Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So my impatience caused a thing today.

I'm getting real close to 1000 qual and I'm sitting on a good bit of gold I don't plan on spending (I'm not buying any of the premiums till they go on sale, for the forseeable future at least). Figured I'd speed the process up a little... and got a 3 star repeat. Or course having to wait 2 more days for the next merit events was unacceptable, and I spent a bit more like a true goon.

:getin:

And yes I know on Monday we get a ton for fleet. I'm dumb and wanted it now.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Mazz posted:

It seems to be based entirely on performance, and it expects higher performance as you go up in tier. I would say the best place to get it right now is tier 5 and 6, but you really have to be in the top 3, perferably getting that MVP, as much as possible climb up, especially since the higher tiers you lose 10-20 renown at the start of every day. At tier 7 and 8 it can get really dumb because those 3v3 matches you often pull there isn't enough poo poo to shoot at to really get the renown the game expects you to, so you can lose some even on decent wins.

Playing boats that don't contribute much in the way of spotting or damage will cost you renown pretty often, yes. If you can get to the point you are getting MVP in tier 5 and 6 destroyers like 3 out of every 5 games you will climb fast.

Ah, I was worried this was the case. When I was still doing largely t4/t5 I was gaining much faster. The last couple of days I've been doing way more t5's and ignoring my weak or boring t6's (I-58, Wasp, Benson) that seem to be the main sources of my renown loss, so I guess I'll just keep that up and trying to avoid higher tier late night games. The Wasp because higher tier CV play is iffy and tends to be hugely one-sided, it's definitely not weak. When the first win of t5/t6 was giving 3x exp, and the 2nd 2x, I was making it a point to do every t5/t6 ship that I had until I got a win so I think that was part of my issue.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The CVs are an unknown factor but I see tryhard players grinding up them so who knows if they get good later.

I've been seeing more of them too. I think (like in real life) they are actually decently armoured or something, I was hitting the brit T5 CV early today with a maxed Atlanta and very few of my shots penetrated, out of 3 or 4 full volleys.

Panfilo posted:

How are the Brooklyn and the other high tier CLs? I feel like it's more prudent to stick with CAs. Brooklyn was a great DD killer in Navyfield, if it's as nice as the Atlanta it might be worth it.

I was going to ask this question as well, getting almost enough exp on my Northhampton so I can choose one to do first, but not sure which is better. I think CA works better because dunking DD's from 5km away is worth everything on any map, where as CL's have to get close and generally be within sight range. But maybe the Brooklyn is awesome, I dunno.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Until the games get bigger I'd probably avoid the 6+ CLs since you are going to be stuck with guns that shoot like 4km in games that aren't large enough to do anything in.

The New Orleans isn't bad from what I've seen, but again all the CL/CAs suffer from not being a BB or DD in games that are too small to do anything utility-wise. If you really want to play 7s and 8s you should wait until someone in another boat gets on for the platoon, it's infinitely less frustrating.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 28, 2016

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
What time zone is the challenge mode? I keep trying to get in but it always says it's not open yet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Playing it more, the Yubari is actually really good if you're careful with it. I just soloed an entire enemy team. SS, 2 DDs (one of them mag-detonated by HE), 2 Atlantas, and a Kongo. The shitter BB on my stupid team got 2 of the 'kills' by doing the last 10 damage to a sub and hitting the last Atlanta for 300 right as I was about to fire.

The 15 second reload on cruiser guns hurts a bit, though.

E: Having now soloed a second pub team in it and noticing I've gotten like 5 MVPs in 8 games, I can confirm the Yubari is either a really good boat or it just happens to click really nicely with me.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 28, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Matchmaking at tier 6 definitely starts to get pretty sparse. I'm focusing on tier 5 but I have so many ships to equip and elite out I'm practically broke.

I've thought about investing in a premium ship since I'm on the gold growth plan and still have tier 7 and 8 rewards to collect. The problem is a lot of the ships are quite pricey, though the Yubari does sound nice.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lee Outrageous posted:

What time zone is the challenge mode? I keep trying to get in but it always says it's not open yet.

Pretty sure all the times displayed are localized.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Found a real fun thing to do in lower tier games, as a DD.

Instead of smoking your position against BBs, just smoke like 2/3s of the way to them and steam at full speed. They either can't see you for the 30 seconds or have to turn into the smoke to see you earlier. I've been closing distance on so many people taking zero damage, including a full health Nagato in my Asashio.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I think the Yubari is my jam. Enemy Atlantas don't know what the gently caress to do about a boat with 700m more gun range than them and that goes 37 knots. Subs have a hard time with something that's roughly as agile as a destroyer and fast as hell. And the torps are just good enough to take out a BB if you can predict his movements (though obviously using CL torps as a primary armament is foolhardy).

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

Found a real fun thing to do in lower tier games, as a DD.

Instead of smoking your position against BBs, just smoke like 2/3s of the way to them and steam at full speed. They either can't see you for the 30 seconds or have to turn into the smoke to see you earlier. I've been closing distance on so many people taking zero damage, including a full health Nagato in my Asashio.

You should have asked me about this because I've been doing it forever. Its a part of a good op destroyer repertoire.

Here's how you kill any other ship in a destroyer. Load up on disguise and scout range. Shoot stuff at the edge of your gun range while pointing your bow away from your target. Steer left and right as they shoot, if they can even see you.

Smart players will try to ride you down in a fast cruiser or battleship. If you can't keep running, you turn without shooting, shoot smoke slightly ahead of them and then rush their face and launch torpedoes as you scream by them. I did this against Temeraire the 75% dark judge the other day.

Smoke blocks like 95% of spotting range or gives 95% disguise or something. It's incredibly good at blocking ship scouting. If nobody shoots, destroyers have to get right up to torp arming range to spot each other in smoke. Never ever travel towards a smoke cloud in a battleship because you will never spot anything in there before it spots you.

That being said, planes don't give a poo poo about smoke

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
You should show me, in your Kagero, while I play the SoDak

(Actually you don't have to do that since Panzeh will play his fletcher, get an 8 though)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

(Actually you don't have to do that since Panzeh will play his fletcher, get an 8 though)

I should let you know, I can't play 5v5s today either. Sunday tho!

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I like this game, but oh gently caress are the queues slow, even at starter level. I'm hoping they get better but I know I will be disappointed won't I?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Burt posted:

I like this game, but oh gently caress are the queues slow, even at starter level. I'm hoping they get better but I know I will be disappointed won't I?

Tier 3-5 (maybe 6) queues aren't too bad. Above tier 6 hahaha no.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I'm not nearly as skilled as Mazz but fortunately I get teamed up with slightly less retarded pubbies when pitted against each other.

The only handicap Mazz will give you is to team up with fourteen window lickers.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've applied to the fleet as ratchild13, if anyone could approve that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mazz posted:

Yeah a lot of my dodging in a DD is instinct though i'm still working on my skills. It's a lot of fun playing T8s with someone on teamspeak, though. Makes playing randoms a lot less fun.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Just caught the end of the Super Kita event, and it sucks because I won both as a challenger and as an overlord.

I'm pretty proud of the second one. But I guess it isn't hard when one of their BBs literally just sits dead still and fires secondaries, and the other ships were mediocre DDs.

Goon advice on using HE shells vs DDs was sound; even a single hit often crits and sets them ablaze. 2 or 3 can sink them. It was also incredibly fun using the Turbo Boost to ram into a destroyer head-on and knock off 80% of its health :getin:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just had a game where I got Sonar Expert in the I-14 solely by ramming 3 other subs to death.

I didn't hit with a single torpedo all game. Just rammed and rammed.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Night10194 posted:

I just had a game where I got Sonar Expert in the I-14 solely by ramming 3 other subs to death.

I didn't hit with a single torpedo all game. Just rammed and rammed.

The proper way to sub. Just like the proper way to anti-sub anything but giant Japanese subs as a DD is to ram them. Got two within a minute in a game a few days ago. I know that because I got a badge for it.

Little Abigail fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 30, 2016

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Let me join the kool kids klub, applied as xBurtx

Also whats the Mumble details?

Burt fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 30, 2016

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

So at tier 8 the Deutschland is basically like a tier 7 BB but a bit slower, without armor, and with half the guns removed. It even gets the comparatively low velocity guns like battleships just to hammer home how worthless it is. I think this is actually worse than the Emden, considering the other ships in their respective tiers.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 30, 2016

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Early fleet battles started! Get in game if you have a T4 Battleship or T3 destroyer!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Doesn't seem to be anyone there or in mumble.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Doesn't seem to be anyone there or in mumble.

Yeah, I tried, but it looks like there aren't enough people around today. We'll hit it later tonight instead.

dxpong
Sep 19, 2004
10/6
Requesting admittance into GOONS (TofuShinobi)

edit:thanks!

dxpong fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 30, 2016

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Burt posted:

Let me join the kool kids klub, applied as xBurtx

Also whats the Mumble details?

It's just CTS. Steel ocean is near the bottom.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's just CTS. Steel ocean is near the bottom.

I have no idea what CTS is?

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Burt posted:

I have no idea what CTS is?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
Fleet battle time shortly. We have 5 online now.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Fleet battles in a few minutes, we need a few more people at least, if we miss doing them tonight we could fall out of top 10 and that would be really dumb.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Those games were loving clutch. Good botefights, goons.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

When in doubt, throw more Goons at the enemy.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I was going to say how hard it is to carry in this game, same as WoWS but then I just saw a tier 2 destroyer get 7 kills in a match. I think it had a lot to do with the other team being bad but even so it was quite a game to just watch.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Burt posted:

I was going to say how hard it is to carry in this game, same as WoWS but then I just saw a tier 2 destroyer get 7 kills in a match. I think it had a lot to do with the other team being bad but even so it was quite a game to just watch.

When you're in t2-3 you can easily get 6-7 kills a game with a DD. It's awesome, but that's why they don't count kills/MVPs below tier 5 for rankings.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Also you are up against tier 2 BBs that tend to be the worst of the lot stat wise not to mention inexperienced or terrible players. Vs a DDs torp wave they are easy pickings.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Panfilo posted:

Also you are up against tier 2 BBs that tend to be the worst of the lot stat wise not to mention inexperienced or terrible players. Vs a DDs torp wave they are easy pickings.

Tier 2/3 BBs have negligable secondaries and are terrible at being aware of things. Tier 2/3 DDs tend to not use their guns enough or don't dodge much. Tier 2/3 cruisers are rear end.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Carrying in this game isn't too difficult once you figure out all the mechanics and such. It also depends on the tier and a lot on the boat you are in.

DDs are the easiest to carry in because you take the role of spotting everything for your team and killing subs. At tiers 1-3 you can quite literally just run around and shoot/torp everything because there is rarely good opposition (3 will have some, but the Fubuki is amazing). At tier 4-5+ it's all spotting and skirmishing with enemy DDs until they die and then spotting everything else for your BBs to kill. A lot of it comes with practice and requires picking up good crew on the way (get to tier 5 in different boat classes to get most of the important guys).

CA/BB can carry by just shooting really well when things get spotted. It's much harder to carry in these though because a good DD or sub will have you spotted for the enemy guns whereas you won't be able to do poo poo in return.

CVs can carry by being very good with torp bombers and using fighters/scouts to find and circle targets to keep them lit up. Generally difficult given the periodic nature of plane usage.

Subs can carry when the other team is dogshit. That's about it.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Anyone have interest in some tryhard 5v5 tonight?

Let me know, I'll be on around 9ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Let me know, I'll be on around 9ish

Eastern? I am down, and I'll give it 60/40 on availability.

In other news, I find I'm starting to max out the level for the US tree. Up to the Nevada on BBs, the Ranger on CVs, will buy the Porter once I have the silver. Subs seem to get demonstrably worse at higher levels and I don't enjoy them as much. Time to switch trees, and if so, to where? Japan seems the obvious choice, I've only done enough to get the Fubuki there. Are there gems lying in the British or German trees?

• Locked thread