Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: With Tracy-Ann Oberman in that, I might just have to take the plunge into the murky Torchwood audio waters.

I'm enjoying the Big Finish audios a hell of a lot more then I did the actual television show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
If 13's going to be female and I absolutely think they've been pushing it that way for a while (Clara as the Doctor's stand-in, Missy, the General), I really hope it's after Moffat's gone because IIRC the man has got some major league issues writing female characters.

On the other hand I dread them making a Doctor defined mostly on her sex appeal, which is what happens with a lot of female action leads. Sigh.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

If 13's going to be female and I absolutely think they've been pushing it that way for a while (Clara as the Doctor's stand-in, Missy, the General), I really hope it's after Moffat's gone because IIRC the man has got some major league issues writing female characters.

On the other hand I dread them making a Doctor defined mostly on her sex appeal, which is what happens with a lot of female action leads. Sigh.

I'm infinitely more worried about what Chibnall might do.

Remember. This is the man who thought Cyberwoman was a good idea.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The new doctor is also somehow the new cyberwoman

Just throw a multicolored scarf on her and away we go

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chokes McGee posted:

Which is why I was eliciting names of actresses who were at least 30 years old. Many cool suggestions in this thread. A 22 year-old girlie girl in a crop top as the doctor would be basically unwatchable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kelp Plankton posted:

The new doctor is also somehow the new cyberwoman

Just throw a multicolored scarf on her and away we go

Someone write this man a check.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
They could always get the witch from Supernatural, she has...interesting speech patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQNt9p4cxb0

Plus she's available now. :rip:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

Someone write this man a check.

Mostly as a bribe to keep him away :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CommonShore posted:

Which is why I was eliciting names of actresses who were at least 30 years old. Many cool suggestions in this thread. A 22 year-old girlie girl in a crop top as the doctor would be basically unwatchable.

Wait until Capaldi regenerates into Peri. Now there's a face worth stealing :heysexy:

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

CommonShore posted:

Just for fun thought experiment - middle-aged British or Irish actresses who own and who could carry the role in a fresh way?

I'd like to see Lesley Sharp as a female Doctor. I feel like she'd be more than capable and it would bring things nicely full circle, as she first came to prominence through working with Russell T Davies. Actually, thinking about it, she has already "played" the Doctor, in a way.

Ha, I just discovered she had an early film role acting opposite some Scottish bloke.. I'm starting to think Capaldi is the Kevin Bacon of British drama.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

Cynical though I may be, I have a feeling that sex appeal will inevitably be an element of it if a female Doctor is cast - they're going to be thinking, at least to some extent, "Okay, guys, we know you've got doubts but give the new Doctor a chance - she's nice to look at, isn't she?"

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know what would constitute a fresh approach to the role. How about Emilia Fox? Katie McGrath if you want someone younger?

Ruth Wilson? Anna Friel? Keeley Hawes? Hermione Norris?

I must say, though, the prospect of Colin Salmon as the Doctor is what makes my mum go :allears:

Tamsin Grieg

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

She was even already in Tennant's "The Long Game" episode with Simon Pegg! And the subtext for her wanting that face of course would be putting vaginas in the heads of all the annoying dork fans like her character did to Adam. It all works out.

...And she can rescue Manny from that dreadful Narnia Christmas special and Bernard can come by and drink all the wine and she can listen to the Fisher King do the shipping reports on the radio and it will be just like in my Doctor Who/Black Books fanfic...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Go big or go home. Helen Mirren. Or Anna Chancellor.

Also acceptable:
Nathan Stewart-Jarrett
Lennie James

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Any member of the cast of Black Books would do an excellent job.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
gently caress it, get Kate McKinnon in there.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DoctorWhat posted:

Any member of the cast of Black Books would do an excellent job.

OK hear me out on this one.

What about...

Every member of the cast of Black Books

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

The_Doctor posted:

Go big or go home. Helen Mirren. Or Anna Chancellor.

Also acceptable:
Nathan Stewart-Jarrett
Lennie James

Janet McTeer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are so many dreadfully terrible women working in British television (my girlfriend watches a LOT of British cooking and reality shows) that I'd be worried who Chibnall would choose. What I really want is some insanely ballsy casting. Like two midgets in a long coat.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Or Billie Piper.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

quote:

What I really want is some insanely ballsy casting. Like two midgets in a long coat.

We already had Tom Baker

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

qntm posted:

Or Billie Piper.

I'd be ok with this. I never cared for Rose, but she was great in the 50th.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Valeyard posted:

Hey BTW does anyone happen to have copies of the BBC commentary tracks they used to host on the old DW site? You can still access the site, but the commentary tracks don't work anymore. I hope they aren't lost to time

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

There's a wonderful irony in that request coming from someone whose namesake invented Doctor Who commentary tracks...

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Do you mean like this? The commentary is still working on that page for me.

E: Unrelatedly, some contemporary Peter Davison silliness that I hadn't seen before.

pinacotheca fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 30, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I've said before Dylan Moran is the best choice of Drunken Doctor. Lurching across the universe, frequently being rescued by Bill and Fran breaking hearts from Zeta Minor to Exo-Space.

"Would you like some...wine? It's not very good actually, it's just some crap I got off Sarn."

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd be ok with this. I never cared for Rose, but she was great in the 50th.

"I know I recognise this face somehow, but from where? Who could it be?"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

qntm posted:

"I know I recognise this face somehow, but from where? Who could it be?"

Maybe give her an Irish accent?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsjgkgMpW7U

Big Finish's rendition of the Torchwood theme is way better than the TV show's version.

I do hope we get a full-team-audio at some point though, these one-offs just feel wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'd really like it if they could use some of Murray Gold's music in the Big Finish audios. Things like the Gallifrey leitmotif and the UNIT/Dalek themes would be nice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chokes McGee posted:

We already had Tom Baker

I said two midgets.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tilda Swinton - I just hope she accepts her destiny instead of fighting it like Alan Rickman did :colbert:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
If we're blue-skying talent, how about Cate Blanchett? Great actor, solid nerd cred, beautiful and chock a block full of gravitas. Unless Aussies don't count. She lives somewhere in Sussex now, though, so that should be good.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

2house2fly posted:

OK hear me out on this one.

What about...

"Help, I've swallowed the Little Book of Karn!"

I would also accept Jane Horrocks or Sarah Millican as the Doctor.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Had we an actual time machine my choice would be Stephanie Cole circa Waiting for God.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

remusclaw posted:

Had we an actual time machine my choice would be Stephanie Cole circa Waiting for God.

She was 48 playing a pensioner there, so she's probably around the age she was playing now. So it's fine!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If we're having fantasy casting, Judi Dench from somewhere in the 1990-2000 range.

If we want to stick with the standard male casting, James Callis.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm curious, is there any truth to what I heard at some point that the actors that played the Doctor in the Curse of Fatal Death were all considered for the role in the 1996 movie/intended remake?

I just ask because Rowan Atkinson would be a fantastic Time Lord. More the Master than the Doctor, but he could pull off playing any of them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Rowan Atkinson was interviewed back when it was supposed to be an American TV reboot, with the Master and the Doctor brothers and the Doctor leaving Gallifrey to try and find their father, the Master having become Lord President. Also Borusa was their grandfather, and Borusa's spirit was trapped in the TARDIS in a sort of Zordon sort of way I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BSam, we're still waiting for you to post what echoplex sent you!

Unless you posted and I completely missed it

• Locked thread