Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

Yeah.... test conditions are not race conditions, or qualifying or even practice conditions. I'd be shocked as all hell if he could wildcard and be at the very sharp end of the pack. Who knows, maybe. Thats why people like Casey right? They can point at him and say 'OH IF ONLY CASEY WAS HERE, he could do it!".

I have my doubts.

I dunno man, Bayliss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I think the games moved on too far without him. Oh well, we'll never know because it ain't happening.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
First day of testing done and dusted. Good news for Rossi? He's in second, behind Lorenzo. Bad news? He's a second behind Lorenzo.

https://motomatters.com/results/2016/02/01/2016_sepang_motogp_test_times_monday_lor.html
code:
Top 5:

Pos	No	Rider	           Bike	          Time	          Diff	Prev
1	99	Jorge Lorenzo	Yamaha M1	2:00.684	 	 
2	46	Valentino Rossi	Yamaha M1	2:01.717 	1.033	1.033
3	26	Dani Pedrosa 	Honda R  	2:01.780 	1.096	0.063
4	9	Danilo Petrucci	Ducati GP16	2:01.811	1.127	0.031
5	29	Andrea Iannone	Ducati GP16	2:01.912 	1.228	0.101

Also they announced that Casey will be out on track with them today

Here is media-hating Casey being a big fat jerk head to some Journos last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi5yZ_6OS2s

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did petrux sneak in some NOS or something.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

nsaP posted:

First day of testing done and dusted. Good news for Rossi? He's in second, behind Lorenzo. Bad news? He's a second behind Lorenzo.

https://motomatters.com/results/2016/02/01/2016_sepang_motogp_test_times_monday_lor.html
[code]
Top 5:

Pos No Rider Bike Time Diff Prev
1 99 Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha M1 2:00.684
2 46 Valentino Rossi Yamaha M1 2:01.717 1.033 1.033
3 26 Dani Pedrosa Honda R 2:01.780 1.096 0.063
4 9 Danilo Petrucci Ducati GP16 2:01.811 1.127 0.031
5 29 Andrea Iannone Ducati GP16 2:01.912 1.228 0.101

Ugh more Lorenzo. Anything but.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Baz had a hell of a crash on the front straight due to what they're saying is a tire failure, potentially from running too low a pressure. No one is running the softs now so the fastest times are done for the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on2mgiv4TxA

Very nearly hit by his own bike as well it looks like.

edit: he's fine, scratch on the ol elbow

nsaP fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 2, 2016

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Stoner finished the day in 9th, his second ever day on it, 2nd day on a MotoGP bike after a year or so. Beat Dovi. lol. Less than a second from Lorenzo in 2nd.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Also on the 2015 bike..

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
https://motomatters.com/results/2016/02/03/2016_sepang_motogp_test_wednesday_final_.html

5th today, after saying they were purely testing and not chasing times.

Round up:
https://motomatters.com/analysis/2016/02/03/2016_sepang_motogp_test_wednesday_round_.html

quote:

What did we learn from the first proper MotoGP test of the new era of Michelin tires and spec electronics? More than we hoped, yet less than we think. A quick run down on the state of play after Sepang, with more to come over the following days.

Michelin

The riders approached the Sepang test with some trepidation, fearing that Michelin had not fixed its wayward front that caused so many crashes at Valencia and Jerez. Their fears were unfounded, the new front tires which Michelin brought – a total of five different types, of varying construction and compound – were all a massive step forward. They were not as stable as the Bridgestones they replaced, but they had gained a lot of predictability and feedback. There were very few crashes which the riders said they had not seen coming.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2016/02/03/2016_sepang_motogp_test_wednesday_round_.html posted:

Yamaha good, Lorenzo great

Yamaha good, Lorenzo great, prospects of an exciting championship fading rapidly.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

nsaP posted:

Baz had a hell of a crash on the front straight due to what they're saying is a tire failure, potentially from running too low a pressure. No one is running the softs now so the fastest times are done for the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on2mgiv4TxA

Very nearly hit by his own bike as well it looks like.

edit: he's fine, scratch on the ol elbow

Weren't they saying it was a tyre failure?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Tyre failure caused by too low a tyre pressure.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Shimrod posted:

Tyre failure caused by too low a tyre pressure.

Keep in mind, tire pressures are set by Michellen on all the bikes. It was a tire failure, 'too low pressure' is a nice way of sort of deflecting. Teething issues, it'll get sorted out but it was absolutely a tire failure.

Loris Baz is the biggest and heaviest rider and one of his tires was delaminating earlier in the day as well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Everything I've read indicates the slower teams were trying really low pressures to get more grip. The blowout induced michelin to set a blanket limit on pressures.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Even so, Michelin sets the pressures for all the bikes and crawls all over the tires after and before every session. I'd say it was in their control to say 'No' if that pressure was out of spec and dangerous (Since they came up with the pressure ranges, and set the pressure on every bike). Since it exploded, it clearly wasn't expected to be out of spec, so tire failure.

In any case, makes things interesting having a new manufacturer. Any new tire manufacturer for MotoGP was/would have these kind of problems; I think they are actually doing quite well.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Everything I've read indicates the slower teams were trying really low pressures to get more grip. The blowout induced michelin to set a blanket limit on pressures.

This is correct but arguing about it with Spiffness will be less satisfying than beating your head against the wall.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

gently caress you I'm trapped at a convention, this is all I have right now.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, Michelin was setting pressures and the lower teams were trying them a bit too low. It was Michelins fault, but I guess you don't know how low you can actually go until you try. I agree, Michelin is doing a great job.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

*yawn* Any reason to give a poo poo this year?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm hoping Ducati does well this year.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

The same reason to give a poo poo any year, pinky. Because men are going to hurl themselves around a race course inches from one another at deadly speeds in a desperate attempt to satiate your sick sense of amusement.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Someone might make it a small challenge for Lorenzo to win the championship i guess.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I really really like having Colin Edwards in the commentary box.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cal crutchlow is worried someone might get cut open by the aero wings so there's that I guess.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

GriszledMelkaba posted:

You serious? We just came off of the best GP season in a decade. I thought I read this in the F1 thread for a minute.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Someone might make it a small challenge for Lorenzo to win the championship i guess.

On what bike? :smug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

You serious? We just came off of the best GP season in a decade. I thought I read this in the F1 thread for a minute.

Yup, and the new technical regulations and spate of new bikes and other exciting developments and stuff pretty much guarantees all lorenzo all the time because that's how these things work.

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007
I don't know if you guys have been watching WSBK or not, but if you haven't, you've been missing out on some incredible racing.

They are two races deep into the season so far and it's been awesome. Same story with WSS.

We're talking race finishes where the front pack is 5+ bikes in a group all battling it out.

World Superbike changed their format to a race on Saturday and than race 2 on Sunday, instead of the previous format where they ran both races on Sunday along with World Superstock.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SBK is good, WSS is amazing.

I'll never stop laughing at MV's 'detuned for reliability' engines.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jonathan Rae is both awesome to watch and a loving stand up guy. It's great racing and everyone is having a good time.

WSBK deserves so many more viewers than it gets.

I want to like motogp but gently caress Lorenzo x1million forever and ever. Gah.

I hope Suzuki cleans up by some miracle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's also a place filled with lunatic hail-mary dives up the inside and chaz davies' berserker rage. :getin:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I like watching WSBK for Tom Sykes. Nothing like a guy leading all but the last 5 or 6 laps because he can't keep the tires in shape to last for an entire race. He seems to be doing a bit better with it this year.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I accidentally caught a few BSB races from last year and they were all great. Gonna try to follow it this year. Plus they have better tracks than anyone else. Cadwell, Brands hatch, etc.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
BSB is great cause their tracks are glorified walking paths.

I missed the GP qualifying but looking at the results :getin:

Also Rossi just signed for 2 more years despite saying he'd be waiting till mid season. This is hairy because Lorenzo has said from the off that he wanted a contract and to stay with Yamaha forever. It's said that he has one in front of him but hasn't signed. So basically don't believe a word riders said. Here's what someone smarter than me says https://motomatters.com/analysis/2016/03/19/silly_season_officially_open_analyzying_.htmlb

nsaP fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 19, 2016

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Fack I guess we need a new thread too.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'm excited for Suzuki! To join back in and be competitive so quickly is seriously impressive

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Remember when 2015 was supposed to be 2014, all over again?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

I missed the GP qualifying but looking at the results :getin:
I don't know how you got from

quote:

1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 54.543s [Lap 2/6] 333km/h (Top Speed)
2. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 54.634s +0.091s [4/7] 330km/h
to

quote:

:getin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Might not all be as it seems though. George had a couple of little moments in qualifying that could translate to a crash in the race and Iannone would likely be on pole if he didn't get caught up behind Redding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Marc also would have been on pole if he had made it across the line 1 second earlier. By 0.3s.

• Locked thread