Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The rear end Stooge posted:

I listened to metal sporadically in my teen years but since I had terrible taste none of it was good. Dragonforce was a really important band to me at the time. It wasn't until I discovered Agalloch in my early 20s that I realized what good metal sounded like.

Dragonforce is tailor made for the 17 year old male in high school. I should know, I was one of them. Still know every lyric off Inhuman Rampage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Chromatic posted:

gently caress, Robb Flynn is calling out Phil and was backstage where the "white wine" wasn't. Phil also said to Robb that he "hated the friend of the family era of Machine Head."

But Down is sooooooooooooo good. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCBKzWg4WYo

I hate these talking-into-your-webcam videos, but good on Rob. I get that people don't care/don't want to hear about certain subjects in their metal, but if you're going to get all salty and cry about censorship and SJWs anytime somebody questions one of your heroes, you need to grow the gently caress up.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Prong, Primal Fear, and Exumer all have new albums coming out today. Yesssss. :getin:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Chromatic posted:

gently caress, Robb Flynn is calling out Phil and was backstage where the "white wine" wasn't. Phil also said to Robb that he "hated the friend of the family era of Machine Head."

But Down is sooooooooooooo good. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCBKzWg4WYo

ahaha RIP

it's not like there's nobody giving Phil poo poo over it though so idk what "deafening silence" he's on about

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I think he's talking about other bands who have been sick of his poo poo for a while.

Edit: Even if other bands hate it, I can see why they would look the other way. Anselmo is a huge name in metal and calling him out might alienate a huge portion of metal listeners. That's not a wise business decision to do if you're struggling money wise.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 29, 2016

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Chromatic posted:

I think he's talking about other bands who have been sick of his poo poo for a while.

Edit: Even if other bands hate it, I can see why they would look the other way. Anselmo is a huge name in metal and calling him out might alienate a huge portion of metal listeners. That's not a wise business decision to do if you're struggling money wise.

Also, aside from Anselmo in particular being real popular and connected, there are obviously lots of metalheads who see no problem with his behavior and will get really pissed if you suggest that maybe it's not cool to be sig heiling in TYOOL 2016, so there's that.

Anyway: http://thehardtimes.net/2016/01/28/phil-anselmo-apologizes-for-waiting-until-end-of-show-before-paying-tribute-to-hitler/

quote:

Other fans just chose to ignore the salute altogether.

“I tried watching the video on my laptop, but it wouldn’t load. So, I don’t know — where’s the proof?” fan Thomas Cleary said, pausing before desperately continuing, “Come on, I don’t want to throw my Pantera shirts away.”

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Hulk Krogan posted:

Also, aside from Anselmo in particular being real popular and connected, there are obviously lots of metalheads who see no problem with his behavior and will get really pissed if you suggest that maybe it's not cool to be sig heiling in TYOOL 2016, so there's that.

Now that's what I call white whine

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I used to find new music in the early 90's by going to the local store and picking out any tapes or CD's that had a cool looking covers because there was no metal on tv or the radio. Eventually by the mid-late 90's I had dial-up and so could yell at people not to touch the phone for 3 hours while I downloaded a 3MB sample song from some Austrialian metal website I found randomly. So I still ended up guessing from the poo poo selection at the local store up until the late 90's and it was a total crapshoot. I'm still pissed I wasted my allowance on an Unleashed album in '97 that I bought purely because the logo looked awesome and it had a viking helmet on the cover. Although I still laugh if I think about this song:

you're a mediawhore
with cocaine up your rear end
a mediawhore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S9MbetUUqo

At a time when I was all about dark, EVIL poo poo with keyboards and melody, this was like sandpaper in my ears.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Chromatic posted:

Phil also said to Robb that he "hated the friend of the family era of Machine Head."

To be fair he looked like a complete loving tool with the cornrows and jumpdafuckup stage moves.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Also, aside from Anselmo in particular being real popular and connected, there are obviously lots of metalheads who see no problem with his behavior

Say what you will about Pantera, but they knew their audience well.

Exhibit A, the average Pantera fan circa 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwj_aNz9DyI&t=225s

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 29, 2016

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

comes along bort posted:

To be fair he looked like a complete loving tool with the cornrows and jumpdafuckup stage moves.

He did, but then he went back and put out some amazing albums.

Reading the comments of Blabbermouth, Metalsucks, and Metalinjection is just depressing. Did you know the white race is actually a minority now and will soon be extinct if we don't do anything?

Where the gently caress do people get this poo poo?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Chromatic posted:

He did, but then he went back and put out some amazing albums.

Reading the comments of Blabbermouth, Metalsucks, and Metalinjection is just depressing. Did you know the white race is actually a minority now and will soon be extinct if we don't do anything?

Reddit.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Chromatic posted:

We have such sights to show you

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
John Petrucci did an AMA to pimp DT's new album that I probably won't listen to cause I'm still butthurt about Portnoy leaving.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I used to be really into Dream Theater but I just don't think I can endure two hours of iPhone solos and lyrics about loving Lord Nefarious.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Who's going to ask why they decided to make a boring garbage album?

Then there's Stormfront, which admittedly would've been a badass name for a metal band, were it not for the unfortunate association.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Defiant Sally posted:

For any crusty old motherfuckers in here, I was wondering, what was it like to hear poo poo like Master of Puppets and One for the first time in your lives? I feel like hearing that kind of poo poo for the first time back in the 80's when we weren't drowning in metal and when you didn't have the internet to desensitize you would blast your dick clean off.

Grade 12 was the time of Blind Guardian and Ensiferum and poo poo for me. 2005 was a good year but then I started getting into more and more power metal and terrible poo poo like Sonata Arctica post Silence. Now I don't listen to it at all.

I'm 36. My buddy Josh (who is now the bassist in Yellowcard, but still a metalhead at heart) gave me some cassettes for my 8th birthday. Motley Crue, Van Halen, and a dub of Master of Puppets. The opening of "Battery" and the following onslaught pretty much changed my life (I barely listened to the other tapes). I definitely remember hearing all that poo poo for the first time after I started to hunt down all their albums. Never gonna have that feeling again, but I remember.

It's like when I asked my dad what it was like when The Beatles were on Ed Sullivan. He said it was "like being struck by lightning."

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Crusty old man here, enough that I was able to grow up with Maiden and Priest (never did really get into Sabbath). My siblings were into the shock rock of the era such as KISS and Alice Cooper but I never got into those bands either. I don't recall what exactly I was listening to when I heard Metallica for the first time (probably Motley Crue? They were big then), but it was Ride the Lightning. My brother picked it up and I didn't know what to expect but what immediately hit me was the chugs. Before the early 80's it really wasn't common to have a lot of palm-muted chug riffs, and hearing it used so liberally was my hook into the album. Once Master of Puppets came out that was it for me- I had found my perfect album. The better production, even more chuggs, heavier, I seriously listened to that album on rotation for years. It got me into wanting to play music for myself, and I would try to learn all of the songs. Other bands came into my sphere of influence, and they all had something to offer: Slayer, with the fast thrash, double-bass and ridiculous screams; Anthrax, with the mosh chugs and gang vocals; Testament, Nuclear Assault, Megadeth, etc.. But none had the hold on me like Metallica did. You can't underestimate what an influence they had then. (Keep in mind, Lars was even considered a good drummer!)
I was in high school when AJFA came out and I remember not even knowing about it (no internet, pure word of mouth and such) and I just saw it in a record store and immediately had to have it. It may have been the first CD I owned? Certainly one of the first. CD's just started becoming a thing in the mid-late 80's. Ate that album up too, but even then their influence started to wane.
I was in college when the black album came out and remember hearing Enter Sandman before the release. Thought it was ok, but didn't quite grab me and I wasn't sure why. It wasn't as heavy somehow? Maybe they released the mainstream song as the single? Sign of things to come I guess. At this point other bands got heavier, chunkier, and just more interesting, while Metallica became lesser in all of those things.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Hulk Krogan posted:

I used to be really into Dream Theater but I just don't think I can endure two hours of iPhone solos and lyrics about loving Lord Nefarious.

I don't remember any iPhone solos, then again I don't remember much about the new album even though I listened to it an hour ago. Really underwhelming, I've enjoyed Labrie's solo albums more than what Dream Theater put out these days to be honest.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

NarkyBark posted:

(Keep in mind, Lars was even considered a good drummer!)

He'll always have a tiny place in my heart for this goofy rear end fill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhkEekjNxjc&t=242s

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

^ hahahahaha

Strangely enough the thread about that video on /r/metal sounds like it would come from this thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comments/43a34f/robb_flynn_expresses_his_opinion_about_the_white/

Probably gonna blast some Machine Head tonight. Burn My Eyes, More Things Change and Blackening are legitimate classics imo.

charismaslover posted:

Really underwhelming, I've enjoyed Labrie's solo albums more than what Dream Theater put out these days to be honest.

I've heard that those are more Peter Wildoer's doing than anything else. The songs have his fingerprints all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVRo2zIENuE

I haven't heard all of Labrie's solo stuff but Static Impulse is surprisingly good.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 29, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

comes along bort posted:

He'll always have a tiny place in my heart for this goofy rear end fill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhkEekjNxjc&t=242s

Somebody left the bass in the mix by accident...

There's something that sounds so off about the bass drum rhythm on the intro riff. Like he was barely able to play the song at all and couldn't quite nail the double bass parts correctly.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

From Petrucci's AMA:

"On the album the story is focused more on the human characters and their struggles, however the NOMAC story will be explored further in future novelization."

Who's excited for a Dream Theater novel?!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vargatron posted:

There's something that sounds so off about the bass drum rhythm on the intro riff. Like he was barely able to play the song at all and couldn't quite nail the double bass parts correctly.

It's a weird syncopation, close to a d-beat (actually it's pretty similar to the beat from hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing but in 7 instead of 4) but he's doing it consistently so it's not a case of him just having lovely timing.

Cocaine is a wonderdrug.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Don't care much for Machine Head but Robb Flynn is on loving point there. Phil Anselmo is a giant, racist piece of poo poo. gently caress him and gently caress his music.

gently caress you too if you support / dont think its a big deal to be sieg heiling out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbB9NCYzQVU

You literally support that if so.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 20, 2018

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Chromatic posted:

I've heard that those are more Peter Wildoer's doing than anything else. The songs have his fingerprints all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVRo2zIENuE

I haven't heard all of Labrie's solo stuff but Static Impulse is surprisingly good.

Yeah I remember reading an interview about Wildoer's involvement with writing the songs. I do think that James sounds better on his own albums as well but I was surprised at how solid the solo material when I first heard it.

If you like Static Impulse then you should check out his follow up to that Impermanent Resonance, I think it came out a couple of years ago.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Listened to Exumer's new album and it's a pretty drat good slab of thrash metal. Between this and Dystopia, this is shaping up to be a good year for thrash.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I'm 40 in a couple of months. It might be just me but what I somehow miss from back in the days before the internet is that I could listen to single albums for weeks and sometimes longer. On a dailly base. Nowadays there's so much to find and discover that it feels like i've lost the capacity to really apreciate an album. As if I am always in a state of searching for "real good poo poo" that never ends.

Thinking of it, I should stop this dumb habbit.

Iron Crowned posted:

I can blame Korn for my appreciation of metal :shrug:

That's RATM for me.

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 30, 2016

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Klaaz posted:

Nowadays there's so much to find and discover that it feels like i've lost the capacity to really apreciate an album. As if I am always in a state of searching for "real good poo poo" that never ends.

:same:

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Vintersorg posted:

Don't care much for Machine Head but Robb Flynn is on loving point there. Phil Anselmo is a giant, racist piece of poo poo. gently caress him and gently caress his music.

gently caress you too if you support / dont think its a big deal to be sieg heiling out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbB9NCYzQVU

You literally support that if so.

You have to seperate the product from the creator. Varg is a racist criminal piece of poo poo but that doesn't stop Burzum from still being extremely good, same way I still bump Megadeth despite Dave being a Freeper nutjob.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

H13 posted:

It's one of the reasons why I can't ever stop worshipping Metallica. Absolutely I've heard all their songs about a million times, but I'll never forget the absolute brain-shattering first time.

I feel the same way about : a) the Misfits, b) the Sisters of Mercy, c) Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds and d) Earth.

Wow. I am totally in the wrong thread, aren't I? Yet I look at this thread every day. EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

a retard posted:

You have to seperate the product from the creator. Varg is a racist criminal piece of poo poo but that doesn't stop Burzum from still being extremely good, same way I still bump Megadeth despite Dave being a Freeper nutjob.

No, you don't have to separate them; you choose to. Some people (me included) choose not to.

There are plenty of other bands out there that aren't huge toolbags to be listened to.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

El Miguel posted:

I feel the same way about : a) the Misfits, b) the Sisters of Mercy, c) Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds and d) Earth.

Wow. I am totally in the wrong thread, aren't I? Yet I look at this thread every day. EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I wanna know which Misfits, SoM, and Nick Cave songs were brain shattering for you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

No, you don't have to separate them; you choose to. Some people (me included) choose not to.

There are plenty of other bands out there that aren't huge toolbags to be listened to.

It's also incredibly easy to enjoy art without supporting the artist, especially in the music biz. Either viewpoint is perfectly reasonable.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

a retard posted:

I used to feel this way until I realized that there is way too much good music out there to spend my listening time(Which is increasingly shorter as I get older) on idiots.

I expect Phil to respond sometime in the next few days so that will either clear everything up or make it 100x worse. Either way I win.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

mobby_6kl posted:

Who's going to ask why they decided to make a boring garbage album?

Then there's Stormfront, which admittedly would've been a badass name for a metal band, were it not for the unfortunate association.

Stormlord are alright aren't they?

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I loved every single one of those Metal Days of Yore stories guys. I wish I could have had a similar experience with Metallica but I suppose the closest thing would have been the first time I heard "Into Battle" by Ensiferum at 17 while downloading random poo poo off LimeWire. This was the first time I ever heard Melodic Death Metal (or extreme power metal) and I remember I just kind of blanked out and stared at my screen while trying to comprehend what I was hearing. I didn't even know music like that existed until I heard it for the first time. Then I spent the rest of my week trawling LimeWire for similar styles of music. Now if only Jari would release Time II...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUz4VlSja58&t=212s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Stars War posted:

Where can I go and look up all my favorite band members' curriculum vitae and social media histories?

I'm kind of in a hurry because I'd like to listen to some music soon and currently don't know if I should be experiencing shame or not.

http://www.metal-archives.com/ will list every band or thing anyone has ever been involved in including guest appearances.

My personal favorite on the site is Dan Swano who has a resume longer than God's at this point.