Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

1500 posted:

I don't understand using a docking computer, it is so much faster to just do it your self. Most of the time I am boosting through the slot anyway even in my Anaconda.

I'm lazy and like being able to alt-tab and read stuff while my ship docks itself :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Annath posted:

Can the DBX make a halfway decent combat ship? I really like the look, but I don't want to sacrifice too too much in the way of PvE combat ability and survivability.
The DBS is the fighty one. It looks almost exactly the same, but is fast as gently caress and turns on a dime on account of not having to lug a class 5 hyperdrive around.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I want to share a new Imperial rep grind method that I tried yesterday, which works surprisingly well- better than the planet mission grind or donation hunting, at the moment. Actually this might be an old rep grind but it works, so:

1) Take a smuggling loadout on your favorite ship. You're going to need jump range, 30-60 cargo, and the ability to boost away from scans ASAP. My own Asp built for Robigo runs worked perfectly.

2) Go to Cubeo, Medupe terminal. (I have not tested all the terminals yet- Medupe works, there might be a faster one.)

3) Look on the bulletin board for Classified Data Transport and Shadow Delivery missions.
a) Be sure to only take CDT's that are more than 20 LY's away.
b) Always check the system you're transporting to. The CDT's are on very short timers and nothing sucks more than getting one to a station 300k ls away.
c) Only take missions between two imperial factions.

4) While you're scumming the bulletin board, also pick up all the donation missions that you can fit in your cargo hold in one return trip.

5) Do 3&4 until you have about 4 missions, ideally 2 of each type. Leave early if you have to.

6) Go do your deliveries, prioritizing the lower-timed CDT's. On your way back, stop at Pangilagra and pick up anything you need to fill donation missions.

I was making easily 15-20% from Count to Earl per 30 minute run. Not bad at all considering the low mission volume. It seems like running these between two imperial factions counts for your rank twice, and the farther you go, the higher the boost. It's also a little challenging because you'll be dodging scans and the CDT's are on a very tight timer, which makes it that much more fun than donation grinding.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Annath posted:

Can the DBX make a halfway decent combat ship? I really like the look, but I don't want to sacrifice too too much in the way of PvE combat ability and survivability.

I tried an A-rated one a few weeks ago and took it to a HazRES and it was okay enough against smaller ships, but when I got attacked by a wing of 3 I barely made it out alive with it. This was it: My DBX

I quickly sold it and went back to my Murder Vulture for combat. I can take that to a HazRES for an hour without any major issues.

I finally saved up and got a Python today at Lembava with a nice discount. I currently have it outfitted for trading while I make money to upgrade it to a nice murder ship.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

tooterfish posted:

The DBS is the fighty one. It looks almost exactly the same, but is fast as gently caress and turns on a dime on account of not having to lug a class 5 hyperdrive around.

But I can't buy a chrome skin for the Scout! :v:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I just got Horizons (had the original Elite from the Christmas sale) through steam and now when I log in, I get some failure saying the authentication server couldn't be accessed. I put in a support ticket per Frontier's FAQ, but is there any way to get it to authenticate? I tried logging out and I tried validating the files on steam.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

MoraleHazard posted:

I just got Horizons (had the original Elite from the Christmas sale) through steam and now when I log in, I get some failure saying the authentication server couldn't be accessed. I put in a support ticket per Frontier's FAQ, but is there any way to get it to authenticate? I tried logging out and I tried validating the files on steam.

Pretty sure the servers are making GBS threads for everyone.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Natsuumi posted:

Pretty sure the servers are making GBS threads for everyone.

Yeah I don't know what they did over there but ~7+ hours of dead authentication servers suggests that something poo poo the bed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Helter Skelter posted:

A docking computer isn't going to help improve your skills any.

Some of us are lazy.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I feel like flying my spaceship for the first time in in almost two weeks and servers are down, awesome.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Servers are supposedly back up.

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist

Atrayonis posted:

Servers are supposedly back up.

Did someone deliver an unknown artifact to the auth server or something?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah the games back up. On their twitter they posted something like, "we are looking at ways to compensate commanders for the downtime.", but it got deleted right away.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Kramjacks posted:

Yeah the games back up. On their twitter they posted something like, "we are looking at ways to compensate commanders for the downtime.", but it got deleted right away.

Haha. How hard is it to throw 1 million credits at players?

Amstrat
Feb 16, 2011
edit: how did I mess up my reply so badly

Amstrat fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 30, 2016

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

MoraleHazard posted:

Haha. How hard is it to throw 1 million credits at players?

All Missions, Combat Bonds, and Bounties will net you an extra 20% over the next 48 hours.

Will probably get you more than 1m :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Figures I'm out exploring.

Amstrat
Feb 16, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They're going to at least "discuss" a bonus for exploring, what ever that turns out to be,

quote:

Hey guys

As mentioned in this thread exploration needs nore consideration sadly. But we will be sure to discuss it, along with the CG extension requests on Monday.

Thanks
Zac
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=228786&page=3&p=3504045&viewfull=1#post3504045

Edit: added link to frontier forum post

Amstrat fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 30, 2016

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah, once the servers came back up last night I spent about 3 hours jumping away from the bubble.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Guess I better stop rare trading and get back to my murder boat.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Wasn't there a thing said back before Horizons on how the synthesis system was *not* the crafting system but a different system altogether? And now these engineers require these synthesis materials even though they aren't the crafting system? Am I not remembering correctly or?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSMTxAJn4uw
In this video from Pax South I get the feeling that these synthesis engineer components might be a randomly generated thing in the sense that we might not even get to choose what component we get. I know it's speculation but with powerplay being what it is I have some reservations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

KakerMix posted:

Wasn't there a thing said back before Horizons on how the synthesis system was *not* the crafting system but a different system altogether? And now these engineers require these synthesis materials even though they aren't the crafting system? Am I not remembering correctly or?

From what I remember synthesis has always been referred to as the first stage of crafting, though it does feel like in practical terms it's going to have very little in common with the engineers system. I'm not sure if they've 100% confirmed that engineers may / will require planetside materials but it seems quite likely.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
Make it possible to sell materials you have, collected while exploring or mining or whatever, to other players.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

BRB pooping posted:

Make it possible to sell materials you have, collected while exploring or mining or whatever, to other players.

Yeah if there was an incentive for me to go out and mine for weeks other than selling them to a station or whatever, I'd be more inclined to do it. I like mining.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm trying to find a HazRES or compromised beacon out somewhere near the Lave cluster, and I'll be damned if none of them are turning up. I'm sad right now.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
If I had a hand in things, I'd make ammunition supply able via cargo hold (ammunition hold? Inbuilt on ship?) that your synthesis would just make 1T of. Same for most all of the current synthesis options.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
A thing that I liked to do in minecraft was go to places and then make a big pole on it and then drop a bucket of lava at the top.

Here is my neat idea for exploring: They let you draw a dickbutt or whatever somewhere on anything you scan.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wozbo posted:

If I had a hand in things, I'd make ammunition supply able via cargo hold (ammunition hold? Inbuilt on ship?) that your synthesis would just make 1T of. Same for most all of the current synthesis options.

It's been on my wishlist (and a lot of of other people's too I bet) for quite a while.

It would be as easy as making a few types of rack : cargo for goods, passenger for people, equipment for ammo/FSD charges/whatever. Maybe make the latter have half capacity for the sake of balance. I guess it would be hard to balance though for the bigger ships, you could just slap a couple size 6 racks on a Python/Anaconda and never worry about running out of ammo or other stuff, but hey, that's a nice perk when you pay dozens if not hundreds of millions for your ship.

By the way are they ever going to implement passenger transport or they forgot about it entirely? The Orca is still a 50 million paperweight basically.

Edit: Also while we're daydreaming, give us some harder missions or activities with decent payouts, once you pass the 100 million mark or so it takes forever to earn money unless you exploit something, and even then it takes slightly less than forever. I want the bigger ships but I have a job and a family, I don't have time to grind 500 millions Frontier, drat you. At least as said let us sell our rare poo poo like painite and planetside materials to other players for space cash.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 31, 2016

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
In case anyone wants a new ship skin: https://community.elitedangerous.com/promotions/paxsouth2016

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

BRB pooping posted:

How about just making the engineers cost more if you can't provide materials? I don't like the idea of non-horizons players being locked out of this if it provides firepower upgrades.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Angrymog posted:

How about just making the engineers cost more if you can't provide materials? I don't like the idea of non-horizons players being locked out of this if it provides firepower upgrades.

Or at least have an alternative like doing some missions for the engineers where the payout is material.

Like Engineer A is offering to upgrade you FSD injectors to increase your jump range by 20%. They need 5 units of whatever that you don't have.

Engineer B gives missions that pays in whatever Engineer A needs, so you go and do missions for B to earn material for A.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Angrymog posted:

I get what they want to do with regards to having to gather resources yourself for crafting, but it seems really grindy. Locking player out of crafting if they dont have Horizons is kinda lovely tho. A market would be an awesome addition to the game, it doesnt have to have EvE-like complexity, just allow people to sell the materials needed for crafting. I mean, we will have to grind rep for the engineers to unlock the higher tiers of upgrades on top of having to provide the materials ourselves. Im way too lazy for that.

Turmoil posted:

Or at least have an alternative like doing some missions for the engineers where the payout is material.

Like Engineer A is offering to upgrade you FSD injectors to increase your jump range by 20%. They need 5 units of whatever that you don't have.

Engineer B gives missions that pays in whatever Engineer A needs, so you go and do missions for B to earn material for A.

Yeah this. +5 to PewPew should be obtainable for those of us who dont like the idea of flying around looking for materials. Just some alternate way of obtaining mats would go a long way.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Sarsapariller posted:

I want to share a new Imperial rep grind method that I tried yesterday, which works surprisingly well- better than the planet mission grind or donation hunting, at the moment. Actually this might be an old rep grind but it works, so:

1) Take a smuggling loadout on your favorite ship. You're going to need jump range, 30-60 cargo, and the ability to boost away from scans ASAP. My own Asp built for Robigo runs worked perfectly.

2) Go to Cubeo, Medupe terminal. (I have not tested all the terminals yet- Medupe works, there might be a faster one.)

3) Look on the bulletin board for Classified Data Transport and Shadow Delivery missions.
a) Be sure to only take CDT's that are more than 20 LY's away.
b) Always check the system you're transporting to. The CDT's are on very short timers and nothing sucks more than getting one to a station 300k ls away.
c) Only take missions between two imperial factions.

4) While you're scumming the bulletin board, also pick up all the donation missions that you can fit in your cargo hold in one return trip.

5) Do 3&4 until you have about 4 missions, ideally 2 of each type. Leave early if you have to.

6) Go do your deliveries, prioritizing the lower-timed CDT's. On your way back, stop at Pangilagra and pick up anything you need to fill donation missions.

I was making easily 15-20% from Count to Earl per 30 minute run. Not bad at all considering the low mission volume. It seems like running these between two imperial factions counts for your rank twice, and the farther you go, the higher the boost. It's also a little challenging because you'll be dodging scans and the CDT's are on a very tight timer, which makes it that much more fun than donation grinding.

Ya that is what I was doing before switching to Fed rank grinding. If you want to cheat the system some, you can logout right as you launch from Cubeo station, then log back in, this dumps you 10k from the station. Makes it impossible to be scanned on the way out. Its not something you need to do, but its an option.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

MoraleHazard posted:

keep trying, that happens to me as well, but if you just keep trying you will get in.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

1500 posted:

Ya that is what I was doing before switching to Fed rank grinding. If you want to cheat the system some, you can logout right as you launch from Cubeo station, then log back in, this dumps you 10k from the station. Makes it impossible to be scanned on the way out. Its not something you need to do, but its an option.

Man I get so tired of constant menu shuffling just for the BB's, I can't imagine doing it to exit stations too. It's not even about integrity, at some point it'd just be nice if there was a problem in the game that wasn't solvable by relogging.

But I'm done now- the Cubeo delivery grind rocketed me through the final three ranks in just a couple days, and I'm now the proud owner of a Cutter. Now to go do three more weeks of Robigo runs to fit it out.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Does anyone have a babby's first Vulture fit? I've ground ~4.5 million in my Viper Mk IV and the ship and modules is worth about ~2 million.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Any word on new weapons? Want those class 3 MC's

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Does anyone have a babby's first Vulture fit? I've ground ~4.5 million in my Viper Mk IV and the ship and modules is worth about ~2 million.

Cheap vulture build will feel more powerful than a decked out viper

Class 3 gimballed pulse to stay out all day
Dual anything else for comedy

Heres what im running - may not be ideal (and im on xbox so dont know what im missing in pc)

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A4B4A3D5A4C3C1e1e06060606B2032o4u2h.Iw19kA==.Aw19kA==

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MoraleHazard posted:

Start from here and upgrade the things that usually make sense to upgrade. Last I used my Vulture, it looked like this.

• Locked thread