Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

Lol you care about rider personalities, perhaps you should start watching WWE if you like soap operas.

WWE? Please. I watch F1 for drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

theperminator posted:

Why do they even interview the riders? the point is I don't give a gently caress.

It's nice to get little insights into the finer points of why their bike does x and why they did y during the race but unfortunately it's moved into twitter post territory recently.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

It's nice to get little insights into the finer points of why their bike does x and why they did y during the race but unfortunately it's moved into twitter post territory recently.

What? 99% of answers are general bullshit. You rarely get actual insightful commentary from riders, usually because the journos interviewing them aren't good enough to ask the right questions. If you watch the press conferences, it's 99% the same droning bullshit. Then, once in a blue moon, an astute journalist notices that the Yamaha riders are entering T5 in 4th while the Hondas do it in 3rd and asks one why, and the riders eyes light up as they snap back to reality and give an uncoached response.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

n8r posted:

Lol you care about rider personalities, perhaps you should start watching WWE if you like soap operas.

If you like soaps the whines would be the best part i would think?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Bradley Smith does pretty good interviews. Usually fairly interesting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

Bradley Smith does pretty good interviews. Usually fairly interesting.

Yup. It depends a lot on how articulate the rider is, it isn't just down to the retard journos.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

KARMA! posted:

If you like soaps the whines would be the best part i would think?

Poor old Johnny Rae sounded sad upon the radio, he moved a million hearts at Magny-Cours.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stoner officially back at Ducati.

:10bux: says when dovi leaves they'll con him into coming back to race.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm a realistic person so I'll leave my hopes to a PI wildcard

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's really all I'm hoping for too but a guy can dream.

TBH my big heart-pounding hope is that Suzuki will have a competitive bike and cutie vinalez as my missus calls him gets to win some races :allears:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You want another Spanish fraud on the podium?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How could you say no to that face? He's like an excitable puppy who gets to ride bikes for a job.

Mainly I just want a break from yamahonda hegemony; a ducati championship would be nice too but unlikely.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

How could you say no to that face? He's like an excitable puppy who gets to ride bikes for a job.

Mainly I just want a break from yamahonda hegemony; a ducati championship would be nice too but unlikely.

Iannone could do it. He won't, but he could. Maybe.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain to me why Kawasaki isn't represented in MotoGP? I've only recently (last 2 years) begun following the sport & it's one of the things that struck me as odd.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Their last effort was right around the gfc and tanked really badly so they couldn't justify keeping it on AFAIK so they focused their efforts on WSBK and other superbike championships. Same thing with Suzuki who have only just made their comeback to gp.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Their last effort was right around the gfc and tanked really badly so they couldn't justify keeping it on AFAIK so they focused their efforts on WSBK and other superbike championships. Same thing with Suzuki who have only just made their comeback to gp.

I've never done any reading on the expense of fielding a MotoGP team, but I'd imagine it's substantial enough that even Kawasaki can't just throw dollars into the air & have an entry (or two) just for the sake of being in the race.

I'll have to Google Kawi's financials; I just figured they were large enough to absorb the '08-'09 period well enough.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Before crt bikes it was literally just Yamaha Honda and ducati fielding bikes, the whole field would score points just by finishing a race. Reducing costs is the reason crt/open class came about - it pads out the field with heaps more bikes and was a way of field-testing the control electronics which are now mandatory. IMO if they want to reduce costs without significantly affecting the racing as well as making it closer, they should ban seamless shift transmissions. Just renting such a trans off Honda for a year costs a good chunk of a million bucks.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You'd think that Kawasaki Heavy Industries would have plenty of money to throw around. Why doesn't BMW have a MotoGP team? Both those companies are massive, money shouldn't be an issue.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You'd think that Kawasaki Heavy Industries would have plenty of money to throw around. Why doesn't BMW have a MotoGP team? Both those companies are massive, money shouldn't be an issue.

BMW entered WSBK and drat near won a championship a few years later but then they pulled out. Lame. If only Melandri had held it together the last few races.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

BMW entered WSBK and drat near won a championship a few years later but then they pulled out. Lame. If only Melandri had held it together the last few races.

Toyota has more money than basically everyone yet their F1 effort didn't net a single win. Takes more than cash I think.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Takes HISTORY and TRADITION. Toyota never won anything ever. BMW used to dominate bike racing back in the good old days when they had the best planes and the best tanks and the best government.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Takes HISTORY and TRADITION. Toyota never won anything ever. BMW used to dominate bike racing back in the good old days when they had the best planes and the best tanks and the best government.

Toyota has won heaps of poo poo :colbert:

I didn't know BMW raced bikes in the late thirties though :v:

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
They were actually master racers, back in the day

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
:golfclap:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I was gonna' post this earlier this morning when I got in from work, but was too tired. Anyway, here is a Lanesplitter article posted last night that kinda' delves in to all the technical changes coming to MotoGP, including the tire change but also touching on Open Class abolishment, unified electronics, and giving a bit more assistance (looks like more engines/testing) to the non-Yamaha, Honda, Ducati triumvirate. It's pretty in-depth, at least to a newb like me.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
While MotoGP has been pretty entertaining lately, I'm really looking forward to a satellite team taking a win.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Is this real?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, he joined Ducati as a test rider

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

oh boring ok

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well the tease of a wild card ride has some of us salivating. How great would it be if he just races PI and wins it? And especially if that win has an impact of the championship at the time.

Honda didn't want him on the bike because he could potentially beat Marquez. Ducati is probably not so worried about him showing up their lead riders IMO.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, it's not going to happen. Casey doesn't want to race, period. Also, new tires, new electronics, and the pace is moved on from when he was last competitive. If he raced, he'd be midfield at best.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about that. He wanted to stand in for Pedrosa last season but Honda wouldn't let him.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I thought that was pretty much the same reasoning. Compared to people's unrealistic expectations, he would probably put in an underwhelming performance being out of competition for so long and Honda didn't want to deal with the political/media shitstorm from that.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Spiffness posted:

Yeah, it's not going to happen. Casey doesn't want to race, period. Also, new tires, new electronics, and the pace is moved on from when he was last competitive. If he raced, he'd be midfield at best.

doesn't he just not want to talk to anyone? like if he could show up, race and show home and have some spaghetti with his family and not have to deal with anything else ever he'd be all about it.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
hes not italian you racist

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Casey has been riding the bike since he retired and was matching DP and MM's lap times so I dunno where the idea that he'd be too slow is coming from. Have you seen the guy ride?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah.... test conditions are not race conditions, or qualifying or even practice conditions. I'd be shocked as all hell if he could wildcard and be at the very sharp end of the pack. Who knows, maybe. Thats why people like Casey right? They can point at him and say 'OH IF ONLY CASEY WAS HERE, he could do it!".

I have my doubts.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

hes not italian you racist

man, I ain't talking bout no pasta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiffness posted:

Yeah.... test conditions are not race conditions, or qualifying or even practice conditions. I'd be shocked as all hell if he could wildcard and be at the very sharp end of the pack. Who knows, maybe. Thats why people like Casey right? They can point at him and say 'OH IF ONLY CASEY WAS HERE, he could do it!".

I have my doubts.

Biaggi got a podium in one of his wildcards last year (crashed in the other) and he was on a pretty poo poo bike (albeit with the benefit of a custom gear ratio and stuff) compared to the front runners FWIW. But SBK is easy mode or something apparently.

• Locked thread