Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I'm waiting for the day when Marche becomes playable in Dissidia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fister Roboto posted:

Agreed, it's too bad they all died.

i blame luso

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

gently caress the Haerii Oldroad, Jesus Christ. It's past the area with the Ochus, which is across the Steppe from the nearest teleporter and requires a Chocobo - so if you see a guarded chest either ignore it or start over - then you go through a passageway about five times as long as it needs to be only to find a paling with a target all the way over in the Mahabara. Why am I bothering with the postgame? :suicide:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

giffan posted:

The FF9 port backgrounds still look drat rough next to the new character models, but they're designed so well that any annoyances I have left just wash away.

It really is amazing how well designed IX is. Compared to VII, it's ludicrous how more detailed the character models are, especially considering IX only came three years later.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Txn posted:

I'm waiting for the day when Marche becomes playable in Dissidia.

He'll break the fourth wall constantly and yell at the player for playing video games because it's escapism.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TL posted:

It really is amazing how well designed IX is. Compared to VII, it's ludicrous how more detailed the character models are, especially considering IX only came three years later.

I think it's because they were more familiar with the PS1 capabilities. It's a nice progression though, from VII having different models for field and battle, to the others using the same high quality models. The seeds of it are in VII, with Cloud having the regular low-quality battle model, and a more detailed one for the final fight with Sephiroth.

IX even experimented with giving Zidane's model multiple expressions - although I don't remember seeing any outside of this cutscene.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 30, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

14 hours and twenty minutes until the next FF15 stream with the new combat and magic stuff

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

He isn't a girl people are just joking because the design looks vaguely girlish.

I was adding onto that joke. There's nothing vague about it, that's a female model.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I was adding onto that joke. There's nothing vague about it, that's a female model.

problematic

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ramza's a pretty boy from a long line of games with pretty boys in them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
People often make weird accusations about Final Fantasy characters looking like women, which are generally not true, but seriously, that's a woman. There's is absolutely nothing about that model that looks even remotely like it was intended to be a dude. Even the shape of his body looks more like "woman incompetently disguised as a man" than a guy.

It's weird because Ramza's original sprite, though fairly pretty, was pretty obviously male.

EDIT: Well, I tell a lie, it looks like Ramza's body has always had the weird hourglass shape even in the original art, which isn't exactly a dude thing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think it's because they were more familiar with the PS1 capabilities. It's a nice progression though, from VII having different models for field and battle, to the others using the same high quality models. The seeds of it are in VII, with Cloud having the regular low-quality battle model, and a more detailed one for the final fight with Sephiroth.

IX even experimented with giving Zidane's model multiple expressions - although I don't remember seeing any outside of this cutscene.

A similar progression happened with the SNES games too. VI's sprites, backgrounds, and enemies are insanely detailed compared to V and IV

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Guy grows a nose and suddenly everyone thinks he's too feminine. Though to be fair it is a cute nose.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Don't worry everyone, I fixed it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah, looks a lot manlier now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Help Im Alive posted:

Finally we get to play as Lord Voldemort.

[e]: Lantern-jaw:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 30, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Help Im Alive posted:

Y'know, I was gonna complain about being able to see where the nose clearly was but looking that close at the picture made me realise that your photoshop legitimately looks less feminine. :aaa:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ramza never really had any distinctly masculine features to begin with. It's just that now that he's in 3D with a lot more detail on his face the fact that he looks so feminine stands out more.

And that's fine. Men that look extremely feminine aren't out of the ordinary. Saying stuff like "no, that's definitely a woman" is kind of weird and gross.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Honestly though the old concept art for Ramza was pretty androgynous too.

EDIT: ^^Yeah, that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously though, I hope the fuckable Ramza is a woman, because otherwise hoo boy howdy oh no [tugs at collar and goes "yeesh"]

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JordanKai posted:

Ramza never really had any distinctly masculine features to begin with. It's just that now that he's in 3D with a lot more detail on his face the fact that he looks so feminine stands out more.

This, plus that's his chapter 1 costume. Isn't he like 14-15 in the flashback? That's young enough to not even have more adult facial features yet.

this is disregarding alt history 30-year-old academy dropout ramzas who spend a decade and a half grinding to become a mime

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Augus posted:

Honestly though the old concept art for Ramza was pretty androgynous too.

EDIT: ^^Yeah, that.

He's a noble. Grew up with no struggle, just entered the Academy. He's likely never gotten his hands dirty, much less broken a bone. And the long hair implies vanity as well, so he's probably taking care of his skin too.

Obviously I would have rather had Agrias or TG Cid in my fighting game, but I really like Ramza's character and progression. Even after he's been through dozens of bloody battles, the kid walks into a bar and orders a glass of milk.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So is Delita gonna be the enemy character from Tactics or are there better options?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I've decided to maybe give The ZIJS version of FF12 another go. Anyone have a recommended Character/Class set up?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

So is Delita gonna be the enemy character from Tactics or are there better options?

I heard this Dissidia doesn't have playable Chaos characters.

I hope they change that!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wiegraf would be a satisying target to beat up as that one boss everyone got stuck on, and is able to represent both the political intrigue (captain of the Death Corps) and demon-hunting (host for Velius/Belias) parts of the game's plot.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I hope they change that!

That's dumb as heck

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've decided to maybe give The ZIJS version of FF12 another go. Anyone have a recommended Character/Class set up?

All I remember from my playthrough is that time mages suck rear end and fran looks great with axes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They've already said after Ramza is done they are getting into adding the Chaos characters, breathe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Draw your sword.

I don't get the "he looks like a girl!!!" complaint. I don't necessarily think he does anyway but it doesn't make much difference to me. My qualms are that the artstyle doesn't represent the character especially well. Rise of Mana's version of him, Orlandeau and Agrias are much better even if they would clash stylistically.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I hope they change that!

That's dumb as heck

It's pretty common for arcade fighters to launch with a small number of playable characters. Slowly adding new characters to the roster is how they get people to keep playing these games, I guess!

I'm sure that by the time the game comes out on console(s??) all the old Chaos baddies will have already been added back in.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If they have a chaos char from Tactics I would say Delita is shoo in, yes.

Also possibly Agrias, there's supposed to be around some 50 characters when the game is done in Arcades and getting ready for its console release, so there's plenty of spots for cool new guys outside of the mainline series to show up.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't care, just as long as we get the game.

I mean I don't doubt we will but goddamn I'm excited for it, it looks fun as hell.

E: Delita wasn't really a villain though, the entire reason his character is beloved is his moral ambiguity and while he was using everybody he presented as an ally to Ramza.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Baal posted:

They've already said after Ramza is done they are getting into adding the Chaos characters, breathe.

cool

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Draw your sword.

I don't get the "he looks like a girl!!!" complaint. I don't necessarily think he does anyway but it doesn't make much difference to me. My qualms are that the artstyle doesn't represent the character especially well. Rise of Mana's version of him, Orlandeau and Agrias are much better even if they would clash stylistically.

i mean tbf to people he does look pretty traditionally feminine but taking that and saying he is a girl instead of being able to handle the concept of a girly looking guy is dumb

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Linnaeus posted:

All I remember from my playthrough is that time mages suck rear end and fran looks great with axes.

Same and also Knight took forever to no just be nothing, so since my last run went so bad I figued I'd ask for a better set up.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

i mean tbf to people he does look pretty traditionally feminine but taking that and saying he is a girl instead of being able to handle the concept of a girly looking guy is dumb

Also, this is Final Fantasy, where half of the males in the series already look incredibly feminine...

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
i mean yeah we could get Wiegraf or Delita as Ramza's chaos counterpart, both of those would be good options imo.

although wouldn't it be more awesome to play as Cuchulainn and vomit everywhere instead?

or have a component to Wiegraf where he transforms into Belias.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Arrrthritis posted:

or have a component to Wiegraf where he transforms into Belias.

Well a toned-down version of that ala Jecht and Braska's Final Aeon would be the most obvious choice as an EX Mode.

...that is still a thing, right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wiegraf's cool and everything but really, Delita is the best counterpart for Ramza and it's not really much of a competition even though Delita's not truly an antagonist.

That's never really been an hardset rule though I guess, what with Gabranth and Jecht getting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AlphaKretin posted:

Well a toned-down version of that ala Jecht and Braska's Final Aeon would be the most obvious choice as an EX Mode.

...that is still a thing, right?

Not for the arcade port, it's unknown as far as the console version goes