Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

They'll probably just go with regular Shocker like usual. Also out of curiousity, where exactly did the Skull Suit grunts commanly associated with Shocker come from? As I seem to remember the grunts in the original Kamen Rider being red-suited men with no masks. In fact I don't remember any of the grunts in the Showa era Kamen Riders looking quite like that (though Destron from V3 is kind of close). Now admitedly I haven't seen the first series all the way through (just what's been subbed and the final episode) so correct me if I'm wrong.

Same page that revealed Rider 1's new suit also revealed that two different Shocker factions are involved this time around, OG Shocker(lead by Ambassador Hell), and Nova Shocker, whose evil specialty is apparently running the global economy from the shadows, also the two don't get along, as for the iconic Shocker grunts, they first appear with a Shocker Commander from Mexico, although they stick around after his defeat until the Original Shocker is replaced by Gel Shocker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ghost is really cool and awesome and Houdini Soul is pretty drat rad.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

So is this new Rider 1 movie a standalone reboot deal like The First/Next or is it in "continuity"?

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 28, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's in continuity. The first series has happened.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still find it interesting that his new form is based on the relatively obscure second Ichigo form. It's my personal favorite just because I love the color scheme, so I can't complain.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Motto posted:

So is this new Rider 1 movie a standalone reboot deal like The First/Next or is it in "continuity"?

It's a movie, so it's probably non-canon. Or is. The movies may or may not be canon, depending on which series it is.

EDIT: So Kamen Rider Atsume is a thing.

Pyroi fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 28, 2016

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Pyroi posted:

It's a movie, so it's probably non-canon. Or is. The movies may or may not be canon, depending on which series it is.

EDIT: So Kamen Rider Atsume is a thing.

this new movie is canon for Kamen Rider Kiva, Kamen Rider Drive, and Kamen Rider Den-O. It is not canon for Kamen Rider OOOs, Ghost, Decade, or V3.

It is dubiously canon for all others.

(This post is not factual)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I know it's been said many times before, but holy poo poo is Ninninger bad.

Gabi Raizou is back, the general they defeated the fasted and easiest, when they were just starting out. Now that they're much stronger now, they should be able to easily handle him, right? Nope, they get their asses kicked, until Takaharu shows up, and defeats Gabi Raizou immediately after he appears.

Kyuuemon seals their Ninpo. Could this be an actual threat? Wait, no, they just pull some new Ninpo out of their asses and easily defeat him.

Grandpa goes up against Kibaoni, but since he's not part of the team he's obviously doomed to fail. And since the series has been constantly talking about how the Ninningers have all surpassed Grandpa, that means any potential threat Kibaoni would have presented is gone.

And while I know that killing Grandpa was obviously never going to happen, because this is Sentai and that's just how it works, the fact that it was never even a conflict just makes the whole thing boring and pointless. The Ninningers are so much better than Grandpa, why would they even need to kill him anyway? In Gokaiger, when the treasure offered the chance to defeat the Zangyack at the cost of erasing the past Sentai teams, the team was conflicted about whether or not to use it. Especially when it looked like there wasn't any way to win without it, and Gai even was convinced that they should use it. It was obvious they weren't going to, but the show presented a situation where it looked necessary and the team even thought they should.

But in Ninninger? They have no reason to kill Grandpa and all of them just go "Yep it's not even worth considering!" I mean maybe I'm being a bit too hasty, there are two episodes left and I suppose next episode could be the moment where they go "Maybe we should" but given how this show has been I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Flashman 06

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know it's been said many times before, but holy poo poo is Ninninger bad.

Gabi Raizou is back, the general they defeated the fasted and easiest, when they were just starting out. Now that they're much stronger now, they should be able to easily handle him, right? Nope, they get their asses kicked, until Takaharu shows up, and defeats Gabi Raizou immediately after he appears.

Kyuuemon seals their Ninpo. Could this be an actual threat? Wait, no, they just pull some new Ninpo out of their asses and easily defeat him.

Grandpa goes up against Kibaoni, but since he's not part of the team he's obviously doomed to fail. And since the series has been constantly talking about how the Ninningers have all surpassed Grandpa, that means any potential threat Kibaoni would have presented is gone.

And while I know that killing Grandpa was obviously never going to happen, because this is Sentai and that's just how it works, the fact that it was never even a conflict just makes the whole thing boring and pointless. The Ninningers are so much better than Grandpa, why would they even need to kill him anyway? In Gokaiger, when the treasure offered the chance to defeat the Zangyack at the cost of erasing the past Sentai teams, the team was conflicted about whether or not to use it. Especially when it looked like there wasn't any way to win without it, and Gai even was convinced that they should use it. It was obvious they weren't going to, but the show presented a situation where it looked necessary and the team even thought they should.

But in Ninninger? They have no reason to kill Grandpa and all of them just go "Yep it's not even worth considering!" I mean maybe I'm being a bit too hasty, there are two episodes left and I suppose next episode could be the moment where they go "Maybe we should" but given how this show has been I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

No there is no drama in it. I complained about it last week too.

There's even less Drama now because the 'Super Ninja' has officially joined the team; no enemy has ever been a direct, physical threat to the Ninningers except Raziou, they've all been only victorious because of handicaps or trickery, and now there's another Ninja who was called a 'prodigy', PLUS Grandpa apparently also turning into a Ninninger, which he never did before because.....? There's no threat or even any ability to feel like it's a threat, because the team has never been in danger and are now even less in danger because they have even more members now.

And you can tell that Grandpa and Dadranger are gonna carry their weight because they're Red, which is the best and strongest color. Though they might not be as good as Takaharu.

If there's only two episodes left I'm super excited because it means that in the next episode they're going to kill Gabi Raizou, Ariake No Kata, and one of Kibaoni and Kyuuemon, so that the last episode can be about that fight. Or maybe even everyone will get killed next episode and the last will be a 30 minute wrap up.

Which is really going to put the nail in what I've been saying; all the villains are so unthreatening that even the bosses all get killed in a single episode.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

And you can tell that Grandpa and Dadranger are gonna carry their weight because they're Red, which is the best and strongest color. Though they might not be as good as Takaharu.

Oh of course Grandpa isn't going to be as good as Takaharu. That's been the theme of Ninninger almost the entire show. Takaharu made allies with Lion Ha-Oh, which Grandpa couldn't do. Takaharu made new Ninja Allies, which Grandpa couldn't do. Takaharu made new Ninpo, which Grandpa couldn't do. Takaharu refused to kill an old man, which Grandpa couldn't do.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The theme of this whole show is "Takaharu is better". It got annoying by episode 3, and it has only gotten worse with time.

I have no doubts that Takaharu will fight Gengetsu alone and win, while the rest serve as his cheerleaders. It'd only be the third Sentai in a row to pull that bullshit! Though, it'd be even worse here because at least Daigo and Right were likable. Takaharu might be the single worst Ranger in history.

I'm pretty sure Ninninger would've been greatly improved by removing him entirely. It still would not be a good show because it has several more flaws, but at least it wouldn't have Takaharu.

Also I don't get why Tsumuji was constantly shown in grey if they were going to make him red anyways. I get why he's red, because we need to make it even more clear how Takaharu is the best and so the super prodigy and the Last Ninja share his colour, but it's still ridiculous. Also ridiculous: grandpa can transform. He never did it before, including fighting the ultimate enemy of the series, because...reasons? Never explained!

Oh, and talking about ridiculous, it's amazing how Kyuemon's backstory fails completely. We're meant to see him taking the Youkai power as this big event that clearly proves either his conviction or the weakness of his heart, and that'd definitely work! For Izayoi Kyuemon, that is. Because it doesn't work at all for Kibaoni Kyuemon Shingetsu, son of the biggest youkai in existance, destined to lead him to glory and completely devoted to said goal, and who has literally no reason to not be a youkai himself.

Zyuohger's opening is great and its premise sounds much better than this. I dislike every design but that won't stop me from enjoying it if it is better than Ninninger.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Remember Shinkenger, where Shinken Blue actually killed Doukoku?

Remember Gokaiger, where the final blow was dealt by Gokai Silver?

What happened to those days?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm glad I checked out of Ninninger early.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh, and talking about ridiculous, it's amazing how Kyuemon's backstory fails completely. We're meant to see him taking the Youkai power as this big event that clearly proves either his conviction or the weakness of his heart, and that'd definitely work! For Izayoi Kyuemon, that is. Because it doesn't work at all for Kibaoni Kyuemon Shingetsu, son of the biggest youkai in existance, destined to lead him to glory and completely devoted to said goal, and who has literally no reason to not be a youkai himself.

That part confused me too, it's like there were two different writing teams for Kyuuemon's character who never spoke to each other, and then a third guy got brought in this episode and went "Wait how are both of these backstories supposed to be true at the same time?" and then just decided gently caress it whatever. The only thing that makes "sense" is if Kibaoni's son was somehow a normal human and just happened to decide to turn himself into a youkai, the problem with that is why would he have been a normal human if he's the son of Kibaoni Gengetsu?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Over-Time finally released the Drive Type High Speed Telebi-kun special and it was hilarious. Tomokazu Seki playing a Roidmude who parodies all of Shinnosuke's catchphrases cracked me up. You can't break the hopes of children with bootleg magazines!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dexie posted:

Right there with you.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dexie posted:

Same.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Twelve by Pies posted:

That part confused me too, it's like there were two different writing teams for Kyuuemon's character who never spoke to each other, and then a third guy got brought in this episode and went "Wait how are both of these backstories supposed to be true at the same time?" and then just decided gently caress it whatever. The only thing that makes "sense" is if Kibaoni's son was somehow a normal human and just happened to decide to turn himself into a youkai, the problem with that is why would he have been a normal human if he's the son of Kibaoni Gengetsu?

Kyuuemon was interesting when he was an examination of how people could fail in their path. He became less interesting when it was revealed that, in actuality, he was doomed to fail the entire time. Especially with the more recent stuff.

Why was Grandpa even upset with Kyuuemon at all for taking Tsumiji's Nintality? That kind of brutal ruthless conviction is exactly what was required to be Last Ninja in the first place. For some reason Grandpa was like 'I can't believe he's done this' when the entire premise of Last Ninja apparently involves doing just that. It speaks that this last minute 'reveal' of what it takes to be the Last Ninja was cobbled together to try and add tension.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Some Numbers posted:

Remember Gokaiger, where the final blow was dealt by Gokai Silver?

What happened to those days?

Even if right was most of the final battle in toqger, it was at least a long struggle that he nearly lost and that he still needed his friends for. And he tried not only saving them from the battle but to save them from losing the ability to have normal lives at his own expense.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Acne Rain posted:

Even if right was most of the final battle in toqger, it was at least a long struggle that he nearly lost and that he still needed his friends for. And he tried not only saving them from the battle but to save them from losing the ability to have normal lives at his own expense.

also they hit Zed with a train.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBuPf5FptnE

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I really like the way Ghost does recaps

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Killer Queen posted:

Over-Time finally released the Drive Type High Speed Telebi-kun special and it was hilarious. Tomokazu Seki playing a Roidmude who parodies all of Shinnosuke's catchphrases cracked me up. You can't break the hopes of children with bootleg magazines!

Yessss. More Drive. All the Drive. Give me Drive forever, or give Riku Sanjo a new show.

Shin's high-speed personality was the best part of the special. Hilarious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Some Numbers posted:

Actually, that kinda annoyed me. And I don't think Shinkenblue had any real reason to be involved.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tae posted:

Actually, that kinda annoyed me. And I don't think Shinkenblue had any real reason to be involved.

Ryuunosuke was part of the team and honestly the closest to a second in command. I thought it kind of fit since part of Takeru's character arc was learning to accept help and not do everything by himself.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Please let Juohger be good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Toku Thread V3: Zyuohjer please be good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
guess who got his zyuranger dvds today and is enjoying them greatly

hint its me forums poster dickeye

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
hey y'all OZC finished doing blurays for Drive. his current plans are to work on Fourze and get that closer to being done, and then do quarterly releases of Ghost blurays like he did with Drive

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Please let Juohger be good.

If you really, really like reds it probably will be!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serious Frolicking posted:

If you really, really like reds it probably will be!

I'm glad you can tell that much about a show that isn't out until like next week from preview videos

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Changeman Movie 1

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

hey y'all OZC finished doing blurays for Drive. his current plans are to work on Fourze and get that closer to being done, and then do quarterly releases of Ghost blurays like he did with Drive

Yeah, I've been working on syncing the Foruze dub audio I've got for the rest of the series first, then I'll knock out the subs. Otherwise, once that's done, it'll be Ghost quarterly like you said, and on to Wizard once Fourze is done, with Gaim after that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OZC posted:

Yeah, I've been working on syncing the Foruze dub audio I've got for the rest of the series first, then I'll knock out the subs. Otherwise, once that's done, it'll be Ghost quarterly like you said, and on to Wizard once Fourze is done, with Gaim after that.

wait there's a dub????

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
3-minute Zyuohger trailer. Or if you're in Japan and reading this, you can watch it on YT because Toei decided "we're gonna lock this up."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

I'm glad you can tell that much about a show that isn't out until like next week from preview videos

The writing is on the wall, man. The last few shows have been more and more red-centric, and this time red is the special one as part of the basic premise.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

wait there's a dub????

Yep, although I only have copies of it for Episode 34 through the end. I managed to capture them off of a streaming site from Singapore, but while they repeated the entire series after the weekly run ended, they didn't re-post the episodes so I couldn't get any of the earlier ones. I released Episode 34 with it already, and I posted a couple short samples of it on Twitter. It's as bad as you might expect, so I'm basically just including it for laughs.

https://twitter.com/OZCLive/status/684675080433999872
https://twitter.com/OZCLive/status/685015302954848256

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

GuyUpNorth posted:

3-minute Zyuohger trailer. Or if you're in Japan and reading this, you can watch it on YT because Toei decided "we're gonna lock this up."

Man, I was totally on board with the cubes until they flipped open into a cell phone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

The writing is on the wall, man. The last few shows have been more and more red-centric, and this time red is the special one as part of the basic premise.

Being red-centric isn't an issue if the show is written well, Kyoryuger keeps getting brought up because it straight up said "Daigo has no flaws or weaknesses and is the best ever" and it was still really good. He also came off as a far better character than Takaharu on top of that.

• Locked thread