Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I believe CinC has the cheapest 1/2400 scale warship miniatures around. Capital ships run $9-10, Cruisers around $6-8 and DDs are around $1.50 a pop.

They don't really have any product images up for their ships which is unfortunate but I've bought a lot of 6mm cold war soviet armor from them and the quality is good- not GHQ good, but GHQ is more expensive.

I will say this, GHQ ships quickly and they give you an actual tracking number, which may very well be worth the cost. CinC sends no shipping notices or confirmations and your stuff shows up on a random date between 2 and 3 business weeks after ordering. I guess that's the magic of sending money to niche grognard businesses with websites from the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks, but what companies do the acronyms CinC and GHQ stand for?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Springfield Fatts posted:

Thanks, but what companies do the acronyms CinC and GHQ stand for?

CinC and GHQ.

I don't know if they're acronyms for something but they're used as their trade names on the web and in stores. Maybe GHQ or CinC miniatures, if you're having trouble finding them online?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

spectralent posted:

CinC and GHQ.

I don't know if they're acronyms for something but they're used as their trade names on the web and in stores. Maybe GHQ or CinC miniatures, if you're having trouble finding them online?

CinC usually stands for Commander in Chief, but in this case that doesn't matter.
http://www.pfc-cinc.com/front_page.html

And I assume the G in GHQ stands for something, but their website doesn't say.
http://www.ghqmodels.com/

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think GHQ is WWI British General Headquarters, no?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

WT maps update: Measuring out Poland's lake puts it at something like a foot wide and two foot across and I can't find a decent orientation for it so that's out.

Jungle and Eastern Europe look practical; eastern europe even basically has a pick of orientations. Eastern Europe's river isn't as massive as I'd thought it'd be in-scale, even.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Further update: Going by the original square=foot scale I was trying to use there's no way these maps would take 15mm vehicles. Maybe a thing to try out with 6mm figs but I'm going to have to approximate things if I want 15mm to work out :sigh:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Just make a bigger table!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Join usssss

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

Join usssss

Nobody would play in 6mm. :(

What rulesets do you use for 6mm anyway?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

spectralent posted:

Nobody would play in 6mm. :(

What rulesets do you use for 6mm anyway?

Most 28mm games scale down quite nicely if you just measure in cm instead of inches. Gods. Own. Scale.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Most 28mm games scale down quite nicely if you just measure in cm instead of inches. Gods. Own. Scale.

Alack I usually play a 15mm wargame. Though maybe the same applies?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Obligatory 6mm pics:

Our planned British club force for CoC is getting out of hand. I now have some 8 tanks at home, some which might become Free French tanks, and suddenly there are BEF, Commandos, Home Guards, French Foreign Legionnaires turning up in the club chat. There might even be paratroopers involved. It's madness.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

spectralent posted:

Alack I usually play a 15mm wargame. Though maybe the same applies?

Just cut distances/range in half

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

This, if you're specifically looking to make things fit in a smaller area. Alternatively, you could use regular 15mm basing and measurement with 6mm mans and get extra guys on your stands to give more "realistic" volume of troops and ranges. A lot of games don't really give historical weapons the ranges they actually were employed at, particularly 19th century forward.

lilljonas posted:

Obligatory 6mm pics:

:swoon:

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 30, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I've heard "inches to cm" for 6mm FoW, then something something movement. As for basing, use small base or cut it in half when you need an even smaller base. Currently, I'm looking for software so I could make a blue print to get bases laser-cut out of plywood.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

JcDent posted:

I've heard "inches to cm" for 6mm FoW, then something something movement. As for basing, use small base or cut it in half when you need an even smaller base. Currently, I'm looking for software so I could make a blue print to get bases laser-cut out of plywood.

You can get 1" bases off litko for ~$0.12 per, what I do is mount my 6mm armor to them with magnets so I can bounce between systems that have different basing requirements.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
We play Legends of the Old West all the time with 1/72 minis on normal 25mm circle bases and the default 28mm ranges and it works fine. I'm sure you could keep the basing requirements the same for 6mm FoW and do the inches to CM conversion for ranges.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Polikarpov posted:

You can get 1" bases off litko for ~$0.12 per, what I do is mount my 6mm armor to them with magnets so I can bounce between systems that have different basing requirements.

That's shipping them across the pond and all of Europe, I think it would be cheaper to go with an in country option.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

That's shipping them across the pond and all of Europe, I think it would be cheaper to go with an in country option.

Yeah, I used to buy my bases from Litko, but the last orders have made me change my mind. The shipping was about the same amount as the bases themselves, and then for some reason customs seems to pick up my Litko orders every single time, and slaps me with outrageous fees (10 bucks duty, and some 20-30 extra for "handling", wtf?).

So yeah, love their products, but not worth it across the pond.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a Napoleonic era ship game? I've looked at Sails of Glory, but the models aren't up to my meticulous buddy's standards. Any other suggestions for rulesets/models?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Trafalgar from GW Historical if you can find a copy is pretty good. Fast play and fun.
Kiss Me Hardy from Too Fat Lardies is also pretty accessible

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I have a mint copy of Trafalgar for sale, UK based, if you are interested.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Trafalgar is the only game in the genre that I've tried, and I liked it. There was an article in Wargames Illustrated just after the release with a bunch of house rules that fixed some of the problematic rules.

We went with Langton miniatures, a bit more expensive than GHQ but better looking, if I remember correctly. But Trafalgar works great with 3-5 ships per side, so the price difference doesn't mean that much.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 31, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Thundercloud posted:

I have a mint copy of Trafalgar for sale, UK based, if you are interested.

I wish I'd bought a copy when Forgeworld stand at Salute were fire selling all the Warhammer Historicals for ridiculous cheap prices.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

secretly a baby posted:

Any recommendations for a Napoleonic era ship game? I've looked at Sails of Glory, but the models aren't up to my meticulous buddy's standards. Any other suggestions for rulesets/models?

No reason you can't use Langston minis for Sails of Glory, but I would definitely say Trafalgar is more for :spergin: SoG does get bogged down if you're playing with a whole fleet instead of a handful of ships on either side.

There was a new ruleset recently, one of the Osprey ones? No real info on it though.

Of course, I really enjoy SoG, and although I own some Langston ships, I have not completed them because I'm a terrible wargamer.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I've just realised, but putting the 6pdrs in Flames into transport is a really good deal, isn't it? It's five points, and in return you can deploy in trucks, hide out of the way, then dash out, dump your guns via crash action, and pummel something in the flank with 12 AT 11 shots. Even if you're dumping them in the middle of nowhere, they're, what, 150 points for the whole platoon? And they're going to utterly destroy any group of vehicles they can get flank shots in on. And ideally you can dump them into cover.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Can they the first turn they're dropped?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Can they the first turn they're dropped?

I'm fairly sure; Crash Action, page 49. Don't count as moving so long as they move no further than their drop-off (except to turn).

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

spectralent posted:

I'm fairly sure; Crash Action, page 49. Don't count as moving so long as they move no further than their drop-off (except to turn).

Sorry, that doesn't work. Read p. 47 "Dismounting Transports", you can't move in a transport then dismount in FoW. Except via Stormtroopers or Horse Artillery, though the latter is extremely rare.

6 pdrs are IMO a good buy in many situations. They are a big problem for your opponent when held in ambush and the later versions that shoot HE can be a great anchor for a defensive position.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Conan the Librarian posted:

Sorry, that doesn't work. Read p. 47 "Dismounting Transports", you can't move in a transport then dismount in FoW. Except via Stormtroopers or Horse Artillery, though the latter is extremely rare.

6 pdrs are IMO a good buy in many situations. They are a big problem for your opponent when held in ambush and the later versions that shoot HE can be a great anchor for a defensive position.

Huh; when do you trigger Crash Action then? You're correct, on reading, but if a transport team can't move anyway, why the exception? Or would teams who dismount ordinarily have counted as moving even if they did dismount adjacent?

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

spectralent posted:

Huh; when do you trigger Crash Action then? You're correct, on reading, but if a transport team can't move anyway, why the exception? Or would teams who dismount ordinarily have counted as moving even if they did dismount adjacent?

Exactly what you describe, dismounting counts as movement ordinarily. Crash Action provides the ability to shoot at full RoF if all you're doing is dropping from being limbered and rotating in place.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Conan the Librarian posted:

Exactly what you describe, dismounting counts as movement ordinarily. Crash Action provides the ability to shoot at full RoF if all you're doing is dropping from being limbered and rotating in place.

:negative:

Ah well, thanks for the advice.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice on little sailing ships. Didn't hook any of my friends, maybe in a couple of years :sigh:

Edit: But good news, we're starting 15mm CoC campaigns soon.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, I used to buy my bases from Litko, but the last orders have made me change my mind. The shipping was about the same amount as the bases themselves, and then for some reason customs seems to pick up my Litko orders every single time, and slaps me with outrageous fees (10 bucks duty, and some 20-30 extra for "handling", wtf?).

So yeah, love their products, but not worth it across the pond.

They charge 11-15 bux to ship one state over. I dunno why their costs are so high

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

They charge 11-15 bux to ship one state over. I dunno why their costs are so high

All shipping from the US got a unilateral price hike a few years ago (still same cost for me to send things to the US). I used to buy stuff from the US all the time, but now it's almost never worth it. Add the weird custom fees, and it's just a headache.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Someone needs to sit all Americans down and tell them that if they sign up to the Ebay international customs program thingy then people outside the USA just plain aren't going to bother bidding.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

lilljonas posted:

All shipping from the US got a unilateral price hike a few years ago (still same cost for me to send things to the US). I used to buy stuff from the US all the time, but now it's almost never worth it. Add the weird custom fees, and it's just a headache.

Weird. I buy stuff from UK and some from Poland and have no issues here in the USA other than stuff from mainland Europe can take forever, like two or three weeks after ship date. We don't really have customs things here, never had to pay extra. Warlord Games charges five bux to ship to America

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

Weird. I buy stuff from UK and some from Poland and have no issues here in the USA other than stuff from mainland Europe can take forever, like two or three weeks after ship date. We don't really have customs things here, never had to pay extra. Warlord Games charges five bux to ship to America

Exactly, I sell stuff regularly to the US, and shipping from Sweden there's a flat rate for all international mail: doesn't matter if it's Denmark, US or New Zealand, I pay the same. I can send 2 kilos of stuff to the US for less than it costs me to order a single book from there, WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Arquinsiel posted:

Someone needs to sit all Americans down and tell them that if they sign up to the Ebay international customs program thingy then people outside the USA just plain aren't going to bother bidding.

You're loving stupid if you offer to ship anything out of country on eBay. Too many scammers being shielded by eBay's buyer protection to make it worth it.