Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

Great acting great cinematography, great classical music selection.

But are there lots of lingering scenes of blood dripping in reverse in slow motion scored by a person randomly playing an oboe while another person slowly bows a saw?

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

EmmyOk posted:

It's not that Sandler films are low brow it’s that they're not funny.

Happy Gilmore was funny, and it's the only one I'd willingly watch today.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Happy Gilmore was funny, and it's the only one I'd willingly watch today.

Well sure there are decent Sandler films. I haven't seen any in a long time so I can't recall if I liked the older ones because I was younger or if they were genuinely good. The more recent era is the problematic one.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Sandler's early movies were genuinely funny. Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore are classics imo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

His early movies were the same poo poo as his later movies, but toned down enough that you couldn't really tell that he's not acting and that he's really like that.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
For some strange reason I remember liking Little Nicky despite the obvious Popeye's chicken plugs. Now I have to go back and watch the drat thing to understand why the hell I thought that.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

His older movies had some actual setup and payoff to the jokes, the new ones are "fat guy farts and it's funny because he's fat"

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Which Adam Sandler movie do you think is Hannibal's favorite, probably?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Punch-Drunk Love of course.

Maybe Reign Over Me, but I see him relating more to a love that makes you want to eat your partner's eyeballs.

I want to chew your face, and I want to scoop out your eyes and I want to eat them and chew them and suck on them.

Wiggy Marie fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 17, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Which Adam Sandler movie do you think is Hannibal's favorite, probably?

The Waterboy.

I mean sure he's backwoods, but he's trying to kill the rude, and Hannibal can respect that.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Funny People is the most pretentious.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Scripts? Scripts.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

I've looked through some of the first two seasons' shooting scripts and they're really interesting, because a fair bit of dialogue winds up getting cut out, changed, or moved to another script or even character in a later episode. For example from this season, apparently there was a big exchange between Bedelia and Antony Dimmond in that first episode that wound up getting cut and changed into a Will and Bedelia exchange.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The "between iron and silver" line from SotL was originally spoken to Alana, and we live in a world where there are two filmed versions of "You weaponized your uterus!"

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
poo poo, I just looked at the episode 4 script, and Will sailing off on his boat was meant to be intercut with Alana and Chilton standing in the basement of the BSHCI looking at a cage they'd had built for Hannibal! WHY DID THEY CUT THAT IT'S PERFECT

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

There is also a Jack scene that was cut from the ending of the last episode.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just binged this show and I loving loved it, but holy poo poo why can no one stay dead ever?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Just binged this show and I loving loved it, but holy poo poo why can no one stay dead ever?

Well now they can

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Steve Yun posted:

Well now they can

Or caaaaan theeyyyyyyy?

episode 12; Bedelia... "Hannibal has no intention of seeing me dead by any other hand than his own, and only then if he can eat me. He's in no position to eat me now." "If I'm to be Bluebeard's wife, I would've preferred to be the last."

Janice Poon:
Who's cooking legs now?
In my opinion, only Hannibal could make a roast such as that grand fruit and flower garnished kalua-roast leg smouldering on Bedelia’s table. So we know he survived. (After all, my cookbook isn’t out yet and the cooking method and presentation so obviously is something only our Hannibal would know how to execute. Right?)
A bit about roasting the leg:
Like Gideon's "Pinhead" roast leg, Bedelia's leg was made of pork loins stitched together over beef and lamb leg bones. I couldn't think of a special way to prepare it - Bryan had emphasized that he wanted it to be "the most beautiful thing I ever made" which is a pretty tall order. But happily, my brother came up with the idea of pit-roasting it, Kalua style. So I wrapped it in ti leaves, decorated it with tropical fruits and flowers and lay it on a bed of coals -- with ice to represent the Lake of Ice in Dante's Inferno. In the original script, Hannibal was going to slice it so I had to make it open at one end. But in the final script, Bedelia alone was seated for dinner so I had no need to worry about resets and it was a fairly stress-free shoot.

Fuller:
So what's eating Bedelia du Maurier?
Well, someone is. Either Hannibal survived his fall, or Hannibal's Uncle Robertus is taking up his nephew's old habits. If I'd known we were doing a fourth season it would've been great to reveal, like, David Bowie sitting on the other side of that table and have a ball with that. That was one of the things we were kicking around—if there was a fourth season—to reveal who was at that dinner table. The most obvious choice is Hannibal, but wouldn't it be fun to subvert that and make it somebody else?

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/36...t-dinner-scene/

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

In this show, it's much more fun for them to not stay that way.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Analyzing Hannibals combat skills: http://fightland.vice.com/blog/analyzing-dr-hannibal-lecters-combat-skills

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Paradox Personified posted:

Or caaaaan theeyyyyyyy?

I meant that the show's cancelled, so they're all dead forever

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Just a blip on the show, but those who hated the new direction will feel validated, and those who loved the new direction will too: NEIL MARSHALL'S 'HANNIBAL' DIRECTION FROM BRYAN FULLER: 'BE AS PRETENTIOUS AS YOU WANT'.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
For a guy who can't seem to keep a show on the air, Bryan Fuller is in high demand!

http://io9.com/the-mind-behind-hannibal-is-bringing-amazing-stories-ba-1738389801

quote:

The Mind Behind Hannibal is Bringing Amazing Stories Back

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

Home video coming Dec 8th

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gonna hold out for the series boxset

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I already bought the first two seasons, so no point in waiting on a boxset now.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Are they actually going to do that cookbook they made noise about?

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!

Jerusalem posted:

I already bought the first two seasons, so no point in waiting on a boxset now.

Same here, already own the first two seasons on blu-ray. But, if the box set brings enough extra goodies, drat if it won't be tempting. :unsmigghh:

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
So inbetween season 2 and 3 I became vegan.

Then I started season 3 and I was like 'HOLY poo poo this is just vegan propaganda'

And then apparently Brian Fuller is vegetarian.

So there's my hot take.

(it also disconcerts me that some people say the show makes them hungry when it is clearly trying to turn you OFF meat)

Also, yeah, best TV show I have ever seen.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

the_homemaster posted:

Then I started season 3 and I was like 'HOLY poo poo this is just vegan propaganda'

So there's my hot take.

(it also disconcerts me that some people say the show makes them hungry when it is clearly trying to turn you OFF meat)

Yeah I don't see that at all. If anything the show made me really curious about the taste of gourmet man flesh.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

the_homemaster posted:

So there's my hot take.

Yes, all those lavish, professional crafted dinner scenes was a clear attempt to turn people off meat

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

If by turned off meat you mean became interested in new cooking techniques (although probably not with human flesh) then yes, the show had that effect on me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't find the meat parts to be turn-offs for me as a vegetarian. Quite the contrary - I mean, it's probably a lot healthier than the crappy meat most people are fed, especially in the US. No hormones and MRSA here, buddy!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Since this is bumped, the lead of American Gods was just cast so apparently Bryan Fuller is actually going to get this show made after all.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/neil-gaimans-american-gods-tv-series-has-cast-its-shado-1755726202

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ricky Whittle is great on The 100, for those who don't watch it. Great show all in all.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

ufarn posted:

I don't find the meat parts to be turn-offs for me as a vegetarian. Quite the contrary - I mean, it's probably a lot healthier than the crappy meat most people are fed, especially in the US. No hormones and MRSA here, buddy!

Sorry, I meant vegetarians/vegans who do it for real reasons, not dumb gently caress health reasons. Also >implying human flesh is healthy.

You guys must be so blind to your own meat eating habits if the juxtaposition of man flesh and animal flesh whooshes right by your heads. There is literally a scene in season three where an arm is made into a wing, juxtaposed with Chiyoh preparing a fowl.

Quote time

quote:

Abel Gideon: Cannibalism was standard practice among our ancestors. The missing link is only missing because we ate him.
Hannibal Lecter: It's not cannibalism, Abel. It's only cannibalism if we are equals.

Talking about power over other beings. Veganism is about accepting animals as equals in terms of right to live. Hannibal eats people because he thinks he's better than them

quote:

Hannibal Lecter: Would you prefer I extend you the same kindness as the snails?
Abel Gideon: Eat me without my knowledge? No. I find knowledge to be much more powerful. Why do you think I'm allowing this?
Hannibal Lecter: Why do you think I'm allowing this?
Abel Gideon: 'Cause snails aren't the only creatures who prefer to eat with company... as long as that company is Will Graham. [tastes the escargot] I'm curious to know how you will feel when all this is happening to you.

Particular note that last sentence there, and then please apply it to your own meat eating.

quote:

Will Graham: God can't save any of us because it's... inelegant. Elegance is more important than suffering. That's his design.

Your elegant dinners are more important than the suffering of animals.

I could go on and on.

The stag and hunting motifs. Mason Verger referring to himself as the apex predator. Heck, Will has loving rescue dogs. The whole show is about animal welfare.

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 30, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You're making an ideological argument for why people should have a visceral reaction. It doesn't follow; the whole point is to show us how alluring and desirable it would be to do something morally wrong.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
That's what it appears, which is just another level of intelligence, as it actually wants you to reconsider the morally wrong act of eating animals.

And I never said anything about visceral, that imagery is only one part of the whole.

So which is it, wilful blindness or you are all psychopaths who want the chance to kill and eat a human?

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
When hunting season rolls around I will think of you as I kill and eat a deer.

• Locked thread