Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

People are gonna complain JEJ sounds different and it's gonna get annoying
They wouldn't be wrong to complain tbh. He sounds awful in those clips.

EDIT: "Awful" may be exaggerating it but it's not great.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

levitating bodies to make human shields" in the battle sequences.

am i the only one bothered by so much overt use of magic force powers? like it feels so video gamey to me like. i accepted it during the prequels because it was the golden era of the jedi and i assumed it was one more of those everyone is doing it wrong things. but now everyone is ripping thoughts from minds and stopping blaster bolts and poo poo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hahaha, Tarkintown, that's great.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Raxivace posted:

They wouldn't be wrong to complain tbh. He sounds awful in those clips.

EDIT: "Awful" may be exaggerating it but it's not great.
Yeah kinda, but I assume with the budget of the movie they'll be able to record it and mix it better.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hahaha, Tarkintown, that's great.
Named that because Tarkin made all the people there homeless.
The show is alright, after the first few episodes it picks up and is good and fun. check it out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726842&pagenumber=1

E: vvv Yup

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 30, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'll check it out when I finish Clone Wars.

Tarkintown is great because it's a super obvious Hoovertown reference.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Frackie Robinson posted:

So it sounds like the concept of canon didn't really prevent all those different authors from doing their own thing. Like, there's some poor soul whose job it was to reconcile this all to a timeline, but for the most part everybody seemingly did their own thing and told stories they wanted to tell.

Actually, under Disney, there is now a committee called the Story Group who explicitly goes through and approves ever story idea in advance (and specifically commissions a lot of them) to prevent the need for Leland Chee to have to come through after the fact and make it all fit together.

The canon now is sooooo much more plotted out and pre-approved than it ever was pre-Disney.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Let's talk Gundam again. *insert groans here*

So, Gundam is a pretty big and convoluted franchises too. It has multiple timelines, with the biggest one being the first (the Universal Century or UC timeline). And they keep comig back to it, with novels, mangas, video games, radio dramas, plastic models of robots that weren't in the shows but apparently exist now, etc. And, of course, these things are all done by different people who don't really communicate with each other and so you end up with messes similar to the old Death Star plan joke. There's like a dozen super special Gundam prototypes running around during the one Year War instead of the one there used to be before, and new super aces and crucial battlefields keeps popping up. So, of course, the (tiny) western fanbase will often argue about what is canon or not and what should be canon or not and it's a pain. Now, how does the (bigger) japanese fanbase deals with it?

They don't give a poo poo.

See, the company that owns Gundam does not give a gently caress about continuity, as long as it sells plastic toys. That's where they make most of their money. So they don't have any actual official canon. Things that were animated are "Official" (whatever that means) and the rest is free for all. And so all these big technical manuals and backstory books all have their own version of the timeline and they'll often contradict each other but it's all good. They'll get some japanese sci-fi writer to do a series of novels set between some series and then years later they made a beautiful animated version of it and there wasn't this huge controversy about changing the canon.

Now, of course, there's plenty of toxic things going on in the japanese fanbase too, it's not perfect. But I do prefer that approach to canon.

(And then of course there's all the other unrelated timelines and then the series from 2000 that implies all series are in it's backstory somehow and ....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FPMNnYuoiw

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Now, how does the (bigger) japanese fanbase deals with it?

They don't give a poo poo.
The Story Group will assimilate this chaotic mess and make it right. Resistance is futile.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Elfgames posted:

am i the only one bothered by so much overt use of magic force powers? like it feels so video gamey to me like. i accepted it during the prequels because it was the golden era of the jedi and i assumed it was one more of those everyone is doing it wrong things. but now everyone is ripping thoughts from minds and stopping blaster bolts and poo poo

Comic Book Spoilers I actually thought the same thing when I read Vader Down. It felt like a bit much, almost Old Republic type stuff, where the force users are ridiculous, DBZ-type caricatures.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

(And then of course there's all the other unrelated timelines and then the series from 2000 that implies all series are in it's backstory somehow and ....)

Even with the Black History though, Tomino doesn't care at all about how much sense G Gundam existing in the same timeline as Gundam Wing and the other shows makes, or the specifics about how it works or whatever. It's done purely because 1) It's cool anyways and 2) To make a thematic point about how humanity is so violent that it will literally keep bombing itself back to the stone age, rebuilding itself, and then destroying itself over and over again.

A lot of Gundam is really cynical like that. I mean for god's sake, one of the show's stated backstories has humanity be so devastated by dumb star wars that it devolves into practicing cannibalism.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 30, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It appears that franchises that started as means to sell toys like Gundam usually have less fans spergin' about lore and continuity, or at least they are not as visible. Transformers is the same way too; most of its more serious fans are more concerned with what the next batch of figures will be like than any of the attached fiction. Star Wars started out as movies, so you get the whole Wookiepedia thing going on.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'd be so down with a Darth Vader as Jason Voorhees style horror movie/sequence.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

So that character is filling the Godzilla/Kaiju role. Down.

I was thinking that too, it's a perfect fit, really.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

2) To make a thematic point about how humanity is so violent that it will literally keep bombing itself back to the stone age, rebuilding itself, and then destroying itself over and over again.

A lot of Gundam is really cynical like that. I mean for god's sake, one of the show's stated backstories has humanity be so devastated by dumb star wars that it devolves into practicing cannibalism.

Though to be fair, Tomino's last two Gundams both had society reflecting on that past and choosing to reject war.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

jivjov posted:

Actually, under Disney, there is now a committee called the Story Group who explicitly goes through and approves ever story idea in advance (and specifically commissions a lot of them) to prevent the need for Leland Chee to have to come through after the fact and make it all fit together.

The canon now is sooooo much more plotted out and pre-approved than it ever was pre-Disney.

Well that doesn't sound like much fun...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

I'm sure that will work as well as the MCU's creative committee.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Its really super well plotted, which is why Dengar hunts down Luke on Nar Shadda where he is being trained by an undercover sith imperial spy guy in how to fight with a lightsaber after being captured by a Hutt who collects lightsabers & jedi holocrons who teaches luke to unlock the holocrons using the force & then fights him against a cyber-rancor & then han solo, chewie, and leia show up and throw dengar off a building & then they all get lightsabers from the hutt and rescue Luke after the empire uses an EMP so everyone has to use lightsabers its great trust me this is very well plotted

the comics are cool but have already reached 100% EU nonsense mode

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

He's not even explicitly saying "I was making up the father stuff as I went". Read it again:

Well, he really was making the father stuff up as he went in terms of how all the characters specifically related to each other. But the point is that the whole "tragic cyborg father" and "redemption of the villain" motifs weren't just some poo poo he made up after A New Hope. They really were a part of the orginal story. The thing about A New Hope is that he basically had to condense all the ideas from his massive rough draft into one movie and make sure it could more or less work as a stand-alone. In the third draft it's actually Ben Kenobi who is the cyborg. At that point Lucas was trying to trim down and condense the cast of characters, so he combined the cyborg father character and the Jedi teacher character into one:

The Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Starkiller, Third Draft posted:

LUKE
But the Sith Lords are involved! Whatever information this R-2 unit is carrying, it must be awfully important. They’re probably looking for him… I’m no match for the Sith. This is a Jedi’s work. This is your responsibility!

BEN
Not any more!

The old man suddenly ignites in a rage and swings his left forearm down across the solid metal table with a mighty blow. His arm cracks in two, spewing forth wires and electronic components.

BEN
I’m not the same. I’m too old. I’ve lost too much. You don’t seem to realize I’ve become an outlaw, to be hunted… and killed.

Luke bows his head in sorrow for one of the greatest warriors in the galaxy and a fallen idol.

In the various drafts, the cyborg motif tends to be linked to father figures, tragedy, and the fall of a hero from grace. It was in the next draft (the fourth) that the tragic cyborg motif finally came to be associated with the villain, Darth Vader:

The Making of Star Wars posted:

“The thing about Vader wasn’t really developed until the fourth draft, when I was sorting out Vader’s real character and who he was,” Lucas says. “The backstory is about Ben and Luke’s father and Vader, when they are young Jedi Knights. Vader kills Luke’s father, then Ben and Vader have a confrontation, just like they have in Star Wars, and Ben almost kills Vader. As a matter of fact, he falls into a volcanic pit and gets fried and is one destroyed being. That’s why he has to wear the suit with a mask, because it’s a breathing mask. It’s like a walking iron lung. His face is all horrible inside. I was going to have a close-up of Vader where you could see the inside of his face, but then we said, ‘No, no, it would destroy the mystique of the whole thing.’

“A machine is only as bad as the man that sits behind it,” he adds. “It’s an extension of mankind, and if it develops bad technology, it’s because the mind behind it was bad. Man’s relationship to machines is a theme that I have used in all my films, whether it’s a boy in a car or the robots in THX.”

You can see in this quote from a 1977 Rolling Stone interview that Lucas clearly refers to Vader and Luke's father as being separate individuals. Obviously, if Vader's true identity was really intended to be a plot twist in the sequel, he wouldn't have revealed it in an interview in 1977, so make of this what you will. Either way, it's clear that even at this point Vader's cyborg nature was intended as commentary on the ambivalent relationship between man and machine, just as it was in the earlier drafts.

And it's notable that at this point Luke's conception of his father has become an abstraction caught in the middle of a dichotomy between good and evil. One the one side, there is Ben Kenobi, who befriended Luke's father, and who went on to become a benevolently authoritarian figure in Luke's life. On the other side, there is Vader, who betrayed and murdered Luke's father, and who went on to become an oppressively authoritarian figure in Luke's life. Luke is caught in the middle of this Freudian struggle.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 30, 2016

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It's a good thing it evolved into what it did, because I think all these early scripts and notes suck more rear end than the EU did in its worst incarnations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
When you are writing a Star Wars story, you are invariably writing about reality using the metaphorical language of Star Wars.

For example: the various alien species in Star Wars represent minority groups as viewed by the white characters. We are not seeing an 'objective' depiction of a wookie but, rather, a subjective depiction of a human who is reduced to being a dog-man by the treatment of the white characters around him. A canon Star Wars story that just presents wookies as they 'objectively' are is, ironically, a highly unrealistic racist fantasy.

Another example: telekinesis in, as first introduced in The Empire Strikes Back, it is simply a metaphor for the development of habitual behaviors. Wax on, wax off:

"When freedom comes it is in the sphere of habit. … Here the body is no longer a foreign being, reacting belligerently against me; rather it is pervaded by soul and has become soul’s instrument and means; yet at the same time, in habit the corporeal self is understood as it truly is; body is rendered something mobile and fluid, able to express directly the inner movements of thought without needing to involve thereby the role of consciousness or reflection."
-Alain

In other words, Luke becomes a Jason Bourne sort of character, able to move fluidly through his surroundings. Very difficult, complex behaviors come 'naturally' to him, so it is as if the sword leaps into his hand, and objects obey his will. Luke embraces the environment around himself as an extension of his body. (Yoda simply uses this phenomenon to promote a New-Agey, panpsychist spiritualization/mystification of nature, where everything is 'pervaded by soul' and whatnot.)

A canon story that presents telekinesis as 'objective' is, again ironically, a wholehearted endorsement of the midichlorian concept and the inevitable specter of genetic modification that would lead to the creation of a master race of supermen.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
There's a pretty clear thread between the early draft Star Wars dialogue and the prequels. Lucas is at best a, uh, utilitarian writer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Like your rough drafts were even half as good.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jerkface posted:

Its really super well plotted, which is why Dengar hunts down Luke on Nar Shadda where he is being trained by an undercover sith imperial spy guy in how to fight with a lightsaber after being captured by a Hutt who collects lightsabers & jedi holocrons who teaches luke to unlock the holocrons using the force & then fights him against a cyber-rancor & then han solo, chewie, and leia show up and throw dengar off a building & then they all get lightsabers from the hutt and rescue Luke after the empire uses an EMP so everyone has to use lightsabers its great trust me this is very well plotted

the comics are cool but have already reached 100% EU nonsense mode

SMG would have a field day with the especially dumb Karbin, aka "Mon Calamari head plopped onto Grievous body".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I definitely recommend picking up the Annotated Screenplays book for the OT because while the "scripts" themselves are mostly transcriptions of what's on screen, the bulk of the book is taken up by descriptions of earlier drafts. It's clear that with the original Lucas was always chasing a pace and a rhythm more than any one character's story or a setting, so it's constantly shifting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Amazon is taking preorders for the Blu-Ray of Episode VII; $19.99 listed date of April 5th

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

jivjov posted:

Amazon is taking preorders for the Blu-Ray of Episode VII; $19.99 listed date of April 5th

I saw pre-order flyers at Wal-Mart and Target in the past week, too. DVD+BR combo for $24.99.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I'm not sure if this guy is worse than the guy with lightsabers in his knees.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

turtlecrunch posted:

I'm not sure if this guy is worse than the guy with lightsabers in his knees.

WHats even better about him is that he is part of a secret project by the Emperor to create these rivals for Vader that never show up or are mentioned in the movies despite being pretty big deals, and they were all created inside of a giant space whale flying around on the edge of the galaxy. :krad:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Corek posted:

SMG would have a field day with the especially dumb Karbin, aka "Mon Calamari head plopped onto Grievous body".

I said this before but I was incredibly disappointed when I got to the last panel and found that this wasn't just a contrived setup for an "It's a trap" joke.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I definitely recommend picking up the Annotated Screenplays book for the OT because while the "scripts" themselves are mostly transcriptions of what's on screen, the bulk of the book is taken up by descriptions of earlier drafts. It's clear that with the original Lucas was always chasing a pace and a rhythm more than any one character's story or a setting, so it's constantly shifting.

I really would like to, but it seems to be long out of print. The "Making of" books seem to contain a lot of the same information, but I still wish I could get The Annotated Screenplays.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Corek posted:

That's a very good example of an insanely bad character design that would have been instantly vetoed for the prequels. But it is a useful contrast to what the prequels do so well, because we already have a design that combines the traits of Ackbar with those of another character: Nute Gunray.

Nute of course combines Ackbar's stodgy obliviousness with Lando's in-over-his-head gambler type. And there's an obvious reason for this: Lando was paired with Ackbar in Episode 6, so that Ackbar could serve as a foil. Collapsing the two into a single character, to emphasize their worst traits, makes total sense.

In any case, they didn't create Nute by simply dressing Ackbar in Lando's clothes. They gave Nute tacky ethnic garb equivalent to Lando's ostentatious gold cape.

What we get with this Karbine character is Nute and Grievous scrubbed of all subtext and halfassedly smacked together. Greivous was already a wannabe-Jedi, so this guy is a wannabe-wannabe.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Whoa these guys mean business, I wonder if Vader will survive :ohdear:

Corek fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 31, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
http://givenclarity.tumblr.com/post/136873222541/im-not-in-denial-youre-in-denial

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
we dont need a newer character to combine Lando and Ackbar, because we have a character who has traits of Lando, Ackbar, Han, and Artoo: Jabba "The Hutt" Jaloppi

E: having thought about it, you could replace every star wars protagonist with Lumbacca (Lumpy), the most versatile SW character.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 31, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Do you even know what you are against at this point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There was a rumor that Ford was signing on for Episode VIII but I feel like that's just going to be for like a quick flashback or a short voice over or something. Or probably something like Alien 3 where they want to use his likeness for a picture or whatever for two seconds but want to take a fresh head shot of him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"Leia, I'm happier then I've been in years."

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Corek posted:

Whoa these guys mean business, I wonder if Vader will survive :ohdear:

Looking at this again I realize that the artist apparently thought Grievous' body was too hard to draw so now Fake-Ackbar just has normal legs

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

There was a rumor that Ford was signing on for Episode VIII but I feel like that's just going to be for like a quick flashback or a short voice over or something. Or probably something like Alien 3 where they want to use his likeness for a picture or whatever for two seconds but want to take a fresh head shot of him.

And he'll make eight hundred million dollars for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Are we looking at his busted up robo-body on the ground in that?

• Locked thread