Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sashimi posted:

Has 2K or Valve announced when the preload will begin? I need to coordinate with a friend to use his place's internet connection since I've got really lovely internet where I live right now.

Why not just pick, like, "the day before it releases"? It's not like preloading earlier actually helps things at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's worth remembering that when they first revealed the bureau it was just straight up called XCOM, and when some executive/marketer was asked why they were making a shooter out of that IP, they basically said that no one wanted to play turn-based games. I'm not sure if Enemy Unknown had even been greenlit at that time.

Were there any successful turn based games around then? I know 4X games like Civ were doing well, but I don't remember any big hits with something like XCOM.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
After reading several long war air guides on reddit and steam (referencing this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=443073372&searchtext=air ) it seems all NOE large ufos can be ignored as a mission will spawn? I just let one go in June but no mission came up. Is the table incomplete or do not get access to all landed ufo missions?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Apparently there's going to be something mod and Long War related in the Pax stream in an hour or so.

I'm still betting that it's not going to be Long War 2 but some silly texture and GUI mods made by them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's worth remembering that when they first revealed the bureau it was just straight up called XCOM, and when some executive/marketer was asked why they were making a shooter out of that IP, they basically said that no one wanted to play turn-based games. I'm not sure if Enemy Unknown had even been greenlit at that time.

That said, I'm almost glad for those doldrums because it made watching the Enemy Unknown E3 trailer that much more amazing. That music, those designs, everything about it was so good

Nah, Enemy Unknown, or rather the general idea of a Firaxis XCOM game had been in the works since 2003, years before Bureau. Basically that game went through a ton of iterations and many large changes, only coalescing into a final design around about 2008. If you wanna call Bureau development hell, Enemy Unknown was at least Purgatory.

Basically I think that the 2k guy made what he thought was the reasonable call at the time - it was unclear whether the Firaxis XCOM was ever going to come out, 2k Marin seemed a surer bet due to their experience with Bioshock 2 (which I think is the best Bioshock game), and lest we forget this was around about the time of the big surge in tactical ability based FPS games. Jake Solomon was a nobody whose only experience was with Civ Rev.

http://www.civilizationrevolution.com/podcasts/podcast_2_transcript.html

quote:

Jake Solomon: Yeah I second that. I’m Jake Solomon, I’m a junior programmer and I do whatever Sid tells me to because he’s vicious. If you do not obey.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wasn't it 2008 when it actually landed on Jake Solomon's lap though

edit: apparently not!

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/1/31/3928710/making-of-xcoms-jake-solomon-firaxis-sid-meier

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Somehow I managed to get Friday off. It's gonna be a good day.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Speedball posted:

It was in development at least as long as the Bureau was but for some drat reason 2K decided that Bureau was the big-money project everyone would be excited about and so only advertised it at first while Firaxis' strategy game was kept hush-hush until only a year before it came out.

It was a strange and stupid year for games. And not the first time a beloved strategy game got replaced by a first person shooter (they also did that with Syndicate).

It was also made at a weird time in Firaxis's life. There was a few years around the release of Civ V where Firaxis tried to go all EA and I wouldn't be surprised if the Bureau/FPS-COM was thought up and spat out due to much of the thinking that was going on in the shop at that time. "We're just gonna dump the game on people, ignore their complaints, and then nickel and dime them to death with DLC content packs instead of making actual expansions." By the time EU did come out Firaxis was pulling out of that state of utter contempt for their customers as they realized it really didn't work for them, but you could still see a few traces of that old thinking with the Zhang DLC questline.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Alkydere posted:

It was also made at a weird time in Firaxis's life. There was a few years around the release of Civ V where Firaxis tried to go all EA and I wouldn't be surprised if the Bureau/FPS-COM was thought up and spat out due to much of the thinking that was going on in the shop at that time. "We're just gonna dump the game on people, ignore their complaints, and then nickel and dime them to death with DLC content packs instead of making actual expansions." By the time EU did come out Firaxis was pulling out of that state of utter contempt for their customers as they realized it really didn't work for them, but you could still see a few traces of that old thinking with the Zhang DLC questline.

Uhh.

Firaxis != 2K.

And seriously, these stories about those eeevil publishers never fail to be hilariously inaccurate to how things really work.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Alkydere posted:

Without touching that whole "is DLC evil?" thing, I have an image I think you need to see:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fangz posted:

Uhh.

Firaxis != 2K.

And seriously, these stories about those eeevil publishers never fail to be hilariously inaccurate to how things really work.

Firaxis still made Civ V. 2K published it. And I'm not saying they were eeevil, I'm saying they had a period of a few years where they tried a marketing and community management model that really doesn't work for a smaller developer like Firaxis, likely because of a mixture of inexperience and perhaps 2K leaning on them. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Civ V got like a dozen 1-2 Civ DLCs was partly because the devs went "Wait, we can just do this now since everything's got online connectivity! This is really cool!" and didn't realize how much it would annoy the fans when you're tossing out Ghenghis Khan instead of visibly working on a proper expansion to flesh out the game and try to fix some of the deep rooted mechanical issues with the vanilla game itself. Mixed with Firaxis's traditional incredibly slow and long cycles on patches, it really did create a view of the developers really snobbing and disregarding their customers. It's why Firaxis tries so hard to be interactive with their fanbase these days.

And also the backlash over Slingshot was very much why the second mission DLC set, Progeny, was bundled into Enemy Within.

Exposure posted:

Without touching that whole "is DLC evil?" thing, I have an image I think you need to see:

:ughh: I'm not saying DLC is inherently evil. I'm comparing Firaxis's days when they shat out almost horse-armor quality stuff like Slingshot (Hey, let's gently caress up our game's progression with three stale missions and a boring guy you can't even play dress up with) and single-civ DLC for Civ V in near-total silence compared to today where they put effort into massive updates and actively communicate with their fan community.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 30, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zhang is a cool dude those missions were fun, IMO. I guess some people will hate/like anything and you really can't please everyone, weird.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's hard to argue that slingshot fit in really awkwardly into the main game, since council missions were used as a panic valve in the earlier plays of the game, and zhang violated some basic tenets of the game by overshadowing your gi joes. if you liked it that's cool but it's basically an objective fact that there was some serious tonal dissonance.

that civ 5's dlc scheme was bad/weird is also hard to argue; a lot of the civs they offered had clearly not been tested much after inception because they were useless on the level of Washington/America, which Firaxis basically intentionally made bad in Civ 5, and in the context of the larger game they were ridiculous to manage for multiplayer.

by comparison, larger scale gameplay upgrades and filling out of mechanics sounds like a great idea, esp when you combine it with what really worked in XCOM 1 (the expanded dress up options).

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the bureau was a bad game

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Coolguye posted:

it's hard to argue that slingshot fit in really awkwardly into the main game, since council missions were used as a panic valve in the earlier plays of the game, and zhang violated some basic tenets of the game by overshadowing your gi joes. if you liked it that's cool but it's basically an objective fact that there was some serious tonal dissonance.

that civ 5's dlc scheme was bad/weird is also hard to argue; a lot of the civs they offered had clearly not been tested much after inception because they were useless on the level of Washington/America, which Firaxis basically intentionally made bad in Civ 5, and in the context of the larger game they were ridiculous to manage for multiplayer.

by comparison, larger scale gameplay upgrades and filling out of mechanics sounds like a great idea, esp when you combine it with what really worked in XCOM 1 (the expanded dress up options).

Yeah but it's really a false dichotomy. From a management viewpoint basically the role of this stuff is to have parts of the studio doing things and producing a revenue source from the more committed players, and to keep folks playing the game, while the larger expansions are slowly being made. I find it implausible that Enemy Within would have gotten out any faster if Slingshot didn't happen, and ditto in the case of Civ 5's expansions.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Firaxis devs doing a PAX stream in 10 minutes (12:30 CST) at http://www.twitch.tv/pax2

They're going to talk about modding which should be cool, wonder if they'll mention the long war dev stuff

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
JohnnyLump is there and they said they're going to show mods in action. Good chance they are going to show the new Long War.

fspades fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 30, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

fspades posted:

JohnnyLump is there and they said they're going to show mods in action. Good chance they are going to show the new Long War.
Sort of. Looks like they have him doing some drop-in mods available at release: So far they've shown an SMG weapon pack, a new enemy, and officers.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
drat, this is really cool. They weren't joking around about modding.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

It is a large percentage that, but the USA is kinda huge in terms of landmass and mostly sparsely populated west of the Mississippi, so there are sound (if really unfortunate) reasons for most of the country having poo poo all for internet infrastructure

Except that lots of urban areas have the same problems with lovely internet. Densely populated areas should have an easier time getting better internet. For example, like when Google rolls into a city and starts offering fast internet at a reasonable price.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

:gizz:

fspades fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 30, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pigeon guns confirmed.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Fangz posted:

Pigeon guns confirmed.
This was my first thought as well.

Gonna mod a pigeon gun into this game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is really huge. Like, this could bring a whole generation of tactical strategy games that have nothing to do with XCOM just because of the ease with which you can mod it. I'm imagining a Homefront game with the map being various parts of the US and you're fighting off an occupying force.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Replay mode confirmed!

This guy
Jul 29, 2007
YES
replay!!!!!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
How about Bradford...as a gun?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Realtime replay mod might become reality.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Oh man, free-cam in replay mode sounds amazing.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Seriously though, replacing Gremlins with Dogs is going to be extremely viable.

Although they may be flying with their legs outstretched into what passes for a dog t-pose but it will still be Good.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
A hotseat mode where both the human and alien turns are controlled by players was mentioned.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I am so loving excited for this game combined with these mods tools, I can't even put it into words. I can't get over what a great approach this is for Firaxis to take.

e: This is like, the platonic ideal of game development. Couldn't fit procedural maps into the first game, but builds on that success to come back with a vengeance in the sequel.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 30, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Seeing as how the OpenXCOM thread is long dead, does anyone mind if I ask about it here? I started reading about the Final Mod Pack and fired up my old OX install to try it out, only to find out I need one of the nightlies. Problem is, when I go to run it, it hangs, opens 3 or 4 copies of itself that I can't kill in task manager and refuses to do anything else. I've followed the instructions to the letter, but I'm totally lost about what I might be doing wrong.

Demiurge4 posted:

This is really huge. Like, this could bring a whole generation of tactical strategy games that have nothing to do with XCOM just because of the ease with which you can mod it. I'm imagining a Homefront game with the map being various parts of the US and you're fighting off an occupying force.

gently caress Stargate, I want a B.P.R.D. mod now!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I wonder what "600+ Character assets" actually translates to, as in how much of it is soldier customization stuff, and more importantly if there are dogs.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Wizard Styles posted:

I wonder what "600+ Character assets" actually translates to, as in how much of it is soldier customization stuff, and more importantly if there are dogs.

It's actually just 600+ copies of the colin's bear model. The animation assets, too.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
XCOM 2 will bring closure to "video games" for me. From February 5th onward all I'm gonna play will be XCOM 2 and XCOM 2 mods. Until the day I die.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I cant wait for the huge titted naked dickgirl snake mods

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Berious posted:

"Let's put some boobs on thi-... wow they've already put it."

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The terrain swap while keeping the same map features is awesome.

Berious posted:

I thought the snake dick came standard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Berious posted:

clean face mods for all the snakes.