Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So, as this Tempest Fighter I just made, how do I usually go about doing my defendery stuff? The character was a Ranger who was basically an off-tank Striker via Blade Dancer, and it still has that PP now, so am I basicaly playing the same character but with slightly less damage and mark punishment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Unknown Quantity posted:

So, as this Tempest Fighter I just made, how do I usually go about doing my defendery stuff? The character was a Ranger who was basically an off-tank Striker via Blade Dancer, and it still has that PP now, so am I basicaly playing the same character but with slightly less damage and mark punishment?

You probably won't notice yourself doing much different, because yea, you're still basically running around hitting dudes. You can mark any and all targets you attack (no need to hit), however your Combat Challenge is only usable once per round since it's an immediate action, at which point your marks will just be -2 to attacks vs your allies. The general idea for defending is setting up catch-22s; in the fighter's case, the enemy has a choice between trying to hit you (and hopefully failing against your higher AC) or attacking someone else and enabling you to deal more damage.

This is all basically automatic aside from you having to remember marks and deciding who & when to punish with Combat Challenge. You can get some tasty combos going by messing with hybrids & multiclassing, but you'll be fine as is.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Turtlicious posted:

RIP DDI.

Tried logging in today, getting a 404 when I put in the password, clicking the link for accounts / forgot password takes me to a page with a list of CMS error

When I log in: http://dnd.wizards.com/404?aspxerrorpath=/Default.aspx

Site giving me the CMSError: https://accounts.wizards.com/

Forgot Password Page says it's turned off: https://accounts.wizards.com/AccountRecovery/ForgotPassword

did you try ddi.wizards.com ? They took down their account management page for some inscrutable reason but they'd have to be stupider than even they've evidenced so far to not be working on bringing it back.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've noticed the offline builder isn't displaying the website anymore. Which is good because now I don't have to close 3-4 Java error messages before I can get to work.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've noticed the offline builder isn't displaying the website anymore. Which is good because now I don't have to close 3-4 Java error messages before I can get to work.

Good god finally.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Really Pants posted:

What the hell is WOTC's D&D department even for anymore?

Holding the IP for Hasbro.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurieg posted:

did you try ddi.wizards.com ? They took down their account management page for some inscrutable reason but they'd have to be stupider than even they've evidenced so far to not be working on bringing it back.

I did and then bitched at them over a twitter DM.

It came back up like 15 minutes after that. lmao.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any good ideas for playing a bard? Im thinking about getting short music clips ans playing them when i cast each spell. Do you stick with one instrument? Any great race combos? Nothing needs to be OP just want unique stuff.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ButtWolf posted:

Any good ideas for playing a bard? Im thinking about getting short music clips ans playing them when i cast each spell. Do you stick with one instrument? Any great race combos? Nothing needs to be OP just want unique stuff.

Play a Warforged Song of Cunning bard and bring one of these

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

ButtWolf posted:

My favorite 4e bard build is the cunning bard as basically Phoenix Wright. Yell :objection: every time you use Virtue of Cunning, "TAKE THAT" every time you use Staggering Note etc. MC into Sorcerer for Sorcerous Vision so you can actually detect lies with your arcane bullshit and also sets you up for the Resourceful Magician paragon path. Take the Skill Power feat to pick up the Fast Talk Utility power at level 6 and solve all of your social problems with wild bluffing. Ideal races are tiefling for the feat support, appropriate facial profile and thematic link to the premier court system in D&D:

:doink:

Barring that roll an Eladrin so you can be a medium fey if not a Fey medium.

Another option is to go with a valorous bard and reflavor it so you're hitting people with your instrument and being as :black101: as possible.

Or a bard who focuses on as many movement and attack-granting powers as you can and insist your party members join you in big ensemble dance numbers. Bonus points for a high Dexterity/Acrobatics check. Be a revenant and the world will know the wrath of the necrodancer.

Depending on the setting, being the star of your own swinging report show is also a valid option.

Alternatively, be a no-strength warlord, pick the attack granting powers, MC bard, and take the Daring Blade at Paragon to suddenly become hyper competent with a weapon.

If you don't need a leader, there's also playing an enchanter mage MC bard and just going pied piper on everything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ButtWolf posted:

quote:

Play a Warforged Song of Cunning bard and bring one of these

Beatbox the Rappin' Robot (Warforged Bard) was a big hit back during the Wednesday encounters group.

You can also play a bard as James Bond, where you just hit people with witty one-liners and take powers to match.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Beatbox the Rappin' Robot (Warforged Bard) was a big hit back during the Wednesday encounters group.

How did you not go with Poptimus Rhyme

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Clever Bard is good for rhymers and instrument players and singers, Valor bard is good for chanters and speech givers and epic poem writers, and Presciensciecnecnies Bard is good for being bad, don't make one.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My favorite bard build is the one that spams penalties to attack and psychic/charm powers to Minmay enemies into dropping their weapons and deciding they want to be your friend. Nobody has to die.

Yelling "LISTEN TO MY SONG" when you roll initiative is optional but recommended.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Clever Bard is good for rhymers and instrument players and singers, Valor bard is good for chanters and speech givers and epic poem writers, and Presciensciecnecnies Bard is good for being bad, don't make one.

Even prescient isn't actually terrible once you get into Paragon, and there are some pretty sweet ranged weapon powers. It's REALLY hard to build a bad Bard in 4e; they have among the greatest levels of 'OMG every power I have at this level is awesome how do I choose' of any class in the game. They also have a wide range of builds, so you can do basically any concept with them that you want.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

When I think of robot bard all I can think of is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmY2wf7T428

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mendrian posted:

When I think of robot bard all I can think of is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmY2wf7T428
I can do you one better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqHGi4C6gTw

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

thespaceinvader posted:

Even prescient isn't actually terrible once you get into Paragon, and there are some pretty sweet ranged weapon powers. It's REALLY hard to build a bad Bard in 4e; they have among the greatest levels of 'OMG every power I have at this level is awesome how do I choose' of any class in the game. They also have a wide range of builds, so you can do basically any concept with them that you want.

Yes but why would you be a prescient bard when instead you can be some clever rhyming motherfucker who gives a saucy wink while they jack the devil's fiddle, or some proud warrior poet who pounds their sword and shield together as they chant the great tales of epic warriors to spur their companions on???

You're a bard. Style IS substance!

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

I think you mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrqsLbdcJYo

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yes but why would you be a prescient bard when instead you can be some clever rhyming motherfucker who gives a saucy wink while they jack the devil's fiddle, or some proud warrior poet who pounds their sword and shield together as they chant the great tales of epic warriors to spur their companions on???

You're a bard. Style IS substance!

You can do that as well. And indeed, should. It's just that you can ALSO sing of your allies' future valour so well that you actually make it happen.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So I'm pretty sure it was talked about in here before, but what are some good ways to handle conditions? One of our players seems to have a build based around locking enemies into Slow, Prone, and occasionally Stun and it's becoming pretty apparent that our GM is getting sick of it and I'd like to maybe present them with monster building advice to work around it without rendering said player's contributions useless.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Without knowing specifics, the general advice I'd say is to use more Minions. As the number of monsters on the board increases, the percentage of the entire enemy force that the Controller can inflict conditions on decreases. The Controller might then try to identify the most important target on the board, but then that's where the rest of the group dynamics come into play as the rest of the party then has to deal with the smaller fish to fry and all that that implies.

On a meta level, I'd also like to mention that "being sick of it" is sort of a thing you have to get over. As long as you can A. cause enough damage that'll require the consumption of at least a single Healing Surge to earn back, and/or B. present the players with a tough enough fight that they blow a Daily power, mission accomplished.

The only time I'd say the DM isn't doing their job correctly with regards to encounter creation is if the players are executing "perfect" fights on the regular where no damage is taken and only at-will and encounter powers are used.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eopia posted:

So I'm pretty sure it was talked about in here before, but what are some good ways to handle conditions? One of our players seems to have a build based around locking enemies into Slow, Prone, and occasionally Stun and it's becoming pretty apparent that our GM is getting sick of it and I'd like to maybe present them with monster building advice to work around it without rendering said player's contributions useless.
A solo that gets multiple actions a turn (but forfeits the first to drop their worst condition(s) automatically) plus a bunch of minions is the standard response. For example, see the dragons in the Monster Vault. But fights that are just that kind of thing reskinned over and over get pretty old. It can be expanded to just generally making some but not all of the monsters in an encounter resistant or straight up immune to certain conditions. (Like, say, a giant immobile, magical autoturret that doesn't care about being slowed and can't be proned.)

The next answer is one that solves a lot of issues; make the monsters not the actual goal of the encounter, but an obstacle towards it. Video games are a great object lesson here. "Hold the line for X rounds", "protect these fleeing civilians", "get from A to B through all these obstacles in X rounds", etc.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Eopia posted:

Slow/prone-locking is a legit build but it has hard counters. Hit him with artillery (doesn't need to move around to hit, doesn't care about slow), soldiers (will avoid more hits), and your own controllers. Use shifting terrain hazards (and terrain in general) to make movement more challenging.

Minions generally don't give a significant return for the XP investment, resulting in encounters that are too easy.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Eopia posted:

The player is denying actions in an action-economy centric game. There are roughly three ways of handling this:

a. Allow monsters to regain their actions by throwing off the effect(s), sometimes at a cost. Commonly used on big solo enemies.
b. Use things that are less reliant on actions to perform, such as auras, zones, or traps. Everyone loves interactive terrain, too.
c. Introduce more actions into the economy. Most people either love or hate minions, but this is one of those situations where they are well-suited (making the DM's life less of a pain).

Note that these are not mutually exclusive, and good design will likely want to incorporate elements of all three. Shifting the goal of the combat away from 'kill everything', as Poison Mushroom notes, is also a good idea.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

As a DM it is not your job to have your monsters do stuff. It can get irksome, but it helps to be a fan of the players. If they stun a dude, you don't go 'aww poo poo now I don't get to do my cool thing' you go 'lol he's hosed well done'.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

thespaceinvader posted:

As a DM it is not your job to have your monsters do stuff. It can get irksome, but it helps to be a fan of the players. If they stun a dude, you don't go 'aww poo poo now I don't get to do my cool thing' you go 'lol he's hosed well done'.

It's important to think that way, but it sure makes the game a lot more fun if you wail and gnash your teeth every time the party does something awesome.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Basically you can appear to be Dexter, but you wanna have the mindset of a Deedee.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I don't get it when DMs get frustrated by their encounters being easier than they thought. Sure it's tense and fun to get the PCs against the ropes only to have them pull it out at the last minute, and once you've tasted it you might end up chasing that high for the rest of your career - but fie, I say! That way lies disappointment and self destruction. Stop worrying and learn to love the AoE control.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'll somewhat disagree and say that optimized controllers can often make fights really, really boring.

Dishearten-spamming Psions, in particular.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
See the problem then becomes that an entire aspect of the game is just cold-war-pact banned from tables. Even simply sliding people around constantly without inflicting additional effects beyond combat advantage from flanking is considered too much hassle for the board (but only if it's a Controller doing it. A Bard taxi-ing everyone around is perfectly fine.). Meanwhile if you wanted to be the "blasty" form of control where your goal is to pop a million minions and spread damage/bloodied status everywhere, that removes a very large amount of builds. There's Wizard and sub-par Druid and then that's it.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
I can confirm that such a Psion was at least boring to play.

I was a lot more amused with that character's laundered vampirism via Half-Elf build in conception than I was with the result.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Unknown Quantity posted:

See the problem then becomes that an entire aspect of the game is just cold-war-pact banned from tables. Even simply sliding people around constantly without inflicting additional effects beyond combat advantage from flanking is considered too much hassle for the board (but only if it's a Controller doing it. A Bard taxi-ing everyone around is perfectly fine.). Meanwhile if you wanted to be the "blasty" form of control where your goal is to pop a million minions and spread damage/bloodied status everywhere, that removes a very large amount of builds. There's Wizard and sub-par Druid and then that's it.
No, it just has to be managed properly. Basically, you shouldn't be getting 2x or 5x the effectiveness of your control effects on an Elite or Solo. The end result of that scenario is that the DM just stops using Elites or Solos, or else ends up in an arms race that slows down combat.

Combat should be interesting, and that means that most fights should have a degree of challenge to them. If every monster is at -7 to attacks all battle; or 1-2 characters can keep monsters stunlocked for 6 rounds at a stretch, there's not really any challenge remaining. That's a fun diversion for "we just beat Orcus without spending a healing surge" stories, but shouldn't be the norm.

It's a rough tightrope to walk, no doubt. I want to (a) keep controllers as awesome and powerful as any other class, (b) keep fights moving at a nice pace, (c) keep fights challenging, and (d) maintain all those tools in my toolbox, including solos and elites.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

I'll somewhat disagree and say that optimized controllers can often make fights really, really boring.

Dishearten-spamming Psions, in particular.

Yup. 4E's heavy emphasis on control options for everybody can get really ugly. Stunning/dominating should be less common in particular, and pushing monsters' attack bonuses out of the window of effectiveness is too easy and ultra-powerful.

Frankly, well-balanced encounters where characters have to take risks and think tactically to win are much more rewarding for everyone than massacres. Massacring monsters is fun every now and then, but if it becomes the norm, the game becomes very boring. 4E is very combat-centric, the combat has to not suck.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

As a player and not a DM, I despise controllers because they take all the challenge out of the fight and thusly all the fun out of it. It brings back all those 3E fighter feelings about only being along to mop up after the wizard wins the encounter with save-or-sucks.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The problem is less "this character made that fight real easy" and more "this character makes every fight real boring."

I've never gotten around to enjoying the Controller role. It's entire purpose is to make fights less interesting.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
It's not really a controller-specific issue, though. Strikers that nova something off the board on the first turn and/or have 0.5-1.0 KPR also trivialize the fight.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Great, now I'm real excited to see my party wreck all of my monsters.

We're only level 3, but they've already got a Power of the Sun Invoker and a Greatbow Ranger.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mecha Gojira posted:

Great, now I'm real excited to see my party wreck all of my monsters.

We're only level 3, but they've already got a Power of the Sun Invoker and a Greatbow Ranger.

Don't be afraid to get pretty unfair by paragon. Seriously.

Also, add weird conditions to the fight whenever possible. There's a reason my players joke that it's always the rooms that kill them. Skill challenges, environmental damage, traps....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Oh, yeah, traps are definitely getting thrown into my repertoire now that I kind of have a feel for the monster math and encounter XP budget. I've found I'm already using XP budgets for encounters 1-2 levels ahead of them already, though part of that is the fact that they have their free bonus feats early. I also know from talking with the DM who ran me through Paragon that I can easily, easily push that budget further once we get higher level.

I'll agree, though, it can totally be the room that kills you. Walls of fire, pits of acid, electricity-rigged floor traps, and the like are always fun. I think I'll probably start throwing out more aquatic/amphibious monsters and water-filled cave dungeon tiles soon because my god do I have a lot of dungeon tiles for underground streams and lakes. Plus it's not like making up an aquatic creature doesn't just require the addition of a keyword or two on an existing monster.