Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

I'm guessing I should go in head first without reading any guides right?

But don't loving restart. Ever. DON'T DO IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Disgusting Coward posted:

- Trenchcoat
- Braces
- Collection [that he can't resist showing you]
- No friends
- Can't fight for beans
- Gives you his lunch money when whupped

Dude is basically an awkward teenager, possibly on the spectrum. plz be nice 2 him.
His friends are all dead skeletons he found hanging around the dungeon, too.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
sheesh, champion difficulty doesnt gently caress around.

do the enemies get smarter with their targeting? even without a mark, the fuckers really, really, REALLY hated my abomination. focused him with each of their attacks every round, for two encounters. he survived without having to make any deathblow checks but they did keep knocking him back to deaths door which was aggravating.

now that im getting all my dudes tier 4 gear, they're holding up better, but that was one hell of a welcoming committee.

e: also the don quixote idea is really good

pink flag
May 16, 2009
Wait, there's a class that's going to be for kickstarter backers only? That's kinda lovely. I hope it's at least available as DLC at some point.

gently caress the hag. Brought an Arbalest along specifically to rush her down with a marking focused party (Arb+Occ+HM+Crusader) and guess who gets thrown in the pot first. I think bringing the Occultist over a GH or BH was actually my biggest mistake, but I love crit wyrd heals.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pink flag posted:

Wait, there's a class that's going to be for kickstarter backers only? That's kinda lovely. I hope it's at least available as DLC at some point.

gently caress the hag. Brought an Arbalest along specifically to rush her down with a marking focused party (Arb+Occ+HM+Crusader) and guess who gets thrown in the pot first. I think bringing the Occultist over a GH or BH was actually my biggest mistake, but I love crit wyrd heals.

pretty sure it was confirmed a while back that the "kickstarter only" is just a reskin of an existing character. Musketeer or whatever is going to probably be Crusader or Highwayman reskin. Merchant will be for everyone.

It's good to hear they are shoring up mid-to-late game grinding in the future. I was enthused that they used a pic of the Leper and thought maybe some buffs were coming but nothing was said in that update log.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

pretty sure it was confirmed a while back that the "kickstarter only" is just a reskin of an existing character. Musketeer or whatever is going to probably be Crusader or Highwayman reskin. Merchant will be for everyone.

It's good to hear they are shoring up mid-to-late game grinding in the future. I was enthused that they used a pic of the Leper and thought maybe some buffs were coming but nothing was said in that update log.

He has unique dialogue that's already in the files, at the very least. (The musketeer, that is.)

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Started Champion Swine God thinking 'I've heard about this pro arbalest mark-clearing strat, this'll be cake'. At the door to the boss, it turns out I never actually trained Flare on my level 6, maxed-out-every-other-skill-and-gear arbalest.

Went in anyway, thinking 'how bad could it be? I managed before' Goodbye, so very very much gold and both my sun cloaks :smithicide:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

immortal flow posted:

Started Champion Swine God thinking 'I've heard about this pro arbalest mark-clearing strat, this'll be cake'. At the door to the boss, it turns out I never actually trained Flare on my level 6, maxed-out-every-other-skill-and-gear arbalest.

Went in anyway, thinking 'how bad could it be? I managed before' Goodbye, so very very much gold and both my sun cloaks :smithicide:

If I had wiped every time I planned out my lineup perfectly and forgot to reskill when hitting the boss or forgot I hadn't bought the ability altogether... Almost had something similar happen to me just a few hours ago. Hellion/Hound Master/Vestal/Man-at-Arms, going up against Champion Prophet. Had the Very Rare trinket equipped on MaA, ready to have him and dog pal tank rubble all day and whoops, turns out Defender was on my OTHER Man-at-Arms. Fortunately, I made it out with two characters on Death's Door and a Blight ticking away on my Vestal, praise Iron Swan and the steadfast hound.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Managed to take out the Brigand 8 Pounder, the Necromancer Apprentice, and the Swine Prince back-to-back-to-back, though the Swine Prince almost got me when I tried to blight Wilbur. I knew better than to attack Wilbur while the Prince was active, but saw that Blight was gonna take the big guy before he could act so I thought I was safe. Nope. Least I survived with all my dudes intact.

Haven't even stepped into the Cove yet. Every time I so much as glance in its general direction it's got nothing but veteran quests.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Do you think modding support is robust enough to do this, because I love this darkest quixote idea

From what I've been able to tell, most everything in DD is uncompressed, so it should be possible to create entirely new custom classes. Unless there's something compressed that deals with characters, the only real hurdle would be the some eight text documents you'd have to modify, getting the art to look consistent with the rest of the game, figuring out which program they used to animate the sprites, and how that works. I've seen people trying to modify preexisting classes (beyond simple palette swaps), and the biggest trouble seems to be with the idle animations. Everything else is comparatively easy, so long as you follow the format. I imagine so long as you drop the character file in the hero folder, and have the stagecoach able to search for that hero, then it should pull it up no problem.
Of course, there won't be any voice work, and you'll have to write your own stress/crit/virtue/afflicted barks.

Not that I've tested this, of course, I'm just going off of observation.
Though, I will say, I've yet to find where the game keeps your current roster of characters saved, so that might also pose an issue, depending on how that's compiled.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Pretty sure the Musketeer is a re-skinned Arbalest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game feels so drat good when it goes well. I took a bunch of brand new adventurers to the Weald to get some deeds--an Occultist, Bounty Hunter, Grave Robber, and Highwayman--and they were loving untouchable. Constant dodges, surprising amount of crits, beat the poo poo out of the Collector (even when he summoned two Highwaymen and a Man at Arms), and brought back 26 deeds.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
had the collector show up in one of my champion runs. glad i had a helion; iron swan really ruins his day. an abomination raking away his summons didn't hurt either.

also had the shambler show up when I was doing a dark run in mid tier difficulty. I'd didn't really think he could show up without a shrine; had one of his noodles start getting too tough to deal with, but I had a MaA with the accuracy boost skill to counter its dodges.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
loving Hook Pigs. 3 crits in a row, two to bring my Hellion to Death's Door and one to bring my Vestal to Death's Door. Meanwhile none of my dudes can hit the broad side of a barn. Blargh.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Harrow posted:

This game feels so drat good when it goes well. I took a bunch of brand new adventurers to the Weald to get some deeds--an Occultist, Bounty Hunter, Grave Robber, and Highwayman--and they were loving untouchable. Constant dodges, surprising amount of crits, beat the poo poo out of the Collector (even when he summoned two Highwaymen and a Man at Arms), and brought back 26 deeds.
Along those same lines, I had a very, very good Weald series in pitch dark early in this playthrough, just three consecutive runs of absolute domination and riches:

Occultist/Grave Robber/Houndmaster/Bounty Hunter mostly. The ability to hit most or all positions and not give a poo poo about being shuffled around, plus good Scouting (which 3/4 of those can provide) and Speed (they're all pretty fast classes) just chumps things before they can try anything cute. The Hag got two rounds, missed putting my Bounty Hunter in the cauldron, got somebody else in the second time, missed Tenderize on the whole group twice, and then died horribly. Granted it's just the first tier Hag but it was nice not even being remotely concerned I might lose anyone.

Of course part of why it probably went so well were the Medium/Long runs before them that scrounged up so many Deeds; without those I wouldn't have had the Blacksmith upgraded enough. Although I do also credit going for trinkets that grant +ACC early in the game; even that low-end helmet that just gives +5 ACC is godlike when you're stuck at level 1/2 skills, and it's worth going after +ACC gear of any sort if it's offered even if it's in a dungeon you're not focusing on a dungeon that isn't the Weald.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

also had the shambler show up when I was doing a dark run in mid tier difficulty. I'd didn't really think he could show up without a shrine; had one of his noodles start getting too tough to deal with, but I had a MaA with the accuracy boost skill to counter its dodges.
Yeah they can appear on their own in the dark, even in beginner tier dungeons. They don't have that much health at that level (75 or so?), but your team can easily get hosed over if they can't focus it down in a few rounds.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I've lost 6 level 6 heroes (and 4 boss trophies) in the last four missions (all retreat failures because of CONSTANT misses, crits, Collector fights, and immediate death blows) aaand... I think I'm satisfied with my Darkest Dungeon experience for good. It was awesome fun learning the mechanics, beautiful game, very clever composition, very tightly designed, but... no reason to regrind through all the levels over and over and over just to give that 16 pounder another shot. The game doesn't really have anything else to offer. For what it is, I think DD is a brilliant one-and-done kinda game but there isn't really any fun replayability and it's just not fun rebuilding your lost empire after you master the game mechanics. I am very excited for this studio to thrive and bring more interesting games to the table, though.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 30, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it's not riches unless you bring in 20k at the very minimum

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Is that 20k before or after chucking all your curio purifying items.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Tiler Kiwi posted:

This is probably my best haul. Plus whatever you get for a Veteran Long dungeon.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It would've been at least that much, but I needed the Deeds more than I needed the money. Way too early in this run to have the luxury of chucking heirlooms.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anal Surgery posted:

I've lost 6 level 6 heroes (and 4 boss trophies) in the last four missions (all retreat failures because of CONSTANT misses, crits, Collector fights, and immediate death blows) aaand... I think I'm satisfied with my Darkest Dungeon experience for good. It was awesome fun learning the mechanics, beautiful game, very clever composition, very tightly designed, but... no reason to regrind through all the levels over and over and over just to give that 16 pounder another shot. The game doesn't really have anything else to offer. For what it is, I think DD is a brilliant one-and-done kinda game but there isn't really any fun replayability and it's just not fun rebuilding your lost empire after you master the game mechanics. I am very excited for this studio to thrive and bring more interesting games to the table, though.

Dazed. Reeling. About to break.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The developers said they were looking into ways to ease the mid/late grinding, but what exactly that means and how they plan to address it I don't know. Some things are easier to fix than others, and I don't know if they even consider losing lv6 people and having to train from scratch to be a problem (though it certainly is).

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Now I have more money than I know what to do with. For the first time ever.

I guess I'll be well-provisioned when I go grinding for more town materials...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've hit a wall and I'm unable to beat stage 3 Darkest Dungeon. It's insanely long, the white cells teleport you away, I have no idea where to find the locus beacon, and I'm rapidly running out of money.

It's frustrating to go from rolling champion dungeons then constantly dying up the monsters butthole.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hi I'm a giant are you trying to do this level 5 dungeon? Well here have a 60 damage crit on the first turn of the first fight lol :suicide:

Panfilo posted:

I've hit a wall and I'm unable to beat stage 3 Darkest Dungeon. It's insanely long, the white cells teleport you away, I have no idea where to find the locus beacon, and I'm rapidly running out of money.

It's frustrating to go from rolling champion dungeons then constantly dying up the monsters butthole.

One weird trick to beating the Darkest Dungeon that cysts don't want you to know. Templars hate it!

The mission is actually relatively short if you know where to go and don't get screwed by teleports, which you can do by not letting white cells ever live. Build a mark team that can gently caress up the cysts with camp buffs, go straight to the room marked on this map.

EDIT: A ghoul just threw 3 skulls at my plague doc. The last one crit, and she was put in death's door at 100 stress. She was at full HP and 0 stress before the fight :regd09:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 30, 2016

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

Just finally ran out of money and my entire roster stressed to poo poo for the second restart again. I got to about the lvl 3 dungeons again, but I must be picking poor group comps because it goes from easy to getting my face melted in a small amount of time

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Snak posted:

But don't loving restart. Ever. DON'T DO IT!

victrix posted:

:siren: Do not restart :siren:

Wafflecopper posted:

We need "never restart" with sirens and poo poo in the OP

victrix posted:

:siren: Unless you are playing some sort of weird self imposed Iron Man challenge, Do Not loving Restart :siren:

Level 1 blacksmith upgrades trivialize the newbie runs, much less having a party that actually has the skillset you want unlocked and upgraded.

I seriously do not understand why I keep reading people restarting the entire game every few pages. Do not do this.

The Hamlet is your character, not your party members

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 30, 2016

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
There is a weird thing where at the start, your dudes are leveling up, but you can't afford to level the guild and blacksmith and buy all the upgrades for a full roster. Level 4 dudes in a mid level dungeon do a much better job when they are fully upgraded, which is only feasible later in the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In order to restart the game, you must write a 5-paragraph essay (the lovely kind you did in junior-highif you are from the us) explaining why the gently caress you think it's a good idea to start over.

edit: ^what are you talking about? I have never had a level 4 dude, and my poo poo is almost completely upgraded.

edit2: What do you even get for restarting? What is your starting cash? Because it can't be worth having half the hamlet's buildings locked out and losing all your upgrades...

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 30, 2016

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

pink flag posted:

:( :hf: :(

I've jumped back into this game big time now that it's out, having not played it since a few builds ago, and the Hag (level 3) has given me the most problems by far. I experienced my first total party wipe with a Plague Doctor, Highwayman (RIP Dismas :( ), Man at Arms, and Abomination, I finally just barely eked out a victory with Arbalest, Plague Doctor, Occultist and Hellion. That pot is no joke at that level, all my best damage dealers kept getting dumped in there and my strategy of blight up the hag, mark her with the Occ, then blast away with the Arbalest went RIGHT out the window.

I was able to toss up bleeds a few times with the Hellion, which gradually whittled her down, and use the PD and Arbalest's heals to keep everyone alive, but I quickly started losing the healing battle and every single one of my characters ended up at Death's Door. I lost the Arbalest and Plague Doctor at the same time to a Meat Tenderizer, and was left desperately stabbing away with the Occultist's Sacrificial Stab and keeping the bleeds up with the Hellion.

I came a hair's breadth from losing my Kickstarter created class, Ymira the Hellion with locked in +3 CRT and +10% Damage.

Took one Meat Tenderizer hit at Death's Door, then dodged the second one like a champ and delivered a 26-HP killing blow.

That was probably the most nerve-wracking and intense fight I've seen yet, and made me wish I'd recorded it. I love this game so much.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
What are some worthwhile positive quirks to lock in? Dodge has been a huge lifesaver for me, so I've been locking anybody fortunate enough to gain Evasive over the course of their travels.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Bad Seafood posted:

What are some worthwhile positive quirks to lock in? Dodge has been a huge lifesaver for me, so I've been locking anybody fortunate enough to gain Evasive over the course of their travels.
Anything that gives Dodge/Speed/Accuracy/Crit, and anything that gives generic +Damage (and Eldritch might be the best specific type bonus to look out for). Hard Skinned or whatever gives +10% Protection which is actually pretty amazing, though I don't know how it stacks up against Dodge and Speed in terms of keeping you from taking damage. There's one that gives generic -10% Stress gain which may or may not be useful. Fated supposedly is also good but I don't know how trustworthy that is since nobody seems to have any hard numbers on exactly how Fated works, but it follows the same principles as +ACC. HP seems kind of lousy unless you're stacking it. +10% HP is like 4-6 which barely does anything. A lot of HP and Hard Skinned on a Man-at-Arms might be worth it though, not sure. Dodge is still going to be better than Prot because if you dodge an attack you also dodge all the secondary effects like Blight/Bleed and Stress.

There are some traits that are situational but might be worth using. The "+Speed/Dodge on first turn" one gives a huge boost that might be worthwhile since if your whole team goes first on the first turn there may not be a second turn. The Day/Night ones may also be useful depending on your playstyle. I presume the dungeon-specific ones are worthless come endgame unless the Darkest Dungeon counts as the others (and I don't think it does).

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm about 15 or 16 weeks in so far, still have Ranauld and Dismas, only one death (and he was a leper too so gently caress him) and have a few level 3s to start running veteran missions with on my first run, so I'd say I'm doing alright. In about ten more weeks I fully expect them all to be dead.

I can't get over how pretty this game is. I adore the art style.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Snak posted:

In order to restart the game, you must write a 5-paragraph essay (the lovely kind you did in junior-highif you are from the us) explaining why the gently caress you think it's a good idea to start over.

edit: ^what are you talking about? I have never had a level 4 dude, and my poo poo is almost completely upgraded.

edit2: What do you even get for restarting? What is your starting cash? Because it can't be worth having half the hamlet's buildings locked out and losing all your upgrades...

I didn't realise how important deeds are so I've got level 4/5 dudes and nothing better than level 2 upgrades. Even if I had I doubt I could keep my blacksmith upgraded to level par equipment.

Why does the blacksmith need so much paper? Is it what he uses to fuel the forge? I have so much money, please take my money, all I do with it is buy torches and shovels :(

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
In general what's the standard loadout for, say, a medium exploration? I'm not bringing in that much of a net profit and I think it's because I'm just provisioning way too much.

I'm normally taking two stacks of food, two shovels, two stacks of torches, 3-4 bandages and 3-4 antitoxins. Am I buying too much food or something?

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

In addition to what Nakar wrote...

Fated is said to give a re-roll of missed attacks 50% of the time. That turns a 90% chance to hit into 94.5%, and a 70% chance to hit into 80.5%. Fated is very very good.

I would argue that Steady (10% stress resistance) is good enough to lock in, especially for a class like Vestal that isn't trying to reach maximum firepower. Photomania (20% stress resistance in radiant light) is maybe better; even when I don't think about it, it does its job because I generally keep the light at radiant whenever my team starts to get into trouble.

Clotter (+15% bleed resistance) is top of the pile. Don't know about you guys, but all my loving deaths come from these clownish godawful retarded bleed effects affixed to my heroes at the same time they get on Death's Door. Clotter makes that stupid poo poo happen less. I consider it the best possible trait for a Man-at-Arms. The anti-blight trait, by comparison, isn't really notable due to how uncommon blight is.

The regional traits can be good (especially Explorer - love me some scouting) but I don't recommend doing very many lock-ins until you're gearing up to do the Darkest Dungeon, and guess what, by then you really don't want regional traits much at all.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

In general what's the standard loadout for, say, a medium exploration? I'm not bringing in that much of a net profit and I think it's because I'm just provisioning way too much.

I'm normally taking two stacks of food, two shovels, two stacks of torches, 3-4 bandages and 3-4 antitoxins. Am I buying too much food or something?

I like to take 18-20 food, limit my consumables to 2 or 3 of whatever i'll use on curios and a full stack of torches plus 4 or 6. You might want the extra food if you're not packing healing, but I've never felt like I needed two full stacks and I'm not exactly a master dungeoneer. I'd also pack an extra shovel or two because gently caress having to dig an obstacle by hand, and at worst you're out a relative pittance. They're used on curios in the Cove and somewhere else. Maybe everywhere else, I can't recall.

How ruthless do you get with chucking unused stuff towards the end of the mission to make room for money? I'm getting better about it and I've found it really improves profit margins. How dim do you let the light get?

Aw dang, sending newbie BH to the warrens, first curio is a pile of scrolls that removes his -1SPD trait. Time to get him splattered by a pigman.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm very anal about my light level. I'm still a bit new to it all so I'll let it get to maybe 50% before refilling it to the 80s.

Also a bit nervous about using food to heal since I almost had a party wipe to starvation and I generally don't leave without a healer but I'll maybe tweak that a little bit.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

pink flag posted:

gently caress the hag.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I've jumped back into this game big time now that it's out, having not played it since a few builds ago, and the Hag (level 3) has given me the most problems by far.

The team I swear up and down for when it comes to the Hag is two Hellions, a Highwayman, and any other healer. Probably best for an Occultist, what with the improved dodge and rank three Sac Stab, but either or, really. Both Hellions get their buffs to double wide enemies, Highwayman gets bonuses to ranged strikes, and you pray she targets your healer. Iron Swan, If It Bleeds, Pistol Shot/Open Vein (to tack on extra bleed just before it clears or just to capitalize on it if it accrues high enough) will easily drop her to half health no matter what level. You can burst her down in two to three rounds, no problem. Maybe five rounds if she picks up a Hellion, or you get really bad rolls. But then, all you need is for her to survive the post-pot attack, give her a big heal, and continue the beat down. If you're real unlucky, you'll lose someone, but only that one. Her pot can only do roughly nine percent maximum HP damage per character action, so you have roughly two full rounds and one action before they automatically get dumped at Death's Door. That's more than enough time to put a huge dent in the Hag's health, if not outright kill her.
In fact, since the Abomination dropped, you could pop him in to replace the rank two Hellion, transform, and then pound the Hag with Psych Up boosted Rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Snak posted:

A stready supply of crits really helps stress management on top of camping.

I've taken my Occultist on 3 runs in a row, and he's sitting at 34 stress right now.

When I was first starting to play this game, I was finishing runs without deaths, but everyone had like a minimum of 60 stress coming out of them.

As someone said before:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64