Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Slur posted:

I'm not listening to your opinions anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Zu7_hdh38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I do kind of think Tales of the Abyss' cast is kind of insufferable myself. At first it's just Luke who is the rear end in a top hat, but when character development happens and he's trying his best to be a better person, the rest of the cast turn insufferable because they keep making GBS threads on him over something that's partially their fault because they never told him the truth from the beginning and kept hiding it from him.

Like, sure by the end of the game they all trust each other but goddamn some of the stupidity and the complete inability for the party to take personal responsibility for what happens and constantly shifting the blame is just grating.

On the other hand, Xillia has one of the best Tales Of casts so I dunno why Slur thinks they're unlikable. Even Alvin is pretty likable in his crazy Revolver Ocelot-ness.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I do kind of think Tales of the Abyss' cast is kind of insufferable myself. At first it's just Luke who is the rear end in a top hat, but when character development happens and he's trying his best to be a better person, the rest of the cast turn insufferable because they keep making GBS threads on him over something that's partially their fault because they never told him the truth from the beginning and kept hiding it from him.

Like, sure by the end of the game they all trust each other but goddamn some of the stupidity and the complete inability for the party to take personal responsibility for what happens and constantly shifting the blame is just grating.

wait, how was what luke did partially their fault in any way

like it's been a while since i played the game and i haven't beaten it yet, but i played a good point past the end of the first act, and iirc what happened was entirely the fault of luke for being a selfish idiot who let himself be way too easily manipulated. and even then, guy took a bit of responsibility himself for letting luke grow up to become that kind of person. anything anybody could have done to counter it, i'm pretty sure they learned long after he'd already hosed up. and even if they did know, if they tried telling him beforehand, it wasn't something you could just easily drop on somebody, especially not someone as thick-headed as luke was.

and honestly, they don't even poo poo on luke for an incredibly long time. i think the one who continually shits on him the longest is anise, after a couple hours most of the party is cautious, but not outright hostile towards him.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

like it's been a while since i played the game and i haven't beaten it yet, but i played a good point past the end of the first act, and iirc what happened was entirely the fault of luke for being a selfish idiot who let himself be way too easily manipulated. and even then, guy took a bit of responsibility himself for letting luke grow up to become that kind of person. anything anybody could have done to counter it, i'm pretty sure they learned long after he'd already hosed up. and even if they did know, if they tried telling him beforehand, it wasn't something you could just easily drop on somebody, especially not someone as thick-headed as luke was.

and honestly, they don't even poo poo on luke for an incredibly long time. i think the one who continually shits on him the longest is anise, after a couple hours most of the party is cautious, but not outright hostile towards him.

luke is mentally like seven years old and none of the party members really communicate with him at all (mostly jade)

really i think it's mostly jade anyway. tear is being a forgiving love interest, natalia is too concerned with ~the real luke~, anise is a literal child, and guy is the best

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Looper posted:

luke is mentally like seven years old and none of the party members really communicate with him at all (mostly jade)

that's not how brains work

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was fine with Luke being a petulant poo poo because it was something different and he would develop, but after he undergoes character development he just loses any bite he had and becomes really boring and flat and the rest of the cast in that game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks except like Guy.

Also stop mistaking Matthew Mercer for Troy Baker, holy poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jade is cool.
Anise is cool.
Guy is cool.
Asch is cool.
Natalia is cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Asch is like one of the most annoying non-mascot characters I've seen in a JRPG, for real

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

asch... is... cool

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Enter the amazing Guy!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Motto posted:

or he's literally seven years old? idk it's been a while

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Asch is 17-20. Luke is a clone of Asch. Luke is 17-20

Brains grow as you age, and 'Clone' implies a replica of all of that person's physical attributes, including their brain. Therefore Luke has the brain of a 17-20 year old, not a 7 year old. He has the same capacity for reasoning and empathy that anyone his age would have.

He only has 7 or so years of experience, but that's different from being literally 7 years old. If I fell on my head and got amnesia, I wouldn't suddenly have the reasoning ability of an infant, I'd just need to relearn things. I'd still be as capable of advanced thought as anyone my age.

You could say that Luke's lack of experience led to both his arrogance and led to him being easily manipulated by Van, and that's probably true, but that's very different from saying he's literally seven years old and the party was kicking around a child.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 30, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I'd still be as capable of advanced thought as anyone my age.

i have some bad news for you

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Endorph posted:

Jade is cool.
Anise is cool.
Guy is cool.
Asch is cool.
Natalia is cool.
I don't like Anise but Tokunaga is the coolest party member, and by extension, Anise is also cool.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

Asch is 17-20. Luke is a clone of Asch. Luke is 17-20

Brains grow as you age, and 'Clone' implies a replica of all of that person's physical attributes, including their brain. Therefore Luke has the brain of a 17-20 year old, not a 7 year old. He has the same capacity for reasoning and empathy that anyone his age would have.

He only has 7 or so years of experience, but that's different from being literally 7 years old. If I fell on my head and got amnesia, I wouldn't suddenly have the reasoning ability of an infant, I'd just need to relearn things. I'd still be as capable of advanced thought as anyone my age.

You could say that Luke's lack of experience led to both his arrogance and led to him being easily manipulated by Van, and that's probably true, but that's very different from saying he's literally seven years old and the party was kicking around a child.

that's fair. i like luke as a character, especially how he actually reacts to the crazy concept of killing people, i was just trying to rationalize why the other party members are at least a tiny bit culpable for the mines falling apart, especially jade

e: i know age isn't really relevant for that, but it's what i usually see people shouting about online

Looper fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 30, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the party doesn't try to shift the blame onto luke, they just get incredibly exasperated when his immediate reaction is to have a screaming tantrum about how it isn't his fault.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah. The party wants Luke to take responsibility for his actions. When he does, they accept it and allow him to work towards making things better. Which is kind of how things should be.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Xillia has a great cast and is probably my favorite of all Tales casts I've played, which admittedly is only like, 4 of them, but what makes them awesome is that they got a nice fat sequel to continue fleshing out the characters and letting us go hang out with them some more.

Also let us add new best buddy Gaius.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's kind of a shame that Abyss did Luke so well cause I hated him so much when I first played I stopped playing the game before you get to the mines and he has his epiphany or whatever

I only know it gets better cause of people talking about it all the time, I sold the game a long time ago

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Motto posted:

the party doesn't try to shift the blame onto luke, they just get incredibly exasperated when his immediate reaction is to have a screaming tantrum about how it isn't his fault.

i'm not disagreeing with you

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Jade and I think Guy all knew what Luke actually was and yet didn't tell him. Jade certainly did anyway. Luke also had no reason not to trust Van, since Van has been the only one there for him besides Guy since he was "born" and the rest of the party who said he shouldn't trust Van were pretty much strangers in his eyes, including an colonel from an enemy nation and an assassin. Upon which, the party were negligent enough to let Luke wander on his own and be manipulated by Van in the first place.

So it was really everyone's fault, yet the game treats it as if Luke was the only guilty party in the incident. The only one in the party who doesn't bear much fault over what happens is Natalia and that's because she's about the only one who doesn't know what's going on. Tear knows more than she's letting on, Guy knows more than he lets on, Jade knows more than he's letting on and so does Anise.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's kind of a shame that Abyss did Luke so well cause I hated him so much when I first played I stopped playing the game before you get to the mines and he has his epiphany or whatever

I only know it gets better cause of people talking about it all the time, I sold the game a long time ago

Luke gets "better" for all of about 5 hours, before he shifts to whining about things that relate to him being a clone and his/other characters mortality. It also doesn't help that one of the characters he does whine about could be replaced with a vending machine with a catchy jingle and you'd actually gain something from the experience.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
don't like this new thread, havnt got a comfortable feel yet. need to get my butt imprint on this one.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
my new av feels at home here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Forest Thief Pud posted:

It also doesn't help that one of the characters he does whine about could be replaced with a vending machine with a catchy jingle and you'd actually gain something from the experience.
:yikes:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The 4th party member you get in Trails in the Sky's overcharge move is OP.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stux posted:

my new av feels at home here

what's it from?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's from Love Live

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't know how you can post in the Games anime chat thread and not recognise Nico's girlfriend.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't know how you can post in the Games anime chat thread and not recognise Nico's girlfriend.

i don't recognize your av either :>

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMpI_bc3LrI

it was directed by the same guy as ghost in the shell and it's good

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Looper posted: