Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I consume every pill I see immediately and as a result immediately regret it about half the time. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Same here, the only way to play.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Yeah, if your run is going to get ruined by a negative pill, then you weren't going to get far in that run anyway. Arguably the only exception to this is health down but gently caress it. Take the risk.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
if you have base tears or speed, then a tears down or speed down is usually pretty catastrophic no matter how good your build is

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Go figure, as soon as I complain, I go on a tear. Boss Rush and Mom's Heart, taken down by Isaac. Had tiny planet / infested friend / robo baby / dead cat and a variety of devil rooms and TWO crawl spaces.

Now for the hard parts. Going up and going down.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

I disagree. Simply because if you get a pill, and it's bad, you only use it once. If you get a tears up pill or another stat boost, you'll know it for the rest of the game. Since you see pills a few time a game usually, it's worth picking them up, and chances are, you've used it already after the first few floors.

And then you get q-q-q-Question Marks???

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally got around to clicking on the High Brow challenge. I laughed. :v:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm pretty sure that there is a 90% chance that an unknown pill found as the Keeper will be a health down pill and you will never find another one or get a health up from that boss. I once went three floors on a Keeper run with one heart before getting swarmed.

I also chug every pill I get but I'm getting to the point of not doing that as Keeper unless I'm already hosed or there's food on the floor.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

IUG posted:

I disagree. Simply because if you get a pill, and it's bad, you only use it once. If you get a tears up pill or another stat boost, you'll know it for the rest of the game. Since you see pills a few time a game usually, it's worth picking them up, and chances are, you've used it already after the first few floors.
It's almost never worth to use pills, even less so in Afterbirth. The pool is so bloated with stuff like Re-lax, Addicted, One makes you:s, Amnesia, ??? and the likes that PhD is devalued severely.

I think this thread posted a number crunch claiming your odds for getting a good pill was ~40%, ~50% with PhD.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Darkoni posted:

Yeah, if your run is going to get ruined by a negative pill, then you weren't going to get far in that run anyway. Arguably the only exception to this is health down but gently caress it. Take the risk.

Unless you are playing Keeper. Most of the positive pills don't benefit him, so it's almost never worth the risk there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Do the good pills still do more good than the bad pills do bad? I think way back in the day (poo poo, it may have even been original isaac), the stat loss on a bad pill was 80% of the stat gain on a good pill.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

PostNouveau posted:

Do the good pills still do more good than the bad pills do bad? I think way back in the day (poo poo, it may have even been original isaac), the stat loss on a bad pill was 80% of the stat gain on a good pill.

This is correct for range, speed, and tears pills.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

A small tip for those of you who like playing the dailies: The I Am Error room doesn't spawn on the floor on which the daily is supposed to end, so you can't use Teleport 2.0 or Undefined to go further down.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

A more pro-tip than that for today: you shouldn't have Teleport 2.0 by then anyway, because you can use it to get to the Error Room on the third floor which has Glass Cannon which makes the whole run hilariously trivial.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So Tammy's Head is basically a win button for Azazel (In Rebirth as I'm on PS4), I just nuked Satan for the first time with it, I've already beaten Issac on an earlier run, and just killed It Lives for the first time, guess I need to visit the Chest/Dark Room sometime!

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I wish this game had a new game + where you could restart with the build you finished with even if it doesnt count for anything

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

bassguitarhero posted:

I wish this game had a new game + where you could restart with the build you finished with even if it doesnt count for anything

I kinda want that for greed mode. Why hop off when the train is gonna keep rolling.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Why slot machine, why would you give me a Dollar Bill in Sheol, as if being cursed with Bob's Brain wasn't bad enough!

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Guess who found diplopa and steam sale in the basement greed shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uesDOdBiOPU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

bassguitarhero posted:

That's why I liked the Undefined + Chest/Dark Room combo so much. Sometimes you just don't want the fun to end. It's a shame they took that from us.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's why I liked the Undefined + Chest/Dark Room combo so much. Sometimes you just don't want the fun to end. It's a shame they took that from us.

Was there ever an official answer as to why they removed that? It was such an inane thing to patch out. Getting the right setup to do it repeatedly was hard enough.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone else wake up to their save being deleted?

Any way to get it back?

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Finally 1001%. If I never see triple shot again I'll be quite content. The keeper is one extra health coin and maybe a bit more starting power from being a fun gimmick character, but getting to boss rush and being able to beat it took some serious patience.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
So I caved in and modded the game so that I could get the Greed machine up to 999 coins. Did a run with The Lost, now holding Holy Mantle, afterwards and ended up beating Boss Rush, Heart, Hush, Isaac, and ??? in a single run. In conclusion, if you haven't finished filling out The Lost's post-it yet, wait until you unlock the Holy Mantle, because it turns him into a legitimately good and fun character to play.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well today's daily didn't last long. A bomb enemy blew up before I gained control of my character and a spider rammed me the second I entered the room. rip :thumbsup:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
All I have left to do is finish out The Keeper's hard card and I'm getting really tired of slamming my dick in this dresser drawer.

I had one run where I had Swallowed Penny, Libra, Nine Inch Nails and a bunch of other good things and picked up a Zero G Tears while I had curse of the blind in Depths. gently caress that poo poo.

Had another decent run without Swallowed Penny where I get in the boss rush room and it's one with spikes around each item. I got about three waves in before taking a hit.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jibo posted:

All I have left to do is finish out The Keeper's hard card and I'm getting really tired of slamming my dick in this dresser drawer.

I had one run where I had Swallowed Penny, Libra, Nine Inch Nails and a bunch of other good things and picked up a Zero G Tears while I had curse of the blind in Depths. gently caress that poo poo.

Had another decent run without Swallowed Penny where I get in the boss rush room and it's one with spikes around each item. I got about three waves in before taking a hit.

I have no idea who thought having the items needed to start the rush surrounded by spikes that you can't avoid unless you have flight was a good idea.

Especially with a character like the keeper.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Jibo posted:

Imo there's always the mod that gives him $$$=Power and Restock. If Ed won't make him remotely fun, then, well...

9hotonic
Jan 29, 2016

(after hearing the library has games , i arrive at the front desk, disguised as a non-gamer)

"er.. im here for some.. book's"
I have a small issue with Rebirth and I think it's a personal one, but did they remove or nerf the luck stat's effect on pills? I loved playing Cain in the original and one of the reasons was because he'd only ever get good/neutral pills, but in Rebirth you still get bad pills with base luck on Cain. What's up with that?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

9hotonic posted:

I have a small issue with Rebirth and I think it's a personal one, but did they remove or nerf the luck stat's effect on pills? I loved playing Cain in the original and one of the reasons was because he'd only ever get good/neutral pills, but in Rebirth you still get bad pills with base luck on Cain. What's up with that?

Lucky foot was nerfed, it no longer has the PHD effect on pills. Pills are also mostly awful now due to all the crap neutral effects added to the effect list.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

9hotonic posted:

The luck stat never had any effect on pills. The lucky foot just turned negative pills into their positive counterparts.

In fact Cain started with base luck in WotL and the luck stat didn't even exist in vanilla.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

watho posted:

The luck stat never had any effect on pills. The lucky foot just turned negative pills into their positive counterparts.

In fact Cain started with base luck in WotL and the luck stat didn't even exist in vanilla.

It absolutely existed in vanilla. It just wasn't visually represented. Just like shot speed.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
Was there no daily today? It's just showing me my stats from yesterday's run.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jibo posted:

It absolutely existed in vanilla. It just wasn't visually represented. Just like shot speed.

Was there anything that affected it? I assume that it worked the same way that it does in WotL.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Dark Grapefruit posted:

Was there no daily today? It's just showing me my stats from yesterday's run.

North America is celebrating Groundhog Day.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

watho posted:

Was there anything that affected it? I assume that it worked the same way that it does in WotL.

Only with like modding the game or whatever before WoTL. I remember there being something about it around the time Krampus was added but I can't really remember and that's a long time ago.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Finally got 1001% in the cheesiest possible way. I only needed Mega Blast and I got a Blank Card on the first floor of Greed Mode. Second floor shop had 2 of Diamonds and a battery in the shop. So I picked up basically every item in the game and about 50 Breakfasts, constantly refilling my cash with the Blank Card. I was afraid the game would crash before I got Mega Blast but I finally got it, then proceeded to loving murder the poo poo out of the rest of Greed Mode.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just found Mega Blast and all I need is the Censor now. If I had known that her unlock was hidden in the god room I wouldn't have saved Maggie for near last.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Hmm, so I think Brimstone, or Hush, is broken (or something else I've got) because I'm not able to do any damage. I don't mean it's slowly doing damage, I mean it's not doing any damage at all. I don't have soy milk or anything else I can think of that would have this effect. Guess this run's over.

http://giant.gfycat.com/FalsePolishedJohndory.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You have Proptosis. You know, the thing where your damage decreases sharply with range?

At that range, even Brimstone will only deal 0.1 damage