Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

That's a good point. Ive just always been dps in everything ever, so I'm a little nervous lol.

A comment I remember about healer is "playing whack-a-mole with health bars." As long as you keep everyone alive, no one is really going to care. The most common parties I get as a SCH are completely quiet as people just want to get the dailies out of the way, even if players are less than efficient. Once you get used to playing whack-a-mole, you'll notice holes where you aren't doing anything and can DPS.

I feel you though. I'm super nervous as a DRK. Fights look a lot different from the tank perspective than they do from DPS/healer. And when you mess up higher content as tank, chances are things go south quick. I still have to get over my nerves playing in >50 content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
The reality is that Paladins are terrible at low gear levels, but come into their own once you can get into the iLvl 200+ gear range and can use Royal Authority without falling behind on threat. The main problem is that you have to suffer through being mediocre for several months to reach the tipping point.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Eh, Essential Dignity is a great crutch at low levels when you're learning how to heal as an AST. Granted Brayflox can be rough at the last boss if the rest of the party is bad.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Varance posted:

The reality is that Paladins are terrible at low gear levels, but come into their own once you can get into the iLvl 200+ gear range and can use Royal Authority without falling behind on threat. The main problem is that you have to suffer through being mediocre for several months to reach the tipping point.

At every gear level they are terrible. It's not about comparing them to a vacuum of "well it's better than jumping in front of a bus" it's actually just worse than DRK all the time forever.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
For anyone else nervous about tanking, the only thing you really need to learn for simply playing a tank(as in keeping enemies glued on you) is target cycling constantly. Open with a few AoE skills to build a good base threat level on all enemies. From there, do your enmity rotation by smacking a different enemy with each hit while tossing down your AoE between sets of combos. This lets you see what needs more work on your end against the DPS classes since chances are they're attacking different targets. And use your cooldowns! It's the easiest job type to play to your expected role in a group.

Learn when you can squeeze in DPS rotations and stance dancing later. A tank that is simply passable is more useful than one that tries to hang with the DPS but loses hate on lots of targets frequently because they don't completely know what they're doing.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I think the problem I have tanking is that accurately switching targets using a controller just isn't as fast as it is on a keyboard, since pushing dpad left/right to switch isn't fast enough, nor is holding L1 and going up/down the aggro list, compared to just clicking on it. I find myself reaching over and using the mouse with one hand while hitting my aggro combo with the other on the controller.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
No tank can pull off clutch tanking maneuvers like PLD can.

HG sucks even more for going on CD after you die trying to save your/everyones butt though.

Yes the counter argument is that you don't need to clutch with WAR/DRK. You also don't need to clutch with a competent party. Differing play experiences are different dangit!

Really, any good tank is better than any bad tank. Player-wise.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

EponymousMrYar posted:

No tank can pull off clutch tanking maneuvers like PLD can.

HG sucks even more for going on CD after you die trying to save your/everyones butt though.

Yes the counter argument is that you don't need to clutch with WAR/DRK. You also don't need to clutch with a competent party. Differing play experiences are different dangit!

Really, any good tank is better than any bad tank. Player-wise.

Holmgang -> Equilibrium is a more reliable, more available, and more practical version of HG cheese in a very, very large percentage of the of scenarios where you'd use HG.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Probably confirmation bias at its best, but it also seems like most of the "primadonna" tanks I've come across (and this is just personality, independent of tank skill level) were playing Paladin, too.

Just like how most of my terrible "I'M HERE TO HEAL NOT DO DAMAGE" encounters are invariably CNJ/WHM.

I wonder if this is an established pattern.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

fount of knowledge posted:

Probably confirmation bias at its best, but it also seems like most of the "primadonna" tanks I've come across (and this is just personality, independent of tank skill level) were playing Paladin, too.

Just like how most of my terrible "I'M HERE TO HEAL NOT DO DAMAGE" encounters are invariably CNJ/WHM.

I wonder if this is an established pattern.

The best part about White Mages saying that is that White Mages historically in the franchise are decent damage dealers in their own right. Granted it's physical damage in that case, but there simply wasn't a need to heal your party every turn in the single player games. Just like there simply isn't a need to heal every GCD in this one. It makes me wonder if these people just stopped casting stone and aero while doing quests and had their chocobo DPS for them.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I think the problem I have tanking is that accurately switching targets using a controller just isn't as fast as it is on a keyboard, since pushing dpad left/right to switch isn't fast enough, nor is holding L1 and going up/down the aggro list, compared to just clicking on it. I find myself reaching over and using the mouse with one hand while hitting my aggro combo with the other on the controller.

This is very true. I've set the controller up so I can swap to the power slash combo by holding one extra button, but swapping around targets is still a chore. I play on PS4 primarily these days and don't have a compatible mouse. I've been getting by with just swapping with left/right as best I can, but I always lose something in the mix, like a Reprisal proc or having dance/price drop a bit too long. It might just be a learning curve I have to catch up with, though.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Having an on GCD stun that costs 150TP is actually a negative not a positive, on a job that is already racing uphill trying to compete DPS wise and has the worst TP management of the tanks.

I also don't see why stunlocking is needed on the hand, one stun and heavy should be sufficient and if you need more time anyone can throw in another stun, it doesn't need to be chained into a lock. Levi is a fight where you needed to stunlock if the first stun didn't cut it, to prevent the add casting dreadwash or whatever it was.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tortolia posted:

There was a bit of back and forth on this recently - most people do enjoy the story, but it is a JRPG rear end MMO and your tolerance for the story will probably depend on your tolerance for JRPGs in general. That said, it doesn't take too long in the game's story before you go from Random Adventurer to Big loving Deal Adventurer (around the time you fight Ifrit). Still, you're ultimately a hired gun and you do some non-heroic errand stuff as you go. Some of the NPCs poke fun at the fact that MMO adventurers will do goddamn anything for a reward.

And yeah, join a goon guild. I was on Excal but didn't actually join DGKK for a while and should have done it much sooner than I did.

Yeah, the breakpoints for story quality are probably Ifrit/Titan, end of the 2.0 MSQ, and end of 2.55/start of HW.

My personal favorite bit of lampshade hanging is how you have to go to all three major cities, and Minfilia(?) says "well, I recommend you visit them in this order so you don't miss any events, but I get the feeling that you'll get there in time no matter what you do".

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Niton posted:

Holmgang -> Equilibrium is a more reliable, more available, and more practical version of HG cheese in a very, very large percentage of the of scenarios where you'd use HG.
Inner Will cheese also laughs at Holmgang Cheese in the other percentage of times where you'd use it. And then some.

Not enough to make up for the damage meta bias, but enough to balance out HG vs Holmgang + Equilibrium.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So why are there three goon guilds? The OP doesn't really explain, and neither does the "joining the goon guilds" thread in the ffgoons forum.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Filthy Monkey posted:

So why are there three goon guilds? The OP doesn't really explain, and neither does the "joining the goon guilds" thread in the ffgoons forum.

The first two were both completely full at one point, so a 3rd one had to be made.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Skaw posted:

The best part about White Mages saying that is that White Mages historically in the franchise are decent damage dealers in their own right. Granted it's physical damage in that case, but there simply wasn't a need to heal your party every turn in the single player games. Just like there simply isn't a need to heal every GCD in this one. It makes me wonder if these people just stopped casting stone and aero while doing quests and had their chocobo DPS for them.

Yeah, but I assume most of the WHMs in question are used to older traditional MMOs where Healers aren't supposed to DPS at all and it can be, in fact, very bad for the party if they do.Of course, this does not excuse their ignorance except at the lowest levels of group content. I have never played a Final Fantasy game so I went into the game assuming WHMs aren't supposed to DPS, but I realized pretty quickly that not only can they do DPS, but they should since spamming heals is generally a lot less necessary in FFXIV than other MMOs.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I've personally never even used the Dpad, L1/R1/LB/RB while holding down a trigger will go through targets relative to your viewpoint.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Filthy Monkey posted:

There's a hard cap on the number of player characters in a Free Company of 512. Yes over a thousand goons were playing at least semi regularly before Heavensward.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Niton posted:

Holmgang -> Berserk Equilibrium crit is the nectar of gods.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like playing a good healer is more rewarding than playing a good tank.

When I play AST and can juggle healing, MP, rotating the right cards (and crying at drawing Spire yet again), and having enough time to drop into Cleric Stance? I feel accomplished. Especially if an extra group or pat aggroed and we're suddenly dealing with six enemies.

As a tank, you're just kind of... reacting mostly. Use your AoE a certain number of times, pop a CD occasionally, turn mobs away from the rest of the party, dance around AoEs. It's still an involving job, but I don't feel that big sense of accomplishment for being able to stance dance as I would on a healer (then again stance dancing is annoying as a tank if you're not a WAR). I enjoy both though.

Then again, playing a healer feels more aggravating at times. Even as a tank with a bad healer that doesn't know how to DPS, at least you're clearing the dungeon, albeit slower. As a healer with a bad tank? Hoo boy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Do I have to level Arcanist until I get Eye for an Eye to be strictly optimal on BLM, or is that something that all the healers will have covered anyway? The number of times I've been the only source of Virus in random roulettes makes me suspect that I might actually want it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Do I have to level Arcanist until I get Eye for an Eye to be strictly optimal on BLM, or is that something that all the healers will have covered anyway? The number of times I've been the only source of Virus in random roulettes makes me suspect that I might actually want it.

Eye for an Eye is hardly required as a BLM. It's of course nice to have in an emergency situation where your AST has leveled CNJ just far enough to get Protect and has no other DoM leveled.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Approaching what I assume is the end of the base MSQ now. I'm almost level 50, but not quite there. I have to urge new players to resist their natural instinct to mash through boxes. I'm guilty of it too, but this game's text is hilarious. Seriously, they fit jokes in to every quest title, every other dialogue box, item descriptions, and everything else. It's not always 10/10, but it's usually worth a chuckle.

I never fuckin trusted Thancred from the jump. He was always such a shady guy.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 30, 2016

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Filthy Monkey posted:

there was at one point a need for space to fit all the active goons. Due to the resources necessary to establish them being more or less non refundable, alongside established cultures within each group being well founded, we've not had any desire to downsize at this juncture.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SonicRulez posted:

Approaching what I assume is the end of the base MSQ now. I'm almost level 50, but not quite there. I have to urge new players to resist their natural instinct to mash through boxes. I'm guilty of it too, but this game's text is hilarious. Seriously, they fit jokes in to every quest title, every other dialogue box, item descriptions, and everything else. It's not always 10/10, but it's usually worth a chuckle.

I one actually read the mission journal, and it was being sarcastic as hell about an npc who was asking you do be their bitch and do something. It was funny.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
PLD is slower than the other two tanks, which means you're making everyone else in your party have to spend more time in the dungeon and have less fun. It's rude to play PLD.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Whizbang posted:

PLD is slower than the other two tanks, which means you're making everyone else in your party have to spend more time in the dungeon and have less fun. It's rude to play PLD.

Let's be honest here, in any content that's not A3S or A4S it doesn't really matter at all. Even the speed difference in a dungeon will be extremely miniscule no matter what anyone says. A few minutes tops, if you value a few minutes of your time that much this probably isn't a game you should be playing.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
How can you tolerate yourself? You're defending people playing a worse class and taking time out of your life while being complete poo poo lords.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Videos that focus so strongly on lala gestures are mean, they make me consider changing from a dragon catgirl into a lala
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8kOzxyDjns

I just need to stay strong and remember that most gear doesn't show up as well on their bodies

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's a loving video game.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
lmao ok let me just level and learn an entire new class which i may or may not even enjoy and spend weeks replacing all of my PLD class eso gear so that the handful of duty roulettes i run a week may possibly be a minute or two faster. this is definitely a good use of my time in a fun video game

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

The localization team is aces. Be sure to talk to NPCs as you do quests (not just the questgiver/recipient but other targetable NPCs nearby). They have things to say and some of them are great too.

But yeah, the dialogue holds some real gems, both jokes and dark stuff too. The Vanu quests have some wonderfully screwed up poo poo going on they just casually sprinkle into the dialogue that is easy to miss. I honestly don't know if the best one is the fact you are feeding half the Ishgard military sticky bug larvae candy, the Vanu throwing Gaelicats off cliffs for divination, or capturing wild paissa for their equivalent of cockfighting.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Empress Theonora posted:

lmao ok let me just level and learn an entire new class which i may or may not even enjoy and spend weeks replacing all of my PLD class eso gear so that the handful of duty roulettes i run a week may possibly be a minute or two faster. this is definitely a good use of my time in a fun video game

Alternatively you could be avoiding playing a more fun class because you're a wimp and are a drain on everyone you play with, making the game not as fun for them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Something weird happened when I tried to play tonight--the game would randomly not recognize my keyboard (PC) commands. Like I'd press W and I wouldn't move forward, or I'd press C and it wouldn't go to the character sheet unless I mashed the button a few times. And trying to do anything that required the use of 2 keys (Shift + 1 or whatever) wouldn't work at all. The only time I would reliably get the game to recognize my keyboard inputs on the first try is when I was holding down the right mouse button at the same time. Which is weird too.

Keyboard works fine out of the game and in other games--it's literally only FF14 where it has the problem. Never experienced it before tonight and I didn't do any hardware changes or anything I can think of. Tried rebooting, shutting down and starting up again--no change. Checked the keyboard drivers, they're up to date. Checked the graphics card drivers for the hell of it--they're up to date too.

Anyone ever experienced anything similar? I tried googling and couldn't find anything that helped. The one thing I found is this thread by a guy who seems to be having the same problem as me (though I'm on a desktop), but no solutions.

what the hell is this

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Empress Theonora posted:

You are a very rude person.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Can we just settle on everyone acknowledging that PLD aoe / dps being kind of poo poo and not keep bringing this up?

Unless you're a VIT PLD too.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Tortolia posted:

But yeah, the dialogue holds some real gems, both jokes and dark stuff too. The Vanu quests have some wonderfully screwed up poo poo going on they just casually sprinkle into the dialogue that is easy to miss. I honestly don't know if the best one is the fact you are feeding half the Ishgard military sticky bug larvae candy, the Vanu throwing Gaelicats off cliffs for divination, or capturing wild paissa for their equivalent of cockfighting.

The Gaelicat one is my favorite. DONT BRING ME NO DEAD CATS.

RE: the need for Cleric Stance- I mean, I remember doing starfire and lightning bolt spam on my WoW healers between necessary healing just fine without having to go into a 'no healing' mode that requires GCD's to drop in and out of, and hell Disc priests had a Damage-to-Healing conversion built into smite spamming. What I'm saying is that it makes it artificially more difficult and there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it. Tank stance dancing is a bit different, you don't lose access to your threat combo while you're in DPS stance, you can still do your primary job. With healers you better not EVER gently caress up and cast the wrong spell or cooldown while in the wrong stance, or you've completely wasted it because it does less than a third of its normal effect.

It's not hard but it's overly punishing and it feels like a leftover legacy thing. And the DPS disparity between healers is another real issue.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah I wouldn't care at all if Cleric Stance got the boot, or was reworked in to something entirely different. It's a rather unnecessary filler step. Just base their offensive magic off Mind as well. Tank Stances at least serve a purpose in that you don't want your off tank generating more enmity than your main tank, but even those could simply be cut down to a single stance like Grit. Just make Deliverance and Sword Oath traits that aren't available when using Defiance/Shield Oath. Cut the fluff.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I'm just really hoping 3.2 actually fixes PLD somehow. If not I'll probably just trash the class for good since I have all tanks at 60 with decent gear, but for whatever reason it's actually my favorite tank to play (with DRK being my 2nd to play and WAR being my least favorite to play, I'm apparently the anti-goon or something, I hate play styles other goons like and like play styles other goons hate).

• Locked thread