Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fintilgin posted:

I know this is optimal, but it feels so gamey I can never bring myself to do it. Instead I soak up all those extra costs for ~my immersion~.

I suspect it's on a hitlist Wiz has filed away somewhere though...

Well, it's optimal as long as you don't care about having <75% autonomy provinces, or their tax, production, trade power, and manpower.

Those can be pretty nice when playing most countries, especially those that start out smaller than Otto Mann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Bort Bortles posted:

I started up my game as Ethiopia and it looks like Clergy doesnt give a conversion bonus anymore?

I think that kicks in above 60 influence. Their provincial modifiers are variable just like the global estate bonuses

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fintilgin posted:

I know this is optimal, but it feels so gamey I can never bring myself to do it. Instead I soak up all those extra costs for ~my immersion~.

I suspect it's on a hitlist Wiz has filed away somewhere though...

Wiz posted:

You can call our overseas mechanic many things. 'Elegant' is not one of them. It's a clunky legacy mechanic.

Wiz posted:

It works, and thus far we haven't come up with something better to replace it with, but when we do its days are numbered.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

A dumb thing: especially as a smaller power, I find it's often better to not set more than one rival. Odds are your enemies have rivalled you too, so rivalling all of your enemies only makes them more likely to ally each other, and limits your own alliance opportunities.

It's like the new provinces of interest in diplomatic feedback; usually I don't even mark them since it pisses people off more regularly than it seems to actually get you any provinces. I guess occasionally you'll be able to do like that Albania guy and get Dalmatia for free out of nowhere, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I appreciate the feature for AI transparency for sure, but to actually go through the hassle of using it myself I wish it had an incentive. Like reduced AE on taking those provinces if you've had them marked for 10+ years or something.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

whats the most efficient way to strip development from an enemy during a peace deal? in terms of warscore. I *feel* like releasing countries costs more than making them return cores, but I haven't done the math to check. am I wrong? speaking mainly in terms of like, cutting Ottomans and other superpowers down to size. I ended up making release Trebizond, Aq Qoyunlu, Ramazan, and Ardalan so they had a line cutting off the Levant and Egypt. Was this best? It dropped their force limits by 20 and their income by maybe 25 ducats.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

shallowj posted:

whats the most efficient way to strip development from an enemy during a peace deal? in terms of warscore. I *feel* like releasing countries costs more than making them return cores, but I haven't done the math to check. am I wrong? speaking mainly in terms of like, cutting Ottomans and other superpowers down to size. I ended up making release Trebizond, Aq Qoyunlu, Ramazan, and Ardalan so they had a line cutting off the Levant and Egypt. Was this best? It dropped their force limits by 20 and their income by maybe 25 ducats.

That's the best move for the Ottomans, since it makes all their Syrian and African land distant-overseas, forcing a 75% autonomy floor. But otherwise it doesn't really matter, they cost the same base WS, so it's just what your CB will give you discounts for.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Koramei posted:

It's like the new provinces of interest in diplomatic feedback; usually I don't even mark them since it pisses people off more regularly than it seems to actually get you any provinces. I guess occasionally you'll be able to do like that Albania guy and get Dalmatia for free out of nowhere, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I appreciate the feature for AI transparency for sure, but to actually go through the hassle of using it myself I wish it had an incentive. Like reduced AE on taking those provinces if you've had them marked for 10+ years or something.

It can also help your allies from taking stuff in a war you're supporting them in. If you mark a province they don't care about and they capture it, they'll either give it to you (yay) or won't take it and force you to grab it from them later (even better). It also helps make sure you give your allies provinces they care about in wars if they're demanding territory instead of favors.

It can however, piss people off royally as in my Albania game France now hates my guts as I marked all of Iberia.

edit: by the way, the new "territory or favors" system for offensive wars is great. no more being able to have Austria and France fight the whole world for you with nothing expected in return.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 29, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eh, it's still kinda of ridiculous that they'll throw everything they have into a fight they shouldn't care about, just because you earned 10 favors somewhere.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

I started up my game as Ethiopia and it looks like Clergy doesnt give a conversion bonus anymore?

They do, you just need 60+ loyalty to get it. That's how it's always been.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fintilgin posted:

I would normally be inclined to agree, and I didn't really set up anything for Yemen, but going forward in that game involved me conquering most of Arabia, the richer parts of Iraq, and half of western Africa, and even with a very big chunk of those being vassal-fed and diploannexed I was starving for ADM points even near the end of the game. When I got to the Levant I decided, gently caress it, set up a Client State on the Suez, and cored whatever I took to the north of it at reduced cost.

Another thing I seriously starved for in my Ethiopia game was actually money, because as I said in an earlier post, Kilwa allied the Ottomans and that blocked me off goldmines other than Kaffa until I conquered some of Mali's and started getting gold fleets from Australia. Ethiopia's lands are seriously bad, though, so even then Kaffa made a large enough percentage of my income that I still faced inflation issues (at some point I had a lot of loans I was unable to pay off that made that matter worse). Economic might make for a very good mid-game idea set for Ethiopia for that reason alone, dealing with inflation without a passive modifier will put a serious strain on your ability to maintain enough ADM to core conquests and keep pushing on in technology otherwise.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

That >60 seems way harder to maintain now. Or maybe that's just because I'm playing the TO, and constantly get +15/-15 loyalty events for heir picks.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Bort Bortles posted:

I am thinking of starting an Ironman Ethiopia run today. Any advice other than Religious first and Exploration second that I need? Rush to take Jerusalem before the Ottomans get claims, also cutting them off from Egypt?

The most recent patch specifically countered this, 'missions to conquer Egypt no longer depend on the Mamlukes'.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

That >60 seems way harder to maintain now. Or maybe that's just because I'm playing the TO, and constantly get +15/-15 loyalty events for heir picks.

It is, since they changed it so that loyalty decays towards 50. It's a good change because if you have a an estate with like 39 loyalty you can just wait a while until they get up to 40 rather than giving them more influence to appease them or praying for a good event.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Decided to do a Prestor John run. I've got the Horn of Africa conquered but I'm having to stop expanding due to needing ADM points for Religious ideas. Also I've noticed that taking territory seems to expand the distance necessary before I get distant overseas penalty. Did they change something? I don't think I'll be able to use vassals to cut ADM costs down.

Anyway, here's the Reformation popping up in 1497, about 20 years into France's PU over Austria.

There's a lot going on in that picture.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Have AI armies always replenished most of their morale right after a battle? I guess I must have not noticed it to any degree. Kind of annoying I can have a battle that lasts a month in a mountain with 140k people, an army gets their a day after the battle ends and is fighting a mostly full morale army that just took lost half their men in casualties. Before you ask these armies have basically the exact same morale.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

All armies (player ones included) get a morale boost after a victory. This is so that large armies don't get stomped on by small reinforcements.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

TTBF posted:

All armies (player ones included) get a morale boost after a victory. This is so that large armies don't get stomped on by small reinforcements.

This is important because I got really good at shittily running my main army away just a day before my next army would show up. I'd get a defeat but they'd get stackwiped.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

axeil posted:

-Ottomans have been expanding like nuts to my east
-France has grabbed some of Spain so unless Spain takes it back we'll come to blows over it
-Bohemia is getting big, the 30 Years War might be really, really ugly
-If Austria and Brandenburg come to blows I don't know who to support. Probably Austria?

I think I've got a really good shot at pulling it off, so long as I can hurt Castille enough so they don't become a colonial juggernaut. And assuming the Ottomans don't finally turn their eyes my way. Anyone else who wants to try and pull off what I think is the hardest, non-insane achievement, this is the strategy to go with. Although I guess you can't bank on Austria calling you into war like that...

So i did this achievement pretty recently, it was a lot of fun. If it's possible to ally Poland, do so. Go over the relations cap if necessary. Basically you want to build up a crusade of varna 2.0 and drive the otto man out of europe at all costs. If you can get them on the backfoot, you basically have an avenue for AE-"free" expansion to the east. Once you have the entirety of the Balkans and Anatolia under your jackboot before 1650 or so then the rest of the achievement is fairly easy.

(Fig 1. It was all a formality after this :smug:)

If this isn't possible, I'd side with Brandenburg over Austria. If you can beat up on Austria together , you can westernize for free by taking Vienna, and get a massive income boost from the goldmine in Tyrol.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
You know what's bullshit? Building up 90 trust with Austria, making your alliance with them the centrepiece of your foreign policy, and then having your alliance broken with them because they took too much unlawful imperial territory.

I still don't get why my country's opinion of other countries is totally out of my control? And yes, I know that I can set them to liked in the new diplomacy system, but that doesn't help when they have a -180 too much imperial territory modifier.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Got called into war against the Ottomans. Was wondering what I'd need to do to win, and then I saw their army composition.

Their full military is 15/7/28

e: Wow, they shat out 30k infantry pretty quickly.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 30, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The AI will do a large military buildup if it finds itself in a war like that. Peacetime standing army size should not be taken as indicative of what you would face if you go up against a country.

Fighting the Ottomans before you are ready is just not worth it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

VDay posted:

Exploration can be safely taken second because no one's going to be beating you to south africa and the indies. Religious first, meanwhile, lets you get nice and big and stable early.

This is less true than ever in my experience. The Europeans used to take forever to get to the Cape, but they are faster about it in recent patches, so Exploration first is important. I generally prefer Humanism rather than Religious second - it is a better long-term solution to unrest, and as long as you balance your early conquests between Coptic and Sunni provinces you won't be too unstable until around the time you get your second idea group anyway.

As for the Mamluks people are being a bit too paranoid about them itt I think. You never fight the first war alone - let the Ottomans totally wreck the Mamluks, then just declare war and take your own cut. It is pretty easy to just do this twice and take the Red Sea coastal provinces and Jerusalem. Taking Jerusalem is a good idea if you go Humanism, at least for a while - the second missionary is what makes up for not taking Religious in terms of getting your religious unity under control. A third war will generally let you get Alexandria or another Mediterranean coastal province, which will make you a viable ally to Austria and Poland. This is a more aggressive approach than doing east Africa first, but it has diplomatic and religious benefits that are highly significant. Of course, you should still be pushing further into east Africa and the Arabian Peninsula as opportunity calls while this is going on, too.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TTBF posted:

Got called into war against the Ottomans. Was wondering what I'd need to do to win, and then I saw their army composition.

Their full military is 15/7/28

e: Wow, they shat out 30k infantry pretty quickly.

bet you they're mercenaries

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

You honestly don't need the Cape; I didn't manage to get it in my game, but if I were more aggressive towards it than filling the inland uncolonised provinces I would have beat the Euros to it with exploration only having been my third idea group. I would suggest, if anyone's attempt at Prester John makes it look like it, a military idea group as the second one (possibly Quantity but you will likely not be able to afford your maximum forcelimits after the midgame unless you have all the east African gold). Religious Ideas are almost mandatory in my opinion, you can lessen wrong religion issues with Humanist, but Coptic gets a +1 to Tolerance of the True faith you won't get any mileage out of with Sunni provinces, and Coptic is so isolated there's not really that much room to balance your expansion after the first 30 or 40 years of the game; you are already a third Sunni at start.

Westernisation was a bit tricky. In my game I ended up westernising from I believe a westernised Morocco after I'd torn through west Africa. Getting borders to the north African states might be a good idea just for that. Another thing I'd learned in that game was also that all west Africa's gold is on the western half of the subcontinent, there was a lot of non-gold provinces I had to go through to get access to that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The main advantage of going Religious vs. Humanist is it gives you a blanket CB against everyone.

If you take Humanist, you're going to be doing a lot of claim fabrication, which blows really hard right now.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm wrapping up an aggressively played Ottomans game right now and I'm enjoying expanding in a bunch of different directions and balancing coalitions/cheesing Distant Overseas modifiers. I think I want to follow it up with a similar game played by a European power; who would be the best choice for this? I could see somebody like Hungary working pretty well for a highly similar to Ottomans game, but I'm also sort of thinking playing as a Castille that forcevassals Portugal, makes sure Aragon keeps Naples, and possibly tears into southern France while also moving into the Balkans via Naples.

Basically who's a good European country to expand aggressively with but also avoid the nightmare coalition web that is the HRE as long as possible? Western tech isn't a must (so maybe something like a Poland that snipes Constantinople then immediately eats the Ottomans would work as well?).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Muscovy to Russia can be real good for expanding in all directions, you can expand into Europe through Lithuania/the Commonwealth and Sweden, and into India through central Asia, and eventually you'll colonise your way to northern China also.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

YF-23 posted:

The AI will do a large military buildup if it finds itself in a war like that. Peacetime standing army size should not be taken as indicative of what you would face if you go up against a country.

Fighting the Ottomans before you are ready is just not worth it.

It was a minor set-back.

As you can see, Europe got freaky. The Poland-Lithuania PU fell apart at some point. As I posted earlier, France got a PU over Austria extremely early in the game, although it fell apart after about 40 years. The lack of Austria did make the Emperor title bounce back and forth, with Savoy being rather dominant. Iberia and France were in TI for a while, and when I finally saw them, Aragon had gobbled up most of Castille. Iraq owns most of the Arabian peninsula, aside from Yemen which is my march. The Ottomans extend all the way to India, which gave them the strength to punch so far into Europe. Part of the reason for this is the Timurids stayed intact and kept allying Trebizond, which the Ottomans had a mission to conquer. They ignored the Mamluks for a few decades.

I started by rushing the other Coptic nations, before heading after Adal. I went up and took Makuria/Alodia, stopping at the Egyptian border. At this point I was kind of messed up in terms of religious unity, and all the coring left me with no ideas. So I sat around for a while, until I was able to begin converting all those provinces. At that point I began heading south, occasionally going back up north to steal one or two provinces from the Mamluks while they were distracted by the Ottomans.

I took exploration but didn't make it to the cape before England, who then went after Australia. I managed to take all but three provinces (one of which was Cape) and I've kept England out of Indonesia. As the Ottomans began to close in on the Mamluks, i tried to get European allies. No one would ally me due to distance penalties, so I took a risk and carved a path to the Mediterranean out of the Mamluks. France and Austria allied me almost immediately. I put a province in the New World next to Brazil and westernized off that. I sold the province afterwards because it wasn't really helping me and I didn't want to worry about Brazil declaring war over nothing.

The Ottomans got forced into a rather tough spot around 1640. The Ottomans and their allies got into a slugfest with essentially every non-Iberian continental European nation. Ottomans had their manpower drained and most of its alliances were stripped away. After that there was a cycle where the Ottomans would start a hell war with Austria, France and myself, just to be pounced on by the Lithuania bloc and the Naples bloc. As we took apart the Ottomans piecemeal, I gathered enough favors and trust to get those four powers into one mega war, where I took Antioch and Constantinople.

When fighting the wars in the lead up, I put up a line of forts on my border, and cautiously advanced into their territory. After I took one or two forts they'd send about 100k people my way, and then I'd fall back behind the forts. They'd free a few of their provinces, head back to the European frontlines, and I'd start sieging again. Rinse and repeat. I retreated from any fight which started to not go my way. I was able to keep my manpower intact and tie them up on a pointless front.

For ideas I went religious, exploration, influence, quantity, and then economics. Influence was because I thought I'd be doing a lot of diplo-annexing but I only did that to Funj. I probably should have gone with a different idea set but I was cursed by 200 years of lovely monarchs so I had to do a diplo group. I'll probably continue this game and get defensive, administrative, and quality to round things out. I'm hoping I can grab the middle east and Anatolia to do Prestor John the right way. This was a "the stars have aligned" run for sure.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 30, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

FadingChord posted:

I'm wrapping up an aggressively played Ottomans game right now and I'm enjoying expanding in a bunch of different directions and balancing coalitions/cheesing Distant Overseas modifiers. I think I want to follow it up with a similar game played by a European power; who would be the best choice for this? I could see somebody like Hungary working pretty well for a highly similar to Ottomans game, but I'm also sort of thinking playing as a Castille that forcevassals Portugal, makes sure Aragon keeps Naples, and possibly tears into southern France while also moving into the Balkans via Naples.

Basically who's a good European country to expand aggressively with but also avoid the nightmare coalition web that is the HRE as long as possible? Western tech isn't a must (so maybe something like a Poland that snipes Constantinople then immediately eats the Ottomans would work as well?).

Genoa. They start small, but you have four theaters of war to start with: Italy and the Black Sea are obvious. You can declare a merchant republic war to take Ragusa and open the Balkans up. Finally, you start with a mission to take Gibraltar, which will put you in a position to colonize. Dealings with the HRE are limited to sniping provinces from Italian minors, which the Germans don't really care about.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kersch posted:

I think that kicks in above 60 influence. Their provincial modifiers are variable just like the global estate bonuses

Fister Roboto posted:

Huh, I moused over the modifiers and I didnt see anything indicating that it would kick in, which is why I was confused. It doesnt help that I only had limited playing time before this patch and did not play with a non-horde much :v:

What is the best way to get the Clergy over 60 since the patch?

Jazerus posted:

This is less true than ever in my experience. The Europeans used to take forever to get to the Cape, but they are faster about it in recent patches, so Exploration first is important. I generally prefer Humanism rather than Religious second - it is a better long-term solution to unrest, and as long as you balance your early conquests between Coptic and Sunni provinces you won't be too unstable until around the time you get your second idea group anyway.
I am usually a huge Humanism fanboy but I have to agree with others that Religious is more useful to Ethiopia. Once I get to sit down a play it I am thinking I will go Religious, Exploration, Economic, then two Mil ideas. That is obviously flexible based on my monarch and the situation.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bort Bortles posted:

I am usually a huge Humanism fanboy but I have to agree with others that Religious is more useful to Ethiopia. Once I get to sit down a play it I am thinking I will go Religious, Exploration, Economic, then two Mil ideas. That is obviously flexible based on my monarch and the situation.
Religious is good for the simple reason that it support painting 3 separate map modes your color, instead of just 1.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Humanism is obviously good and has its place, but Religious gives you a free CB on most of the world if you're one of the smaller religions like Coptic or Orthodox, gives you a bunch of +stab events, gives you a really good +discipline/+morale policy if you take Quality later, and saves you a ton of Dip points through free peace deals that you can use to get ahead in Dip tech and colonize quickly, or absorb a bunch of territory through vassals and save up most of your admin point to get your second idea faster.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus if you have conversion/tolerance national ideas makes it work just like humanism, with a couple months needed to convert.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Religious is good for the simple reason that it support painting 3 separate map modes your color, instead of just 1.
The best reason.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Where do Authority and reforms show up for the Inti? I don't see it anywhere on the Religion tab.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fuligin posted:

Where do Authority and reforms show up for the Inti? I don't see it anywhere on the Religion tab.

bottom of the screen, around where the HRE tab appears.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Has anyone here done a Rajput Reich run? I've got a few questions if so.

Here's where I'm at:

My plan is basically

1) consolidate india
2) dig a tunnel to freedom through the caspian states then russia, while hoping the ottomans don't rival me
3) vassalize TO/brandenburg and feed them the HRE

Is this a good enough position after 100 years for this to be feasible or am I too far behind?

Also, Is it possible to vassal block with the timurids here? Is it worth making them a march? (they still have most of their cores in Persia)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Is this new, or have I just never noticed it before? I love how there is a "You're loving terrible." penalty in a peace deal.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Node posted:

Is this new, or have I just never noticed it before? I love how there is a "You're loving terrible." penalty in a peace deal.

It's it the 1.15 patchnotes that I just read five minutes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man, the AI is pretty terrible at being on the losing side of a war these days. I try to help my allies, but when my stack is getting attacked by a stack 1.5 times it's size, they just sit around in the adjacent province waiting to get killed. gently caress allies, I don't even know why I tried to help you in the first place.

• Locked thread