Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Quick question about OTA updates: I own an unlocked HTC One M9 in Canada, but I bought it from an Amazon Marketplace seller (granted, a Canadian one) rather than direct from HTC or from a carrier, so I have no idea which carrier it "belonged" to, if any - I haven't rooted it at all and there was no branding and no obvious bundleware so frankly it could have come from anywhere. Unlocked Canadian M9s were supposed to receive the Marshmallow update last week. Canadian M9s on the network I'm using were supposed to receive the Marshmallow update today. I still haven't.

I know that updates can take several days after an announcement, but my general question is: which carrier/region controls when you get OTAs, so I'll know who to watch for (until I upgrade in some more straightforward way). The original region and carrier it was manufactured for (assuming I can find that out somehow), the one it's being used in, some combination of the two?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Nexus 6P casechat: I've got both the Diztronic and the Spigen Slim Fit. The Diztronic was on my phone for one day, precisely the length of time I didn't have the Spigen, and it hasn't gone back on. The Spigen is great, and I actually put a DBrand skin on the case. It looks great, and protects the phone pretty well. I've also got a TGSP from Orzly.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Cases are like condoms. You don't really need them until that one time you should have had one.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dallan Invictus posted:

The original region and carrier it was manufactured for

Pretty sure it's this one. Android updates are a goddamn clusterfuck and it's one real advantage that iDevices have.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

vyst posted:

Cases are like condoms. You don't really need them until that one time you should have had one.

This is pretty much why I spring for a Diztronic whenever I get a new phone. For $10, can't beat the bit of extra peace of mind.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

vyst posted:

Dropped my phone and now I have Chlamydia :(

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have a Droid Turbo 2 so the only drop I ever think about is Marshmallow.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Dropped my phone and now I have Chlamydia :(

Uh... I swear that's how I got it too!! :bigtran:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

vyst posted:

I prefer how it feels without one and, in the event of an accident, I'll just shell out the little bit of cash to fix the problem.

Same for phone cases.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I hope this isn't too ignorant a question, I've googled but not found results relating to whether using Nova Launcher on a Nexus 6P would prevent the fingerprint unlock from working - does anyone know please?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
When I had my 6P, Nova was installed and it worked without issue

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

XIII posted:

I prefer how it feels without one and, in the event of an accident, I'll just shell out the little bit of cash to fix the problem.

Same for phone cases.

hah!

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Hi phone nerds, I have a galaxy s4 that has started to really deeply poo poo the bed on me after a few years of faithful service. I looked around at existing options and the 6P seems like it is winning the race for me now. Should I snatch it up, or do they secretly light on fire/is the new Nexus line coming out within the next month or something and I should hold off a sec?

\/ gr8, thank you for validating my decision.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 28, 2016

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The March Hare posted:

Hi phone nerds, I have a galaxy s4 that has started to really deeply poo poo the bed on me after a few years of faithful service. I looked around at existing options and the 6P seems like it is winning the race for me now. Should I snatch it up, or do they secretly light on fire/is the new Nexus line coming out within the next month or something and I should hold off a sec?

The 6P is Android Thread Approved so just buy it already.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Anjow posted:

I hope this isn't too ignorant a question, I've googled but not found results relating to whether using Nova Launcher on a Nexus 6P would prevent the fingerprint unlock from working - does anyone know please?

I'm using it now on my Nexus 6P. Both Nova and the fingerprint reader work just fine.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is it just me or is something wrong with Google now?

I can't connect to Google now, whether on 4g or WiFi. I am posting this from my phone on 4g right now, so I know I have connectivity.

Also, the clock is wrong on my phone by about ten minutes.

I've tried rebooting a couple of times but it has no effect.

Edit: fixed it. Tried going to Google and out told me the clock was off, and took me to my phones auto cock settings, for some reason provider time was turned off

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 29, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I actually just took my case off today because it feels better

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So it's probably really likely that Nokia is going to start making Android phones now that their DNC clause with Microsoft is expired, right? I feel like they could dominate the midrange in place of Motorola if they wanted to. Google should buy them and make them produce Nexus phones with SD card slots and removable batteries.

edit: vv uh because they are still releasing nexus phones every year

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 29, 2016

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Why do people still assume Google is in any way interested in being an Android handset manufacturer?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

Not the best analogy for goons to pick up on.

Cases are like taking a shower.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

sharkytm posted:

Nexus 6P casechat: I've got both the Diztronic and the Spigen Slim Fit. The Diztronic was on my phone for one day, precisely the length of time I didn't have the Spigen, and it hasn't gone back on. The Spigen is great, and I actually put a DBrand skin on the case. It looks great, and protects the phone pretty well. I've also got a TGSP from Orzly.

Whoa I'm just trying to decide which of these to buy for my 5X, what are your findings

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I tried to use navigation for a long drive for the first time yesterday. My phone was plugged in to my car charger (Belkin one) using a type c cable. However I couldn't get it to charge consistently. It would charge for a few seconds when first connected then nothing. The cable is brand new. Any idea what's going on here? The charger worked fine with my Z3c. I'm using a 5x.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Details on the new Samsung Galaxys have leaked: same screen, bump up in battery size and :siren: microSD slots :siren:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My 6p autonomously puts itself in priority mode 3-4 times a week so I'm missing tons of emails until I notice. Any way to track down what is doing it?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

uPen posted:

My 6p autonomously puts itself in priority mode 3-4 times a week so I'm missing tons of emails until I notice. Any way to track down what is doing it?

This happens to me sometimes too, not quite sure what's going on.

E: nvm I just figured it out. Priority mode goes on when I turn the volume down all the way. I'm a dumbass. Although I partially blame Google because for a while volume down all the way still vibrated and didn't turn on priority.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of priority mode, I still can't get texts from my starred contacts to make any sort of noise or vibrate on my 2014 Moto X. Any ideas? I've hit the Moto Assist set to keep the phone quite and the active notifications off during Android's down time, for what it's worth.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kraps posted:

Whoa I'm just trying to decide which of these to buy for my 5X, what are your findings
About what? I love the Spigen Thin Fit, not so much the Diztronic.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Speaking of priority mode, I still can't get texts from my starred contacts to make any sort of noise or vibrate on my 2014 Moto X. Any ideas? I've hit the Moto Assist set to keep the phone quite and the active notifications off during Android's down time, for what it's worth.

Are the relevant apps excluded from deep sleep or whatever it's called?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's a Verizon model, so that's not applicable.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Wax Dynasty posted:

Details on the new Samsung Galaxys have leaked: same screen, bump up in battery size and :siren: microSD slots :siren:

quote:

While neither handset will bring back the ability for end users to replace batteries

C'mon, Samsung, SD cards and removable batteries were like the only things that made your phones good.

Alas, maybe the S8.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Wax Dynasty posted:

:eyepop: those battery sizes though, suddenly samsung doesn't seem so lovely (jk it's still bad)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Wax Dynasty posted:

I look forward to getting one, then regretting it.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

datajosh posted:

I look forward to getting one, then regretting it.

Same here. Maybe they'll tone down TouchWiz even more. A man can dream.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I have two phones that I swap my sim card between, my LG G4, which is my 'regular phone' and a craigslist PoS beat up Galaxy S5. I find myself using my Galaxy S5 more often because I forgot how much I missed having a hardware button. I guess that's dumb though.

edit: and I still maintain that Touchwiz hasn't been THAT BAD since Lollipop. Kitkat was abysmal but Lollipop feels a lot more responsive, even on the Galaxy S5's non-stripped-down version. I tried putting this thing on CM13 but it broke everything so alas

edit edit: I think this thing needs a new battery, though. Not gonna go with an "OEM replacement" that is guaranteed to be a chinese fake, so probably one that is at least honest with being a chinese fake.

How's Anker? I've heard good things about that brand before.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 30, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bronin posted:

Is Google supposed to be helping with that?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

bronin posted:

I didn't mind TW on the S6 while I had it but the memory management was poo poo.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is Google supposed to be helping with that?

Yeah I think I read something about that. Would be a good move on Google's part since most people who come into contact with Android do so with a Samsung phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Touchwiz on the Note 5/S6 series phones is finally actually pretty good, with the exception of update speed and memory management.

And this is the Google helping thing you guys heard about : http://www.sammobile.com/2015/11/25/crazy-rumor-google-to-help-samsung-optimize-touchwiz/

SoltoN
Jul 27, 2006
Anyone have experience with warranty on direct from China phones (from places like elephone.cc)? My Nexus 5 cratered. Deciding on 5X vs china special and not sure if its worth saving the $100 if there is no warranty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Wax Dynasty posted:

quote:

One alleged difference this year is the inclusion of always-on display (AOD) functionality, enabling a glanceable screen (with the ability to show downloaded content), which is said to consume about one percent of the battery per hour.

This can't be for real...