Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I like the Pursuer fights, he's a total chump that's worth a lot of souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

He's a mook with too much health currently and I want him to gently caress off so I can get through an area.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I learned that persuer invasions were a thing when I walk through an entry way and then I had a blue sword in my back :(

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I love how the Pursuer starts off this big bad threat but over the course of the game becomes a simple nuisance.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Also the easiest enemy to parry in the whole game. Still, is a drat hard fight if you don't know that and try to fight it the normal way with a fresh character and low AGI, also never try to dodge backwards or to a side the impaling attack, it has a silly hitbox.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I love how the Pursuer starts off this big bad threat but over the course of the game becomes a simple nuisance.

I love how he can be knocked down by explosives in the environment. And how he can swing for them. :v:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
He drops a Twinkling Titanite every time you kill him at least, so he's good for something other than just being annoying.

Also the mook versions are a lot weaker than the ones in FoFG.

(The Ruin Sentinels in the castle are much stronger than the boss ones though)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My favorite part of fighting the Pursuer is when the host shoots the ballista while you're still within range of getting hit with it

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

My favorite part of fighting the Pursuer is when the host shoots the ballista while you're still within range of getting hit with it

this is even funnier when you shoot the host

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fool_of_sound posted:

this is even funnier when you shoot the host

Host dies, run up to where he died, do the shrug gesture

It's perfect

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Does using spices lower damage on spells? It doesn't seem like it should but I don't want to screw myself

Like who actually gets 64 int for soul geyser

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I was so traumatized the first time I did that to someone I stopped co-oping Pursuer for a while in case the same guy summoned me again.

Salean posted:

Does using spices lower damage on spells? It doesn't seem like it should but I don't want to screw myself

Nope.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Salean posted:

You'll still have lower magic attack than you would if you met the requirements, but nothing besides that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Salean posted:

It doesn't lower the base damage for spells, no, but since the associated stat will be lower it will do less damage. If you eventually did raise your int to 64 it would do the same damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RyokoTK posted:

It doesn't lower the base damage for spells, no, but since the associated stat will be lower it will do less damage. If you eventually did raise your int to 64 it would do the same damage.

Spells like Homing Soul Mass will fire fewer projectiles too until you bring your stats up to speed.

Dark Greatsword's cool but who's going to put that much in just for that, geez.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

You'll still have lower magic attack than you would if you met the requirements, but nothing besides that.

And the duration for some spells will also be shorter as a result.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The whole spice system is dumb and I won't be sorry if it doesn't return. It is basically just an excuse to give otherwise decent spells excessive stat requirements, I guess so that players aren't able to have more than a couple high-level spells without pissing away souls on levels well past the scaling soft cap. But as there's no reason at all to stop leveling, one can piss away as much as one has time to. The few spells which would actually be useful for a build that isn't really magic focused, like weapon buffs and utility spells, were specifically patched to be almost uselessly brief if you spice them down more than a couple of levels. Even then it could still have been a useful system if there were any real reason to keep your level low, but there isn't. Pretty much its only function is to save you time grinding your INT/FTH up, but that problem could be solved just as well by giving spells less asinine stat requirements to begin with.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Nah, he's sought out for harvest later on :unsmigghh:

The caster game started going pretty well once I got a few more spells and manned up. My AGI rank is 100+ just because of attunement being so important to cover for my lovely STR/DEX rating with more spells (2x tiny blue balls, 2x big black balls, 1x whatever), but I still need the higher-stat roll since pretty much everything runs at you and I've gotta roll-dodge-cast-cast over and over and over. Most of what I'm doing is mashing R1, except for Skeleton Lords. I had enough trouble with the necromancer cave and dragged a summon guy along.

Pushing INT to the sky's limit and FTH to 20 (almost there), otherwise it's poorly planned amusement and low HP.

E: Iron Keep's Armor Dennis appearance :argh:
Had to look for an easy answer since this was impossible for my build: Maybe everyone here already does it, but he'll circle strafe you at the bonfire below the bridge and just stand on the burning rock until he dies

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 30, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Nothing is impossible if you parry ---> Dagger hard enough!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I am bad at parry :smith:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

I love how the Pursuer starts off this big bad threat but over the course of the game becomes a simple nuisance twinkling titanite dispenser.
Fixed that for you.

Friend and I have been cooping Scholar, and despite neither of us having any use for the twinkling, we're still taking every opportunity to smack that pinata for the sake of it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

I am bad at parry :smith:
I would be too if the Buckler didn't exist. You might not have enough Dex, granted...anyway, practice makes perfect ;). I can only continue to emphasize that parry shouldn't be the "only real pros do this crazy tactic!!!" strategy, it's not that hard to do, and it can save your rear end in so many ways. Spear Heide Knights? The fucker with the Greatsword in front of the Chariot? Forlorn loving you up with their scythey ways? Buckler, Dagger, gently caress em.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So is starting to summon a co-op partner, aggro'ing all the spider and farmer enemies and then ducking into the Freyja's fog door so the partner has to fight the entire map before he can safely join you some kind of meta-game prank, because it happened to me twice last night.

I had some weird lag issues last night, too, but the first was the weirdest. The host and I killed a desert sorceress in Earthen peak. Her life bar empty and her death animation started, and then she went right into an attack animation and hit me, immediately resumed her death animation, and then immediately attacked and killed me with no kind of lag time, then died for real as I dissolved.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Simply Simon posted:

I would be too if the Buckler didn't exist. You might not have enough Dex, granted...anyway, practice makes perfect ;). I can only continue to emphasize that parry shouldn't be the "only real pros do this crazy tactic!!!" strategy, it's not that hard to do, and it can save your rear end in so many ways. Spear Heide Knights? The fucker with the Greatsword in front of the Chariot? Forlorn loving you up with their scythey ways? Buckler, Dagger, gently caress em.

I should look into it. I recently hit 30ATT/40INT/20FTH/18ADP, so I'm starting to sprinkle levels into VIT while raising STR/DEX to 10 each at least. Used to using an ultra greatsword, so it's really cramped feeling to launch single attacks instead of killing swarms in 1-3 swipes.

As for Heide spear knights, I prefer rolling beside them and backstabbing (or poison arrows, because gently caress you, spear guy). The sword guys have a nice huge parry window if you can remember they stall their arms in the air like Sir Alonne and Ivory King. Soon as I think I've got it down, the sword knights cut me down like chaff though sigh:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Simply Simon posted:

Nothing is impossible if you parry ---> Dagger hard enough!

One of the unimportant questions I've had about DS2. Why the hell are the plain vanilla dagger and Shortsword of all things "You get ONE," per NG status, unless you pick a class that starts with one?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Section Z posted:

One of the unimportant questions I've had about DS2. Why the hell are the plain vanilla dagger and Shortsword of all things "You get ONE," per NG status, unless you pick a class that starts with one?

It just seems like an oversight or something. Like they thought it was such a generic weapon that why would anyone want two?

Yet you can get two broken straightswords.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I was running around in an area of No-Man's Wharf I'd never been to before, turned the corner, and ran into a giant armoured thing and reflexively stabbed the poo poo out of it.

It said "you strong!" and then pulled out two gigantic axes and chased me halfway across the level. I think I just aggroed some total shitkicker of an NPC. Is there any way to make peace with it? Will it become friendly again if I leave it alone for a while, or if it kills me?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That sounds like Gavlan, I believe? Did this NPC have a huge beard and an ale mug when you first met them? If so, you really really do not want him dead, because (like Frampt in DS1) he's the guy who will give you souls in exchange for dumping unused items on him. De-aggroing him is somewhat involved, as it sounds like you're at an early point in the game and thus you haven't met DS2's equivalent of Oswald. How much of a roadmap would you like, if any?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

ToxicFrog posted:

I was running around in an area of No-Man's Wharf I'd never been to before, turned the corner, and ran into a giant armoured thing and reflexively stabbed the poo poo out of it.

It said "you strong!" and then pulled out two gigantic axes and chased me halfway across the level. I think I just aggroed some total shitkicker of an NPC. Is there any way to make peace with it? Will it become friendly again if I leave it alone for a while, or if it kills me?

You motherfucker

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
You done hosed up.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
This is what happens when the thread title gets changed

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I went back to see if it he was non-hostile again, and he wasn't, so I ran back downstairs and closed the door.

So he jumped out the window :gonk:

NGDBSS posted:

That sounds like Gavlan, I believe? Did this NPC have a huge beard and an ale mug when you first met them? If so, you really really do not want him dead, because (like Frampt in DS1) he's the guy who will give you souls in exchange for dumping unused items on him. De-aggroing him is somewhat involved, as it sounds like you're at an early point in the game and thus you haven't met DS2's equivalent of Oswald. How much of a roadmap would you like, if any?

Yep, that's him. gently caress. :suicide:

And yeah, I'm pretty early on -- SL50, just summoned the ghost ship in No-Man's Wharf. I found the shortcut from Forest of Giants to Lost Bastille but haven't really started exploring the Bastille yet. Some idea of how far away I am from Oswald 2, what area I'm looking for, and how to find them once I'm there would be great.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

"Oswald 2", so to speak, is in an entirely different branch of the game. You can get there by checking out the Shaded Ruins (from the hub in Majula) and unpetrifying/interacting with the NPC in your way. From there, continue on the path (it's a bit of a journey) until just after you fight DS2's equivalent of Pinwheel. You'll know it when you see it. Oswald's equivalent is nearby.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

YOU WHEEL
YOU DEAL

I'm sorry that happened though, that's totally unfortunate. Although you describing him as some sorta iron golem is kinda hilarious.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I accidentally attack Gavlan every time I see him for the first time in the Wharf. Luckily I haven't yet done enough to aggro him.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I accidentally attack Gavlan every time I see him for the first time in the Wharf. Luckily I haven't yet done enough to aggro him.
YOU WEAK

that's a good PvP vid

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hardest part of playing Dark Souls 2 right now is I'm playing Dragon's Dogma at the same time and stuff like the run/jump orientation are almost exactly reversed, like I keep pressing in on the stick to start running.

How high should my attack stack be by level 100 to feel like I'm not a chump? I've got a +10 halberd right now with 28 strength and 20 Dex with the attack rating is 443 before things like Magic Weapon.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

443 AR is pretty good for an uninfused weapon but fair for an infused one, so knowing which you're using will be helpful. Also I hope you've gotten a sense of how to use the sweet spot? I never could.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Oh, it's uninfused. I was wanting to use halberds and sorcery more with this guy since they were tools I sorely neglected in all my earlier playthroughs. I suppose I should think about infusing for it or the Dragonrider's Halberd. Was it Enchanted or Magic that's superior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i lost 30k souls to that suicide bomber thing after that boss fight in the hallway before the bonfire in the lost bastille

it severely hurt my butt