Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

That means there are going to be more hiring announcements with better hiring criteria, right? RIGHT? :suicide:

:laffo:

I think that they really just don't give a gently caress. Management likes to play it fast and loose in a job where we're supposed to be ready for and able to handle the poo poo hitting the fan at any moment. When we barely have enough people to open all of our sectors I like to throw out the "What are we going to do if someone sets Chicago Center on fire again?" to get the FLM to vacate the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I play it fast and loose too; I can totally be a member of the Federal Aviation Administration!

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Pope Mobile posted:

I play it fast and loose too; I can totally be a member of the Federal Aviation Administration!

Anyone can. The question is...do you really want to?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:what:: "Sunwing zero two five, say normal speed in the climb."
:v:: "Normal speed in the climb, Sunwing zero two five."
:what:: :stonklol:

I got the tape, too. It was too good not to save.

The next sector tried to get her to do it again, but the other member of the flight crew didn't let her talk on the radio, after that.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

MrYenko posted:

The next sector tried to get her to do it again, but the other member of the flight crew didn't let her talk on the radio, after that.

:allears: There's always one. I remember there being quite a few incorrect readbacks/callbacks/etc during flight school over at DAB. There was a pretty funny moment during my internship at ZSE while plugged in with a controller.
"Southwest twenty four thirty seven..." (don't remember the flight number)
*5 second pass*
"Yeeeeesssssss?" Sounded like this guy from the simpsons.
D-side immediately busted up laughing. Really was the pilot's response that made it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

Much like anyone that has to deal with Sunwing in any way, I'm very sorry for you. Somehow it doesn't surprise me that their pilots are as incompetent as every other aspect of their operation.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
I had a pilot call me out for broadcasting on guard the other day. The thing was, he was broadcasting on my frequency, 121.15. I kindly informed him of this and didn't hear anything from him again :v:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zochness posted:

I had a pilot call me out for broadcasting on guard the other day. The thing was, he was broadcasting on my frequency, 121.15. I kindly informed him of this and didn't hear anything from him again :v:

That's badass

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Zochness posted:

I had a CRJ9 pilot angrily demand to know what he was following one day since he was getting bounced around badly.
"You're following a Pilatus 12 miles ahead."
"...roger".

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Caution.... Wake Turbulence?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I dream of one day calling overtaking Piaggio traffic to a Citation.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

MrYenko posted:

I dream of one day calling overtaking Piaggio traffic to a Citation.

You could have been the woman a few months ago who scolded me to slow down due to my 60 knot overtake on the 737 ahead of me. I was in a Beech 99 (pretty much, older King air)

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
In news of the weird, Delta just released a study regarding what they think of ATC privatization

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Our government has become so dysfunctional that NATCA supports the privatization bill that was introduced today. What a loving world.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There's no way that'll happen, right?

Right?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LOL if you think Congress can pass a healthy, clean bill that actually results in positive change in the ATC organization, in safety, or in efficiency. What we'll actually get is a bill written in its entirety by Lockheed-Martin's best lawyers.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't think anything is going to actually happen, I just think it's pretty sad that our union thinks privatization is in our best interests because of how hosed up the government is.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

LOL if you think Congress can pass a healthy, clean bill that actually results in positive change in the ATC organization, in safety, or in efficiency. What we'll actually get is a bill written in its entirety by Lockheed-Martin's best lawyers.

Ladies and gentleman, he has arrived. Welcome to the club man. I will literally die DIE laughing if the same poo poo that happened to FSS happens to ATC.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Ladies and gentleman, he has arrived. Welcome to the club man. I will literally die DIE laughing if the same poo poo that happened to FSS happens to ATC.

:cheers:

The number of times I've had airplanes trying to airfile come back and file with me recently is ridiculous. gently caress LockMart.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

MrYenko posted:

Let me help you with that sound file:

https://clyp.it/jhqi533m

The gap at :05 seconds was my favorite part, as you hear our collective brains explode.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I was going to post it, but got to the soundcloud registration page and :effort:.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

TangoFox posted:

Let me help you with that sound file:

https://clyp.it/jhqi533m

The gap at :05 seconds was my favorite part, as you hear our collective brains explode.

Oh this is great. A+ would listen again.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
It sounds to me like she thought she was being instructed to resume normal speed. I can't hear anything in her tone of voice to indicate that she was joking around.

I guess anything's possible but I don't think it was intentional.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
I agree, but it's much better to imagine that she was playing with us.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like natca is getting a lot of negative feedback from their support of the privatization bill :lol:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well a lot of people live under a rock, so the latest announcement of NATCA supporting this bill was likely a BIG SURPRISE to a bunch of people. Even though NATCA has been stating this position for years.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Well a lot of people live under a rock, so the latest announcement of NATCA supporting this bill was likely a BIG SURPRISE to a bunch of people. Even though NATCA has been stating this position for years.

I've heard a decent amount of "the last shutdown/furlough proved that they have to fund us so..." which is just double :lol: .

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
I'm a union rep for our facility. Paul has been pushing this position for at least 2 years, and gave a speech last year at the Aero Club that basically highlights his intentions. I sent it out to my BUE's then, and everyone ignored me - now everyone seems really interested in it.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Whats with YYZ approach control responding with "roger" after every readback?

"Goon 1234 turn right heading 330 and maintain 4'000"
"Heading 330 down to 4,000 goon1234"
"roger"

After literally every single readback.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
There's a NATCA dinner on Tuesday and Rinaldi is supposed to be there. I wonder what he's going to say about this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

"roger"

Vocal tic?

Every controller has something they do that everyone else looks at them sideways for. I tend to say good afternoon to airplanes despite it being 6am, for instance.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Every controller has something they do that everyone else looks at them sideways for. I tend to say good afternoon to airplanes despite it being 6am, for instance.

My morning/afternoon/evening isn't even remotely consistent.

On the controller rogering everything, I'll often say thanks or something after a readback because there have been a lot of times when I don't say anything and the pilot wants me to verify it as if silence was not what they expected to get.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've read that it is a requirement for Canadian ATC to have the last word with a "roger."

Couldn't find a reference though. I don't know what Canada's ATC order is or where to find it.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

I tend to say good afternoon to airplanes despite it being 6am, for instance.

Always "morning". My rationale- it's morning on half of the planet. Just round up.

The same argument works for "afternoon/evening" if you prefer.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

"roger"

I did this my first time in training, and I've seen multiple trainees throughout the years do it. They get it smacked out of their head (literal in my case) and stop normally. As for what TFK said about Canadian controllers? I have no idea how true that is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've never flown IFR in Canada, but for VFR flights we always acknowledged instructions with the last three letters of our registration, never "roger." I've never flown in the US but I assume it's the same, no?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yes, but what they're saying is that Canadian controllers always close the loop again with "Roger." So even if you, as a pilot, acknowledge something they said, they STILL come back and say "Roger."

There is a joke that you can get them into an infinite loop by rogering their roger (sounds dirty).

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

The Ferret King posted:

Yes, but what they're saying is that Canadian controllers always close the loop again with "Roger." So even if you, as a pilot, acknowledge something they said, they STILL come back and say "Roger."

There is a joke that you can get them into an infinite loop by rogering their roger (sounds dirty).

I'm gonna try this next week when we fly into Vancouver BC :devil:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

I think that's called docking.

WHY THE ACTUAL gently caress DO I KNOW THAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Do they, though (according to regulation)? It must be an IFR-only thing if it's not a controller-specific thing, because I've never heard it even after reading back a hold short. Now I'm curious...