Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

no sir, in this thread we grog over our totally original OC's (do not steal) :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
My friends and I are heavy board game players but never really got into the roleplaying scene. We ran a campaign of EotE last year and it was OK but hard to get people in to the game. The GM was also very inexperienced so that didn't help much. We are starting a new campaign today with myself (never been a GM before) and the former GM co-GMing with 6 more players. Any advice for running character creation tonight? I feel this will be the best time to get people into the feel of the game and invested in their characters. Last time was a bit of a free for all making characters so I want it to be more streamlined and structured.

We have access to EotE and AoR core rulebooks if that changes anything. We may play a short game after making characters but I kind of want to hold off on that until I learn the systems a bit more.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Radioactive Toy posted:

My friends and I are heavy board game players but never really got into the roleplaying scene. We ran a campaign of EotE last year and it was OK but hard to get people in to the game. The GM was also very inexperienced so that didn't help much. We are starting a new campaign today with myself (never been a GM before) and the former GM co-GMing with 6 more players. Any advice for running character creation tonight? I feel this will be the best time to get people into the feel of the game and invested in their characters. Last time was a bit of a free for all making characters so I want it to be more streamlined and structured.

We have access to EotE and AoR core rulebooks if that changes anything. We may play a short game after making characters but I kind of want to hold off on that until I learn the systems a bit more.

Get OggDude's character creation program off the FFG boards. That'll take care of all the heavy lifting of chargen and let players and the GM focus on the story, not the math of "how much do I have to pay for a 2nd rank in Gunnery?"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Get OggDude's character creation program off the FFG boards. That'll take care of all the heavy lifting of chargen and let players and the GM focus on the story, not the math of "how much do I have to pay for a 2nd rank in Gunnery?"

Do this AND consider printing out the extra beginner game character folios from the FFG website. You can't really use them instead of character generation, but they may provide a firm basis for people who aren't used to that degree of freedom.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
First make sure they spend all their starting XP on stats, then skills- that means no time spent rooting through talent trees.

Then you can try and link the PCs together- when they pick career skills, try having them explain the circumstances they met one other PC in and give that PC a free rank in one of their career skills. E.g. Scoundrel picks Stealth, goes "We met when we tried hiding under the same table in a barfight" (a link that uses Stealth) and gives the other PC a free rank in it. Or "He hired me to fix up his ship" or "We were both hired for a bank job by the same Hutt", that kind of thing.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

jivjov posted:

homullus posted:

Do this AND consider printing out the extra beginner game character folios from the FFG website. You can't really use them instead of character generation, but they may provide a firm basis for people who aren't used to that degree of freedom.

Talkie Toaster posted:

First make sure they spend all their starting XP on stats, then skills- that means no time spent rooting through talent trees.

Then you can try and link the PCs together- when they pick career skills, try having them explain the circumstances they met one other PC in and give that PC a free rank in one of their career skills. E.g. Scoundrel picks Stealth, goes "We met when we tried hiding under the same table in a barfight" (a link that uses Stealth) and gives the other PC a free rank in it. Or "He hired me to fix up his ship" or "We were both hired for a bank job by the same Hutt", that kind of thing.

These are all super helpful, thanks guys. I love the idea of just giving people a free career skill. I think picking career skills and gear took the longest the last time we tried this and the gear was a nightmare with so many people trying to look through the items at once.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Radioactive Toy posted:

These are all super helpful, thanks guys. I love the idea of just giving people a free career skill. I think picking career skills and gear took the longest the last time we tried this and the gear was a nightmare with so many people trying to look through the items at once.

Ugh gear

Don't let them pick gear to start. Let them pick gear with the money they made after the session. If they've never played, they don't know what's good in gear anyway.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What would the best career/specialization for a grim, chain smoking, human reporter who is always hiding from the Empire while writing pieces about their atrocities? Politico and something?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What would the best career/specialization for a grim, chain smoking, human reporter who is always hiding from the Empire while writing pieces about their atrocities? Politico and something?

Diplomat/Propagandist.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So while I was out at one of my FLGSes, I picked up what is purported to be The World's Greatest Screen. I've constantly lamented that the official FFG screens are a little bit lacking in terms of what they choose to include on them, so I'm planning on putting together four landscape 8.5"x11" reference sheets to put on the inside of my screen.

Suggestions or recommendations on what to include?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

So while I was out at one of my FLGSes, I picked up what is purported to be The World's Greatest Screen. I've constantly lamented that the official FFG screens are a little bit lacking in terms of what they choose to include on them, so I'm planning on putting together four landscape 8.5"x11" reference sheets to put on the inside of my screen.

Suggestions or recommendations on what to include?

The things I found myself looking up repeatedly (that aren't on the screens) were:
Base characteristics for each skill (and what each party member rolls for them)
Conditions
Equipment the party had that wasn't on the screen
Vehicle rules
Rules for modifications

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

:ducksiren::siren:Base characteristics for each skill (and what each party member rolls for them):siren::ducksiren:

This was the first loving table I generated. Holy poo poo, why is this not on the official screens? It's just such a handy reference, plus its great for when you decide to do something weird like make a skill check using skill ranks plus a different characteristic.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

homullus posted:

The things I found myself looking up repeatedly (that aren't on the screens) were:
Base characteristics for each skill (and what each party member rolls for them)
Conditions
Equipment the party had that wasn't on the screen
Vehicle rules
Rules for modifications

On the subject of skills: Social/awareness skills, and what they are opposed by.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In other FFG news..apparently the books (and everything else from the company) are street-dated now. Speculation on the FFG forums is that this has to do with their recent merger into Asmodee. While I'm okay with this in concept (having a hard 'release date' on a book is pretty neat), my Bothan spy friend who works at a gamestore is telling me that FFG is refusing to ship things early out of fear that stores will sell them early. So the street-date isn't even a guarantee that the book will be available at retail that date.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

In other FFG news..apparently the books (and everything else from the company) are street-dated now. Speculation on the FFG forums is that this has to do with their recent merger into Asmodee. While I'm okay with this in concept (having a hard 'release date' on a book is pretty neat), my Bothan spy friend who works at a gamestore is telling me that FFG is refusing to ship things early out of fear that stores will sell them early. So the street-date isn't even a guarantee that the book will be available at retail that date.

I've seen this mentioned a few times, but I can't find anywhere where street dates are listed. Not on FFG's website, nor retailers. I work in a retail industry where street dates and on-sale dates are a strict fact of life, but they are always forward facing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I've never GM'd before but me and my friends have always wanted to play an RPG around the table. We tried a generic fantasy but it was to hard for most to get invested in. Another friend tried running a Dark Heresy game but the issue there was not enough people were familiar with the setting.

So I thought I might try my hand at something but I never thought a SW RPG would exist. Are the beginner boxes really all I need or would I/we benefit from having a core book too? I was thinking of picking up both EE and AR boxes, I feel like most would enjoy the bounty hunter aspect of EE but they might like to lead in to AR.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ijyt posted:

So I've never GM'd before but me and my friends have always wanted to play an RPG around the table. We tried a generic fantasy but it was to hard for most to get invested in. Another friend tried running a Dark Heresy game but the issue there was not enough people were familiar with the setting.

So I thought I might try my hand at something but I never thought a SW RPG would exist. Are the beginner boxes really all I need or would I/we benefit from having a core book too? I was thinking of picking up both EE and AR boxes, I feel like most would enjoy the bounty hunter aspect of EE but they might like to lead in to AR.

The beginner boxes are all you'll really need for the first session or two as long as you're fine using pregenerated characters. The AoR beginner box adventure is generally seen as better than the EotE one though.. it's more of a story and less of a blatant tutorial quest than EotE.

The core books are fantastic though and chock full of amazing art and production quality. They're also expensive, so maybe wait until you get a session or two in before deciding to buy one of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times, but I can't find anywhere where street dates are listed. Not on FFG's website, nor retailers. I work in a retail industry where street dates and on-sale dates are a strict fact of life, but they are always forward facing.

Yeah, when I saw the FFG forums talking about it, the first thing I did was reach out to my buddy at the shop. Maybe they're hoping to tighten up the shipping delays and whatnot before the make a wide announcement about street dates?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Drone posted:

The beginner boxes are all you'll really need for the first session or two as long as you're fine using pregenerated characters. The AoR beginner box adventure is generally seen as better than the EotE one though.. it's more of a story and less of a blatant tutorial quest than EotE.

The core books are fantastic though and chock full of amazing art and production quality. They're also expensive, so maybe wait until you get a session or two in before deciding to buy one of them.

Thanks! I also made the terrible mistake of reading the OP then skipping to the last page, as I just noticed the last few pages have people a lot of neat info and in similar situations to me :v:

I will likely get both boxes, a straight forward tutorial is what some of the people in my group need before the mechanics of a game click. I just wish anything from FFG that wasn't X-Wing or Armda was actually in stock in the UK.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
The FoD beginner box gets a bad rap, but if you download the free continuation PDF Lure of the Lost it explains what is happening underneath the abandoned Jedi temple and makes things quite a bit more interesting. Then you can run the Mountaintop Rescue part a little more freeform (it is very railroaded as written) and transition seamlessly into Lure of the Lost.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I don't really want to jump straight into Jedi stuff to be honest, and by the way the OP phrases it it seems like you can transition between the three games fairly easily, which might be more interesting to have a force-sensitive character (if they make one) develop over time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ijyt posted:

I don't really want to jump straight into Jedi stuff to be honest, and by the way the OP phrases it it seems like you can transition between the three games fairly easily, which might be more interesting to have a force-sensitive character (if they make one) develop over time.

The three games are entirely compatible and nearly identical, with the central difference being that each has a mechanic for making a character a Jedi (morality), a Rebel (duty), or somebody who lives on the edge of the Empire (obligation) at heart. They have different bad guys, some different gear, and some different info on the galaxy in each core book, but they are largely the same game.

I think Edge of the Empire is easily the best "setting" though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

homullus posted:

The three games are entirely compatible and nearly identical, with the central difference being that each has a mechanic for making a character a Jedi (morality), a Rebel (duty), or somebody who lives on the edge of the Empire (obligation) at heart. They have different bad guys, some different gear, and some different info on the galaxy in each core book, but they are largely the same game.

I think Edge of the Empire is easily the best "setting" though.

I dont know if thats the right word for it but I find it easier as a GM to have that as the baseline for the game and using it to insert Rebellion/Jedi Bullshit(TM) into the game as part of the narrative. also Obligation is just the best of those 3 systems personally.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I think the best way to use the 3 systems is Duty/Obligation for everyone, and jedi characters get Duty/Obligation + Morality. Morality on its own seems kind of weak.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm thinking of running something fun and easy for some friends on a weekly basis. Nothing too deep as far as story goes. Since not everybody can make it all the time I'm thinking of just doing it as if they're all rebel operatives and they get some shoot 'em up blast the stormtroopers rescue the princess type missions and whoever is around is who will run the mission. So would it make sense to just cut out the whole Duty thing entirely?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

I just finished running the EOTE Beginner Box, and I think it went pretty well. After dealing with the tutorial Gamorreans, the players immediately split the party to get the McGuffin and get the docking clamps released at the same time. After that, they fought the stormtroopers in the marketplace around the water tower. Grenades were thrown, the tower came down, and they easily handled the remaining stormtroopers that weren't crushed under it. They then lied their way into the landing bay, and told Trex that they had been sent to install the HMRI. Failed the roll, so Trex said, "Nah, you're not coming on my ship. Give me the part and I'll install it myself."

They actually handed it over and tried to backstab him when he turned to go back onto the ship, but missed again, and combat started. The party wiped the floor with the security droids while Trex fled inside, and now (due to some advantages triggering an errant blaster bolt hitting some wires in the ship) Trex is trapped in a turbolift between the Krayt Fang's top and bottom decks. So with all the baddies killed, the party took the ship and flew off into the binary sunset. The problem is that Trex still has the HMRI and during the droid firefight the PCs generated a huge pile of Threats which I used as "something happens off-screen."

So at the end of the adventure the party has a non-hyperspace-capable ship, a deactivated security droid, and a very angry Trandoshan bounty hunter stuck(?) in an elevator on the ship with the one part they need to get out of the system.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm thinking of running something fun and easy for some friends on a weekly basis. Nothing too deep as far as story goes. Since not everybody can make it all the time I'm thinking of just doing it as if they're all rebel operatives and they get some shoot 'em up blast the stormtroopers rescue the princess type missions and whoever is around is who will run the mission. So would it make sense to just cut out the whole Duty thing entirely?

It makes as much sense as cutting out all the Knowledge skills. You can do it to streamline things, but if what you want is to streamline things, I don't know that this game system is what you'd want anyway. It's fun, yes, but easy? Not so sure. Nothing will break if you decide to just have them gain greater standing in the Rebellion when you think it's appropriate, though (which is what Duty/Contribution does).

Moose King posted:

So at the end of the adventure the party has a non-hyperspace-capable ship, a deactivated security droid, and a very angry Trandoshan bounty hunter stuck(?) in an elevator on the ship with the one part they need to get out of the system.

Sounds like it's being played as intended.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
So I've started building campaign ideas for a monster of the week/tv episode style game, and I could use some inspiration. The idea is that the party are a bunch of explorers on a clone war era isd (I forget what they were called) that has been retrofitted for deep space exploration and colony seeding. They get shot off into Unknown Space by the powers that be, and poo poo happens.
(This starts part-Ep3, pre-Ep4)

I realize this is super uncanon and whatever, but of the whole group playing, only two of us are really nerdy about star wars, and neither of us give a crap. We just want star wars flavored farscape adventures, basically.

My question is, do any of you have any good plot hooks/EU nonsense that goes down outside of the main or even fringe systems? I'm cool with making poo poo up as I go, but having actual stuff already baked in is cool too.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Obligatory yuuzhan vong mention.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Tekopo posted:

Obligatory yuuzhan vong mention.

Well yeah, I'm keeping them and Thrawn in my back pocket because duh.

e: Also the stupid force sensitive planet, but that one mainly just because it's :psyduck:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dimo ArKacho posted:

So I've started building campaign ideas for a monster of the week/tv episode style game, and I could use some inspiration. The idea is that the party are a bunch of explorers on a clone war era isd (I forget what they were called) that has been retrofitted for deep space exploration and colony seeding. They get shot off into Unknown Space by the powers that be, and poo poo happens.
(This starts part-Ep3, pre-Ep4)

I realize this is super uncanon and whatever, but of the whole group playing, only two of us are really nerdy about star wars, and neither of us give a crap. We just want star wars flavored farscape adventures, basically.

My question is, do any of you have any good plot hooks/EU nonsense that goes down outside of the main or even fringe systems? I'm cool with making poo poo up as I go, but having actual stuff already baked in is cool too.

Vaguely the same idea was explored by the Outbound Flight project (see: Heir to the Empire, and the eponymous follow-up novel by Timothy Zahn)... basically a large expedition out into the Unknown Regions / outside the edge of the galaxy. It didn't actually do anything like what you want though, but the Republic definitely did dispatch stuff out into the unknown before its death.

The good thing about the Unknown Regions is that, well... they're unknown. You can do whatever crazy stuff you want to with them. Their hyperspace routes are uncharted and unstable, so you can definitely lose yourself there. Maybe you run into remnants of stuff from Star Wars's past (maybe there are some survivors from the KOTOR-era Sith Empire out there? Or giant monsters created by Sith alchemy like the Leviathans?), or potentially stuff from its no-longer-canon future (Killiks, an advance Yuuzhan Vong scout outpost, the Chiss Ascendency).

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
I like flavor of the week story telling, here are a few ideas:

If you like going on the darker side of things you could have a shipwrecked jedi apprentice who is cruelly lording over a civilization of natives as a tyrant.

They could come across a lost fleet of clones and their jedi general who don't know the war is over and never activated order 66.

You can do a long forgotten temple of the B'omarr Oder (buildings like the one Jabba is squatting in at the start of ROTJ) full of indiana jones-esque traps and treasures.

A colony of CIS droids who went awol from the fighting and have settled down to live in robotic peace and are wary of meatbags discovering their utopia.

A terracotta army of mandalore from the jedi-mandalorian wars that is awoken by the players by mistake and has to be stopped before it invades the outer rim.

They find their own ship adrift and decompressed in space and have to piece together what happened to themselves and stop the future from repeating (this is way more star trek then star wars).

A xeno lose on the ship.

Everyone is captured and forced to fight in a gladiator style arena against a star wars monster like a rancor for the amusement of an alien emperor.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
A friend of mine has decided to run a game starting a few years before Force Awakens, the hook is we're smuggling massive quantities of an industrial catalyst from Coruscant orbit to a random location in space. I'm guessing we'll figure there's some kind of big project and either join the Resistance or try to get mad rich off it.

The funny part is she's clearly decided that we're going to run into Poe at some point, because she has four printed out and laminated photos of Oscar Isaac doing various expressions presumably so we get the full charm of Poe and honestly there's not a single part of this game I'm not looking forward to.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I don't think that's going to be enough to get the full charm of Poe Dameron.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Just make sure to cue up Poe's theme for every appearance.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Hey all, quick plug: My Roll20/Google Hangouts EotE game, 'Look Sharp, Be Sharp, Go Empire', is recruiting for a couple more players (some people had to drop due to changing schedules), and it'd be awesome if we could get a few more Goons on board for the game. The games are usually every other Friday starting at 5:30pm Pacific Time, with the next scheduled game being February 12th.

The quick campaign pitch is that you're Imperial Soldiers serving om the Outer Rim, fighting pirates, hunting Rebels, and spreading the good word of Palpatine to the galactic masses. My party has just been captured by an Imperial defector turned Rebel flying a wildly experimental stealth Gladiator Star Destroyer, so it'd be a great time to jump into the action :) . The game recruitment/character thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755174&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 . If you're interested please post there, we communicate via the thread and post adventure summaries.

Let me know if you have any questions, love to see some people apply :) . Thanks!

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
You can pilfer the old WEG stuff for weirdness, like Creatures of the Galaxy; the Darkstryder story also had lots of crazy poo poo happening in the rear end-end of nowhere.

Darkstryder:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I have been designated our group's pilot. I have an agility of 2 and no actual training in either piloting skill.

What could possibly go wrong?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Corbeau posted:

I have been designated our group's pilot. I have an agility of 2 and no actual training in either piloting skill.

What could possibly go wrong?

Making a basic maneuver in an Asteroid Belt, that's what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Well, the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are faaaaaaaaaaaaart

In your groups case though, without a dedicated pilot character, if I were the GM I'd just handwave piloting and exclude space combat altogether.