Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Megazver posted:

This won't happen. Unfortunately.

We can have hope. I don't want this to be my next City of Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I wonder if this is one last cash grab before the game hits maintenance mode.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Megazver posted:

This won't happen. Unfortunately.

Well, in that case, Conan: Exiles will never make it out of early access, and Funcom is signalling that they probably won't be able to afford a server in the near future. On the bright side, Funcom's collapse will probably spawn a handful of really neat independent studios, since they've obviously got some talent on staff.

Edit: Maybe not, http://www.funcom.com/investors/extraordinary_general_meeting3 doesn't read like they plan to fold within the year.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 31, 2016

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So I found out via Facebook that a friend of mine who worked funcom support with me back in the day just got hired to do voice acting on TSW. So they are at least actively developing some content.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
IIRC, Funcom is not at immediate risk of collapse. The bondholders agreed to defer their payment a year back in October, so Funcom has a whole 8 months to try and come up with enough money to fulfill their payment. So, we have 8 months of Secret World left to enjoy.

Conan Exiles could be quite interesting if they can do more than just re-create Rust or Ark with a Conan skin. The genre has a lot of potential, but thus far it's just been really "hardcore" titles that inevitably stagnate as one group or faction dominates a server beyond all reason. A more curated experience, with NPCs and perhaps even something like Eve's High Sec would go along way to making a survival game that has longer legs.

More probably it will be an even buggier version of Ark that does nothing original and is rushed out to desperately get whatever cash they can before the company implodes. I wouldn't blame them, if pushing out lovely games was all between me and the unemployment line I'd be making loving Age of Conan candy crush with a smile on my face.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Pinely posted:

IIRC, Funcom is not at immediate risk of collapse. The bondholders agreed to defer their payment a year back in October, so Funcom has a whole 8 months to try and come up with enough money to fulfill their payment. So, we have 8 months of Secret World left to enjoy.

According to the report in that link I posted, they'll be meeting in February to vote on extending it again to 2019

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

CommunityEdition posted:

According to the report in that link I posted, they'll be meeting in February to vote on extending it again to 2019

Nice, hopefully they'll get another extension long enough to get something that sells well out the door. I remember reading in the comments to some article that the largest bondholder is a family and that they have some connection to Funcom that has given Funcom extraordinary leeway compared with other companies.

Also, voice acting is good. It would be nice to get another issue or two this year, hopefully something that's not Tokyo though.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pinely posted:

Also, voice acting is good. It would be nice to get another issue or two this year, hopefully something that's not Tokyo though.

Wasn't the most recent issue marketed as the last of the Tokyo content?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

macnbc posted:

Wasn't the most recent issue marketed as the last of the Tokyo content?

Yes, issue 13 is kind of a "goodbye" to tokyo

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Toshimo posted:

This looks like some MSPaint poo poo, not the work of a company in sound financial shape:

looks like a good deal

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Just did the first Sabotage mission for the first time since... well, whenever I did it after the game launched. Those first couple of tripwires are tricky and tough to see! :argh:

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
This seems pretty worrying. They finished Tokyo (which, iirc, has been in the making since 2012), there's no real roadmap of where the game is going now that I've seen, they're stopping sales of Grandmaster packs.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Elswyyr posted:

This seems pretty worrying. They finished Tokyo (which, iirc, has been in the making since 2012), there's no real roadmap of where the game is going now that I've seen, they're stopping sales of Grandmaster packs.

On the other hand, TSW and their other MMOs are literally the only thing Funcom has bringing in revenue right now, so while their doors are open they aren't going to shut it down. Dropping lifetime subs and shifting around subscriber benefits are all a bid to increase sub numbers and incoming cash, not them prepping to shut down the servers or something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Those sub benefits would have been nice years ago.

I think I remember reading after Tokyo the Phonecians (probably spelled wrong) or morninglight were going to step up as the big bad but who knows if that's still a thing.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

It's really unfortunate that we're even having conversations about Funcom and TSW shutting down. Funcom has hosed up a lot of stuff over the years, but I'll always give them credit for being one of the few studios in the MMO space that actually tried different things. While a lot of studios failed just aping World of Warcraft, games like AO, AOC and TSW tried to take the genre in some new directions. It's always more impressive to me when studios swing for the fences and miss.

I mean, when I think about it, if TSW had launched in its current state (basically B2P, a lot of the initial technical issues ironed out), in the current market, it would be a hit. I'm having a better time with it than a lot of single-player games that I've played lately, and its infinitely better than most of the bigger MMOs out now (arguably better story-wise - and definitely better gameplay-wise - than SWTOR, and much more interesting than post-expansion GW2).

Going back through like 3-4 years later, I actually feel kinda good that I got dumb and bought that Grandmaster pack at launch.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

VanillaGorilla posted:

Going back through like 3-4 years later, I actually feel kinda good that I got dumb and bought that Grandmaster pack at launch.

Yeah, I will say that it is nice buying random poo poo off the item store just for the hell of it rather than agonizing over every $2 micro transaction.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Even if it launched in this state it still would have failed because they did zero advertising for it.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I always felt that Funcom is horrible at advertising their current and upcoming games. I think TSW could have had a stronger start if people actually knew it was coming out, and what it was about. I remember I pre-ordered a physical copy from Game Stop, and there were a few staff members asking me what it was about. I can understand one associate not knowing, but all three of them had never heard anything about it. Maybe I just put too much faith in Game Stop employee knowledge?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

HughGRect posted:

I always felt that Funcom is horrible at advertising their current and upcoming games. I think TSW could have had a stronger start if people actually knew it was coming out, and what it was about. I remember I pre-ordered a physical copy from Game Stop, and there were a few staff members asking me what it was about. I can understand one associate not knowing, but all three of them had never heard anything about it. Maybe I just put too much faith in Game Stop employee knowledge?

Going from my brief stint as a Game Stop Assistant Manager, if it has a pre-order, everyone will know about it and be ordered to push it like mad. I remember them still insisting that DDO was going to have expansion pre-orders for the first big one they had and it ended up being something else altogether.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I still think advertising had less to do with how badly TSW did compared to how abysmal the game was when released, particularly when it had beta events where everyone could see what they were expected to pay a subscription for. It had story and "no levels" and that didn't cut it vs. a new WoW expansion soon (then in beta, same old fantasy raid treadmill, but the best at hotkey combat mechanics) or GW2 which had an extensive game world to explore, a bit more action to its combat and no subscription fee. Or any of the F2P games which may have been crappy overall, but by being free you could more easily live with the bad parts if there was one thing you really liked (TERA combat eg.).

To be fair, now there's way more of the good content (story) and slight improvements to the worse parts (typical MMO mechanics like mob density, ability balance or the reward structure) to offset the parts that are still crappy, and a computer bought since the game came out will struggle less with the terrible engine than one from before launch.

Len posted:

Those sub benefits would have been nice years ago.

I think I remember reading after Tokyo the Phonecians (probably spelled wrong) or morninglight were going to step up as the big bad but who knows if that's still a thing.

Yeah tell me about it. But I guess we can feel slightly less bad about it if we ever want to play it regularly again!

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 1, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
All they would have to do is make AO2, you know it and some reason they cant figure it out.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

As my friends say they're picking up the game this weekend, I picked it up to start getting used to things. Considering I'm still not 100% on what I'm doing half the time, I'm having too much fun running around killing zombies in Kingmouth with an AK and lightning. While everyone here's said decks are pretty crappy and only to be bothered with for the free clothes I have a kinda dumb question that I can't find the answer anywhere on. Is it possible to get multiple free clothes for completing multiple decks? Despite never really playing with Barbies as a kid, I'm very addicted to doing pretty princess dress up when it's possible in a MMO.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

M_Sinistrari posted:

As my friends say they're picking up the game this weekend, I picked it up to start getting used to things. Considering I'm still not 100% on what I'm doing half the time, I'm having too much fun running around killing zombies in Kingmouth with an AK and lightning. While everyone here's said decks are pretty crappy and only to be bothered with for the free clothes I have a kinda dumb question that I can't find the answer anywhere on. Is it possible to get multiple free clothes for completing multiple decks? Despite never really playing with Barbies as a kid, I'm very addicted to doing pretty princess dress up when it's possible in a MMO.

Yup, sure can! I hope you chose Illuminati for the best handler. I swear going valley girl was such a good decision character wise.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yup, sure can! I hope you chose Illuminati for the best handler. I swear going valley girl was such a good decision character wise.

While I do plan on making alts for the other factions, going with Occult Mafia Corporation was a no brainer. This does bring me to a second question, with the account unlocks on gear, are they still genderlocked? I've seen mention that if you've bought gear for women, you'll have to buy it again for men.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if ultimate edition is worth $20?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Yeah that's a good price for the game and all that DLC. You'd definitely absolutely get $20 worth of fun.

EDIT: So I already have this game but almost none of the DLC past issue 4 or 5. Does anyone know how I can drop :10bux::10bux: and grab all that DLC I missed? If I buy this, does anyone know if I can somehow apply it to my old account or move my character over to a Steam account? I own a physical box copy, purchased at release, so I don't currently have the game through Steam.

I would love to grab some missing issues, but holy crap the price for new issues is still insane.

EDIT: Woohoo! https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSecretWorld/comments/44dxwm/i_own_the_basic_game_but_not_on_steam_if_i_buy/

Otacon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 6, 2016

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Secret World is legit one of the best single player RPGs out there right now from a lore/narrative standpoint. Just forget it's an MMO and think of it as a regular game with some light multiplayer components and you'll have a great time.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

VanillaGorilla posted:

Secret World is legit one of the best single player RPGs out there right now from a lore/narrative standpoint. Just forget it's an MMO and think of it as a regular game with some light multiplayer components and you'll have a great time.

I'm looking to play with a friend, we basically roll as two in every game. Would TSW be an ok use case for this or is it really really only solo?

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

VanillaGorilla posted:

Also it's a great time to get into the game if you just want to play the story.

Funcom has wisely nerfed most of the unnecessarily tedious enemies that plagued Solomon's Island (the first 3 areas), so you'll be able to play it with much less annoyance. They also consolidated the currencies, virtually everything is Black Bullion, which you earn from every activity and can spend in every zone in order to get better gear should you want it. They've also added a dungeon finder, so you can easily get into those dungeons and see the content (they're worth it). The combat still looks janky, but the fluidity has recently increased thanks to a change to builders that used to slow you when cast.

Ultimate Edition is the way to go, too. You get all of the main story content for $20 which is like a hundred hours of content. You get some starter items and some AP boosts that will let you smooth over the few rough patches that remain in Blue Mountain and Savage Costs (the third and second areas of the game). You get a month's subscription, which has a further AP enhancement and potentially more depending on when the subscriber bonuses are changed. It also comes with a neat outfit.

It's not a perfect game and there's a change that Funcom will spontaneously go bankrupt, but it absolutely has one of the best and most original stories you'll find. It's not interactive like Mass Effect or the Witcher, but it still remains one of the best stories around presently.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
They didn't skimp on the quality of the voice acting, which makes a huge impact I think.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Biowarfare posted:

I'm looking to play with a friend, we basically roll as two in every game. Would TSW be an ok use case for this or is it really really only solo?

I would actually argue this is one of the better ways to play it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

macnbc posted:

I would actually argue this is one of the better ways to play it.
Absolutely.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The one thing to remember with that is that quite a lot of the story instances are solo for some reason so you guys might have to do those separately sometimes. Other than that, the rest of the game is better with two people.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Mercurius posted:

The one thing to remember with that is that quite a lot of the story instances are solo for some reason so you guys might have to do those separately sometimes. Other than that, the rest of the game is better with two people.

To add on to this, if one of you typically heals or off-heals, consider primarying Assault Rifle, which heals through "leech" abilities that heal your defensive target by a percentage of damage dealt (with some variations). It'll work nicely through solo instances, and IMO it's the best / most fun method of healing. At least until you get to Tokyo, where there's a mechanic that was introduced at least partially to make it not viable.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
can someone pm me two referral keys or something thanks

does the steam version just allocate you keys to activate on funcom site? or is it tied explciitly to steam acc

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Well I am kinda dumb, did 30 missions and the game was like "Hey, you should try Polaris" and so I queued as tank since I'm Chaos and saw... that I had the fewest HP there. I don't think Skill Level 2 is enough for Polaris, epecially considering I have some QL1 stuff still, I think.

I've forgotten everything I knew about this game. :suicide:

EDIT: It also looks like the game will let you queue for other dungeons regardless of gear level? :stare:

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 7, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FrostyPox posted:

Well I am kinda dumb, did 30 missions and the game was like "Hey, you should try Polaris" and so I queued as tank since I'm Chaos and saw... that I had the fewest HP there. I don't think Skill Level 2 is enough for Polaris, epecially considering I have some QL1 stuff still, I think.

I've forgotten everything I knew about this game. :suicide:

EDIT: It also looks like the game will let you queue for other dungeons regardless of gear level? :stare:

Yep. We ran so many goons through things they shouldn't have to get them gear because it gives no fucks.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Well, OK then!

I should actually be legitimately at the point where I "can" do Polaris tomorrow anyway, so I'll try to do it then. I predict that I'll get people who are way overgeared who will rip aggro off me regardless, but it'll be fun cuz goddamn do I love the dungeons in this game.

I'm also about to start the Siren Song bit in the main story quest and I can't wait.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

They didn't skimp on the quality of the voice acting, which makes a huge impact I think.

It amuses the Hell out of me that at least some of the characters actually look like their VAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
Is there any sort of active chat for coordination still? I just came back to the game with a couple of friends and having a place to ping for the 1-2 we might need to fill out a group would be great.

• Locked thread