Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cat Mattress posted:

Here's a totally accurate representation of how Doom actually looked on the real hardware it was meant to be played on. That's real Doom right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Flannelette posted:

There might already be a thing like this but why isn't there a filter in one of the doom or build engine ports that emulates an analogue display that they were made for like 80/90's console emulators do? Right now you can either have very sharp pixels or mush them with a standard filter but you can't make them look like a 640/480 crt monitor so dithered effects never quite look right.

Because those filters emulate a mediocre 70s or horrible 80s TV run over rf or composite.

Doom never looked like that because your VGA monitor was connected over a very low signal noise connection to a nice and pretty flat if not entirely flat CRT display. Quite simply it looked sharper than it does on modern lcds, due to lack of scaling issues!

Doom does not have dithering effects that rely on smudgy pixel rendering either, dunno where you got that idea?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Flannelette posted:

There might already be a thing like this but why isn't there a filter in one of the doom or build engine ports that emulates an analogue display that they were made for like 80/90's console emulators do? Right now you can either have very sharp pixels or mush them with a standard filter but you can't make them look like a 640/480 crt monitor so dithered effects never quite look right.

Not quite what you're looking for but there is this Reshade setting to make it look like you're monitor is running through VHS or something.

http://reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/1258-vhs-shader

I have no idea how to use it though. Your post reminded me of a work in progress mod on the ZDoom Projects page.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49483

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

fishmech posted:

Because those filters emulate a mediocre 70s or horrible 80s TV run over rf or composite.

Doom never looked like that because your VGA monitor was connected over a very low signal noise connection to a nice and pretty flat if not entirely flat CRT display. Quite simply it looked sharper than it does on modern lcds, due to lack of scaling issues!

Doom does not have dithering effects that rely on smudgy pixel rendering either, dunno where you got that idea?

Chocolate Doom's virtual 320×200 looks plenty sharp at 1600×1200 on my IPS monitor. I doubt a CRT could do better.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

That said, never bet on Duke because why the gently caress would you ever trust a self-centered misogynistic idiot?

The games are fun tho

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SilentW posted:

I'm super down! What Mods are you trying to run?

DoomRL Arsenal is my main jam and it's probably never going to worth with Zandronum due to its love of the very latest DECORATE features. We can do something else, though.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Woolie Wool posted:

Super8 is getting a new lighting model, which appears from the screenshots to restore the overbrights missing from the current builds, which means that aside from the colors lighting will be vanilla accurate again. At the very least, the screenshot of start.bsp is much more brightly lit than the same scene in super8 v238, and the HUD indicates that it's using the stock palette so it's not cheating.

Looks purty.

Also this week (? maybe) AD will get a patch for playing it on software-renderer engines.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Arivia posted:

Nah, there's 3 at least playable Build games in the form of Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood. There's more Build games than that, like Redneck Rampage and TekWar.

That said, never bet on Duke because why the gently caress would you ever trust a self-centered misogynistic idiot?

You come into Duke's house, on his 20th 3D birthday, and you cast these absurd allegations. For one, Duke is very smart. He finds lots of keycards in hard to reach areas and has solved puzzles involving numerous buttons. Duke loves the women, and the women love Duke, he saves the women from the evil aliens. And he throws money only at women who are into that sort of thing. I can't even fathom what went through your mind when you said these horrific slanderous views. Look inward for the truth, you must find the Duke within yourself to bet on. Always bet on Duke.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Heavy Metal posted:

You come into Duke's house, on his 20th 3D birthday, and you cast these absurd allegations. For one, Duke is very smart. He finds lots of keycards in hard to reach areas and has solved puzzles involving numerous buttons. Duke loves the women, and the women love Duke, he saves the women from the evil aliens. And he throws money only at women who are into that sort of thing. I can't even fathom what went through your mind when you said these horrific slanderous views. Look inward for the truth, you must find the Duke within yourself to bet on. Always bet on Duke.

I didn't know Trump played Duke.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

site posted:

I didn't know Trump played Duke.

I don't get this reference, but I did hear Jon St John turned Trump down which is a fun bit of news. I was thinking more of a deep Eastern philosophy on Duke vibe. Or maybe Yoda. Bet on Duke you will.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Woolie Wool posted:

Chocolate Doom's virtual 320×200 looks plenty sharp at 1600×1200 on my IPS monitor.
As you know, Bob, 1600x1200 is actually the smallest resolution where Chocolate Doom's rendering is perfectly flawless, because Doom's intended 5:6 pixel ratio requires each game-screen pixel to be 5 monitor pixels wide (so 320x5 = 1600) and 6 pixels tall (200*6 = 1200)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Linguica posted:

As you know, Bob, 1600x1200 is actually the smallest resolution where Chocolate Doom's rendering is perfectly flawless, because Doom's intended 5:6 pixel ratio requires each game-screen pixel to be 5 monitor pixels wide (so 320x5 = 1600) and 6 pixels tall (200*6 = 1200)

Each of those pixels represents one bet, all of which are placed on Duke at any given time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Doomier than Doom

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

fishmech posted:

It wasn't like RF or comp but on my old monitor the pixels definitely bled into each other and I always thought that was how it was supposed to look?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Analog monitors didn't have "pixels" per se, they had individual phosphor dots (or lines, for a Trinitron type display) illuminated by an electron beam shining through a grille. You could liken each phosphor dot to a LCD screen sub-element but this is an poor comparison since each logical pixel onscreen generally did not precisely map to exactly 3 phosphors. Instead each pixel was illuminated by whichever phosphor dots just happened to be on that little bit of the screen. This was further complicated by the width of the electron beam itself causing blooming, phosphors actually stimulating their neighbors for a slight secondary glow, etc.

Once I went through the math to determine what sort of resolution on a LCD display you would need to do a passable job of recreating the display of a cheapo mid-90s 15" CRT by simulating all the phosphor dots, and it was on the order of like... 10000x7500 or something.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ok and the poor focusing of the electron gun (by magnets right?) is what made our monitor all soft looking? I did get a better monitor but that was after 3d games so I've only seen 2.5 games on that old monitor and LCD ones (and the monochrome monitor we had before that, orange doom is the best doom).

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I played Doom for the very first time on green monochrome monitor, and no sound. It was quite an experience, I wish I could emulate this environment somehow. DOSBox SVN has some custom shaders, wonder if any could do the trick.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

Nope!

Good:
Duke 3D
Blood

Mediocre:
Shadow Warrior (good art, but bad game design and unbelievably racist)
Witchaven
Powerslave PC

Bad:
Redneck Rampage

loving terrible:
TekWar
NAM
World War II GI
Extreme PaintBrawl
Plunder and Pillage
Quest for al-Qaeda/Quest for Hussein (speaking of unbelievably racist)...

Shadow Warrior's Wanton Destruction deserves a mention. Probably the strongest level-set outside of Duke's shareware episode.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Narcissus1916 posted:

Shadow Warrior's Wanton Destruction deserves a mention. Probably the strongest level-set outside of Duke's shareware episode.

I remember not really enjoying Wanton Destruction. I thought that the level design was lazy and poorly done in places (that plane level was neat, but it was really frustrating) , and the enemy replacements were really annoying. It's been a while since I've played it, though.

Also, WoolieWool, when you say that Shadow Warrior had bad game design, what exactly do you mean? I agree with you on your other points about it, but I'm curious what parts of it were poorly designed.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 30, 2016

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Retroarch includes Dosbox and has a bunch of advanced CRT shaders, like screen distortion and color bleed. You can edit the shaders for a more subtle look. I vaguely remember not being able to get Dosbox to work right within Retroarch, but that was two or thee years ago.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Max Wilco posted:

Also, WoolieWool, when you say that Shadow Warrior had bad game design, what exactly do you mean? I agree with you on your other points about it, but I'm curious what parts of it were poorly designed.

Totally unsolicited opinion, but it's hard as balls and not in a good way. Enemies can mostly kill you in a hot second, a lot of it is hitscan damage or running around a corner into a couple of suicide bomb guys who rush you before you know what is happening, and your best weapons are all explosives that ideally you want to be popping out of cover, firing, and popping back into cover, which gives the game something of the feel of Gears of War at Mach 10. There's also some really dumb puzzles.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

'Design' is a subjective opinion - the game gives you more than enough explosive and high power weaponry to saturate a room with firepower before anything can kill you (let's not pretend Blood's cultists aren't 10x worse than the Ninjas in the hitscan department) You die quickly but enemies have a tiny pool of health themselves. I thought the game itself is better than Duke (better weapons and more interesting enemies) but suffered from having very little modding capability and a relatively constricted tileset compared to Duke's so whilst it's good at making industrial facilities and nature areas, Duke's texture set has a greater variety of sprites and textures that can be used for anything. it's a shame because SW allows for some crazy stuff when building levels but it was much harder to use than Duke.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Flannelette posted:

It wasn't like RF or comp but on my old monitor the pixels definitely bled into each other and I always thought that was how it was supposed to look?

This typically means your old monitor had deteriorated over time, if it was noticeable enough that you expected everything to be blurred even at a low resolution. Now of course if you were using very high resolution, then the limitations of VGA signaling could result in very annoying amounts of blur.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah I don't see anything "bad" about Shadow Warrior's design at all, it's just so different than what we were used to at the time. Most FPSes in the 90's (or even today) were balanced around the lower-tier weapons like SMGs, pistols, shotguns, etc., but Shadow Warrior placed emphasis on high explosives. You get a ton of super-powerful weapons and go up against super-powerful enemies, who are usually more common than the lower-tier thugs. You also get a fairly "unbalanced" grenade launcher that can bounce shots around corners and over walls, and you're kind of expected to use it to cheat. I remember a mini-boss that I killed by firing the grenade launcher up over the top of a wall until it died.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

laserghost posted:

I played Doom for the very first time on green monochrome monitor, and no sound. It was quite an experience, I wish I could emulate this environment somehow. DOSBox SVN has some custom shaders, wonder if any could do the trick.

This reminded me of an awesome video wherein we discover that Quake can be played on an oscilloscope.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Linguica posted:

More proof that "1080p" is dumb and 16:10 monitors are superior. :smug:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rappaport posted:

This reminded me of an awesome video wherein we discover that Quake can be played on an oscilloscope.

I have two analog scopes with X-Y mode so I should compile this and give it a try.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person that prefers Shadow Warrior to Blood. :smith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

closeted republican posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person that prefers Shadow Warrior to Blood. :smith:

Don't worry, Caleb can fix you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's you; you're the one who wants-a some Wang.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

At least no one tries to defend Redneck Rampage. Well, the soundtrack was really good.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Hello, new friend! Let us frolic in the meadow with our superior opinions and leave the rabble to enjoy their bad games. :cool:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Blood is also way too goddamn difficult. Even on the lowest difficulty it regularly beat me senseless.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I liked both games

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Blood's zombie enemies are annoying, not good when they're the most used enemies in the game. Ammo is few and far between for anything that makes short work of the zombies, so you're better off saving it for more powerful enemies. Also Blood's voice acting is loving silly.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

At least Shadow Warrior got a proper remake (and an upcoming sequel with coop), Blood got... Blood 2.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Narcissus1916 posted:

Blood is also way too goddamn difficult. Even on the lowest difficulty it regularly beat me senseless.

This is a bug. The enemy damage inverts the difficulty levels on a reload or something.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any way to fix that? Other than just going for the 4th difficulty and reload so it becomes the... 2nd? I always played in normal mode wich gets untouched from what I know, still, really hosed up.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Woolie Wool posted:

Linguica posted:

1600x1200 is 4:3 though, although a 1920x1200 monitor could do the same thing with some black bars at the sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Nition posted:

1600x1200 is 4:3 though, although a 1920x1200 monitor could do the same thing with some black bars at the sides.
[/quote]

1920x1200 is 16:10.