking for Cthulhu relics while your citizens and academics are busy trying to advance far enough to fight it off?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Not to mention Cthulhu Fluxx and other "me too" munchkin like games.

Chez Cthulhu, Cthulhu Rising, Innmouth Escape, Mythos, Tekeli-li,

Or again things like King of Tokyo or Smash Up or whatever that copy cthulhu even if they aren't strictly lovecraftian in setting.

ETB posted:

That'd be a potentially fun Legacy game...

Yeah that's what I want. Not Pandemic Cthulhu, but instead Eldritch Horror Legacy. :)

I'm down for Legacy anything that isn't Risk at this point.

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there a Cthulhu worker placement game yet? Maybe something like Orleans where you have an exploration board looking for Cthulhu relics while your citizens and academics are busy trying to advance far enough to fight it off?

Maybe you play as different cults and you're placing your followers/worshippers/cultists in different locations to disrupt humanity and fight for control of the elder signs in order to summon yourself onto the physical plane?

Cthulhu Wars is kinda like that, but it plays more like Risk than a worker placement.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My first thought was actually "Chaos in the Old World".

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Surprised it took this long. It's so easy to pander. Probably the easiest market segment to pander to and exploit.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Told my gaming group about it, they laughed but then I get this response:

quote:

aahh maan that Cthulu Pandemic is real
I just thought it was a bad joke

I wish it was.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

It doesn't exist as a real game, but my friend wrote a book of Lovecraft-inspired "metatexts". One of them involved an RPG that reverses the viewpoint--the player characters are shoggoths.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Anyone Tried B-Sieged It came out this week and seems to be pretty pricey at £74

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

There's Hornet Leader: Cthulu Conflict, in the Hornet Leader simulation series of flying fighter craft...except you shoot cthulus

I guess Monsterpocalypse could count, with a whole Cthulu faction. However, that game was perfect so it is forgiven

And of course everyone's favorite Kickstarter game, The Doom That Came to Atlantic City :haw:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sonatinas posted:

Surprised it took this long. It's so easy to pander. Probably the easiest market segment to pander to and exploit.

Nah, that's steampunk.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Nah, that's superheroes.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Nah, that's superheroes.

Nah, that's anime.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Played Candyland with my kids last night. I'm a bit disappointed with the shallow game mechanics. The outcome of the game is predetermined and requires no input from the player whatsoever! 1/10 for mechanics, 3/10 for graphic design. The instructions were easy to understand and it helped my daughter learn about colors, moving forwards, and taking turns. So 5/10 for it being a good introduction to tabletop gaming I guess.

You're playing candyland wrong it isn't a board game but a tool of philosophy

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I guess Monsterpocalypse could count, with a whole Cthulu faction. However, that game was perfect so it is forgiven

What happened to this game? I recall wanting to get into it but it was put on hold that never ended :sigh:

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

BonHair posted:

Some of the cubes will be green.