Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

divabot posted:

Instead, I know of nobody bothering with Aurini of late. However! Our esteemed colleague HBomberGuy has a new video out on the alt-right reaction to Star Wars!

I want to watch this, but I also don't want my Youtube front page to be wall-to-wall Sargon of Akkad and other Twitter jagoffs, so I'm at an impasse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Antivehicular posted:

I want to watch this, but I also don't want my Youtube front page to be wall-to-wall Sargon of Akkad and other Twitter jagoffs, so I'm at an impasse.

Open it in a chrome incognito window?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You can also delete videos in your watch history.

Davis Aurini is legitimately my favourite Youtuber, with Rockin Mr.E at number 2.

Number 3 is EA Koetting but he doesn't have much to do with the discussion.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

quote:

Additional voicework by Paper 'is that slowbeef?' Lion. I tried to get the actual Slowbeef to record lines this time but he has like, a life, or something?

I don't think that's the actual reason beef refused...

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
In tangential news, Eliezer Yudkowsky has a new work of fiction out! It's way less didactic than HPMOR. This may not be a good thing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

divabot posted:

In tangential news, Eliezer Yudkowsky has a new work of fiction out! It's way less didactic than HPMOR. This may not be a good thing.

Has Yudkowsky ever consumed any media aimed at a target audience beyond middle school? I'm serious here.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

divabot posted:

Wasn't he supposed to get back to his incredibly important work protecting the future of humanity after he wrapped up the fanfic? I mean, I don't blame the guy for cultivating a secondary racket on top of his main one, but still.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Antivehicular posted:

Has Yudkowsky ever consumed any media aimed at a target audience beyond middle school? I'm serious here.

"In one sense, it's clear that we do not want to live the sort of lives that are depicted in most stories that human authors have written so far. Think of the truly great stories, the ones that have become legendary for being the very best of the best of their genre: The Iliiad (sic), Romeo and Juliet, The Godfather, Watchmen, Planescape: Torment, the second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or that ending in Tsukihime. Is there a single story on the list that isn't tragic?"

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

divabot posted:

quote:

This is my attempt at translating a light novel from Japan, only the original source material doesn’t exist.
Huh, that actually sounds kinda fun, at least as far as mere pastiches go, maybe I'll give it a sh-

quote:

1. Prologue: A virgin maiden is already corrupted?!

I blame the government and my parents. In the very beginning, they should have stopped that innocent girl from seeing perverted things online.

Now I spend hours every day browsing the Internet, doing you-know-what to myself.
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

remember your anime: red tidday UP, white tidday DOWN

remember, this is a young girl who posted:

Though I am a little worried. I’ve never gone more than a day or two without giving myself release. Even when I tried to deny myself for perverted reasons, my willpower failed. I hope that I can clear up this Wicked Emperor matter in a month, and not go insane with repressed desires before then.

Scott Alexander review: no no you guys it's not a loving car crash it's KNOWING SELF-PARODY

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Yeah, Eliezer obviously has a master plan which involves producing smut like this to embarrass himself and distract people away from his "more serious thinking".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"In one sense, it's clear that we do not want to live the sort of lives that are depicted in most stories that human authors have written so far. Think of the truly great stories, the ones that have become legendary for being the very best of the best of their genre: The Iliiad (sic), Romeo and Juliet, The Godfather, Watchmen, Planescape: Torment, the second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or that ending in Tsukihime. Is there a single story on the list that isn't tragic?"

watchmen is only considered the best superhero comic by people who don't actually like superhero comics, smh yud

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's pretty amazing. To quote the best part:

quote:

Laughs in the face of good literary technique in a way that works fine in its silly self-aware context but which will provide new fodder for his critics, as if they needed it. Carefully optimized to be maximally embarrassing to him when somebody uses the fact that he wrote it to dismiss his more serious thinking.

It's a proper example of Bayesian reasoning in art criticism, too. Overly strong prior on Yud being good + extremely strong evidence of Yud having produced something extremely terrible = a good posterior on Yud having created an intentional parody, rather than just being bad.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is perfect.

Yud is perfect.

(In a way, Yud is a strange take on Joss Whedon.)

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

watchmen is only considered the best superhero comic by people who don't actually like superhero comics, smh yud
Not a real gamer

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cingulate posted:

That's pretty amazing. To quote the best part:

It's a proper example of Bayesian reasoning in art criticism, too. Overly strong prior on Yud being good + extremely strong evidence of Yud having produced something extremely terrible = a good posterior on Yud having created an intentional parody, rather than just being bad.
This is perfect.

Yud is perfect.

(In a way, Yud is a strange take on Joss Whedon.)

I think it's pretty clearly an intentional parody. Which doesn't make it good; the problem is that the kind of story it's parodying is already too terrible to easily parody.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Parody generally means "taking the established tropes of a genre and putting them over the top in a campy way or portraying them in a context which reveals their ridiculousness", but on the internet it means "the same thing but ironically".

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

DStecks posted:

Parody generally means "taking the established tropes of a genre and putting them over the top in a campy way or portraying them in a context which reveals their ridiculousness", but on the internet it means "the same thing but ironically".

"The same thing but I get to call backsies on it if people laugh at me"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay I obviously don't know what Japanese "light novels" are. 1. what is Yud "parodying" here, 2. why? Like, who is it for and what are they supposed to derive from it?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Okay I obviously don't know what Japanese "light novels" are. 1. what is Yud "parodying" here, 2. why? Like, who is it for and what are they supposed to derive from it?

Light novels are Japanese novels with anime illustrations. They tend to be very cliche-heavy, have a stilted prose style made even worse in translation, and sometimes cater to people with weird sexual fetishes. Many anime these days are adapted from LNs.

Good LNs do exist, but the crap-to-gold ratio seems to be higher than in most other mediums.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So basically light novels are for people who are so regressed that they cannot read a book without pictures telling them how to interpret it?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Silver2195 posted:

Light novels are Japanese novels with anime illustrations. They tend to be very cliche-heavy, have a stilted prose style made even worse in translation, and sometimes cater to people with weird sexual fetishes. Many anime these days are adapted from LNs.

Good LNs do exist, but the crap-to-gold ratio seems to be higher than in most other mediums.
Okay and what is Yud trying to achieve? Is he writing for the community of people-who-know-light-novels-well-enough-to-understand-the-joke-and-also-somehow-are-in-need-of-light-novel-parodies?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Woolie Wool posted:

So basically light novels are for people who are so regressed that they cannot read a book without pictures telling them how to interpret it?

They are a step below genre fiction in literacy-space, but a step above genre comics.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Okay and what is Yud trying to achieve? Is he writing for the community of people-who-know-light-novels-well-enough-to-understand-the-joke-and-also-somehow-are-in-need-of-light-novel-parodies?

I've heard of at least one light novel which uses its tissue-thin plot to teach the reader math tricks and trivia, so that may have given him ideas. I think he has a theory that there is an unmet American market for semi-serious semi-literature.

...or that may just be projection. I will instead say that I have a theory that such a market exists, currently met by free fan fiction, god awful licensed novels, and a growing crowd of kindle singles.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Woolie Wool posted:

Sort of? They are pretty explicitly aimed at middle school/high school age kids. Think of they like a mix of YA fiction and comic books. They aren't all as japan as big yud is presenting here. The novel *Edge of Tomorrow* is based off of is perfectly respectable pulp action.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

edit: nm you got to it way before me

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

divabot posted:

remember your anime: red tidday UP, white tidday DOWN

Scott Alexander review: no no you guys it's not a loving car crash it's KNOWING SELF-PARODY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvBnP9t0gTg

He nailed the poorly translated subtitle though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

No, you guys, light novels aren't trashy semi-lit written for 13-year-olds, they're "a Japanese custom which aims at easy reading!" If it's a custom, it's obviously important.

Also, it's not that they're cliche and written very quickly to cash in on trends, it's that "Japan has easier ideas about copyright, so their literary system more often contains many works on the same theme." Yudkowsky used the word theme! It's cultural goddammit, from glorious Nippon, which means it isn't a waste of time for someone who has a self-determined amazing genius intellect and is the only one who can save the world.

Also, female masturbation and sexuality are gross and hilarious, sufficiently to be the entire basis of the parody, obviously.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cingulate posted:

Not a real gamer

Nah comics are an actual thing I spend most of my time on in some fashion, and the people who think Watchmen is the best superhero comic are the people who don't read comic books they read Graphic Novels

It's good, but it's not the best

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Patrick Spens posted:

Sort of? They are pretty explicitly aimed at middle school/high school age kids. Think of they like a mix of YA fiction and comic books. They aren't all as japan as big yud is presenting here. The novel *Edge of Tomorrow* is based off of is perfectly respectable pulp action.

That novel is also called All You Need is Kill which is the BEST title

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

No, you guys, light novels aren't trashy semi-lit written for 13-year-olds, they're "a Japanese custom which aims at easy reading!" If it's a custom, it's obviously important.

Also, it's not that they're cliche and written very quickly to cash in on trends, it's that "Japan has easier ideas about copyright, so their literary system more often contains many works on the same theme." Yudkowsky used the word theme! It's cultural goddammit, from glorious Nippon, which means it isn't a waste of time for someone who has a self-determined amazing genius intellect and is the only one who can save the world.

Also, female masturbation and sexuality are gross and hilarious, sufficiently to be the entire basis of the parody, obviously.

Serious question: is he married?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Antivehicular posted:

I get the point, but I doubt Yud is big on cultural relativism.
To the extent that he's aware of the topic, he probably files it in the same folder as Cultural Marxism.

Nah comics are an actual thing I spend most of my time on in some fashion, and the people who think Watchmen is the best superhero comic are the people who don't read comic books they read Graphic Novels

Adam Cadre, who most definitely is a Real GamerComic Book Reader, disagrees: http://adamcadre.ac/calendar/11/11670.html

That novel is also called All You Need is Kill which is the BEST title
No it's pretty bad

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

Serious question: is he married?

He's in a polyamorous relationship with several women from his cult.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I think you are a cool guy who posts good, but this sounds like a WWE fan talking poo poo about people who follow the Olympics.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

He's in a polyamorous relationship with several women from his cult.

A harem of mental/emotional children?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Enough LN/comics chat, let's post some Jim!

quote:

Roosh is a great and valuable ideologue of the alt-right

A lot of white nationalists want to purge Roosh because he is a non white degenerate who sleeps with lots of white women.

If a virgin sleeps with Roosh, she slept with a man who made it perfectly clear he was only in town for a week, and was in town to sleep with as many women as possible.

If a non virgin sleeps with Roosh, where is the problem?

White knighting is a first step to cuckservatism.

Come the revolution, those sluts will get a caning, and Roosh will get a shotgun marriage, and will probably be much improved by it.

The red pill is the alt right’s killer app. If you know what women are like, you will conclude that emancipation was a really bad idea. If female emancipation was a bad idea, you are well and truly off the reservation.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think you are a cool guy who posts good, but this sounds like a WWE fan talking poo poo about people who follow the Olympics.

I'm saying that there is no actual fundamental difference between the two things except if you want to feel like you're better than those fuckin plebes. I read all kinds of poo poo, comics are My Thing in a lot of ways and have been for well over half my life, to the point where I almost pursued a lit degree so that I could maybe find a way to teach about them, and people who say "I don't read comic books I only like Alan Moore et al" are assholes who have never engaged with the medium in a meaningful way

It's the same as the (thankfully increasingly rare) assholes who say "I don't watch movies I watch FILMS" like using the grown up word means you're better than other people

Cingulate posted:

I get the point, but I doubt Yud is big on cultural relativism.
To the extent that he's aware of the topic, he probably files it in the same folder as Cultural Marxism.
Adam Cadre, who most definitely is a Real GamerComic Book Reader, disagrees: http://adamcadre.ac/calendar/11/11670.html
No it's pretty bad

Man you keep saying that like its a thing I'm saying but it's still not and also I don't know who this random guy with a website straight out of 2002 is or why I should care about his opinion

Also note I never said it was bad, just that people who think it's the end all be all of superhero comics are kinda fuckin wrong and also it kinda ruined superhero comics for thirty years and counting, that and Dark Knight Returns which is as important in terms of history and impact and making a statement on the nature of comic books but it's about Batman so it's poo poo (also it's actually poo poo and I hate it)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

You couldn't be more wrong.

It's not a "harem," they sleep with other people too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jack Gladney posted:

I mean really, this comes about for most cult leaders eventually.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Man you keep saying that like its a thing I'm saying but it's still not and also I don't know who this random guy with a website straight out of 2002 is or why I should care about his opinion

Also note I never said it was bad, just that people who think it's the end all be all of superhero comics are kinda fuckin wrong and also it kinda ruined superhero comics for thirty years and counting, that and Dark Knight Returns which is as important in terms of history and impact and making a statement on the nature of comic books but it's about Batman so it's poo poo (also it's actually poo poo and I hate it)
I agree. Fuckin' casuals.

Silver2195 posted:

Enough LN/comics chat, let's post some Jim!
Haha, does "off the reservation" have a particular meaning in Racist Dork land?

Also "The red pill is the alt right’s killer app"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cingulate posted:

I agree. Fuckin' casuals.
Haha, does "off the reservation" have a particular meaning in Racist Dork land?

Also "The red pill is the alt right’s killer app"

Wow it's crazy that you say that because I sure as hell didn't

Double ironic because I'm literally grumping about people having a false sense of superiority at the same time you claim that I'm looking down my nose at people for not devoting their lives to this hobby

Fun fact I recommend people run far away from this hobby because either you're going to be disgusted and run away anyway or fall in love and have your heart broken every week, nobody should read comics

Also I still don't know what you were trying to prove with that link. Some guy I've never heard of disagrees with me? Okay cool that's never happened before