Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's not at all about being unable to handle the idea of a feminine looking male. It's that instead of giving him a male model with soft feature, they gave him a female model. It's a weird design choice and the fact that literally everyone who looks at that picture can tell that it looks more female than male doesn't mean everyone is sexist or whatever weird agenda is being pushed here. It's an observation. Ramza is a boy, that was never under debate when I played Tactics, but now that he's in Dissidia he looks like Agrias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

SonicRulez posted:

It's not at all about being unable to handle the idea of a feminine looking male. It's that instead of giving him a male model with soft feature, they gave him a female model. It's a weird design choice and the fact that literally everyone who looks at that picture can tell that it looks more female than male doesn't mean everyone is sexist or whatever weird agenda is being pushed here. It's an observation. Ramza is a boy, that was never under debate when I played Tactics, but now that he's in Dissidia he looks like Agrias.

i thought Ramza was a girl when i first played tactics

granted i was 8 and didn't read poo poo.

no agenda being pushed here just making observations!!!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not a female model, just fyi

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SonicRulez posted:

While you are on a roll, do you have any observations on Kuja?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Can't believe how clearly one can differentiate between Ramza's labia majora and minora on his model. hosed up how female it is.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

zedprime posted:

Asscape thongs make him look more imposing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

zedprime posted:

Kuja is actually this thing done right! Kuja has stereotypically female characteristics like his thin waist and his clothes and how often he's prone to prancing about. Despite all of that, Kuja still looks like a dude. That's the distinction to be made. Ramza doesn't look like a feminine guy in that screenshot, he looks like a girl. Contrast to Kuja whose gender I have never been confused about. Same for Genesis or Riku from Kingdom Hearts or any of the other "All Final Fantasy guys look like chicks lol".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Baal posted:

If they have a chaos char from Tactics I would say Delita is shoo in, yes.

Also possibly Agrias, there's supposed to be around some 50 characters when the game is done in Arcades and getting ready for its console release, so there's plenty of spots for cool new guys outside of the mainline series to show up.

Delita or Weigraf would be the chaos character. Probably Weigraf since it'd be a better fit and he very much wants to murder the hell out of Ramza. It also means he gets to turn in to Belias as part of whatever super attack ability he'd have. Delita wouldn't have anything that interesting to work with.

Belias is also the last Ultimate fight that was used for the FFT event in FFRK. :shrug:

e: Dissidia Ramza is basically Taylor Hanson.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They are not using hard character motivations for character choices otherwise they never would've added Gabranth, Shantotto, or even Jecht for that matter. It's about character popularity and what works for the game especially since this is an arcade game first and won't have a story mode until the console version in like 2017 or 18.

I mean it's possible Wiegraf makes it in, but Delita works for an opposing character to Ramza and people seem to talk about him a lot more in general.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ramza 1/2: Hard Motivation

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tidus' hard character motivation for Yuna

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Baal posted:

They are not using hard character motivations for character choices otherwise they never would've added Gabranth, Shantotto, or even Jecht for that matter. It's about character popularity and what works for the game especially since this is an arcade game first and won't have a story mode until the console version in like 2017 or 18.

I thought hard character motivation is exactly why they added Jecht instead of Seymour. They felt Seymour was more Yuna's villain and they weren't going to add Yuna over Tidus. So with Tidus came Jecht. Gabranth and Shantotto weren't subject to this since they were the only representatives from their Fantasy in the original Dissidia.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's almost as though removing these characters entirely from the situations that normally drive them would change their motivations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SonicRulez posted:

I thought hard character motivation is exactly why they added Jecht instead of Seymour. They felt Seymour was more Yuna's villain and they weren't going to add Yuna over Tidus. So with Tidus came Jecht. Gabranth and Shantotto weren't subject to this since they were the only representatives from their Fantasy in the original Dissidia.

My point is fan favorites and promoting new games gets in over who is possibly thematically appropriate since even in Dissidia's story mode character motivations got changed a lot for the sake of the story the game was trying to tell.

giffan
Jul 10, 2012
I'm just relieved Ramza doesn't look like Gackt. Still wish they had gone with the spiky armor.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It'll be an alternate costume for him when the game is done and they have time to make those.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If we go by Tactics Ogre definitions then Delita would be Lawful and Ramza would be Chaos/Neutral

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dissidia wish list

Seifer (I would actually be ok with like half of VIII's party members being in Dissidia because they're cool + have more interesting weapons than most FF characters but most people would probably hate that)
Steiner/Freya
Sazh
Balthier
Paine??? (an X-2 character would be cool if they made the garment grid/dressphere thing a part of their moveset)

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 30, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm curious who 13's Chaos rep would be. A Ruin-spamming Dysley? Caius, technically not being from the game be damned? Joke option Yaag Rosch, the Man Who Died Thrice?

Actually Cid might work if not for the name, and even that won't be an issue if they're throwing out the plot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Terper posted:

If we go by Tactics Ogre definitions then Delita would be Lawful and Ramza would be Chaos/Neutral

Dissidia needs Tactics Ogres characters. We could have Lans and Lans. :buddy:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sabin and his attacks are mostly comprised of suplexing large things on people.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Terper posted:

Delita ... Neutral

Delita does have a depressing ending so this checks out.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Edward or Galuf as a Bard would be pretty awesome.

e: he could inflict disorienting status effects.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Arrrthritis posted:

Edward or Galuf as a Bard would be pretty awesome.

e: he could inflict disorienting status effects.

Galuf should be a Geomancer. They should also add Montblanc.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm curious who 13's Chaos rep would be. A Ruin-spamming Dysley? Caius, technically not being from the game be damned? Joke option Yaag Rosch, the Man Who Died Thrice?

Actually Cid might work if not for the name, and even that won't be an issue if they're throwing out the plot.

I'd say Caius is most likely followed by Cid and LR Snow

Dysley would be neat tho

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

AlphaKretin posted:

God or bust, man. Though that could be a huuuuge spoiler for those who weren't into the trilogy. But yeah, Caius and Evil Snow. Also Brynhildr maybe.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Baal posted:

My point is fan favorites and promoting new games gets in over who is possibly thematically appropriate since even in Dissidia's story mode character motivations got changed a lot for the sake of the story the game was trying to tell.

I don't really see that. Kain got into Duodecim, but he's a thematically appropriate foil for Cecil. Especially with the story they wanted to tell with him. Balthier didn't get in despite being far and away the fan favorite from FFXII. Same for Fran. The only proper example I can think of for a fan favorite getting in over a character with a proper relationship to the rest is Gilgamesh.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E:^^^ Nomura wanted Kain in from the original Dissidia IIRC. It's about them, not fans. We love Gilgamesh but he was put in for being a recurring character.

widespread posted:

God or bust, man. Though that could be a huuuuge spoiler for those who weren't into the trilogy. But yeah, Caius and Evil Snow. Also Brynhildr maybe.

Dissidia doesn't seem to have qualms with spoilers, what with every stage in the PSP games being the final dungeon and the presence of Cloud of Darkness and Ultimecia, but from what I've seen I don't think the Big B would be a particularly good option for a normal-sized humanoid fighting game fighter.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SonicRulez posted:

I don't really see that. Kain got into Duodecim, but he's a thematically appropriate foil for Cecil. Especially with the story they wanted to tell with him. Balthier didn't get in despite being far and away the fan favorite from FFXII. Same for Fran. The only proper example I can think of for a fan favorite getting in over a character with a proper relationship to the rest is Gilgamesh.

Kain is one of the most popular FFIV characters and Vaan is the face of FFXII. Like the entire Duodecim cast is fan favorites except Feral Chaos obviously

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Say, didn't Nomura want Sazh in 012? :getin:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sazh would be something alright

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

AlphaKretin posted:

E:^^^ Nomura wanted Kain in from the original Dissidia IIRC. It's about them, not fans. We love Gilgamesh but he was put in for being a recurring character.

Dissidia doesn't seem to have qualms with spoilers, what with every stage in the PSP games being the final dungeon and the presence of Cloud of Darkness and Ultimecia, but from what I've seen I don't think the Big B would be a particularly good option for a normal-sized humanoid fighting game fighter.

Point. Though the main badguy could pretty much be one of them AI controlled bosses. Or the loving tutorial levels since GOTTA HAVE LIGHTNIN' TEACH YA HOW TO PLAY.

So safe choices would definitely be Caius/Evil Snow. But my choice goes to Brynhildr.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How many characters are currently known? I could've sworn SE said they're planning on having like 50 characters for the endgame product.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tae posted:

How many characters are currently known? I could've sworn SE said they're planning on having like 50 characters for the endgame product.

A representative from each mainline game (except XV) plus Ramza so 15 right now.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 30, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tae posted:

15 currently - Warrior of Light, Firion, Onion Knight, Cecil, Bartz, Terra, Cloud, Squall, Zidane, Tidus, Shantoto, Lightning, Y'solta (spelling?) and Ramza.

[e]: Beaten.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 30, 2016

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

Superjoke option Jihl Nabaat

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Sabin and his attacks are mostly comprised of suplexing large things on people.

Sazh and Sabin, then Dissidia will be good again.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I picked up FF Explorers today and it seems cute and fun, but it's super easy. Maybe it's because I went back and the monsters are tuned early on for a white mage to slowly beat them to death? Things dying in one Explosive Fist combo is a bit much though. Still, as someone who never liked the plodding nature of MH, I do really like how Reesonance makes you rush around.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The world didn't need a photo realistic Shantotto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Obviously it will be Jihl, the character so awful she got casually killed by the real villain and was never spoken of again. And yet she was still given her own lovely DLC fight for the sequel.

Rosch at least had a personality.

Anyway, XIII Reps in order of likeliness:

Caius >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Barthandelus >>>>> everyone else

It wouldn't make any real sense, thematically. Caius and Lightning have pretty much no connection. But the dude is more popular than pretty much any other FFXIII-verse character.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 30, 2016