Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Overbite posted:

Sad about Bombshell being bad but it can't be that hard to mess up a build engine FPS, can it?

:(

The ZDoom forums are like a factory for messing up Doom engine FPS games, so it's actually easy. A good engine won't save you from bad game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Was there actually any expectation that Bombshell wouldn't be a turd?

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Not so much an expectation as a dim hope.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cephalectomy posted:

When are we going to get the goons on Skulltag (zandronum) thing going again? Those weekend doom sessions were a blast with goons

I'm down but none of the mods I play the most work with Zandronum and apparently I can't host regular gzdoom multiplayer without constant desyncs.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

No, but up until now I felt like it was unwarranted. Everyone dismissed it as trash the moment they heard/read "isometric shootmans" as far as I know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Overbite posted:

Sad about Bombshell being bad but it can't be that hard to mess up a build engine FPS, can it?

:(

There are maybe three Build games in the history of Build that aren't messed up.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are maybe three Build games in the history of Build that aren't messed up.

Aren't they also the only Build games in the history of Build?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

My motto with Build games is that there's always a worse Build game out there, somewhere.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Prenton posted:

I'm surprised to see Bombshell's got checkpoint saves, given the grief they got when Rise of the Triad (which I had quite a bit of fun with, but was clearly a budget game made by about 3 people) shipped checkpoints-only saves originally, and they patched in quicksaves later after people complained.

Did they also patch out that thing where trying a Workshop map completely overwrites the one save they allot you, totally undoing all progress in the game? I uninstalled the game the instant that happened and never touched it again because gently caress that poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Nah, there's 3 at least playable Build games in the form of Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood. There's more Build games than that, like Redneck Rampage and TekWar.

That said, never bet on Duke because why the gently caress would you ever trust a self-centered misogynistic idiot?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Nope!

Good:
Duke 3D
Blood

Mediocre:
Shadow Warrior (good art, but bad game design and unbelievably racist)
Witchaven
Powerslave PC

Bad:
Redneck Rampage

loving terrible:
TekWar
NAM
World War II GI
Extreme PaintBrawl
Plunder and Pillage
Quest for al-Qaeda/Quest for Hussein (speaking of unbelievably racist)...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't bet on duke because duke can't jump, and doomguy knows well enough not to demonstrate his inability to jump.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Johnny Joestar posted:

i can't bet on duke because duke can't jump, and doomguy knows well enough not to demonstrate his inability to jump.

Uh...does duke not jump in dnf or something?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Duke jumps in every single game he's been in :confused:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The extra sad part of Duke 3d 20th anniversary is that 20th anniversary of Quake 1 comes in June, and 20th anniversary of the QTest demo is coming up in February.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

by 'can't jump' i mean he is bad at jumping

see: white men can't jump, the title of an alright movie from the early 90's

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Johnny Joestar posted:

by 'can't jump' i mean he is bad at jumping

see: white men can't jump, the title of an alright movie from the early 90's

That's why he has the jetpack!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

fishmech posted:

The extra sad part of Duke 3d 20th anniversary is that 20th anniversary of Quake 1 comes in June, and 20th anniversary of the QTest demo is coming up in February.

Please enjoy this love letter to Quake. Great levels, tweaked weapons and remixed enemies, as well as some new ones. If you're using Darkplaces you'll need the patch on ModDB, the developers recommend Quakespasm though.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/ad

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Haha that tweet
https://twitter.com/georgeb3dr/status/693173685239173120

quote:

7. On the secret ledge with the rocket launcher, I can walk into the barrier and get squished?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Super8 is getting a new lighting model, which appears from the screenshots to restore the overbrights missing from the current builds, which means that aside from the colors lighting will be vanilla accurate again. At the very least, the screenshot of start.bsp is much more brightly lit than the same scene in super8 v238, and the HUD indicates that it's using the stock palette so it's not cheating.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

dis astranagant posted:

I'm down but none of the mods I play the most work with Zandronum and apparently I can't host regular gzdoom multiplayer without constant desyncs.

I'm super down! What Mods are you trying to run?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

fishmech posted:

Oh, cool. I wonder if Romero has any more development files to poke out into the world? The big dumps of art and map work files were wonderful.

dishwasherlove posted:

Please enjoy this love letter to Quake. Great levels, tweaked weapons and remixed enemies, as well as some new ones. If you're using Darkplaces you'll need the patch on ModDB, the developers recommend Quakespasm though.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/ad
It sounds like some of the AD team are working on new maps, too. They look kind of... familiar?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

While Doom 1 single player can get pretty tedious, I kind of appreciate Doom 1 multiplayer compared to Doom II's. The lack of SSG makes the combat more drawn-out and cerebral.

E: I recognize Doom E1M1 from Kinsie's AD screenshot set but not the other map. Is it Gloom Keep perhaps?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

While Doom 1 single player can get pretty tedious, I kind of appreciate Doom 1 multiplayer compared to Doom II's. The lack of SSG makes the combat more drawn-out and cerebral.

E: I recognize Doom E1M1 from Kinsie's AD screenshot set but not the other map. Is it Gloom Keep perhaps?
The other map is E2M2 (Ogre Citadel) from Q1.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh yeah, if you're using that neat weapon replacement pack and want to use those models in Arcane Dimensions, go into AD\Progs and move:

v_nail.mdl
v_nail2.mdl
v_shot2.mdl

Out of there.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

(Walks into thread)

"Bombshell"

(Makes a wet farting noise)

(Exits thread)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Do you like 1024 maps that are actually good?

Take a look at this new wad rf came out with over on doomworld. A 33 map megawad of 1024 (+teleport closet area) maps that uses custom decorate monsters and weapons and is at least in the early going really good. The maps play fast and hard but don't feel as cramped as what you sometimes get with 1024 mapsets.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/85755-rf1024/

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
How in the blue gently caress do I get AlephOne/Marathon to run?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Just download the installer from their front page for the game you want to play and run Alephone.exe? They have to go into different folders because the engine is coded by nerds.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jordan7hm posted:

Do you like 1024 maps that are actually good?

Take a look at this new wad rf came out with over on doomworld. A 33 map megawad of 1024 (+teleport closet area) maps that uses custom decorate monsters and weapons and is at least in the early going really good. The maps play fast and hard but don't feel as cramped as what you sometimes get with 1024 mapsets.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/85755-rf1024/

Wait, how does a 33 map megawad have 1024 maps?

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
Tried that. The screen goes black and then just goes back to desktop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"1024 maps" are maps designed with a size restriction of 1024 x 1024 map units.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

blackmarketlimb posted:

Tried that. The screen goes black and then just goes back to desktop.

Try launching it with -gw, to force software mode and a window instead of fullscreen opengl.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"1024 maps" are maps designed with a size restriction of 1024 x 1024 map units.

Ah, of course. Now I get it, thanks.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

There might already be a thing like this but why isn't there a filter in one of the doom or build engine ports that emulates an analogue display that they were made for like 80/90's console emulators do? Right now you can either have very sharp pixels or mush them with a standard filter but you can't make them look like a 640/480 crt monitor so dithered effects never quite look right.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I don't know what kind of monitor you had but even back in 1992 CRT computer monitors were pretty sharp.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Flannelette posted:

There might already be a thing like this but why isn't there a filter in one of the doom or build engine ports that emulates an analogue display that they were made for like 80/90's console emulators do? Right now you can either have very sharp pixels or mush them with a standard filter but you can't make them look like a 640/480 crt monitor so dithered effects never quite look right.

RF video through a lovely 1980s television is nothing like VGA.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I want my scanlines to be at least four times thicker than the pixels, and the vertical resolution should be no greater than 115, and also all the colors should be hue shifted and/or desaturated randomly by +/- 33% every frame, and the filter should also simulate a screen that is made of a coconut and powered by a stegosaurus running in a hamster wheel.

For accuracy, you know?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Flannelette posted:

Two answers: that never existed, all filters look like poo poo from an rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If you want old school graphics, just run ZDoom with -4 at the command line or use Chocolate Doom.