Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Avengers rarely got into the social impact of a super team, but they especially missed out on the drama of having two mutants on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cocks Cable posted:

Aren't most mutants suppose to be Morlock-league level hideous with lame or gross powers? The Avengers as the public know them are like exact opposite of that. They're beautiful unblemished white people decorated in the accouterments of patriotism or sexy silicon valley stylish tech.

There was supposed to be a huge push for "ugly" or "gross" mutants back in the 90's several times. The first one gave us Chamber, Skin and Husk who even though she was a hot blonde her power was gross. Later we got Random and and Maggot and even later Beak and the new Angel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don''t forget Marrow and Maggot!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Ummm I said Maggot.

I was only naming off X-Men really but yeah Gene Nation were all gross.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Ummm I said Maggot.

I was only naming off X-Men really but yeah Gene Nation were all gross.

Or weird.

What the gently caress was Integer, I ask you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Die Laughing posted:

Avengers rarely got into the social impact of a super team, but they especially missed out on the drama of having two mutants on the team.

Kurt Busiek had this storyline where the Avengers had two groups of protestors camped outside their front gate - one of them was protesting that the reformed team had managed to assemble an all-white line-up; the other was protesting the inclusion of mutants (Scarlet Witch, Justice and Firestar). Obviously, they started protesting each other.

Die Laughing posted:

Marrow became pretty when Alan Davis started drawing her.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

GOD IS BED posted:

CYCLOPS WAS RIGHT

And the reward for that is now he gets to get Professor X'ed until the end of time, and will never be a usable character ever again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I swear, someone could create a superhero called The Human Turd, and if she was female, she'd eventually be drawn super hot.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
They should bring back Maggott, the hero we deserve.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think he was in X-Men 92, along with other reject characters. Speak of which, when is that ongoing starting up? It might be an X-Title worth getting.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
TFAW says that it's due out on March 30th: http://www.tfaw.com/Comics/Profile/X-Men-92-1___496124

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I really didn't like Bendis on X-Men but I guess I had a cursed monkey's paw in my pocket when I wished for new writers because I'm beginning to think that Extraordinary, Uncanny, All-New X-Men are actually worse than before SW (okay I'm on the fence with All-New but still)! Wolverine(s) seem to be the only mutants I like at the moment.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 30, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People can call Wolverine a bad character all they want, his(their?) comics are often well above the average x-title.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wolverine is a great character when the writer isn't having everyone giving him sloppy blowjobs about how he's the greatest X-Men of all.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
A cool thing about Wolverine is that even things that always suck, like one shot releases, or annuals,are generally better than other properties of that ilk. I think it's that everyone probably has a Wolverine story in their head.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Wheat Loaf posted:

It seemed to me they made Marrow hot because she quit the Morloks and joined the x-men. She wasn't a villain anymore, so naturally the x-men get randomly teleported to an alien world and she gets put into an alien healing pod that makes her pretty.

They had some similar plot arcs with Callisto, where she becomes beautiful and quits being evil, but then goes right back to being an evil sewer-dwelling rear end in a top hat when a plot twist takes her hotness away again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

People can call Wolverine a bad character all they want, his(their?) comics are often well above the average x-title.

Her

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Theres 2 of them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Only one is Wolverine.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Only one is Wolverine.

And that is Laura Kinney.

I've been meaning to ask this, but what was the Legacy Virus. Outside of killing Illyana, I have zero idea what it was. Also, current Magik is from an alt universe or something?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think current Magik is just her resurrected by Hel but technically without a soul.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

I've been meaning to ask this, but what was the Legacy Virus.

Literally mutant AIDs. The writers actually said it wouldn't be cured until AIDs was, but...that took longer than they thought.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I've been meaning to ask this, but what was the Legacy Virus. Outside of killing Illyana, I have zero idea what it was.

David Haller's tiniest personality.

But you know how in the year 3863, the (sit-on-your-)fascist Swinger Tyrants, in an effort to kill the last remaining monogs, will release a plague whose only treatment is promiscuous sex? And how a team of science-rebels at the Matrimonyiat manage to re-engineer the plague to actually infect others via bodily fluids contact? And how they then launch their new anti-sex disease through a time-hole, to prevent the Swingers from ever rising to power?

You know, the history of how HIV came to exist.

The Legacy virus is basically that, but in a mutants-as-gay-folks metaphor and much more awkward. It caused mutant powers to run out of control until they burnt out the infected mutant. It was mutant-only, until some mutant's mutant power accidentally mutated it to infect non-mutants. It transmitted easily, and was airborne. So HIV, but actually Gay Only and you could catch it by breathing gay air but only if you were yourself gay, including closeted—that is, until some lesbian's homosexual quirks caused it to also infect the straights!!!!! Also it was made by Stryfe, a clone of Rightclops's and JEEEEAAAAAN's son who grew up in the future when all spelling conventions have been abandoned.

It was a bad thing and probably best forgotten, except to mock everyone involved.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I've been meaning to ask this, but what was the Legacy Virus. Outside of killing Illyana, I have zero idea what it was. Also, current Magik is from an alt universe or something?

The Legacy Virus was created by Stryfe and released at the end of X-Cutioner's Song when he and Cable got sucked into the timestream. I don't know if taht was coincidence or not because that crossover killed my interest in comics for awhile. It caused mutants to lose control of their powers and hopefully make humans real angry at them. It wasn't quite mutant AIDS since it wasn't sexually transmitted. Eventually Moira MacTaggart got it somehow and she developed a cure except that it would kill whoever used it. Colossus did it. Then he got better.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Squizzle posted:

David Haller's tiniest personality.

But you know how in the year 3863, the (sit-on-your-)fascist Swinger Tyrants, in an effort to kill the last remaining monogs, will release a plague whose only treatment is promiscuous sex? And how a team of science-rebels at the Matrimonyiat manage to re-engineer the plague to actually infect others via bodily fluids contact? And how they then launch their new anti-sex disease through a time-hole, to prevent the Swingers from ever rising to power?

The Legacy virus is basically that, but in a mutants-as-gay-folks metaphor and much more awkward. It caused mutant powers to run out of control until they burnt out the infected mutant. It was mutant-only, until some mutant's mutant power accidentally mutated it to infect non-mutants. It transmitted easily, and was airborne. So HIV, but actually Gay Only and you could catch it by breathing gay air but only if you were yourself gay, including closeted—that is, until some lesbian's homosexual quirks caused it to also infect the straights!!!!! Also it was made by Stryfe, a clone of Rightclops's and JEEEEAAAAAN's son who grew up in the future when all spelling conventions have been abandoned.

It was a bad thing and probably best forgotten, except to mock everyone involved.

Why.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Literally mutant AIDs. The writers actually said it wouldn't be cured until AIDs was, but...that took longer than they thought.

That is half hilarious in a dark way and half sad.

Squizzle posted:

You are the hero this forum deserves

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

The Legacy Virus was created by Stryfe and released at the end of X-Cutioner's Song when he and Cable got sucked into the timestream. I don't know if taht was coincidence or not because that crossover killed my interest in comics for awhile. It caused mutants to lose control of their powers and hopefully make humans real angry at them. It wasn't quite mutant AIDS since it wasn't sexually transmitted. Eventually Moira MacTaggart got it somehow and she developed a cure except that it would kill whoever used it. Colossus did it. Then he got better.

OH it comes from That Era of X-men. I've mostly been focusing on Claremont and post 2000 era in my "hey read what you missed/forgotten" and was wondering why it gets mentioned a fair bit my X-fans but never actually explained. And of course its from Stryfe, like he could be worse?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

WickedHate posted:

This is rather :psyduck: for the time I guess. Let's show support to a suffering community...but no gay characters plz!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, you can kind of see the logic. Mutants are supposed to be civil rights allegories so since AIDs was seen as a "gay virus" mutants got the mutant virus.

You know, like how in the Lee/Kirby run mutants had to drink at separate fountains.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

twistedmentat posted:

Current Magik is a demonic Simulacrum of the dead Illyana or something like that if I remember correctly. comics

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cocks Cable posted:

This is rather :psyduck: for the time I guess. Let's show support to a suffering community...but no gay characters plz!

Was Shooter still in charge at the time? I'd guess it's a bit after his time.

Gymer
May 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think current Magik is just her resurrected by Hel but technically without a soul.

By Belasco specifically during post M-day academy X, but she got her soul back by the end of latest run of New Mutants as well as retrieving the lost bits of Pixie's soul.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I swear, someone could create a superhero called The Human Turd, and if she was female, she'd eventually be drawn super hot.

And now I've remembered Wanted. Thanks for nothing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Cocks Cable posted:

Gay people being like.. people in mass media is really kind of a recent development. It really loving slingshotted ahead in the last decade or so.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

twistedmentat posted:

And of course its from Stryfe, like he could be worse?

The best part is how Styfe released the virus. He had built an elaborate torture chamber ON THE MOON to force Cyclops and Jean Grey to feel the cold, unrelenting pain of bad parenting. He asked Mister Sinister to capture them in exchange for a 'Gene Matrix' from the future. Sinister held up his end of the deal and Stryfe handed over a big elaborate suitcase. When Sinister opened the case, it just let out a little fart and was empty inside.

That fart was the legacy virus! You might think Sinister would be patient zero, but no, that would make too much sense.

I think this was right around the time when Stryfe dressed up like Cable and shot Xavier in the face.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
A deal between a guy named Stryfe and a guy named Mr. Sinister is just bound to go wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maxwell Adams posted:

The best part is how Styfe released the virus. He had built an elaborate torture chamber ON THE MOON to force Cyclops and Jean Grey to feel the cold, unrelenting pain of bad parenting. He asked Mister Sinister to capture them in exchange for a 'Gene Matrix' from the future. Sinister held up his end of the deal and Stryfe handed over a big elaborate suitcase. When Sinister opened the case, it just let out a little fart and was empty inside.

That fart was the legacy virus! You might think Sinister would be patient zero, but no, that would make too much sense.

I think this was right around the time when Stryfe dressed up like Cable and shot Xavier in the face.

Sinister is not a mutant.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rhyno posted:

Sinister is not a mutant.

I was going to say that, but given that he's messed around with his own genetics via augmentation through other mutant's genes, it's enough of a grey area that I don't think it's really worth debating. I mean he wasn't born with an X-gene but I'm sure there are some other mutants that the same is true of.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Maxwell Adams posted:

I am pretty sure it has sinister telling the doctor he is with to have a doctor look at that cough. Stryfe being a clone of Cable it was not too hard for him to dress up as himself. It was also part of revealing that Cable is Nathan Summers, and Stryfe thinking he was and being angry his parents abandoned him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wasn't it implied Styfe was the actual Nathan Summers and Cable was the clone at first?

• Locked thread