Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

He attends the Grammies and takes complete control of Jethro Tull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Sneaks into an SCA meeting and manipulates roughly half of the elements in any one coat of arms.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

Sneaks into an SCA meeting and manipulates roughly half of the elements in any one coat of arms.

Let's be realistic, a guy dressed up like Magneto wouldn't have to sneak in to an SCA meeting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

Let's be realistic, a guy dressed up like Magneto wouldn't have to sneak in to an SCA meeting.

Only if his stupid costume was time period-accurate

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Only if his stupid costume was time period-accurate

Do you know what the A in SCA is?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Do you know what the A in SCA is?

I just know that my friend is way to into and he told me that if I ever wanted to join them I would need to wear a tunic like they did in per-Renaissance days. I never really had an urge to join them, tunic or not.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Squizzle posted:

He attends the Grammies and takes complete control of Jethro Tull.

This, I like this :perfect:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is it worth reading the whole of the Ultimate universe comics?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ultragonk posted:

Is it worth reading the whole of the Ultimate universe comics?

Don't read Ultimates 3 or Ultimatum.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Honestly you're probably better off just reading the good Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ultimate X-Men is okay up to a point (it's the point where Robert Kirkman takes over for me but might be sooner for other readers).

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

Don't read Ultimates 3 or Ultimatum.

I actually have read Ultimatum. I have been reading a load of back issues of Uncanny X-Men and felt a bit burnt out on it so I was reading round to see what I should sub it with then read about Ultimatum and it seemed to bizarre to pass up. It just seemed like an excuse to kill people off and "shock" the reader but it did make me want to read the Ultimate U to find out what makes Magneto do what he does and what happens after.

On the subject of Ultimatum what are the most depressing/bleak story arcs out there? Ultimatum was really bleak, usually, even if a character dies, you tend to have some uplift in it, but not that one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ultragonk posted:

I actually have read Ultimatum. I have been reading a load of back issues of Uncanny X-Men and felt a bit burnt out on it so I was reading round to see what I should sub it with then read about Ultimatum and it seemed to bizarre to pass up. It just seemed like an excuse to kill people off and "shock" the reader but it did make me want to read the Ultimate U to find out what makes Magneto do what he does and what happens after.

On the subject of Ultimatum what are the most depressing/bleak story arcs out there? Ultimatum was really bleak, usually, even if a character dies, you tend to have some uplift in it, but not that one.

Ruins. I'm a big Ellis fan but that was just over the top depressing

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if we're strictly sticking to superhero stuff then the Mr. Fear arc in Brubaker/Lark's Daredevil run is pretty ruthless.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ultragonk posted:

On the subject of Ultimatum what are the most depressing/bleak story arcs out there?
Oh hello, Punisher Max's Slavers arc!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 29, 2016

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if we're strictly sticking to superhero stuff then the Mr. Fear arc in Brubaker/Lark's Daredevil run is pretty ruthless.

Taking it beyond superheroes and Marvel, what else do you have?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ultragonk posted:

Maus

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Maus is really really well done and really really heart wrenching.

In a different way I always thought the ending to Ex Machina was bleak as gently caress.

Beautiful Darkness is also a bleak and dark twist on the standard fairy tale. Really worth checking out.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Ultragonk posted:

We3. The only comic I've ever read that I'd describe as a tear-jerker.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

For single issues, the second Beasts of Burden story "Lost" also deserves a mention.

And sticking with the canine theme but more of a general tearjerker than totally bleak is the great manga Stargazing Dog.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ultragonk posted:

Hulk: The End and Punisher: The End.

Similarly, What If: Kingdom of Cain (What If v.2 #94) is a huge downer. It's about a world where Juggernaut killed the X-Men in their first encounter. Without the X-Men around, the Sentinel problem grows out of control and they poison the atmosphere in order to wipe out all life. Juggernaut doesn't breathe, so he spends decades just wandering an empty world.

There's also a What If about Bruce Banner being an abusive husband to Betty while the Hulk is this timid, peaceful energy being. That one's also harsh.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Ror posted:

For single issues, the second Beasts of Burden story "Lost" also deserves a mention.

I have the Beasts of Burden HC, and like half the stories in that thing are loving designed to destroy you emotionally.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ultragonk posted:

Barefoot Gen is a big one. Crossed & Crossed +100. Punisher MAX (both Marvel and by some definitions a superhero but i'd say it counts for the purposes of this discussion). Just about anything by Ed Brubaker.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 30, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

We3, I Kill Giants, Sunny, and Stargazing Dog all ruined me.

Edit: and all things Joe Sacco, talk about a hard read, especially when the despair comes from real events

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 30, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

poo poo, i forgot Stargazing Dog. that one leveled me.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
At least We3 has a somewhat happy ending.

Really, I'd nominate Hickman's whole Avengers "Everything Dies" run. When it opens with a line like this...

"It breaks hope -- it crushes what makes us decent and steals what little honor remains. You have... no idea what is coming."

And the story then treats that line like a grim inescapable nihilistic reality instead of a great challenge to strive to overcome, well...that's not what superhero comics really are, IMO.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

At least We3 has a somewhat happy ending.

Really, I'd nominate Hickman's whole Avengers "Everything Dies" run. When it opens with a line like this...

"It breaks hope -- it crushes what makes us decent and steals what little honor remains. You have... no idea what is coming."

And the story then treats that line like a grim inescapable nihilistic reality instead of a great challenge to strive to overcome, well...that's not what superhero comics really are, IMO.

Only if you do something no-one will ever do and ignore that Secret Wars is the actual ending.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly you're probably better off just reading the good Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-man.

Frankly I'd cut out Ultimate Spider-Man before the end. Just read like, Miles' first two stories and call it done. Bendis reallly started spinning his wheels towards the end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's like what, 20 extra issues? Less?

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Fury: My War Gone By and Essex County are soul crushingly awesome.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 30, 2016

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Gaz-L posted:

Only if you do something no-one will ever do and ignore that Secret Wars is the actual ending.

True, but why was there Secret Wars? The heroes didn't save existence, Doom did. The greatest and noblest minds fragmented and broke just like that line said: Captain America and Iron Man (and yes Tony was inverted but still) spent the last moments of the first canon Marvel universe trying to destroy each other instead of going down swinging. Now yes, ultimately Reed Richards confronted Doom and made him admit his failings and ultimately got to fix the Marvel Multiverse, hence ultimately the heroes ended up saving the day, but the only reason that got to happen is that there was something resembling reality left, and who ended up doing that? One of the Marvel Universe's worst. It's pretty drat bleak: it'd be like if psychic aliens invaded the world and the ones who ultimately stopped them were ISIS and the many nasty forces in Africa running roughshed in the chaos and mass murdering as many people as they could, overwhelming the psychic aliens with pure suffering.

Basically, overall, the story needed more 'Thor calls his hammer back through a back' and less 'Now we are all monsters'.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Lencho posted:

Fury: My War Gone By and Essex County are soul crushingly awesome.

My War Gone By is hands-down one of my favorite comics and I'm already getting a tiny bit sad and sick thinking about the final issue.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
gently caress we3, I cried for an hour because I had all three of those animals as pets growing up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pride of Baghdad is kinda heart wrenching too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Seconding Essex County. Can't believe I forgot that one. Part 2 especially will wreck you.
I Kill Giants is also a sad read bit the ending is a bit more hopeful for all the tears that comes before it.
My girlfriend found Blankets to be very sad as well. It's been a while since I read it though so I should go back to that.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I'm going to be the dozenth person to recommend We3.

It made me cry like a seven-year-old girl who has fallen off her bike and skinned her knee.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm trying to remember this comic issue that I saw in a trade years ago, but I'm not finding any leads.

It's a comic about Deadpool explaining his origin to the reader. Namely the whole Weapon X thing with Killbrew and Ajax experimenting on him. Thing is, I'm almost certain it was in an all-ages book. Mainly because it begins with Deadpool on the phone with someone, angry that he's not even allowed to say his name because saying "dead" is against the rules in these comics.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? It's most certainly not X-Men Origins: Deadpool.

Edit: Never mind, figured it out. It was Weapon X: First Class.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 31, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ecavalli posted:

I'm going to be the dozenth person to recommend We3.
Goddamn it Mr. Bunbun :cry:

Though I believe it falls in line with the redemptive ending thing.

No one gonna throw Daytripper by Blas/Moon in there? It made me tear up a while lot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FilthyImp posted:

Goddamn it Mr. Bunbun :cry:

Though I believe it falls in line with the redemptive ending thing.

No one gonna throw Daytripper by Blas/Moon in there? It made me tear up a while lot.

Daytripper is one of my favorite comics ever but even with all the death of seemed mostly life-affirming. When I think of stuff that is bleak I usually think of stuff without a happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Outside of superheroes, Jaka's Story (Cerebus 5) floored me. It's the story of one woman's aristocratic past, which was interesting enough, but along the sides of the comic, and towards the end, it is slightly retold from a different viewpoint. The whole story is about emotionally complex characters passing each other in the night, doomed to never find connection or love. That hurt.

Also, one issue of Buddy Does Jersey. With the one character who didn't so much commit suicide as he simply lost the will to make decisions to keep himself alive. I later read that it was based on the author's brother.