Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

sinking belle posted:

The lack of any 7up branding on this cover is weirdly interesting to me

I like cool spot. All of the sunglasses, sneakers, and mickey mouse gloves of a 90's Icon. None of the forced catch phrases.

Oh right, I think earlier in the thread somebody mentioned DNL (Though I saw that in the 200Os so yeah). They had special display stands to put it upside down, so customers could go "Ooooh, it's 7up, upside down :downs:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

twistedmentat posted:

Them and Soundgarden I remember being out just before Nirvana broke. But yea, it was a weird time because it was a huge sea change that came almost over night.

That reminds me how in the late 90s it looked like the next big thing was going to be techno/edm/electronic/whatever you want to call it, Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Crystal Method, Prodigy, Moby, and others all where huge hits, dominating the charts. But it lasted less than a year, because then Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears came out and bam, it was Boy Bands and poptarts suddenly.

I guess the Rap Metal was an reaction against that.

If only history had gone differently.... :sigh:

What is the "musical destiny" of the 2000s and 2010s? Auto tune and...?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

But yea, sonic had 3 decent games, the rest has been absolute crap. I will never, ever understand the obsession some people have with Sonic, even beyond mentally ill people like Chris-Chan.

That depends on whether you count Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles as one game.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Home production is a pretty big deal.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Self distribution

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

twistedmentat posted:

We were listening to a 90s pop station on Google Play at work the other day and this song came on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU-hmNjCtvQ

I had completely forgotten about this. This is the perfect example of the 80s and the 90s crashing. The band looks like they were supposed to be a hair metal band but then the producers decided to try to make them into some kind of boy band

Welp, I've had this song in my head forever (I know, but preteen girls in the 90's had terrible tastes) and I must thank you for helping me find it. Turns out a bunch of pop songs I liked back then are drat near impossible to search for in iTunes (i.e., anything by The Boys and Tony Terry's "With You".)

I also hope I'm not the only Goonette who associates rattails with New Kids on the Block. :j:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Youtube and Soundcloud.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Section Z posted:

I like cool spot. All of the sunglasses, sneakers, and mickey mouse gloves of a 90's Icon. None of the forced catch phrases.

Oh right, I think earlier in the thread somebody mentioned DNL (Though I saw that in the 200Os so yeah). They had special display stands to put it upside down, so customers could go "Ooooh, it's 7up, upside down :downs:"

I remember dnL being pretty ok. It also brings to mind the Make 7-Up Yours campaign

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

twistedmentat posted:

Flesh coloured arms were all the rage in '92.

Ah, so now I know where that came from.

But yea, sonic had 3 decent games, the rest has been absolute crap. I will never, ever understand the obsession some people have with Sonic, even beyond mentally ill people like Chris-Chan.

Of all the things that seem like demarcation points for the generation gap of people who grew up in the 80s and 90s and ones who did in the 00s, Sonic games seem to be a major one. Like, I can tell a person's in their 20s if they try to tell you the Sonic Adventure duo of games were good (they're awful )

88h88 posted:

This is an 80s thing though, and French, so it's cool by default.

Cool Spot was who was meant.

I wish I had even the slightest bit of knowhow for searching for it, but something like 10 years back during the "Make 7-Up Yours" campaign, I heard a radio ad where they were interviewing the Spot, mimicking the "where are they now?" format. He was very pissed off that people had forgotten about him, and that the company had successful ads again.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I thought people liked the first Sonic Adventure, though. Or at least that it wasn't total poo poo.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Star Man posted:

I thought people liked the first Sonic Adventure, though. Or at least that it wasn't total poo poo.

It was considered alright when it was first released, but it's aged horribly. It's SA2 that people like.

e:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh. I have absolutely no taste for Sonic and wish Sonic fans would be swallowed up by a sinkhole, so I don't keep up on these things.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Star Man posted:

Oh. I have absolutely no taste for Sonic and wish Sonic fans would be swallowed up by a sinkhole, so I don't keep up on these things.

Wow what crawled down your chili hole and died?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Decrepus posted:

The Internet.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Wanamingo posted:

It was considered alright when it was first released, but it's aged horribly. It's SA2 that people like.

e:

Sonic Adventure was pretty fun.

Sonic Adventure 2 had an addictive minigame where you raised little pet guys and made them race and poo poo, and if you had that save cartridge with the screen on it you could play it like a tomagotchi or whatever. Also it had a kickin' rad final boss fight that is most certainly 90's a gently caress with the music and all.

Those were probably the last good Sonic games because I'm pretty sure SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG came out next and the little dude carrier around a piece. That marked the moment when Sonic and its fans started getting super weird.

it was probably as soon as they added big titty bat lady in SA2 that poo poo started getting weird to be honest, but it was still a fun game

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

You Are A Elf posted:

IIRC, the Bubsy Genesis game had a separate card with the instruction booklet that said something like, "Catch Bubsy in his first Thanksgiving Holiday Special! Coming soon!" That must be what it was referencing.

Thank God I never saw it, and just assumed it never happened.

I got Bubsy out of a bargain bin when I was a kid so the Thanksgiving special had already came and went like a year prior, so I guess I dodged a bullet there. I really liked the first Bubsy game for some reason, so much so that I bought the sequel, and probably would've watched that special if I managed to catch it in time.

I still have the stupid "trading cards" they packed in with the game for some reason, each with a different Accolade game on it. The Brett Hull Hockey card just has a totally black background with COMING SOON in big letters on the front and back, no write-up about the game or screenshots because it didn't exist yet.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Another 90s electronica music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvv_b1Qaf9Q

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

I still have the stupid "trading cards" they packed in with the game for some reason, each with a different Accolade game on it. The Brett Hull Hockey card just has a totally black background with COMING SOON in big letters on the front and back, no write-up about the game or screenshots because it didn't exist yet.

They're worth mad cash on ebay

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Decrepus posted:

he's mad cause sonic still gets games and megaman is dead and buried.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elfgames posted:

he's mad cause sonic still gets games and megaman is dead and buried.

Maybe.

Still glad I never put a cent into Mighty No. 9. It's gonna be 21XX before that game gets released.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I owned the tank of the Street Sharks.

You know who loved the Street Sharks? Vin Diesel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kthtkKM0oQ

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rough Lobster posted:

Those were probably the last good Sonic games because I'm pretty sure SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG came out next and the little dude carrier around a piece. That marked the moment when Sonic and its fans started getting super weird.

it was probably as soon as they added big titty bat lady in SA2 that poo poo started getting weird to be honest, but it was still a fun game

Nah, it was well before that - it was the cartoon that had Princess Sally and the spin-off comic from Archie Comics.

I'm pretty sure online furry fandom circa 2004 or so consisted mostly of people who grew up masturbating to Princess Sally from the Sonic cartoon and also the one girl character on Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Fun Fact: The early Furry Fandom is the reason Tiny Toons got canceled. Apparently a handful of newsgroup types got a hold of Tress McNeil's personal information and would leave detailed messages on her answering machine about what they would like to do to Babs Bunny. It got to where she couldn't do public appearances at like, WB stores or places anymore.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

ZDar Fan posted:

You know who loved the Street Sharks? Vin Diesel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kthtkKM0oQ

Conor Lastowka, is that you?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
This is what that Blake Harris book I mentioned earlier described the original design for Sonic as:

Console Wars by Blake Harris posted:

The hedgehog looked villainous and crude, complete with sharp fangs, a spiked collar, an electric guitar, and a human girlfriend whose cleavage made Barbie's chest look flat.

Honestly, I think that the only reason that Sonic was any good to begin with was that he was focus-grouped into being a halfway decent character. When I read it, I honestly got the feeling that the godawful 3D sonic games are closer the "ORIGINAL VISION" that Sega had in mind for Sonic than any of the good 2D ones.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

sinking belle posted:

The lack of any 7up branding on this cover is weirdly interesting to me
The European version of Cool Spot had no references to 7up and wasn't affiliated with 7up in any way, as Spot wasn't a thing over here (we had Fido Dido instead). All the logos and stuff were scrubbed out altogether or replaced with the Virgin (the developer/publisher) logo, the letters you collected in the bonus levels would spell out VIRGIN instead of UNCOLA, and so on. As a result, many of us in Europe had absolutely no idea what to make of Cool Spot (removing the branding from an advergame will do that), but it was still a pretty fun game at the time so it wasn't a huge problem.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yay America

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

King Vidiot posted:

I got Bubsy out of a bargain bin when I was a kid so the Thanksgiving special had already came and went like a year prior, so I guess I dodged a bullet there. I really liked the first Bubsy game for some reason, so much so that I bought the sequel, and probably would've watched that special if I managed to catch it in time.

The first Bubsy game wasn't so bad. I probably wouldn't enjoy it now because I was a child when it came out but still; it was different and did odd things that other games hadn't done yet. It was also chock full of 90's "hey let's just be plain weird for its own sake" stuff. In retrospect it wasn't much more than a generic, slightly sarcastic platformer.

It did, however, get popular enough that more crap kept coming out after it, absolutely none of which was good.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The first bubsy game was pretty fun for a platformer in the snes days

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I had the first Bubsy game and once you take out childhood nostalgia, it had pretty garbage controls, physics, and hitboxes.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I remember playing the crap out of it the summer I had a broken arm. Then I went back and played it on an emulator...it does not hold up. It's pretty awful and punishingly hard for no reason.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You die in one hit and the camera is super zoomed in so you can't see anything, Bubsy is terrible

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

The first bubsy game was pretty fun for a platformer in the snes days

The SNES had among the best platformers of all time. So no, even in the context of the 90s Bubsy was awful.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Lester the Unlikely was more fun than Busby.

At least once you got past the first part Lester actually behaved like a human being.

There's something 90s as gently caress, rending games blind based on the box art at blockbuster/local store. For every Secret of Mana or Earthworm Jim, you could end up with a Shaq Fu or Bebe's Kids.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

twistedmentat posted:

There's something 90s as gently caress, rending games blind based on the box art at blockbuster/local store. For every Secret of Mana or Earthworm Jim, you could end up with a Shaq Fu or Bebe's Kids.

I had four concurrent video game magazine subscriptions and still didn't really know what I was renting half the time.

But at least you could rent. :(

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

twistedmentat posted:

Lester the Unlikely was more fun than Busby.

At least once you got past the first part Lester actually behaved like a human being.

Your post illustrates this pretty well, if a SNES game was an original IP it was much more likely to be good than if it was based on an existing property (a movie, tv series, or Shaq), and that chance goes up again if the game is a SNES exclusive (Secret of Mana was better than Earthworm Jim)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I had never heard of Busby until the last handful of posts and still know nothing more than that. I also missed nearly the entirety of the SNES/Genesis generation of console games.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I loved SNES/Genesis and had a shitload of games for both systems. Yet I had never heard of Bubsy until this thread.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Wanamingo posted:

You die in one hit and the camera is super zoomed in so you can't see anything, Bubsy is terrible

It's not just the zoomed-in camera, the camera is hard locked to Bubsy at all times so when you're gliding through the air super fast it's basically impossible to control where you're going. The day you get "good" at Bubsy is the day you need to start worrying about your mental state. And yes, I did beat the game at least once and I'm not proud of it.

Star Man posted:

I had never heard of Busby until the last handful of posts and still know nothing more than that.

Please allow Mr ulillillia to explain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NCoTki0QVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ifNTb1Xx_I

In Chicago, the radio station B96 would play dance mixes for hours on end during nights on the weekend. I must've heard these songs a million billion times.