Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Oh wow, it makes that cicada noise from every anime ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

TheRagamuffin posted:

Oh wow, it makes that cicada noise from every anime ever.

Trap sprung.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LloydDobler posted:

Don't they just have tons of foam in the fluid and adding more would fix that?

Still funny though.

You could flush the system and bleed all you want and after a drive or two it will do that exact same thing. Fluid level will measure perfect until you crank it when it proceeds to disappear into some sort of dimensional void.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Piston out of a Toyota 4 banger current recall for oil consumption.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.
How badly hosed were the bores?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Torn Quad Jones posted:

The 2.4L out of the tC/Vibe/Camry?

Edit: 2AZ-FE

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

homebrew posted:

How badly hosed were the bores?

The 4 I've seen all still had super faint cross hatching with alot of carbon build right at the bore lip. And as far as I know if they are hosed we slap in a lowish mile junkyard motor. Gonna start collecting these things and use them as child blocks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's not consuming oil. Look, you can see its all right there on the crown of that piston!

:v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

Torn Quad Jones posted:

The 4 I've seen all still had super faint cross hatching with alot of carbon build right at the bore lip. And as far as I know if they are hosed we slap in a lowish mile junkyard motor. Gonna start collecting these things and use them as child blocks.

Interesting, I've had the same experience with 2ZR-FE. LIke we would stick new pistons/rings in for warranty to stop the consumption and the new pistons would come out of the box smaller than the old.

Also 1VD-FTV with the same thing getting bought back from customers. It was a dark time for toyota reliability.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We've had a few VDJ79's back when they first hit the market drinking up to 1.5L/5000kms of oil- Never puffing blue though, which was interesting!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/HUAsypy.gifv

Bad cat

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

Torn Quad Jones posted:

It's a Toyota, looks normal to me.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

I thought it was only criminals that went around cutting perfectly working cats out of cars?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

We've had a few VDJ79's back when they first hit the market drinking up to 1.5L/5000kms of oil- Never puffing blue though, which was interesting!

What was hilarious was toyota living in denial for a good six months and insisting that it's normal if you're using the vehicle under 'severe operating conditions'. I looked up what that means and it apparently means if you're towing, going up steep hills or driving over 90km/h continuously.

The true hilarity began when they decided to stick new pistons and rings in one and gave it to the 'hybrid elite' technician who couldn't wipe his rear end without triplicate instructions and had never assembled an engine in his life. Twenty hours, one gouged bore and a $15,000 replacement bare block later, nobody had learned anything.

That cat is only slightly fatter than my cat and visibly smarter :ohdear:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I thought it was only criminals that went around cutting perfectly working cats out of cars?

That cat is not working perfectly; if it was, everyone involved would have lost a large amount of blood immediately.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Slavvy posted:

What was hilarious was toyota living in denial for a good six months and insisting that it's normal if you're using the vehicle under 'severe operating conditions'. I looked up what that means and it apparently means if you're towing, going up steep hills or driving over 90km/h continuously.

The true hilarity began when they decided to stick new pistons and rings in one and gave it to the 'hybrid elite' technician who couldn't wipe his rear end without triplicate instructions and had never assembled an engine in his life. Twenty hours, one gouged bore and a $15,000 replacement bare block later, nobody had learned anything.

$15,000 block? I'm guessing it's a V8 diesel? Cause I don't think Toyota makes any blocks that would cost that much in the states.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

V8 compacted graphite Iron block. Cant be cheap to manufacture!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

What years does this effect? Currently looking at camary/Carolla in my quest to figure out what I want to drive.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

tater_salad posted:

What years does this effect? Currently looking at camary/Carolla in my quest to figure out what I want to drive.
You should get a camero or a carvette instead.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Miata Is Always The Answer.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

kastein posted:

His name is tater_salad, cut him some slack.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The unit switch on the boiling/freezing point is a masterstroke.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

kastein posted:

Sorry I've spelled them wrong so often autocorrect defaults to the bad spelling
Camry or corolla.. better lord of the rust?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

some texas redneck posted:

That cat is not working perfectly; if it was, everyone involved would have lost a large amount of blood immediately.

I was preparing for the worst when I saw all the short sleeves. :ohdear:

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

A friends Ferrari 360.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does he have a repair estimate yet?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

xzzy posted:

Does he have a repair estimate yet?

He'll just buy a new one... That bastard!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Kidney Stone posted:

A friends Ferrari 360.

That's an expensive pile of slag. :(

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Ferremit posted:

That's Land Rover territory there.

Another of the undocumented features of those 79's is that loading them up when cold would cause the engine to knock.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CharlesM posted:

$15,000 block? I'm guessing it's a V8 diesel? Cause I don't think Toyota makes any blocks that would cost that much in the states.

Ferremit posted:

V8 compacted graphite Iron block. Cant be cheap to manufacture!

Yup and yup. Also that part number had never been brought into NZ before and genuine parts here are insanely expensive because of the shipping + sales volume equation. Snapped the ring on the last piston too :negative:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Torn Quad Jones posted:

The 1ZZ-FE does this bullshit too. Just gives me a reason to rev it like a maniac to try and keep the pistons halfway clean.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My mom's rav-4 that now belongs to my sister has never consumed any oil. But it does get driven over mountain passes with a bunch of poo poo in the back on a regular basis.

And if you just throw new pistons and rings in a block without measuring anything or re-honing the bores you are going to have a bad time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Slavvy posted:

Yup and yup. Also that part number had never been brought into NZ before and genuine parts here are insanely expensive because of the shipping + sales volume equation. Snapped the ring on the last piston too :negative:

Hmm. I wonder about my plan to buy a Mazda 2 in Puerto Rico and bring it to the mainland.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Hmm. I wonder about my plan to buy a Mazda 2 in Puerto Rico and bring it to the mainland.

Take it to a Scion shop, it's the iA here.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I got a nice surprise while test driving a Dodge Dakota the other day. It made a popping noise while coming out of a turn and the front end started wobbling heavily. It mercifully smoothed out as I slowed down, and the steering felt a bit loose as well. Luckily, I was turning onto the street just before the shop, so I was able to limp it safely back up on the rack to see what's what. As I began to shake it down, I soon found the culprit hidden beneath the plastic bellows boot covering the end of the steering rack:

It was pretty clear that it had been bent in a wreck of some kind and "straightened" rather than replaced. Coulda been worse, I suppose.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 30, 2016

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

sofullofhate posted:

That's an expensive pile of slag. :(

Well, he's got some other nice cars in his garage...

A 1996 Maserati Ghibli GT, a 1977 Ferrari 308 GTB Carburettor, a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano HGTE, and a 2000 Maserati 3200 GT.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Kidney Stone posted:

Well, he's got some other nice cars in his garage...

A 1996 Maserati Ghibli GT, a 1977 Ferrari 308 GTB Carburettor, a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano HGTE, and a 2000 Maserati 3200 GT.

Other than the 599 all those are like $15-$20k cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Root Bear posted:

I got a nice surprise while test driving a Dodge Dakota the other day. It made a popping noise while coming out of a turn and the front end started wobbling heavily. It mercifully smoothed out as I slowed down, and the steering felt a bit loose as well. Luckily, I was turning onto the street just before the shop, so I was able to limp it safely back up on the rack to see what's what. As I began to shake it down, I soon found the culprit hidden beneath the plastic bellows boot covering the end of the steering rack:

It was pretty clear that it had been bent in a wreck of some kind and "straightened" rather than replaced. Coulda been worse, I suppose.

That's an impressive amount of dedication to not paying any money for new parts. WTF.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Throatwarbler posted:

Other than the 599 all those are like $15-$20k cars.

That doesn't mean they aren't nice. Also, I'm pretty sure you're dead wrong on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

BlackMK4 posted:

That doesn't mean they aren't nice. Also, I'm pretty sure you're dead wrong on that.

A quick google suggests at least the 308 is worth between 100,000-300,000 USD (they sell in the UK for 50-150k GBP). Agree on them all being nice, too.