Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

This is empirically false. Every single example I gave is abusing human rights outside of its borders, and all but Syria (who is currently incapable of projecting much abroad due to civil war) are doing so at a higher volume and severity than Israel.

You very well know the idea of Palestinian nationalism is extremely controversial among Arabs/Muslims in Israel, and many groups such as the Druze would largely virulently disagree with you on this.

Israel's abuses of people outside it's borders are well documented. Consider the downing of a libyan civilian airliner during i think 1973-74 during its military adventures with egypt. Or the arresting and transfer of virtually the entire male population of Sidon and surrounding palestinian refugee camps/villages during the 1982 lebanon invasion. Consider also it's brutal treatment of both lebanese civilians and palestinians under israeli custody, before and during the push into west beirut. Consider also Operation Wrath of God, although targetted killings of suspected terrorists in a country you have no right to in isn't torture and humiliation per se but certainly illegal as gently caress.

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 30, 2016

Herr Shitlord
May 2, 2008

I feel so much butter!
I really want to understand the Israeli–Palestinian conflict better and, while I grasp the basics, I understand this issue goes much deeper than what I'm going to get from Wikipedia summaries alone. Does anybody have any resources to better understand the core of this conflict, the issues in establishing two separate states, or anything else you'd find relevant in formulating a better understanding of this issue? Thanks a lot.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Herr Shitlord posted:

I really want to understand the Israeli–Palestinian conflict better and, while I grasp the basics, I understand this issue goes much deeper than what I'm going to get from Wikipedia summaries alone. Does anybody have any resources to better understand the core of this conflict, the issues in establishing two separate states, or anything else you'd find relevant in formulating a better understanding of this issue? Thanks a lot.

I like rashid khalidi's the iron cage for a broad look at how the current situation developed. Theres lots others that might be more up to date though

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

I like rashid khalidi's the iron cage for a broad look at how the current situation developed. Theres lots others that might be more up to date though

Or if you want an actually good suggestion read 'Righteous Victims' by Benny Morris instead of anything by Khalidi.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

There were a couple really good suggestions some users listed earlier in the thread

Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict by Norman Finkelstein
Fateful Triangle by Noam Chomsky
The Question of Palestine by Edward Said, also Orientialism was really good at helping understand some things, like how the media is used to frame the narrative around a certain set of well-established tropes about the middle east that go unchallenged to this day.

Team Overhead Smash or Main Paineframe had some really good suggestions too that I can't remember.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Or if you want an actually good suggestion read 'Righteous Victims' by Benny Morris instead of anything by Khalidi.

This guy is hilarious. Jews have been victimized in the past therefore anything terrible they do now is justified because in the long historical run jews will have been treated worse.

gently caress Benny Morris.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Herr Shitlord posted:

Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict by Norman Finkelstein a suggested previously is a pro-buy that deals with a lot of false claims and beliefs you may come across if you start reading into the conflict and comprehensively dismantles them, often showing how the source material of other authors making these claims was distorted, fabricated or plagiarised. I also feel for him because his personal beliefs and integrity really killed his academic career. It'll also give you a decent overview of some key points conflict just because the process of tearing apart all the fictional beliefs will involve showing what the actual realistic approach is

To understand the issues in establishing two separate states, you might want to look at either one of two books focusing on the de facto deaththroes of the peace process in the late 1990's/early 2000's, Shattered Dreams by Charles Enderlin or Clayton E. Swisher's The Truth About Camp David. These deal with an inside look at the negotiations of land, return of refugees, the status of East Jerusalem, etc and where the two sides found common ground and where they found differences.

However one thing of note is that these deal with the problems with establishing two different states in the context of two sides at least willing to attempt to see an accord reached. For the last decade that will has basically disappeared and the issue in establishing two states is that there isn't the political will from both sides to attempt to find a solution and I haven't noticed any good books focusing on that as an issue because it's something I'm aware of just from general reading on the subject, keeping abreast of events, etc. In fact while there are a few books which go up to the early 2000's in terms of more general history like The Iron Wall by Avi Shlaim, I'm not sure if there are any that go into 2010+ area, unless there are new editions I haven't seen.

I'd also advise googling and reading at least the summary of the UN Goldstone report on Operation Protective edge, as well as flicking through the full document. It'll give you an idea of what the issues are with how both sides conduct war and the war crimes both sides are guilty of. For the oppression which happens in peace time, I'd recommend Palestine: Inside Out which looks at the daily oppression faced those in the occupied territories and allows you to empathise a good deal.

Edit: Also I remembered an old OP had a link to a post of book recommendations. Reading it I would also back the recommendations for Palestine Inside Out: An Everyday Occupation, Lords of the Land: The War Over Israel's Settlements in the Occupied Territories, 1967-2007 and A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East.

The Easy Rider posted:

For an in-depth debunking of the common claim that "Palestinians never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity", and that they walked away from an offer for a Palestinian state, Clayton E. Swisher's The Truth About Camp David is a good read, compiling a number of interviews with insiders in the negotiations.

Saree Makdisi's Palestine Inside Out: An Everyday Occupation is a good account of life in the West Bank for Palestinians under occupation, and helps explain why the occupation is creating militancy among the Palestinians. Despite the barbarity of military actions like the one currently devastating the Gaza Strip, the day-to-day oppression of the Palestinians is equally responsible for the state of the conflict.

For an account of the settlers, their historic and contemporary role in Israeli politics, and the effects they have on the West Bank, Zertal and Eldar's Lords of the Land: The War Over Israel's Settlements in the Occupied Territories, 1967-2007 is an extremely good account of the effects they have had on the conflict, their role in Israeli domestic politics, and so on.

For an account of the history of the conflict, there are two great books on the topic. The first, David Fromkin's A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East provides a history of European intervention in the region. While not super-useful for understanding the conflict in general, it provides some important background information as to how we arrived at this point that is fundamental to understanding some of the nuances of the conflict, and it reads a lot like the script for a Coen Brothers dark (dark, dark) comedy. The second, Avi Schlaim's The Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World provides information that is absolutely essential to understanding the conflict. If you are going to read only a single book on the topic, it should be this one. An updated edition is coming out in October, though, so you might want to get your copy from the library in the meantime. If you're interested in some information disputing the "Where was the Palestinians FLAG?!?" bullshit that crops up from time-to-time, you may be interested in George Antonius' 1939 book The Arab Awakening: The Story of the Arab National Movement, which provides an account of Arab nationalism that predates Israel's foundation.

Norman Finkelstein has written a number of really good books on the topic, but This Time We Went Too Far: Truth and Consequences of the Gaza Invasion might be of particular interest; it compiles information from a number of sources on the topic, most importantly the UN-commissioned Goldstone Report.

I've seen the anti-Palestinian camp casually dismiss Robert Fisk, but Pity the Nation: The Abduction of Lebanon was an absolutely incredible account of the invasion of Lebanon in my opinion, and it debunks a number of common myths surrounding the attack.

This is ignoring some of the more "classic" texts on the subject, from Chomsky and Said in particular, but it's a good starting point for anyone looking to have a solid grasp of what's happening.

EDIT: I didn't include him because Sushi in Yiddish already mentioned his work, but for those of you who are unfamiliar with Joe Sacco, his 'graphic journalism' is incredible stuff. Topical to Israel/Palestine are Palestine and Footnotes from Gaza, both of which are incredible reads and landmarks in comics journalism.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 30, 2016

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

team overhead smash posted:

However one thing of note is that these deal with the problems with establishing two different states in the context of two sides at least willing to attempt to see an accord reached. For the last decade that will has basically disappeared and the issue in establishing two states is that there isn't the political will from both sides to attempt to find a solution and I haven't noticed any good books focusing on that as an issue because it's something I'm aware of just from general reading on the subject, keeping abreast of events, etc. In fact while there are a few books which go up to the early 2000's in terms of more general history like The Iron Wall by Avi Shlaim, I'm not sure if there are any that go into 2010+ area, unless there are new editions I haven't seen.

This is probably *the* book for a better understanding of the issues that the requesting poster brought up. A lot of the other recommendations are pretty peripheral.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

The Insect Court posted:

I'm not going to disagree with this, reading stuff from the Israeli New Historians is a good way to understand the twisted perspective of many Israelis/radical zionists. However New Historians still present an incredibly biased view of the conflict's history, since they rely almost exclusively on Israeli sources for building their arguments (which many of them will acknowledge).

The Question of Palestine is definitely good, but obviously isn't up to date.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I'm not going to disagree with this, reading stuff from the Israeli New Historians is a good way to understand the twisted perspective of many Israelis/radical zionists. However New Historians still present an incredibly biased view of the conflict's history, since they rely almost exclusively on Israeli sources for building their arguments (which many of them will acknowledge).

The Question of Palestine is definitely good, but obviously isn't up to date.

I think it's a requirement that if you're going to suggest Morris to anyone you have to recommend The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem, 1947—1949 first which is to be read and then immediately followed up by Finkelstein's Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict so that they know exactly how many massive grains of salt to take Morris's conclusions and arguements with in future.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

You very well know the idea of Palestinian nationalism is extremely controversial among Arabs/Muslims in Israel, and many groups such as the Druze would largely virulently disagree with you on this.

Druze are a tiny minority, the majority of Druze in Israel consider themselves to be Syrian, we're talking about less than 5% of the Israeli-Arab population here.

The fact is that poll after poll shows that "Israeli-arabs" of Palestinian descendent consider themselves to be ethnically palestinian. It's not extremely controversial under any possible definition of either 'extremely' or 'controversial', they themselves consider themselves to be Palestinians and they are considered to be palestinians by the palestinians themselves and the entire arab world

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Following up on the book recommendations...two of my younger brothers are going to Israel on Birthright in a couple months. I'd like to recommend them a book to read beforehand, to help them keep an open mind. To be realistic, though, they're not going to read a book. Any good documentaries or videos that I could recommend instead?

For context, a few years ago I went on Birthright (with my then-fiancee) and we had a negative experience overall (and not just for political reasons, our tour guide was kind of a dick and the logistics were bungled in every way--running out of food at dinner before everyone was served, for example) . Anyways, we were already somewhat educated about the situation, had been reading this thread for years, etc. We were also able to visit the West Bank afterward and stay with a Palestinian family while getting toured around, which was an amazing experience (can't recommend Green Olive Tours enough). My brothers won't have time to do this so I want to give them some background going in, on the chance that they don't get a complete picture (and I'm told that some tour guides handle the conflict fairly well, although I can tell you that some do not).

While I'm here I'll tell a story from our trip. On the last day, we did this awful exercise where the trip leader would make a statement and would have to stand in one of four places for Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree, or Strongly Disagree. Statements like "Israel is an import part of my Jewish identity", "The deepest expression of Jewishness is to make aliyah", "the IDF makes me feel safe anywhere in the world", "I have an obligation to marry Jewish", etc. Once everyone got into positions, someone from each group had to defend their choice.

For pretty much all of these, my wife and I were alone in the Strongly Disagree camp. So every time it was one of us having to argue the unpopular opinion. Luckily the tour guide was staying out of it but everyone else had eaten up the message so it devolved into an us vs. everyone else debate. The "best" part was on the issue of marrying Jewish. Everyone else was in Agree or Strongly Agree, and they seemed to think it was the most incredible thing that we didn't place any importance on marring Jewish but were doing it anyway. We did convince one guy to move from Agree to Disagree, though, so I guess we explained ourselves well enough.

I should mention that friends of ours have described very different experiences with Birthright, but I'm not sure which experience is more common.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SurgicalOntologist posted:

While I'm here I'll tell a story from our trip. On the last day, we did this awful exercise where the trip leader would make a statement and would have to stand in one of four places for Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree, or Strongly Disagree. Statements like "Israel is an import part of my Jewish identity", "The deepest expression of Jewishness is to make aliyah", "the IDF makes me feel safe anywhere in the world", "I have an obligation to marry Jewish", etc. Once everyone got into positions, someone from each group had to defend their choice.

Urgh. Using peer pressure and cowardice to entice everyone to side with the most jingoistic options.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ultramega posted:

Israel's abuses of people outside it's borders are well documented. Consider the downing of a libyan civilian airliner during i think 1973-74 during its military adventures with egypt. Or the arresting and transfer of virtually the entire male population of Sidon and surrounding palestinian refugee camps/villages during the 1982 lebanon invasion. Consider also it's brutal treatment of both lebanese civilians and palestinians under israeli custody, before and during the push into west beirut. Consider also Operation Wrath of God, although targetted killings of suspected terrorists in a country you have no right to in isn't torture and humiliation per se but certainly illegal as gently caress.

That's not what's being disputed. He was saying that while Russia, Saudi Arabia, etc... are horrific human rights abusers, they keep it within their borders which is demonstrably false.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Druze are a tiny minority, the majority of Druze in Israel consider themselves to be Syrian, we're talking about less than 5% of the Israeli-Arab population here.

The fact is that poll after poll shows that "Israeli-arabs" of Palestinian descendent consider themselves to be ethnically palestinian. It's not extremely controversial under any possible definition of either 'extremely' or 'controversial', they themselves consider themselves to be Palestinians and they are considered to be palestinians by the palestinians themselves and the entire arab world

And just like that you handwave away the Bedouin who don't fall under this classification.

I should mention that friends of ours have described very different experiences with Birthright, but I'm not sure which experience is more common.

While loyalty to Israel is an important objective for Birthright, it's massively, massively secondary to the intermarriage part. This basically applies to every other Jewish organization like Hillel, etc...

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 30, 2016

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Following up on the book recommendations...two of my younger brothers are going to Israel on Birthright in a couple months. I'd like to recommend them a book to read beforehand, to help them keep an open mind. To be realistic, though, they're not going to read a book. Any good documentaries or videos that I could recommend instead?

I don't know about documentaries or videos because books rule and are awesome so that's what I care about, but if you do end up going with a book I'd maybe recommend Palestine: Inside Out which I mentioned aboce because it doesn't involve a lot of the topics which might get them instantly on the defensive (ethnic cleansing, killing thousands of Palestinian civilians) and refuse to engage further, but it highlights the plight of the occupied Palestinians in a way which would make it almost impossible for someone with a concious to wholly buy into the narrative that Israel pushes.

I quoted parts of it a few months ago in the thread:

quote:

Nowhere is the vulnerability of Palestinian inner spaces more visible than in the city of Hebron, the largest city in the southern West Bank, and, other than East Jerusalem, the only one with an active Jewish settler presence inside city limits. The Jewish settlers of Hebron have made life virtually impossible for the city's Palestinian population, again, the settlers are heavily defended by a formidable Israeli army and police presence (10 soldiers for every settler), whereas the city's palestinians have no defenses and no real legal protection from settler intrusions.

This reality was vividly captured on a widely circulated amateur video (available on youtube), which was entirely shot in the doorway of a Palestinian home that opens onto a street leading to the Jewish settlement of Tel Rumeida, inside Hebron. No Palestinian can drive here, only Jewish traffic is permitted. the Palestinian family was obliged to build a wire case to protect the home's doors and windows. The video shows a Palestinian mother anxiously waiting for the return of her kids from school. She is standing outside her doorway, but inside the protective cage. The settler boys playing in the street start pelting her with stones, but the cage protects her; the stone bounce and ricochet off the wire. Israeli soldiers stationed here call out to the boys to stop. They don't. One soldier reaches out to one of the boys, pulling him back. the other boys move to either side of the soldier, continuing the stoning. The soldier reaches out to another boy. Again, the other kids move apart, and continue lazily chucking stones. There's no way for one man to control all these kids. A settler woman approaches the cage door and pushes it open. The Palestinian woman starts screaming at her, telling her to back away. The soldier looks on helplessly. The Jewish woman withdraws, but puts her face up to the case and, cupping her hands, moans out softly, with her Hebrew-accented Arabic, "Shaghmouta... Shaghmouta." (Sharmouta: "whore" in Arabic). The Palestinian woman has to face this kind of abuse every time she steps outside the door of her home.

quote:

The violent harassment of Palestinians intrudes directly into their homes. Maryam al-Natsheh, a mother of six children, recalls an incident when Israelis from a nearby settlement crept into her house in Hebron:

(Note from overhead smash: Rather than type out what's in the text, I've just quoted directly from the report she's quoting from, so there are some minor discrepancies)

I was at home cooking when I heard a noise and the sound of the door being pushed open. I went to see who pushed the door open. My sons, nine-year-old Falah and eight-year-old Ahmad, went ahead of me. As soon as I left the kitchen I saw an settler who was tall and fat and had a gray beard. He had a rifl e and held a knife in one hand and a large stone in the other. He ran up the stairs, and more than ten other settlers, who were also older men, ran up behind him.

When the first settler saw me, he threw the stone he was holding in his hand at me. He was about one meter away from me. I ran back into the room, shouting “Settlers! Settlers!” I hoped that the neighbors would hear me and come to help. I thought that all my children were inside the room. When I discovered that my sons Ahmad and Falah were not there, I thought maybe they were with my sister in the kitchen. I opened a crack in the door, looked, and saw two settlers beating my son Falah. One was lifting him by the ears and the other was punching him. I couldn’t take it. I thought that the settlers would kill my son. I decided to defend him myself. I pushed my four younger children to the back of the room. Then I took a pair of scissors and decided to attack the settlers, who had already gone down the stairs toward the door. Apparently, the last settler saw me come out of the room and fired a shot. I later found the shell near the door. My husband, who had been sleeping in another room, woke up and saw the settlers beating Falah. He went down the steps toward the room, calling out that the settlers are attacking us.

When I got to the room, Falah was lying on the floor unconscious. I looked for my other son, Ahmad, and found him standing inside the room, with his back bleeding. He must have been shot by the settlers, I thought, but as I held him and cleaned the blood from his shirt, I realized that he had been stabbed, not shot. I brought his father’s galabiya [long white garment] and wrapped him with it. The garment was soon covered with blood. I thought that my son was about to die, and I cried. I couldn’t move.

Mayam's sons survived the attack, though Ahmad had to be hospitalised for a few days. Such house intrusions are all to common among the Palestinian homes near the Jewish settlements in Hebron, which can grow only by intimidating Palestinians into leaving.

It is not unusual for such attacks to end in the appropriation of another house, the displacement of another Palestinian family. Tareq al-Shartabi describes the time he was sitting at home with his brother Muhammad, when members of the nearby Avraham Avinu settlement (in the old city of Hebron) began an attack on their house:

My brother, Muhammad, ran away, but I insisted on staying inside and protecting the house from the settlers. The settlers made an opening in the fence. Fifty or sixty of them besieged the house and banged on the doors. I looked through the crack in the door and saw there were about ten or fifteen soldiers with them. The settlers broke in with iron bars and other tools. I went and hid. The settlers knew I was inside. I heard them say that I was a terrorist and should be killed. they tried to break into the room, but didn't succeed. The settlers kept trying to break in until about 11:30 A.M. on Saturday. They were inside the house the whole time.

At around noon, I called my friend Jalal Jibrin. I told him I was trapped inside my house and asked him to notify my family so that they could call the Red Cross and TIPH [Temporary International Presence in Hebron]. My two sisters, three brothers and neighbour, Marzuk Muhtaseb, arrived with some soldiers shortly after. Only then did I open the door and come out. There were still about ten settlers inside. Police and Civil Administration officers came and took pictures of the damage done to my house. an officer told me that I had to leave the house according to a military order. I demanded that he show me an official order. He said he would, but I haven't seen him since. The settlers destroyed everything, chairs, other furniture, three television sets, two tape recorders, a washing machine, kitchenware, a stove, closets, clothes, books, windows, pictures. Everything was broken or destroyed.

The Israeli settlers returned the following day and broke all the windows and doors in the house, when the family was not home. Tareq and his family have since been unable to return - and the settlers are there to this day.

quote:

[A] couple of dozen yards farther along, the Jewish settlement could be seen looming overhead, in formerly Palestinian homes.

There was an iron grate, or in certain places a kind of chicken-wire netting, covering the main street of the souk down which we were proceeding. All along the overhead grate or netting - and in several different places weighing so headily that the netting sagged under the load - there were piles and piles of stinking garbage. I could make out plastic bags and bottles, banana peels, kitchen waste, and soiled baby diapers, dripping onto the street below.

"That's the garbage that the Jews throw from their kitchen windows, down onto the Arabas below. At first it was much worse, because there was no grate or netting, so you could be walking along and suddenly find disgusting garbage cascading down onto your head." "Garbage!" said an old man walking down the street with a disgusted look on his face; "i wish garbage was all they threw down. You should see the things they throw: diapers, human and animal feces." The man continued on his way, shaking his head. "Let's get going," said Abu Karim, "you don't want to be standing there when they throw something out."

The garbage, the harassment, the curfews, the closures, all had taken their toll on the old City of Hebron. It was a dead place now. In the Old City and Bab al-Zawiyah alone, ebtween 2,000 and 2,500 small businesses and shops had been wiped out. Thousands of workers have been laid off (the unemployment rate is some 70 percent), and tens of millions of dollars lost - a major blow to the already shaky Palestinian economy. If the 500 shops that used to dot al-Casbah Street (the one with the garbage netting), only 15 survive today, their owners adamantly returning to work every day that is physically possible."

Herr Shitlord
May 2, 2008

I feel so much butter!
Looks like I've got a good bit of reading to do. Thanks a ton for the resources, y'all.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

team overhead smash posted:

Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict by Norman Finkelstein a suggested previously is a pro-buy that deals with a lot of false claims and beliefs you may come across if you start reading into the conflict and comprehensively dismantles them, often showing how the source material of other authors making these claims was distorted, fabricated or plagiarised. I also feel for him because his personal beliefs and integrity really killed his academic career. It'll also give you a decent overview of some key points conflict just because the process of tearing apart all the fictional beliefs will involve showing what the actual realistic approach is

I changed my mind. Khalidi's work has some glaringly obvious biases and flaws, as well as some real head scratchers(gay rights are an insidious western plot, etc.) but he's a serious scholar. Recommending Norman Finkelstein to someone who wants to obtain a basic grounding in the history of the I/P conflict is like telling someone interested in the history of Reconstruction to just watch Birth of a Nation a few times. It's difficult to believe that even a fanatic thinks it's a sensible, unbiased look at the issue. If you're going to recommend a polemic in an attempt to proselytize, you should have the honesty to say that's what you're doing.

But I should be encouraged the recommendations weren't just electronic intifada and Institute for Historical Review links. I suppose that's an improvement, of sorts.

Nevvy Z posted:

This guy is hilarious. Jews have been victimized in the past therefore anything terrible they do now is justified because in the long historical run jews will have been treated worse.

Is it possible this is as stupid as it appears to be? Do you understand that the title of the book is not an endorsement of the idea that Jews were simply 'righteous victims' in 1947? Your posts have all been useless one-liners which indicate a more than usually complete ignorance of the subject, so I worry it is.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

I think Roadmap to Apartheid is probably one of the best documentaries on the I/P conflict (with a huge focus on the apartheid 'comparison' and the injustices Palestinians have to live with in daily life both in areas under Israeli control and Israel itself) if you really want something other than a book.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 31, 2016

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Recommending Norman Finkelstein to someone who wants to obtain a basic grounding in the history of the I/P conflict is like telling someone interested in the history of Reconstruction to just watch Birth of a Nation a few times. It's difficult to believe that even a fanatic thinks it's a sensible, unbiased look at the issue.

:cawg:

I don't think you actually read this thread.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

The Insect Court posted:

I changed my mind. Khalidi's work has some glaringly obvious biases and flaws, as well as some real head scratchers(gay rights are an insidious western plot, etc.) but he's a serious scholar. Recommending Norman Finkelstein to someone who wants to obtain a basic grounding in the history of the I/P conflict is like telling someone interested in the history of Reconstruction to just watch Birth of a Nation a few times. It's difficult to believe that even a fanatic thinks it's a sensible, unbiased look at the issue. If you're going to recommend a polemic in an attempt to proselytize, you should have the honesty to say that's what you're doing.

But I should be encouraged the recommendations weren't just electronic intifada and Institute for Historical Review links. I suppose that's an improvement, of sorts.

Is it possible this is as stupid as it appears to be? Do you understand that the title of the book is not an endorsement of the idea that Jews were simply 'righteous victims' in 1947? Your posts have all been useless one-liners which indicate a more than usually complete ignorance of the subject, so I worry it is.

What's does birth of a nation and norman finkelstein's book have in common?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Nevvy Z posted:

I refuse to believe that someone would write a book saying this, it's something a child would think up.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

The Insect Court posted:

Yo man usually I'm down with whatever brand of soft trolling you're unleashing upon this thread but layoff Norm, Image and Reality is a perfectly valid source on the conflict and in fact from my experience it's actually very balanced.

Norm is largely misunderstood and is presented as this sort of antisemitic monster but it's very far from the truth, I think he did some wrong and stupid poo poo like meeting with Hezbollah which really hurt his reputation but his scholarly work is usually impeccable. Image and Reality is a fantastic review of several famous pro-zionist works and a deconstruction of the perspectives they provide, I don't really see what's wrong with the book.

Did you actually read it? Or anything Norman actually wrote? I think you have the wrong impression of the guy. I thought you'd like him if only for him turning his back on the BDS movement.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

The Insect Court posted:

Do you have any actual substance to your complaint that you would like to share with the rest of us, referencing a paticular Finkelstein book and explaining what your issues are?

If not then stop whining just because a book got recommended which gives no shits about calling zionist writers out on their distortions.

Image and Reality is not just a great book to recommend to someone looking to learn about some core details of the conflict (as it covers critical events and ideas) but is also a great book to stand as a example of a critical analysis and scholarly takedown of the work of others, seeing as the format of the book is to get to the truth by showing how some Zionist writers have distorted events massively. Hell, I know that at least one book you recommended earlier in this thread a few months ago (Six Day War) is shown to be a fairly large load of poo poo in the updated versions of Image and Reality.

quote:

Morris is fairly famous as the guy who found a load of new heinous stuff in the Israeli archives like explicit orders to go around murdering arabs in the 1948 war and whose response was "Well sure, this is bad, but did Israel really plan ethnic cleansing or did the ethnic cleansing just happen by accident? Whatever, doesn't really matter, because it was a necessary thing to do".

drilldo squirt posted:

I refuse to believe that someone would write a book saying this, it's something a child would think up.

As far as I know Benny Morris's stance is not quite that. Instead he is a war crime apologist who admits that Israel commits war crimes but defends these and says it is justified to do so, in fact going further and saying they should have committed more and fully ethnically cleansed the Palestinians in 1948 so there would be no problem with them in the future. He justifies this because the Arabs are bad and hate Israel so these war crimes are all self-defence (Despite them being unjustifiable war crimes, internationally agreed as having no reason to ever be carried out).

It's pretty easy to see why TIC likes him.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 31, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Tic doesn't like that other groups of people live in Israel and blames them for the injustices his people carry out to get them to leave, shocking.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://web.archive.org/web/20080607060238/http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=380984

quote:

A Jewish state would not have come into being without the uprooting of 700,000 Palestinians. Therefore it was necessary to uproot them. There was no choice but to expel that population. It was necessary to cleanse the hinterland and cleanse the border areas and cleanse the main roads. It was necessary to cleanse the villages from which our convoys and our settlements were fired on.

quote:

That is correct. Even the great American democracy could not have been created without the annihilation of the Indians. There are cases in which the overall, final good justifies harsh and cruel acts that are committed in the course of history.
lol his account is probably extremely neutral and unbiased

like this could literally be a nazi discussing lebensraum in eastern europe

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
How much work would it be to replace all the Palestinians with Jews and Jewish state with third Reich in that book? I can see many good things coming from doing that.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

XMNN posted:

Basically the one thing Benny Morris ever did that was worthwhile was being the first one to get into previously classified Israeli archives just after they allowed access to a load of new documents and being the first to find massive amounts of new info into how Israel acted in the war of independence and the Nakhba. The documents put Israel in a very bad light and destroyed what had been the narrative of the time of Palestinians fleeing through no provocation from Israel.

He then went and ruined it by proceeding to try and whitewash and justify all the new stuff he'd found and create a narrative that was as close as possible to the one he'd destroyed.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Israel sprays herbicide on Gaza farmland because seriously do you even have to loving ask.

Because dates and olives can become deadly weapons in the wrong hands.

So, now so they finally think it was worth it to have shot all those rockets?

At what point will the thing happen that makes all the rockets and tunnels and stuff worth it?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

XMNN posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080607060238/http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=380984

The fact is, we did displace and in many cases annihilate the indigenous population of North America in order to create the USA. It puts us in a rather weak position to condemn Israel for doing something similar.

At the end of the day we justify the existence of the United States because it is a fait accompli. We won and it's ours.

The Arabs lost their wars with Israel. It sucks for them but that's how all the land in the world was divided up, in all times and places, going back to prehistory.

The Jews just have better reasons for doing it than most people.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm not sure the existence of the USA makes the genocide of the Native Americans particularly morally defensible.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

No they don't.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

So, now so they finally think it was worth it to have shot all those rockets?

At what point will the thing happen that makes all the rockets and tunnels and stuff worth it?

I don't see how ruining crops for farmers hurts the people that shot the rockets. Can you explain? Personally, I don't see any reason to do that if your goal is to stop rocket attacks.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 31, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Pro-Israeli mindset: "Might makes right, evil acts are good as long as we come out on top, crimes that were committed in the past mean that there is a moral duty to commit crimes in the present."

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't see how ruining crops for farmers hurts the people that shot the rockets. Can you explain? Personal I don't see any reason to do that if your goal is to stop rocket attacks.

All Palestinians are the same, they have a hivemind. That's why it is always justified and necessary to murder some Palestinian -- there's no such thing as an innocent Palestinian, a child playing on the beach is just a part of the same collective organism that shoots rockets that go nowhere.

drilldo squirt posted:

No they don't.

Yes, they do. They are God's chosen people, and God has tasked them with eradicating every other nation on Earth, sparing not the women, not the children, not the cattle. (A cow that belongs to a Palestinian is also part of the Palestinian hivemind.)

As you know, it is always valid and acceptable to murder people in the name of God. Massacring an entire town's population because they are not the same religion as you is a Just and Worthy thing to do.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 31, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes, they do. They are God's chosen people, and God has tasked them with eradicating every other nation on Earth, sparing not the women, not the children, not the cattle. (A cow that belongs to a Palestinian is also part of the Palestinian hivemind.)

As you know, it is always valid and acceptable to murder people in the name of God. Massacring an entire town's population because they are not the same religion as you is a Just and Worthy thing to do.

I'm pretty sure Israel doesn't plan on eradicating every other nation on earth, friend.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Bibi maybe, but that dude is a nutter.

edit: I just realized that I was talking about Netanyahu.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 31, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bibi is relatively sane, he's just a very dedicated liar.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I know, it was a joke, but I''m still pissed he and the republicans had the gall to pull that congressional speech fiasco.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 31, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't see how ruining crops for farmers hurts the people that shot the rockets. Can you explain? Personally, I don't see any reason to do that if your goal is to stop rocket attacks.

The guys firing rockets are Gazan Palestinians. Gaza is crowded, polluted, and has very little farmable land. Blockading the Gazans and destroying their farms significantly increases the odds that they all starve to death, and 'all', naturally, includes the ones firing rockets.

There is a certain brutal, insane logic to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

hakimashou posted:

The fact is, we did displace and in many cases annihilate the indigenous population of North America in order to create the USA. It puts us in a rather weak position to condemn Israel for doing something similar.

At the end of the day we justify the existence of the United States because it is a fait accompli. We won and it's ours.

The Arabs lost their wars with Israel. It sucks for them but that's how all the land in the world was divided up, in all times and places, going back to prehistory.

Israel has a worse reason. The basic rationale is the same "I'm here, weaker people are there and I want their land" but America was doing it in the 19th century when there were no international laws against ethnically cleansing and there were no basic human rights enshrined for all people.

Besides, even if they were the same that would hardly make either case right - it would just highlight how unacceptable the USA's actions were but how they managed to get away with them at the time.