Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Just in case you forgot that this strip is all about gams.

You know, it occurs to me that in pretty much any other strip, the hiding-in-the-tutleneck thing would be cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Well that's a weird-rear end place.

They're eating in front of a tractor trailer with a poster on it

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"You made me put down my phone for this?"

They're eating at Johnny Rockets

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Gil 03/22/15

Apparently a real book.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

I went to look up "Sounder" and realized that wasn't the book, but the jerk-rear end peckerwood neighbor story sounded familiar.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Say Nothing posted:

WHERE IS YOUR rear end?

rear end was traded in for an extra 15cm of GAMSGAMSGAMSGAMSGAMS.

p.s. r ubbish i miss you

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If you hadn't done it, I would have.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

What are they talking about?
Right. So, that's Sam Driver and his wife Abbey Spencer, who are pretty much the main characters of Judge Parker these days. Sam's a lawyer, Abbey's a rich lady who owns a horse farm. In true soap-strip fashion, neither of them have to do much actual work, mostly they just hang around and other people show up to give them money or wineries or whatever. Their two adopted (and brilliant and independently wealthy) daughters live with them, and have their own drama, but generally not the kind that requires Sam or Abbey to do anything.

Anyway, Sam's recently decided that it's easier if he only has one client, Alan Parker, the original Judge Parker in the strip (his son Randy, Sam's old partner, is the new Judge Parker). And he's not wrong about that -- Alan's taken up writing novels, and naturally they're all best-sellers and the movie rights were worth a ton of money and everyone was just so happy to be a part of it that Sam literally did gently caress-all to make any of it possible. I mean, he showed up to a "tough negotiation" for the movie deal with some Hollywood bigwig, and the very first thing that happened was said bigwig just breezily agreeing to a huge amount with absolutely no discussion or hesitation and declaring that he wanted to go fishing with Sam instead. Which ended in some shotgun diplomacy with a pot-growing operation in the back woods that turned into a lucrative solar farm deal (of which Sam also got a cut). And no, that's not actually relevant to this particular storyline, but I feel compelled to mention it, for obvious reasons.

But because he's only got one client now, Sam doesn't need his old office anymore, and seeing as his current law partner -- Steve, the Iraqi war veteran with missing legs -- wanted to go off and marry their secretary and never appear in the comic strip again, Abbey's making a 'home office' for him out in the old barn. Which until recently had a dead rat stinking up the place, and which currently still smells of horse manure. Which I guess is tragic, or something? Poor Sam Driver, with his massive wealth and luxurious home and vast portfolio of lucrative properties and his hot wife -- his future home office which he doesn't even need will have to be deep-cleaned and aired out for a little while.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Actually describes my job rather accurately.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Which day of my posts is the last one with functioning images?

January 15th. I use google chrome with the SA extension. I used to run the SA images extension on scriptmonkey too but it was causing problems of its own.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Trilobite posted:

Right. So, that's Sam Driver and his wife Abbey Spencer, who are pretty much the main characters of Judge Parker these days. Sam's a lawyer, Abbey's a rich lady who owns a horse farm. In true soap-strip fashion, neither of them have to do much actual work, mostly they just hang around and other people show up to give them money or wineries or whatever. Their two adopted (and brilliant and independently wealthy) daughters live with them, and have their own drama, but generally not the kind that requires Sam or Abbey to do anything.

Anyway, Sam's recently decided that it's easier if he only has one client, Alan Parker, the original Judge Parker in the strip (his son Randy, Sam's old partner, is the new Judge Parker). And he's not wrong about that -- Alan's taken up writing novels, and naturally they're all best-sellers and the movie rights were worth a ton of money and everyone was just so happy to be a part of it that Sam literally did gently caress-all to make any of it possible. I mean, he showed up to a "tough negotiation" for the movie deal with some Hollywood bigwig, and the very first thing that happened was said bigwig just breezily agreeing to a huge amount with absolutely no discussion or hesitation and declaring that he wanted to go fishing with Sam instead. Which ended in some shotgun diplomacy with a pot-growing operation in the back woods that turned into a lucrative solar farm deal (of which Sam also got a cut). And no, that's not actually relevant to this particular storyline, but I feel compelled to mention it, for obvious reasons.

But because he's only got one client now, Sam doesn't need his old office anymore, and seeing as his current law partner -- Steve, the Iraqi war veteran with missing legs -- wanted to go off and marry their secretary and never appear in the comic strip again, Abbey's making a 'home office' for him out in the old barn. Which until recently had a dead rat stinking up the place, and which currently still smells of horse manure. Which I guess is tragic, or something? Poor Sam Driver, with his massive wealth and luxurious home and vast portfolio of lucrative properties and his hot wife -- his future home office which he doesn't even need will have to be deep-cleaned and aired out for a little while.

The best part of this story is that the only person who didn't like Judge Parker's novel was some shrewish, middle-aged book critic. It's OK, though, because Judge Parker met her on a cruise and confronted her, and even her own husband told her she was wrong and confirmed that Judge Parker's novel was the best thing ever.

Judge Parker makes Funky Winkerbean's literary wish-fulfillment look like the Bataan Death March.

treasureplane posted:

King Aroo (January 5, 1951)

I gotta say, I like King Aroo. It has a charming, Moomin-like sense of humor.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kid Fenris posted:

Judge Parker makes Funky Winkerbean's literary wish-fulfillment look like the Bataan Death March.

At least the characters in Judge Parker have the decency to be happy about everything always going their way. Les Moore gets everything he claims to want and then complains about it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was about to comment on something someone mentioned a while back, about how all the defendants in Pros and Cons seem to be guilty, and obviously so, and if that was supposed to reflect the author's views or something, but I just realized that it's actually probably far simpler than that: Guilty people are funny, innocent people aren't. Like this last one, the guy is guilty, but he's being found not guilty. There's some banter and comedy and such, and it's funny.

Reverse that, though, with an innocent person being declared guilty, and it's not funny anymore. That kind of situation is a tragedy and would likely overshadow any attempts at jokes, and would definitely bring down the mood of an otherwise rather light, clever comic strip.

It'd also affect our perceptions of the characters a lot. At the moment, Stan and Gillian are funny, despite being jerks fairly often; if they put someone who didn't deserve to be there in jail, though, they'd lose a lot of sympathy from the audience, even if going for a guilty verdict is arguably Gillian's job. Heck, even just having her prosecute someone who's not guilty would probably make her look a lot worse, as the audience might feel that she's "attacking" an innocent person. Samuel, on the other hand, can defend actual criminals and not look so bad, not only because most of the criminals end up in jail anyway, but because, barring a really bad sort of criminal who's not likely to show up in a comic strip anyway, trying to keep a guilty person out of jail doesn't look/feel as bad as trying to put an innocent person in jail.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I guess since it's a newspaper comic it needs to keep things relatively light-hearted or something, but it feels too uneven... I guess it's because I read those police justice threads in D&D, masochist that I am.

Though I don't think the Pro & Cons creator is some kind of just world 'anyone in jail is guilty' or somesuch. I remember them having someone on a jury snark at the prosecutor in response to a recent shooting of a black person.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Or just that the cartoon's name is Pros and Cons. Lyndon's patients too usually are not in need of a shrink but a good slap on the face, not because mental health problems are funny but because self-obsessed, deluded manchildren are funny.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and that makes light of people who actually need therapists. In a world where there's too many just world believers and laymen who think psychology is a useless profession, I think it would be nice if more media gave a fairer view of these things.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Could it be that cartoons, comedy and humour just aren't your thing?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:rolleyes:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, and that makes light of people who actually need therapists. In a world where there's too many just world believers and laymen who think psychology is a useless profession, I think it would be nice if more media gave a fairer view of these things.

It's a fair point and a good criticism of entertainment media in general, but I don't think you can usefully apply it to this specific case.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That might be the case. I guess I'll just skip it.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Tiggum posted:

At least the characters in Judge Parker have the decency to be happy about everything always going their way. Les Moore gets everything he claims to want and then complains about it.

Well, the Judge Parker people are about a billion times better off than Les Moore, who still has to work as a high-school teacher.

Yeah, I think I resent Judge Parker more. It's just "The rich get richer, and isn't that wonderful?" over and over, with the occasional dash of unquestioned jingoism.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
I throw this open to the Comic Strip Megathread hive mind - anyone know what comic this is?
It was published in January 1930, in the Prescott Evening Courier. There are no titles listed in the paper. I'm intrigued. The lead womans' names are Gay and Elsie.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix outsources.

I would legit read Family Oval every day :colbert:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Looks like we can soon look forward to Mark Trail "not" killing people once again. The man has tasted blood and the thirst must be sated!

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

By "new adventure" given the standards of the weekday Phantom I assume they mean back to school shopping.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Slammy posted:

I throw this open to the Comic Strip Megathread hive mind - anyone know what comic this is?
It was published in January 1930, in the Prescott Evening Courier. There are no titles listed in the paper. I'm intrigued. The lead womans' names are Gay and Elsie.

It's by Gladys Parker if that signature can be trusted, so I assume it's Gay and her gang

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Say Nothing posted:

WHERE IS YOUR rear end?

You forget, asses get in the way of gams.

Also I am liking King Aroo a lot too. He's a cute lil guy for a cute lil strip :3:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kid Fenris posted:

To be fair, most things make Funky Winkerbean look like a death march. That's what Funky Winkerbean is: people who refuse to even consider any silver linings because there's all these clouds around.

I would say a more apt comparison would be Rex Morgan. The Morgans get everything they want, particularly in this most recent storyline with Sarah the Genius, but their grasping for unearned prosperity still pales in comparison to the piles of riches amassed by the Spencer-Drivers.

Luann

Oh boy, I sure hope the two worst people in this strip get together! To form a murder/suicide pact!

The Amazing Spider-Man

They're handling it, Spidey. Butt out.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

goatface posted:

It's by Gladys Parker if that signature can be trusted, so I assume it's Gay and her gang

You're wonderful. You really are.

I'm posting it. It's fun. Gladys grew up a few miles from where I did, and had quite a career:

wiki posted:

After drawing the flapper strip Gay and Her Gang in 1928-29, she took over Ethel Hays' Flapper Fanny Says panel, which she did for NEA from 1930 to 1936. She also did a comic strip series for Lux Soap during the 1930s.

During World War II, Parker created the strip Betty G.I. for the Women's Army Corps, and she also stepped in to draw Russell Keaton's Flyin' Jenny from 1942 until 1944 when his assistant Marc Swayze took over.

Under the name Gladys Parker Designs, her clothing line was sold in stores as early as 1934, capitalizing on her fame as the artist of Flapper Fanny Says. Parker also designed for films, such as her 1940 white sharkskin suit worn by actress Louise Platt. Living in Hollywood with her two black cats, Parker also wrote a daily column, "Dear Gals and Guys", during the 1960s.

Gay and Her Gang (1930)

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 03/29/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Liar. You couldn't wait for the ink to dry on that check before you cashed it.

9 Chickweed Lane

Look at this big spender, paying extra to get the only hotel room with a window.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What the Hell is That Comix??

Pooch Café

Ballard Street

Gee, isn't he a little old to be having The Talk?

Lost Side of Suburbia

Reminder to read Flimm's dialogue in the voice of Keith David.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goober Peas posted:

I would legit read Family Oval every day :colbert:

To bad

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I love Ted so much. :allears:

The Classic Dinette Set sets a good example.

Working Daze gets in on the trend.

Super-Fun-Pax-Comix takes a day off.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Finally a Dilbert I can get behind.

Peanuts (February 1, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

NO. NO 'TO BE CONTINUED'. NO.

Rip Haywire snickers up his sleeve that you thought the strip was winding down.

Out Our Way (September 5-6, 1928)

Thimble Theater, in which Herringbone succumbs to scoundrel's guilt. A little self-medication at the speakeasy will fix that right up. (August 19, 1929)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 30, 2016

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
"Gay and Her Gang" is cool; please keep it up if you can.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Slammy posted:

Gay and Her Gang (1930)

Heehee, that's great.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (September 5, 1928)

I'm not sure why I did this...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (February 1, 1969)

He does have a pretty nice smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I remembered some of that--the pot farm storyline in particular, but yeah I didn't know anything about the home office. I stopped reading JP for a while there so maybe I missed it. All I remembered was that woman building a factory out of storage containers or something? The dead rat and manure stink didn't fit with that, at least not as far as I could see.

Slammy posted:

You're wonderful. You really are.

I'm posting it. It's fun. Gladys grew up a few miles from where I did, and had quite a career:

Gay and Her Gang (1930)

It's kind of neat just to see work from a woman cartoonist from back then.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Next week, Mary fondly remembers her stripper days.

Rex Morgan MD

Oh, who wouldn't love you, princess?

Secret Agent X-9

Maybe because creepy guys she just met follow her home and stalk her?

Apartment 3-G

Is he grabbing Web's rear end? The seduction begins!

• Locked thread