Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I couldn't get Braulio's chin-in variant on the RNC to work without it just being me loving up someone's jaw. Had a very strong white belt try it on me whilst we were rolling too, and holy gently caress that was a bad time, but no choke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Changing club is fun. No one knows my special moves yet so I can slam people all the god drat time, it's like I have super powers. It feels like I had a huge judo level up! Too bad it won't last long but I'm sure enjoying it for the time being.

Also charging for belts can be alright like Thoguh said, but it depends on a lot of factors. 50 sounds like a lot, but it's hard to say without knowing the specifics

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 30, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

In my mind I'm going to decline my promotion when offered, but I'll probably get all giddy and fork over the $50 anyway.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Don't decline promotions. If you trust your instructor to know how your technique stacks up better than you, accept their judgement. If you don't trust your instructor to know how your technique stacks up better than you, why are you trusting them to train you?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

It's mostly based around having to pay $50 for them to say "hey you can line up somewhere differently now."

It wouldn't have to be some awkward interaction. My school only does promotions twice a year, and if you miss it, better luck next time. My instructor would hint that I should spend the 2 hours to get to the main school on a Saturday morning, and I would have some excuse for why I can't make it. I don't plan on competing in bjj, and don't feel my belt color is particularly important.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 30, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Gadamer posted:

It wouldn't have to be some awkward interaction. My school only does promotions twice a year, and if you miss it, better luck next time. My instructor would hint that I should spend the 2 hours to get to the main school on a Saturday morning, and I would have some excuse for why I can't make it. I don't plan on competing in bjj, and don't feel my belt color is particularly important.

If your instructor promotes based on merit, It gives white belts a visual guide that says "This guy has been around about x amount of years and the instructor says he knows the techniques at y level". Other than that good advertising when people come into try a class that there's a bunch of different levels.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Take the bloody promotion, white to blue doesn't mean much really

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
got accidentally socked in the jaw today while doing a pass, which i guess is my wakeup call to get a mouth-guard. any recommendations? bonus points if i can get it from amazon

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Kuvo posted:

got accidentally socked in the jaw today while doing a pass, which i guess is my wakeup call to get a mouth-guard. any recommendations? bonus points if i can get it from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctor-Adult-Strapless-Mouthguard/dp/B00181B8LK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454176380&sr=8-2

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Gadamer posted:

It's mostly based around having to pay $50 for them to say "hey you can line up somewhere differently now."

I don't blame you.

I know this got discussed to death a few pages back so I won't weigh in on how retarded I think it is to charge someone for a promotion.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Kuvo posted:

I use the Shock Doctor Gel Max, I had my first one for three years, and had no issues at all, other than needing to remould it a few times. I've just bought another one, as my first one is on it's last legs after the three years of constant use. Costs about £15 in the UK, really good for not being a custom job.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok just to clarify with Thai kicks you're trying to land your shin on the bag as high up on your lower leg as possible correct? I have a bad habit of landing on the inside curve of my foot and it whips around and bangs my pinky toe up pretty good

I feel my kicks are solid otherwise and I'm constantly gauging distance with jabs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ok just to clarify with Thai kicks you're trying to land your shin on the bag as high up on your lower leg as possible correct?
You mean closer to your knee than your ankle? No, not that high. Maybe halfway up would work, but that still seems too high to me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think I just have a tough time finding that sweet spot where I'm not slapping the poo poo out of my toes

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The harder I kick, the more I point my toes out (away from me) and stiffen my foot at impact to reduce that slapping effect.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

kimbo305 posted:

You mean closer to your knee than your ankle? No, not that high. Maybe halfway up would work, but that still seems too high to me.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ok just to clarify with Thai kicks you're trying to land your shin on the bag as high up on your lower leg as possible correct? I have a bad habit of landing on the inside curve of my foot and it whips around and bangs my pinky toe up pretty good

I feel my kicks are solid otherwise and I'm constantly gauging distance with jabs.

I always find that whoever you're kicking is in more control of what you hit with than you are. You try to hit them with the shin, but if they step back and you hit them with your toes, you're still coming out ahead. Worst case scenario you break some bones in your feet, but they probably won't be standing much longer.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Kuvo posted:

I use the Shock Doctor recommended by others here, but I've also heard really great things about the Gladiator custom mouthguards. It's $55 for your first one but every subsequent one will be half that.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 31, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll chime in as someone who doesn't like the shock doctor. There's a bit of harder plastic inside that was cutting my mouth when I had one. If you have dental insurance, go to your dentist. A custom one will be covered 97% by your insurer because it's way cheaper to buy you a mouthguard (dentist may call it a "sport guard") than it is to fix your teeth. My custom one is so comfortable that I can speak 90% clearly with it in my mouth.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I freaking love my custom, got it from http://www.ironjawmouthguards.com on the recommendation of one of my coaches that knows the guys that run it. They'll also do a second copy cheap off the same mold (this is probably fairly standard, I'm not sure), which I took advantage of when I lost my first one (then of course found it the day after the replacement showed up).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gadamer posted:

I use the Shock Doctor recommended by others here, but I've also heard really great things about the Gladiator custom mouthguards. It's $55 for your first one but every subsequent one will be half that.

I have a Gladiator Pro that fits just as well as my dentist made one (which my insurance did not cover). It's the same process -- you just put in the molding cups yourself and ship to Gladiator for making them.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Different people will tell you different things but thats basically where youre supposed to land. If youre kicking a bag your foot should sorta wrap around the curve of the bag. Try dorsiflexing at the ankle at the moment the kick lands, it tenses the muscles on the front side of the tibia and stabilizes the ankle so you have more control over how your foot 'slaps' into the bag, it also makes the kick hurt a little more, and it also makes it a little easier to pull your kick back because you can use the flex to sort of 'push off' from the bag and bring your leg back to the ground

Its a similar principle to when you check leg kicks, you check them with your ankle flexed, you dont check a leg kick with your toes pointed towards the ground or it makes the whole structure weaker

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

On the subject of kickboxing, how do pro fighters deal with people checking or shielding their kicks without shin guards? When we spar at the gym we wear shin pads and generally its fun, but if we are drilling say checks or shields and you kick just a little harder than you should have when you're not wearing shin guards your shin smarts a whole lot, I can imagine if you're throwing at like 70% how if someone shields your kick you will be hurting, is there a trick or is it a "MAN UP YOU PANZY" sorta thing.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 31, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

KildarX posted:

On the subject of kickboxing, how do pro fighters deal with people checking or shielding their kicks without shin guards? When we spar at the gym we wear shin pads and generally its fun, but if we are drilling say checks or shields and you kick just a little harder than you should have when you're not wearing shin guards your shin smarts a whole lot, I can imagine if you're throwing at like 70% how if someone shields your kick you will be hurting, is there a trick or is it a "MAN UP YOU PANZY" sorta thing.

It hurts a lot and pro fighters are really tough :shrug:

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Also: Repeated trauma numbs or destroys the nerves so they just don't feel the pain.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Does anyone have any recommendations for online stores to buy gear? Or a recommendation for a sparring gear set? In class we generally use pretty simple setups: hands, feet, and head. I'd like something fairly cheap for a beginner, and I'll upgrade as I learn my preferences. This is pretty similar to what we use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006M...rG6L&ref=plSrch

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Darth Llama posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for online stores to buy gear? Or a recommendation for a sparring gear set? In class we generally use pretty simple setups: hands, feet, and head. I'd like something fairly cheap for a beginner, and I'll upgrade as I learn my preferences. This is pretty similar to what we use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006M...rG6L&ref=plSrch

What sport? That gear would be useless in a sport where you actually hit each other

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

manyak posted:

What sport? That gear would be useless in a sport where you actually hit each other

Essentially TKD.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Darth Llama posted:

Essentially TKD.

My inclination would be to get real gear from a boxing or muai thai brand, evne if you're doing something "lighter." That rubber-covered foam poo poo doesn't last.

Something like

http://www.amazon.com/Rival-Traditi...boxing+headgear

Will be far superior to any of that TMA stuff.

You only get one head. Don't cheap on your protection.

Also: what country?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 1, 2016

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I have a Gladiator Pro that fits just as well as my dentist made one (which my insurance did not cover). It's the same process -- you just put in the molding cups yourself and ship to Gladiator for making them.

Yep, my Gladiator owns bones. I feel like I could have done a better job with the mold, and it still fits really well.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

CommonShore posted:

My inclination would be to get real gear from a boxing or muai thai brand, evne if you're doing something "lighter." That rubber-covered foam poo poo doesn't last.

Something like

http://www.amazon.com/Rival-Traditi...boxing+headgear

Will be far superior to any of that TMA stuff.

You only get one head. Don't cheap on your protection.

Also: what country?

United States. Technically it is Tang Soo Do. You're right about the foam stuff. Most of the ones at the gym seem to fall apart pretty quickly. All the sparring is pretty light contact though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Darth Llama posted:

United States. Technically it is Tang Soo Do. You're right about the foam stuff. Most of the ones at the gym seem to fall apart pretty quickly. All the sparring is pretty light contact though.

The thing with any sparring is that it's always ideally pretty light contact. But if nothing ever went wrong or nothing unexpected happened, we could spar without gear, right? But the good gear has you covered when you lean into a kick. Also consdider that if you buy a set of that stuff and it falls apart, by the time you've bought your first replacement you've spent as much as you would have if you had bought good gear in the first place.

Amazon is a decent source. Check out the manufacturer websites for Ringside and Title. I like Rival stuff too, but they're based in Canada, so I have no idea what shipping to the states is like. For Muay Thai gear, check out Fairtex.

I recognize that in lots of trad. martial arts you kick with the foot rather than with the shin, so MT gear won't be terribly useful otherwise.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

The thing with any sparring is that it's always ideally pretty light contact.

I disagree, in that a lot of people won't develop the correct responses in terms of evading or blocking if they're always hit with light shots. If someone is hanging their face out there because you're holding back on the power, you have to step it up so they respect the strike enough to actually execute some meaningful defense against it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

I disagree, in that a lot of people won't develop the correct responses in terms of evading or blocking if they're always hit with light shots. If someone is hanging their face out there because you're holding back on the power, you have to step it up so they respect the strike enough to actually execute some meaningful defense against it.

Yeah I should have used the word "controlled" instead of "light."

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

CommonShore posted:

The thing with any sparring is that it's always ideally pretty light contact. But if nothing ever went wrong or nothing unexpected happened, we could spar without gear, right? But the good gear has you covered when you lean into a kick. Also consdider that if you buy a set of that stuff and it falls apart, by the time you've bought your first replacement you've spent as much as you would have if you had bought good gear in the first place.

Amazon is a decent source. Check out the manufacturer websites for Ringside and Title. I like Rival stuff too, but they're based in Canada, so I have no idea what shipping to the states is like. For Muay Thai gear, check out Fairtex.

I recognize that in lots of trad. martial arts you kick with the foot rather than with the shin, so MT gear won't be terribly useful otherwise.

Excellent, thanks. I'll check them out.

Re: foot. Yes, most of our stuff seems foot focused rather than shin, and we are required to have our toes covered as well (someone apparently lost an eye to a toenail in a competition once).

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Stephen Koepfer (Sambo Steeve) has a new leglocks DVD available on Vimeo for purchase or rental. Before dropping money on his stuff though. I've already purchased pretty much all the material I could want from Reilly Bodycomb. Is there anything in his new DVD I could learn or Reilly already covered the material Steeve has?

For reference i've got :

Sambo leglocks for no-gi grappling Vol.1 and 2
Top Rock
No Kurtka Vol.1 and 2

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Stephen Koepfer (Sambo Steeve) has a new leglocks DVD available on Vimeo for purchase or rental. Before dropping money on his stuff though. I've already purchased pretty much all the material I could want from Reilly Bodycomb. Is there anything in his new DVD I could learn or Reilly already covered the material Steeve has?

For reference i've got :

Sambo leglocks for no-gi grappling Vol.1 and 2
Top Rock
No Kurtka Vol.1 and 2

It's a little more focused on solid fundamentals than Reilly's stuff, but still similar territory since Reilly was Steve's student after all. In any case you should buy it because then maybe we could afford to get a space heater at the club or fix the busted front door or the broken elevator :kiddo:

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's a little more focused on solid fundamentals than Reilly's stuff, but still similar territory since Reilly was Steve's student after all. In any case you should buy it because then maybe we could afford to get a space heater at the club or fix the busted front door or the broken elevator :kiddo:

Oh nice man, I Didn't know you trained there. I was actually thinking of dropping in there if I ever get to go to New-York sometime. I'll look into getting the instructional and leave a review here afterwards if some people are down with that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Oh nice man, I Didn't know you trained there. I was actually thinking of dropping in there if I ever get to go to New-York sometime. I'll look into getting the instructional and leave a review here afterwards if some people are down with that.

You should definitely stop by, post or PM me if you're ever in town.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Is that NY Combat Sambo or some place else? I dropped in for an open mat last year and had some good rolls - place is tiny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

origami posted:

Is that NY Combat Sambo or some place else? I dropped in for an open mat last year and had some good rolls - place is tiny though.

Yep, New York Combat Sambo.

• Locked thread