Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

GloomMouse posted:

Prepare for Shamblers though

speaking of shamblers, just ran champion necromancer, killed him, wandered back to clear out another branch, and came across the shambler alter. summoned it and killed it. :smuggo:

since i feel like thats a sign it was a good team comp i had going, I'm going to just go ahead and dump what I was using and what my stratagy was.

Occu-Jester-Hound-Abom

Occultist - cleansing/junia's head, with wyrd heal, his pull, his knife, and his back rank targeting. He mostly just healed; he could have stood to have his mark ability on.
Jester - light tamborine/protection ring, with his destressing song, buffing song, harvest, and his dirk. just did a pattern of buff/destress forever.
Houndmaster - sun cloak/+40% stun chance club, with club, single target hound, protection, and self heal. just clubbed people all day.
Abomination - restraining lock (reduces transform stress), ancestor's trinket that buffs stress/hp heals. he hit things.

its not a sexy set up and its not clever at all, but its one that sustains for absolute loving days. the houndmaster stun is what ties it together against single target foes - even against bosses, he can stun twice in a row. the abomination's ability to hit things three ranks deep means he can tear the back line first before rending the front over and over. with the jester speed and crit buffs, even his singular damage output is enough to take down things, and with enemies being stunned and controlled, battles always ended with my team at full health and zero stress. if the abomination was hurt or stressed at all on the final turn, a quick transform back healed 13hp, and absolution healed another 13 and around 18 stress due to the ancestor trinket.

camp buffs help as well; abomination uses psych up, occultists raises his damage another 20%, and I got lucky and found a shrine that added a further 20%. so after he got his rake train going, the shambler tentacles went down in a single swipe with 20-26 damage on both, every time they were summoned, making them a total nonissue. even when i failed like eight loving stuns in a row (205% to stun vs 135% to resist), my team had so much sustain and defense in between all of them that nobody got on deaths door during the whole mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The vomit pigs are bad. I do not like the vomit pigs.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

It's one of the trophies you get from beating the champion bosses, most of them are crazy good with no drawbacks. Essentially a reason to kill them before heading for the Darkest Dungeon.

Edit: Is there any difference between MISS and DODGE in regards to the "Fated" quirk?

i think MISS indicates you're using a skill with less than 100% chance to hit, and you've just missed

DODGE means you would have hit but the enemy's dodge skill came into play

MODGE or DISS means you have had a stroke, please seek medical attention

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Tiler Kiwi posted:

speaking of shamblers, just ran champion necromancer, killed him, wandered back to clear out another branch, and came across the shambler alter. summoned it and killed it. :smuggo:

since i feel like thats a sign it was a good team comp i had going, I'm going to just go ahead and dump what I was using and what my stratagy was.

Occu-Jester-Hound-Abom
Be wary; triumphant pride precipitates a dizzying fall.

I'm loving the Abomination. His stun attack in human form just wrecks, in addition to almost a guaranteed lockdown of whatever he's attacking with it. I've just been having him hang out in human form doing that until things get tough, then he hulks it up and starts cleaning house. I could not have imagined a backer designed class would fit in so well yet still feel so balanced and fun.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I'd highly suggest dumping the restraining lock for another damage trinket. You're packing a jester so you really shouldn't have stress problems, and if things got really bad you could do some janky things with cycling hound-man backwards for double stress heals. I've got a variation of this party that uses man-at-arms instead of hound-man, he works pretty similar just a bit more tanky (single target+stun+guard).

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:rip: reynald, killed by heart attack because poop poop poop fuckers cant stop freaking out and ruining the order of battle. jesus what a change of pace after the last bunch of runs went so smoothly.

oh well, dont really dig crusaders much anyways and dismas already died. he can enjoy being in loser hell with his butt buddy. couldnt even handle one death blow check.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
posted it elsewhere but might as well repost it here

Captain Invictus posted:

Been playing a bit of Darkest Dungeon since release, and I have to agree with those who have said they've made some poor changes to the game since early access. Far too many ways to get stress/arbitrary stress as you move versus almost no ways to reduce stress/way too little reduced when it does, leads to every run, even good ones, with everyone Afflicted if not close to having a heart attack. That almost every fight has monsters who are very fast and also only do stress damage, so that they always go first and always do 20-25 stress damage per attack, means even 3 rooms in some of my dudes are at 70+ stress. It's unfortunate because during early access, the game was tough, but fair, once you understood the mechanics and classes, their limitations and strengths. Now there's multiple new mechanics that compound stress levels and basically force retreats or your entire party will die via cascading heart attacks. And that's not even mentioning the new slant towards Afflictions versus Virtuous, I've had 2 Virtuous triggers and like 40 Afflicted triggers. Before, it wasn't necessarily even, but it was more like 60/40.

I like some of the new additions such as corpses though, that's a smart way to prevent people from just having 2 lepers up front and then 2 highwaymen or whoever multi-shoots the front ranks from the back to just grind through them as they move forward when the frontrunners die.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

counterpoint: abloo bloo blooo blooooooooooo, abloo bloo bloo blooooooooo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hell yes, games forum

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

counterpoint: abloo bloo blooo blooooooooooo, abloo bloo bloo blooooooooo

i gotta agree with this

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Game was good, but is now bad. Prove me wrong, apologists.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Have you considered one of the following;

-using a fast character with crowd control to prevent the backrow from getting the first move? (plague doctor)
-using a character with powerful backrow hitting abilities to neutralize them quickly? (hellion)
-using a hero with a good stress heal to chip off stress damage during battles? (crusader)
-using a hero with really good camping skills to reduce the stress of your party? (houndsmaster)

Cause yeah, the back row is dangerous usually due to the stress damage they inflict if you let them do their thing. Not having a party designed to hit the backrow or undo the damage they cause is bad play. This was always the case though since bone courtiers were shoving wine in your face from day 1. The only difference now is that corpses exist so you can't just chop through the front ranks to push them up to you.

The only stress dealer I think is unfair is the madman, because once you reach high levels he is insanely fast and insanely dodgy so killing him can be stupidly difficult.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Seafood posted:

I hate secret rooms because whenever I bring keys I never find any but the mission I forget/decide "Screw it" I find one immediately after a single scouting chance.

I feel like a lot of my posts lately have been complaining about this game. I really like it! I just need somewhere to vent when I come across some bad mojo.
i think someone mentioned you can open that chest without a key, albeit for a lesser reward.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think the base virtuous chance is like 15-20% or something, so 2/40 seems low.

Internet Kraken posted:

The only stress dealer I think is unfair is the madman, because once you reach high levels he is insanely fast and insanely dodgy so killing him can be stupidly difficult.

I'm inclined to agree, but he has a chance to drop some insanely good trinkets, so I still like encountering him. Think of him as a mini-miniboss

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm in week 15, haven't lost a single dude and most of the time I only end up with one guy needing to hit the tavern to drink his woes away. I gave my hellion brawlers gauntlets, dismas's head and resting buff for a total of 70% extra damage and murdered the Necromancer in the second turn, got a bunch of guys to 3 and did a veteran dark run. It's been entirely too easy so far and I'm sure I'll wipe three parties in a row very soon :ohdear:

I think a lot of it comes down to how you play but I haven't had any unlucky crits either so maybe I've just been absurdly lucky, for those who are having trouble here are a few points I live by.

- Aoe is a trap. An enemy at 4HP is just as effective as an enemy at 20HP. It's tempting to use zealous accusation and the highwaymans volley but don't, stick to single target and only use a stun if you don't think you can kill an enemy this turn.

- Build your parties around damage over time or burst. If you use blight and bleed you'll want a man-at-arms up front who can self-mark and protect the guy in the other front spot. This is especially important in the weald against the mushroom guys.

- Don't worry too much about the sanitarium early on. Absolutely remove the Ague and other heavy debilitations but don't remove or lock in quirks unless you have spare cash.

- Don't be afraid to over prepare. Shovels are expensive but you should have at least 2 on a short, 3-4 on a medium, but you don't actually need more than 6 torches for a medium if you camp smart.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i took a party to slay the necromancer lord; the vestal got to 100 stress with shocking speed despite her anti-stress trinkets, with an intensity she normally reserved for missing swine spawn, as a result of back-row stressers

she went Courageous, of course; i completely wrecked the necromancer. however, i probably would have managed it even if she'd got properly afflicted, except i might have lost a couple of guys.

given that i have a fully upgraded hamlet and i'm still desperate for low-level dudes to finish off the mid-tier bosses, the prospect of this does not fill me with depression. even if i got into hot water with the necromancer and wanted to keep my trinkets, i could have fled, keeping all my gold and loot.

e:

Doctor Schnabel posted:

i think someone mentioned you can open that chest without a key, albeit for a lesser reward.

the lesser reward is seriously, astonishingly lesser. the one time i found a room without a key, i was expecting a smaller version of three 2500-gold gems. i got 400 gold

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Demiurge4 posted:

- Aoe is a trap. An enemy at 4HP is just as effective as an enemy at 20HP. It's tempting to use zealous accusation and the highwaymans volley but don't, stick to single target and only use a stun if you don't think you can kill an enemy this turn.

This is mostly true but there are times when it really helps, like if one enemy is nearly dead and you really want to finish that one while starting to put damage on another, or if that loving Pelagic Guardian rear end in a top hat managed to put up his Guard around a 1 HP slasher.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Plenty of people consistently play through the game with little to no stress accumulation, using a (modest) variety of strategies. The game's got a combat model that's essentially rocket tag: you either find a way to quickly and decisively shut down the enemy offense or you lose. It's not the best or deepest combat system, but it's eminently fair. EDIT: It's also a lot more interesting than it was in the months after the Early Access launch, when it was incredibly easy to end fights in a single round and only the biggest, toughest enemies like the giant had a hope of lasting to round 2. It's gotten less sandboxy because you have to actually, you know, try instead of just loving around, but it's a much better game for it.

It does sound like you may be relying too much on green recruits: a rookie off the wagon is going to stress out faster and has more or less 100% affliction rate (this is not new). It's still entirely doable to reliably make it through a run with 4 level 0 rookies without anyone going crazy, but it's a lot harder than if you were taking care of your people. If you continually fire all your stressed-out veterans and replace them you're making the game tougher on yourself than it needs to be.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 31, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Captain Invictus posted:

You sound terrible at managing stress and are blaming the game for failing to play it right. It's nowhere near as unmanageable as you make it out to be. I'm on week 95(ish) and have totaled three casualties, <10 instances of Affliction and roughly eight aborted runs so far. I reckon all of the deaths are my fault and at least half of the aborted runs were failure to plan accordingly. Start doing the following:

- stop activating curios willy-nilly
- pack lots of food on Medium and Long runs to have the option to use Feast when camping to dump stress
- prioritize stress-dealing enemies (generally caster-looking types)
- find ways to increase your chance to scout, scouting the map allows you to see and disarm traps (which acts as a stress sink) and prevents surprise, allowing you to get into fights with your guys in their preferred position
- carry torches and play around with light levels until you're comfortable with the incoming damage and stress numbers, low light is significantly more lethal than it was earlier (or so I'm told, I'm a December baby)

My good runs end with people at sub-30 stress and I've routinely ended missions at sub-10 on all of my team, and I'm far from a DD grandmaster.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
mainly it sounds like you are playing bad, perhaps you should consider playing well

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Afraid of Audio posted:

mainly it sounds like you are playing bad, perhaps you should consider playing well

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

I think the base virtuous chance is like 15-20% or something, so 2/40 seems low.

I'm inclined to agree, but he has a chance to drop some insanely good trinkets, so I still like encountering him. Think of him as a mini-miniboss

I think virtue chance is like 5% per resolve level, or something in that ballpark. I don't know if level 0 characters even have a nonzero base chance to roll a virtue but 2/40 sounds about right for rookies.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Captain Invictus posted:

you're bad. you think youre not bad because youre good at other games, but you're bad at this game. instead of trying to get good or understand your failures you are crying on the internet. I hope this helps you

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This is a reoccurring problem with people who played the game super early on. They think the game has been made worse because they are too used to the old mechanics. Their preconceived notions about how the game should work conflict with the more brutal experience they are now having. Rather than adapt to the changes, they instead dismiss the game as being worse now.

The perils of early access.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is why I stopped playing early when I saw they were still making big changes and waited for release once I knew I was interested.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
its important to remember that these nightmarish creatures can be felled. they can be beaten

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Night10194 posted:

This is why I stopped playing early when I saw they were still making big changes and waited for release once I knew I was interested.

Same. Hit about week 40 in EA and went "Game is good, lets wait for release."

Soothing Vapors posted:

its important to remember that these nightmarish creatures can be felled. they can be beaten

"Ghoulish horrors, brought low and driven into the mud!"

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
truly this is the dankest dungeon

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

n.. no..

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
:smith:

Its okay, his faithful companion isn't a beast, it is a loyal friend. One that the houndmaster would gladly take blows for. :unsmith:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also captain invictus i suggest you mod your game to include more characters

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh god no.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Some experiments should have never happened.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Captain Invictus posted:

posted it elsewhere but might as well repost it here
I'm in week 100+ and have rarely seen anyone get afflicted. Pretty sure going into the Darkest Dungeon was the first time I got more than one of my guys afflicted. No heart attacks at all, and I think they've been a part of the game for half of the time I've played.
I mean, the stress mechanic isn't all that it could be, but if it's a big problem for you that's probably your fault. Like maybe you just stubbornly try to play line-ups that can't focus down enemies in the back row at all or something, I don't know, but stress is entirely manageable. Outside of catastrophic crit chains I guess, and then that's more the crit mechanic at work, not so much stress.

Internet Kraken posted:

This is a reoccurring problem with people who played the game super early on. They think the game has been made worse because they are too used to the old mechanics. Their preconceived notions about how the game should work conflict with the more brutal experience they are now having. Rather than adapt to the changes, they instead dismiss the game as being worse now.

The perils of early access.
I can only speak for myself, but I'm more disappointed that they didn't really add much to the gameplay over the whole EA period. I mean, there's more content now, but apart from that, they added corpses and that's pretty much the only meaningful change to the gameplay mechanics I can think of.

Edit: Although I think at some point I wasn't around for they also made PROT a lot more meaningful/remembered they made that stat and gave a lot of enemies high values in it. Which, uh, I could have done without, really.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

also captain invictus i suggest you mod your game to include more characters
Link please.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 31, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So do you think there's a way to kill the final boss without losing two people?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Am I missing an important combo with Hound's Harry or does it just blow rear end like I think it does- scratch damage to everything plus a weak as gently caress bleed? Way better to just Hound's Rush which is at least bleed + damage + good damage against beast/marked, and can hit any slot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Eight-Six posted:

Am I missing an important combo with Hound's Harry or does it just blow rear end like I think it does- scratch damage to everything plus a weak as gently caress bleed? Way better to just Hound's Rush which is at least bleed + damage + good damage against beast/marked, and can hit any slot.

There is a boss called the Formless flesh, it takes up all 4 spots and counts as 4 separate enemies but has 1 health bar.

It is weak to bleed. So each use stacks 8 bleed on it.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Onmi posted:

There is a boss called the Formless flesh, it takes up all 4 spots and counts as 4 separate enemies but has 1 health bar.

It is weak to bleed. So each use stacks 8 bleed on it.

I beat them up with Arbalest/Jester/Highway/Leper easily enough doing bleed stacking and AoE damage easily enough. I was wondering if there was a more general use case, really.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Only thing I really dislike about the game is having to grind replacement adventurers up from level 0 if (when) their predecessor bites it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm in week 15

I hate to break it to you but advice from anyone at week 15 is worthless.

The game has a reputation for being hard yes, but that doesn't start until you hit the higher level missions. Even bozos can get through the apprentice dungeons with little difficulty. It is not a difficult game in the early dungeons. I laugh every time someone is like "guys I just got this game and beat my first boss and I'm doing great this is easy!!!!"