Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've been playing around with GMDX, and I just realized that the laser sight gives 100% accuracy like in vanilla. Am I supposed to have Biomod installed on top of GMDX? I mean, I don't mind being an absolute murder machine, but that was one change I'd gotten used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Here's an old post by the dev with their rational for the laser mod (also, v7 I think added it ruining cloak).

GMDX is great just for the physics modifications (barring some problems with crates slipping through the map during carrying and some precalculation junk like when throwing a destructible item [it'll still hit even if destroyed mid-air]) and the AI which affects gun battles if you want to play it like a shooter. Some of the stealth stuff is suspect, though; I'm playing on Realistic or whatever it is and detection/searching is too hyper, particularly if there's a body (even weird stuff like detection from far way through map triggers, scaring, or sound). I can't imagine playing it on the new Hardcore mode and having any fun as a stealth guy. Also, the guy has to standardize the changelog stuff instead of it being spread in multiple places across multiple versions, and the gore is pretty ridiculous. And, well, some other balance things especially involving the new physics system, but at least those are funny to figure out.

Butterfly Valley posted:

On my most recent playthrough this trooper's smart arse comments about gas grenades inspired a masochistic urge in me to take my policy of being non lethal to NSF and UNATCO grunts to the extreme of pacifying every single one of them in the Hell's Kitchen shootout before anyone died. It sucked but I managed it.
You can actually glitch that (in GMDX at least) by going around back and keeping to the right (get the guard by the Free Clinic first) so it doesn't trigger whatever starts it. Then you can use the mini-crossbow to knock them all out at range before it really triggers.

The bad part is that for whatever reason it doesn't trigger the flag, so I you'll get called out for skipping it (???), even if you talk to the UNATCO grunts afterwards (probably at the base iirc). You could probably leave one soul alive and rush him, but I'm not sure really how it sets so it might be specific.

I wish you could do that at the Lucky Money :( I ended up just clubbing/scaring off-map all the civilians and cops. That's still pacifism! ...right? :ohdear:

(I really need to catch up in these threads!)

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 29, 2016

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I will agree that GMDX's AI is a little too cognizant of the player when it comes to stealth. I brought this up on the Moddb forums and the creator just told me to go to a lower difficulty instead of, y'know, listening to me and a few dozen other comments. Primamoddas. :rolleyes:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Millennials grew up with Minecraft, they'll be fine.
You have no idea what a Millennial is.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Snake people

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

Anybody younger than you that makes you uncomfortable, obviously.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Well in further ironman attempts, three more attempts got me to the MJ12 facility. One run ended to a single pistol shot to the torso in the mole people tunnels when an area that I thought was cleared of NSF turned out to have one more (the section with the thermo armor crate). The next run ended quickly and stupidly to the guy with the flamethrower in the tunnels beneath castle clinton in battery park. I was having trouble figuring out where he was and then suddenly he was on top of me and I was on fire. I don't know how many medkits it takes to tank fire until it goes out, but it must be a lot as I went through at least half a dozen and didn't make it.

Third run got to the MJ12 Facility, including saving Paul in a fairly epic shootout. Between advanced environmental + ballistic vest + level 4 ballistic aug, JC was tough enough to get in a brawling shootout with 3 MiBs and about a dozen UNATCO soldiers. I placed LAMs and gas before the fight, which also helped (although the LAMs did not help the girl JC rescues from the drug dealer, as she tripped one on her way out of the building. Oops.). A gas grenade by the door to Paul's room was particularly helpful slowing down the MiBs.

The encounter with Anna in the subway was dealt with by turning on ballistic aug and running (I had saved thermocap but it turned out not to be necessary).

Unfortunately, upon waking up in the MJ12 facility, JC was killed by literally the first guard outside the cell. On post-death playtesting, it's actually a very dangerous encounter as the guard almost immediately begins a loop patrol that ends over at your cell so if you play conservatively (as I did) he will find you and if you're hiding by your cell assuming its safe its not. The correct thing to do is grab the baton immediately, and when his patrol goes around the corner to the exit from detention, break the crate to get the riot prod. Then hide under the desk, then riot prod him. And of course you have to watch out for the camera that watches the room as well.

The other mistake I made is that the game doesn't turn off your augs when you wind up in detention (which I mistakenly assumed it would), so I unintentionally left ballistics on (from running to surrender to Gunther) while I was waiting for Daedalus and therefore didn't have any energy. I think level 4 ballistics is pretty likely to save JC even if he gets caught by the guard and it kind of turns into a poo poo show charging him with the riot prod. The guard would need to land three pistol hits in the torso or head kill JC, which seems unlikely in the amount of time he will have before getting zapped.

The robot maintenance section (which is between detention and armory) is also fairly challenging, and I think I'll have to playtest it a bit before the next run. I think the correct thing to do is to sneak to the upper level and riot prod the sniper, but its a little dicey to do it and not be seen. The game suggestively gives you a scramble grenade, but I didn't have much success using it on the one active robot, who you can't get to without setting off the alarm anyway. I'm certainly interested in suggestions if there is a better strategy.

I'm hoping that I probably only need one more run after getting through the MJ12 facility as there won't be any more "no equipment" shenanigans and I'll have both ballistic and regen augs as well as the silencer for JC's sniper rifle, which should take a substantial amount of the pressure off in combat. I think the biggest risks will be greasels, karkians and explosives.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
As far as I know if you get caught on fire it's a death sentence. However if you had a fire extinguisher with you, you could have used that to put out the flames.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
This makes me want to try a permadeath run again.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

As far as I know if you get caught on fire it's a death sentence. However if you had a fire extinguisher with you, you could have used that to put out the flames.

In castle clinton, I'm pretty sure you can just jump in the water.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Big Sean posted:

The encounter with Anna in the subway...

The what?!

I don't think I've ever let Anna live any longer than she needs to in my playthroughs so this is news to me. I knew she showed up at the end of the escape from the UNATCO base but not here as well. Good old Deus Ex.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
GMDX makes a hell of a change to one of the game's most famous moments. In the showdown at the 'Ton, Paul isn't invincible, and if he dies before you, he's dead when you wake up. Had to go back a bunch of saves once I realized this -- I wasn't about to leave my brother behind.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Cheston posted:

This makes me want to try a permadeath run again.

In castle clinton, I'm pretty sure you can just jump in the water.

I also believe this is true but I think the NSF terrorist was blocking me (I was still in the vent) and its also very hard to see when you are on fire. I am tempted to carry a fire extinguisher, but inventory space is so tight between a GEP gun, sniper rifle and assault rifle.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Big Sean posted:

I also believe this is true but I think the NSF terrorist was blocking me (I was still in the vent) and its also very hard to see when you are on fire. I am tempted to carry a fire extinguisher, but inventory space is so tight between a GEP gun, sniper rifle and assault rifle.

swap out the sniper rifle for a highly modded handgun. just as effective imo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I know this is heresy but drop the drat GEP gun. My dirty Deus Ex secret is that I never carry one because of the inventory space. If you're diligent about collecting LAMs I don't see a situation where you would need something like that, except maybe a boss sequence. When asked at the beginning, I pick the crossbow for a silent takedown. (I also play 95% non-lethally so theres that)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I know this is heresy but drop the drat GEP gun. My dirty Deus Ex secret is that I never carry one because of the inventory space. If you're diligent about collecting LAMs I don't see a situation where you would need something like that, except maybe a boss sequence. When asked at the beginning, I pick the crossbow for a silent takedown. (I also play 95% non-lethally so theres that)

Counterpoint: what else are you going to use the inventory space for (especially playing non-lethally), and the usual argument that you can get a crossbow and a sniper rifle on LI but not a gep gun.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Counterpoint: what else are you going to use the inventory space for (especially playing non-lethally), and the usual argument that you can get a crossbow and a sniper rifle on LI but not a gep gun.

Well for one that guy would have been able to use a fire extinguisher and saved his permadeath run. As far as what I'm carrying... that's a fair question. I'm not exactly sure but my inventory is always full.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

I know this is heresy but drop the drat GEP gun.

Burn the witch

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

If you're playing NL there is no reason to not take the ultimate lockpick (AKA the GEP gun). You really don't need a lot of room for guns. It's also hilarious when secret agent stealth man JC Denton runs into a locker and uses a loving rocket launcher to open it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

As far as what I'm carrying... that's a fair question. I'm not exactly sure but my inventory is always full.

If your runs wind up anything like mine do, the other slots are full of 10,000 different stacks of knives and pistols.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
GEP chat: if you're not using it you're not playing correctly

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

K8.0 posted:

It's also hilarious when secret agent stealth man JC Denton runs into a locker and uses a loving rocket launcher to open it.

This is why. "Oh hey looks like someone locked that cupboard in the break room FIRE IN THE HOLE!"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm always swimming in both multitools and lockpicks. Revision actually cut down on that a lot, so that's a plus for that I guess. And everyone knows the ultimate lockpick is the Dragon's Tooth. Though on Biomod Paul's Blackjack can knock down a surprisingly large amount of doors if you have the melee aug.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm swimming in LAMs, rockets, picks, and multitools in most games and I still use the GEP Gun to open doors. It's the Right Way.

also I liked Revision well enough for what it was, but I'm going to try GMDX next because of all the positive posts about it. Wow, I have to play Deus Ex again. What a shame.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I've never understood how door strength in DX worked anyway. I just googled and found this:

"With Master Weapons: Low Tech skill and a L2 Combat Strength augmentation (arm augmentation slot), the Dragon's Tooth Sword can break most doors with 50% strength, as well as cameras, turrets, and alarm panels. Sometimes you can also break 70% strength doors; other times there are 25% doors that resist the Dragon's Tooth."

Uh, OK?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Linguica posted:

I've never understood how door strength in DX worked anyway. I just googled and found this:

"With Master Weapons: Low Tech skill and a L2 Combat Strength augmentation (arm augmentation slot), the Dragon's Tooth Sword can break most doors with 50% strength, as well as cameras, turrets, and alarm panels. Sometimes you can also break 70% strength doors; other times there are 25% doors that resist the Dragon's Tooth."

Uh, OK?

Doors have an invisible damage reduction stat between 0 and 100. Shifter and/or Biomod will expose it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Male Man posted:

Doors have an invisible damage reduction stat between 0 and 100. Shifter and/or Biomod will expose it.

To expand on this, doors have both a total health and a minimum damage property.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
How much does GMDX nerf the DTS?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
So according to an earlier changelog, GMDX's PS20 is supposed to have a non-lethal mode you can select with the reload button, but that doesn't seem to do anything for me. Anyone manage to get it to work?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The strength aug is usually the first one I go for so I can be a lockpick bashing machine.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Crindee posted:

So according to an earlier changelog, GMDX's PS20 is supposed to have a non-lethal mode you can select with the reload button, but that doesn't seem to do anything for me. Anyone manage to get it to work?

He took it out for the latest version.

So I decided to listen to Invisible War's soundtrack since I never really focused on it.

You know what? I really, REALLY like it. DX1 focused on memorable, immediately recognizable themes, but IW's music is all about texture and setting this absolutely palpable mood. Too bad the actual levels didn't really do the sound design justice but that's another story. Anyway, it feels like Brandon's most "mature" work. The Mako Ballistics and Lower Seattle themes are personal highlights. The music in general also feels a bit more "timeless" I guess I want to say. DX1's soundtrack sounds like something right out of the 90's, not that that's a bad thing :allears:

Although let's be honest, the Wan Chai Market theme is about as insensitive as the horrible accents :v:

Combat music would have been nice though! :argh:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

He took it out for the latest version.

So I decided to listen to Invisible War's soundtrack since I never really focused on it.

You know what? I really, REALLY like it. DX1 focused on memorable, immediately recognizable themes, but IW's music is all about texture and setting this absolutely palpable mood. Too bad the actual levels didn't really do the sound design justice but that's another story. Anyway, it feels like Brandon's most "mature" work. The Mako Ballistics and Lower Seattle themes are personal highlights. The music in general also feels a bit more "timeless" I guess I want to say. DX1's soundtrack sounds like something right out of the 90's, not that that's a bad thing :allears:

Although let's be honest, the Wan Chai Market theme is about as insensitive as the horrible accents :v:

Combat music would have been nice though! :argh:

DX:IW would be a great game if it weren't for the gameplay.

That's completely not sarcastically. The writing is fantastic, the art direction is great, and the graphics are pretty good for 2003 (this was a year before Doom 3 and Half-Life 2). Invisible War is held back entirely by the decision that the game belongs on Xbox.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 9, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Having meaningful consequences and a better system than universal ammo would be nice.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Invisible War would need to have a proper faction system and not this half-baked version that's currently in the game, much larger levels which give you more options for exploring instead of tiny little boxes with lots of loading screens, ditch universal ammo, a little bit of a rewrite to Alex's character and actually give better reasons for joining certain factions like the Illuminati or Templars besides just doing it for the hell of it because they're cartoonishly evil for it to approach being a good game.

I kind of want a remake not of Deus Ex 1, but of IW to be honest. I think it needs it much more than the first game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wouldn't mind a de-make... I'm surprised someone hasn't attempted to make Invisible War in the DX1 engine.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I can't really say that Invisible War had good writing when one of the biggest disappointments was the complete lack of impact your choices had, including having the leaders of factions you've slaughtered armies of still treating you like their errand boy and asking you to do fetch quests 3/4s of the way through the game instead of just shooting on site.

Also the Knights Templar were really weak antagonists. Human Revolution managed to make anti-augmentation fanatics work by framing it through the lens of modern paranoia about Big Pharma and showing the actual in-universe problems augmentation tech was causing. Invisible War has them be religious fanatics with no real doctrine beyond "augmentation bad, grrr" and while being a fringe terrorist group are also as conveniently big and powerful as the plot demands because they found a giant pile of gold somebody lost 1000 years ago.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I was replaying IW a few months ago and I got to Cairo. Up until that point, I had been constantly giving The Order the finger, down to executing everyone in the church in Lower Seattle. After burning the Nasif family greenhouse, Lin Mei Chen calls me up to chastise me, to the effect of "I have no choice but to have you killed."

I round a corner and two Order Seekers are standing there. Before they can even draw weapons I shot both of them in the head and went on my way. Chen calls me up again and I poo poo you not says "From now on you will follow my orders or else."

:psyduck:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Segmentation Fault posted:

Doom 3 and Half-Life 2...Invisible War is held back entirely by the decision that the game belongs on Xbox.

Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 were also on Xbox, you know.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 were also on Xbox, you know.

Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 were PC to Console ports rather than the other way around like it was with IW.
Doom 3 on the Xbox had levels removed, with the remaining ones having quite a few rooms reworked/changed due to hardware constraints, graphics were also worse obviously. It was still an excellent port though, and in some areas better than the original.
The Xbox port of Half-Life 2 had significantly worse visuals as well, though I don't think that one had anything removed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I can't really say that Invisible War had good writing when one of the biggest disappointments was the complete lack of impact your choices had, including having the leaders of factions you've slaughtered armies of still treating you like their errand boy and asking you to do fetch quests 3/4s of the way through the game instead of just shooting on site.

Also the Knights Templar were really weak antagonists. Human Revolution managed to make anti-augmentation fanatics work by framing it through the lens of modern paranoia about Big Pharma and showing the actual in-universe problems augmentation tech was causing. Invisible War has them be religious fanatics with no real doctrine beyond "augmentation bad, grrr" and while being a fringe terrorist group are also as conveniently big and powerful as the plot demands because they found a giant pile of gold somebody lost 1000 years ago.

And the main character has pretty much no personality, everybody from the first game has gone full rear end in a top hat, the Order is exactly the kind of lovely "One World Religion" that comes up in bad science fiction, the Illuminati's plot is stupid even by Illuminati standards, Billie is just the worst...

Yeah. Can't say I agree with defending the game on the basis of the writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Mostly just liked the conversation between JC and Alex about posthuman civilization. It had the same feel as the Morpheus conversation did where you really felt the message the writers were trying to get out.