Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

I'm buying this and Fire Emblem. Embrace anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Eonwe posted:

that launch trailer is good as hell

def buy
:agreed:

Gamerofthegame posted:

Wow, Stardew dev loving hosed up big time on the release date.

That's when the next Fire Emblem comes out in the US, complete with it's two expansion packs and total 70-80~ price. Yeah, the vocal fanbases for harvest moon and fire emblem totally don't match up closely, no sir.

Still, it's coming out!
wtf

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

That's when the next Fire Emblem comes out in the US, complete with it's two expansion packs and total 70-80~ price. Yeah, the vocal fanbases for harvest moon and fire emblem totally don't match up closely, no sir.

Still, it's coming out!

This is a PC game

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I figured he was mostly joking, since he talks about FE costing too much money.

For clarity's sake though: can anyone confirm if Stardew contains lesbian curing potions?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't know about that but I do know that from the streams so far, there is a big rear end fenced off manhole labelled SEWER in the town that you can't actually go into and it makes me angry

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't know about that but I do know that from the streams so far, there is a big rear end fenced off manhole labelled SEWER in the town that you can't actually go into and it makes me angry

I too am angry about not experiencing the wonder that is a video game sewer level.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

I think I actually felt nostalgia hearing the trailer music again

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Eonwe posted:

that launch trailer is good as hell

def buy

hell same

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Gamerofthegame posted:

Still, it's coming out!

What would this matter? These two games are in my top five of most anticipated releases for the year. I was going to buy them both. I'd buy them both months apart, or a week apart, or in this case, at the same time. Money is not a concern, was already planning on these purchases. Plus, I'm pleasantly surprised that CA is looking at a $10-15 dollar price point. This game seems like it could easily command $20.

Has there been any word on modding capability? While watching the trailer, the question of how far the game could be modified crossed my mind.Hopefully it is like Starbound. The thing that triggered it for me was seeing animal interaction. I was thinking about with Harvest Moon games, not only do you need to "talk" to your animals to get that heart response, but you also have your other actions like harvest or brushing. But isn't that redundant? I was wondering if CA will have it so that other actions used on animals will also count as towards accomplishing the basic "talk" as well... and if not, if that could be easily modded in.

edit: Reading his recent history on Reddit, I see this has already been answered.

quote:

The game is somewhat moddable right out of the box, but there's definitely some more I could do to make it mod-friendly. It's something I'm interested in doing, but also not a top priority for the launch. I'm also supportive of modding and will do whatever I can to help. I'm actually very interested to play any mods that people make. I've been playing Stardew Valley for years, so I'm really looking forward to being surprised with some new content!

Revol fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 30, 2016

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

Still, it's coming out!

This could have killed Stardew Valley... IF the didn't remove the petting feature from Fire Emblem. Why can't we stroke our animes, Nintendo? :bahgawd:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

This isn't exactly like a Diablo 3 - Torchlight 2 sort of deal here, they're completely different genres on completely different platforms.

Also, ya know, Torchlight 2 did pretty well as the cheaper alternative to play while you waited for D3 to stop throwing errors and connection issues at you.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RazorDX posted:

This could have killed Stardew Valley... IF the didn't remove the petting feature from Fire Emblem. Why can't we stroke our animes, Nintendo? :bahgawd:

I've been told that this was misreporting and NoA left it it in. idk :confused:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ungh that trailer

yes this will fill the SNES harvest moon-shaped hole in my heart just fine

hype get

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i'd easily pay double what they seem to be planning on charging

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

How "Animal Crossing" is this game? I saw interior decorating but a lot of games have that. Is there a heavy focus on interacting with and building friendships with an ever-changing roster of villagers with different personalities that will sometimes give you small errands or host parties and poo poo?

I just really want to play more animal crossing, the harvest moon stuff is nice too I guess

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
gently caress yes. Take all my money, CA.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
I remember when I was a kid, me and friend would play Harvest Moon 64 and my friend asked me which of the girls i wanted to smooch. I told him Karen but because i was a small shy boy I was embarrassed to indulge my sweet tender feelings for this girl without making a proper reason.

I told him "because she's most like a boy".

from that day forward im pretty sure my friend thought i wanted his penis.

i hope i can relive such moments once again by playing this game.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

the Gaffe posted:

I remember when I was a kid, me and friend would play Harvest Moon 64 and my friend asked me which of the girls i wanted to smooch. I told him Karen but because i was a small shy boy I was embarrassed to indulge my sweet tender feelings for this girl without making a proper reason.

I told him "because she's most like a boy".

from that day forward im pretty sure my friend thought i wanted his penis.

i hope i can relive such moments once again by playing this game.

Celia in AWL is the clear waifu choice

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Babe Magnet posted:

How "Animal Crossing" is this game? I saw interior decorating but a lot of games have that. Is there a heavy focus on interacting with and building friendships with an ever-changing roster of villagers with different personalities that will sometimes give you small errands or host parties and poo poo?

I just really want to play more animal crossing, the harvest moon stuff is nice too I guess

From what Concerned Ape said on Reddit recently:

"Trailer was a bit unclear. I see that you can place furniture in your house, but do you also make the floor plan, manually building rooms, or is the layout and expansion of your house predetermined?"

"It's predetermined, but you can purchase house upgrades from the local carpenter. There's also wallpapers and flooring options in addition to furniture."

I guess it all comes down to how many options you've given there. But I'd think that this would be something that is modable from launch, given that he's said that you can already add things like events. I'd think adding new items would be just as possible.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Revol posted:

"Trailer was a bit unclear. I see that you can place furniture in your house, but do you also make the floor plan, manually building rooms, or is the layout and expansion of your house predetermined?"

"It's predetermined, but you can purchase house upgrades from the local carpenter. There's also wallpapers and flooring options in addition to furniture."

I guess it all comes down to how many options you've given there. But I'd think that this would be something that is modable from launch, given that he's said that you can already add things like events. I'd think adding new items would be just as possible.

I can't wait for the Long War team to get their hands on this.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

e: nm

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Catts posted:

I can't wait for the Long War team to get their hands on this.

First change: Realistic growing times for all plants.

(I love Long War, but it had to be said.)

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Holy poo poo beyond excited. Will purchase immediately on release

Hope I don't "have" to do the dungeons sorta stuff. I want my farm

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Hey guys, I edited the streams over the weekend and they are now available on our youtube channel:

Chucklefish Plays Stardew Valley: Q&A and Announcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JebYvJbGVUo

Chucklefish Plays Stardew Valley: Pre-Release Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL8qN372puI

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Also, notably Stardew only clashes with the U.S. Fire Emblem release and it's a P.C. game so it's probably releasing to a relatively different market.

Edit: It's, of course, at this point that I realise it also clashes with the EU release of Bravely Second, which means I'm certainly not buying on release. Okay, that might actually be a bad date.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Revol posted:

I mean that's nice and all but I wasn't asking about the interior decorating, I was just wondering if there was more to the animal crossing comparison than that. Like, is the game "real-time", are there timing-based events, is there a large variety of villagers that move in and move out, how do they interact with you and each other, that sort of thing. Or is this more gooney "I can't describe a game without comparing it to fifty other games" lol

I can't be the only person who got exponentially more interested in the game when they saw the animal crossing comparison can I?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
It's pretty much a harvest moon / rune factory type game rather than an animal crossing one. Farming sign with what looks to be some dungeon elements with (assumed) static villagers that you can probably make friends with by giving them gifts and also marry one of the set of predetermined bachelors/bachelorettes.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

I mean that's nice and all but I wasn't asking about the interior decorating, I was just wondering if there was more to the animal crossing comparison than that. Like, is the game "real-time", are there timing-based events, is there a large variety of villagers that move in and move out, how do they interact with you and each other, that sort of thing. Or is this more gooney "I can't describe a game without comparing it to fifty other games" lol

So Animal Crossing is a spiritual successor to Harvest Moon, the main difference is that Animal Crossing is easier and social while being less resource critical.

In Stardew your days are very short, and you have a list of time sensitive tasks to manage. Think 10-15 minute days where your rushing to water crops, clearing new land for cows, then rushing to the village to get to the shops before they close etc.
There are special events on certain days of the year. Though you can experience them all in one sitting rather than be tied to the actual day and year clock.
As said above, villagers are static, with preset conversations allowing them to be gamerfied by altering their 'flags' as needed.

tldr: Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley are farming RPGs while Animal Crossing is a Social RPG. Don't play stardew unless you like to farm/fish/mine/unlock new gear to farm/fish/mine faster.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 1, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Babe Magnet posted:

I can't be the only person who got exponentially more interested in the game when they saw the animal crossing comparison can I?

It seems like it's a lot more like SNES Harvest Moon wrt to time not being 1:1 like Animal Crossing. Seems like ten minutes in game is about 30 seconds irl and the year is four months long. Didn't notice any festivals on the calendar there, but everyone has a birthday. I'm still early in the gameplay video though.

E: beaten!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

1:1 time like Animal Crossing wouldn't work in a farm game. You might as well just become a real life farmer at that point.

Even the Farming Simulator 2kXX games aren't real time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i want to simulate farming

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 14, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Eonwe posted:

The FS2k series are actually pretty ok games if you like that sort of thing and have good multiplayer. Absolutely god awful tutorials though so be prepared to either have fun running tractors into the NPCs or have to read a bunch of info on real world farming tactics.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Eonwe posted:

I too want to simulate farming. I have promised myself that this time I won't grid everything and make an aesthetically pleasing farm :3:

I'm also looking forward to the multiplayer.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I hope there's enough time in the day / player stamina / tools upgrades to make filling all that space actually feasible. In every harvest moon they seem to give you this giant farm but it's completely impossible to actually farm most of it because you run out of time or stamina trying to take care of even a fraction of it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Early on that's definitely true. But eventually your tools get upgraded enough to maintain pace with your space and you're rich enough to buy the food necessary to keep up with your stamina requirements.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm hoping for a farm hand I can hire to take care of the stables or harvest a few fields for me. Otherwise farming everything is definitely a multiplayer only deal. You probably can't grow a lot in winter so that season would be ideal to do some spelunking in.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

drunken officeparty posted:

The FS2k series are actually pretty ok games if you like that sort of thing and have good multiplayer. Absolutely god awful tutorials though so be prepared to either have fun running tractors into the NPCs or have to read a bunch of info on real world farming tactics.

Which one of these is the best / most accessible? The most recent?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

Which one of these is the best / most accessible? The most recent?

They release a new one every year the same way sports games do. There's no reason not to play the newest one but it's not like you are missing out on the compelling storyline if you don't play them in order.

And beware that there is a metric fuckton of dlc and mods that literally are just different shaped tractors so that Jim-Bob can virtually farm with the exact same make and model pawpaw did durin' the war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

It's definitely that last thing.

To me, "Like Animal Crossing" is really exciting, and would mean at the very least that there's some sort of random or vaguely procedural dynamic to your village. I personally don't think it would have to be real time, but it would definitely have to let you take things at your own pace.

A premade village with scripted characters is fundamentally Not Animal Crossing to me. 15 minute days where you have to frantically run around and manage your time properly is Not Animal Crossing to me.

The Animal Crossing reference in the thread title seems to be entirely a reference to interior decorating. I was also really disappointed when I learned that, and I've thought it was misleading for years. I would love a game that was actually like Animal Crossing in either of those ways, but I've yet to find one. That kind of completely chill, self directed, yet still significant feeling gameplay is really hard to come by.

That said, I'm incredibly excited for this game because it looks like a fantastic Harvest Moon game, and I love that kind of game too. For entirely different reasons.