Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Glad to hear people are liking King Aroo! it's one of my longtime favorites too, and I've never been able to understand why it's not more widely known.

King Aroo (January 6, 1951)

Barnaby (June 13, 1942)

Nancy (February 20, 1943)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3ZpRL0x7g

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man but would I like to hear the husband's thoughts in this Mary Worth storyline.
I actually think he doesn't mind having the ol' busybody around. She takes care of the kid and pays her own way while he and the wife get to gently caress around like wild animals.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Sluggo has a hypersomnic disorder and possible undiagnosed Prader-Willi.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Next week, Mary fondly remembers her stripper days.

My favorite thing is the horndog parents completely ignoring whatever Mary and Olive are nattering on about and just clasping hands and eyefucking each other across the table in front of the acrobats and everybody.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (November 30-December 1, 1928)

Pogo (January 31-February 1, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (March 1-3, 1954)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Oh boy, I sure hope the two worst people in this strip get together! To form a murder/suicide pact!

Sorry to dash your and Gunther's hopes, but Bernice just needs somebody to bellyache to about her (non)issue with star head boy, whatever the hell his name is.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Welp. Turns out that googling for 'Gay and her gang' is not a such good idea... but I like this Gladys Parker's style! Although it seems like she had to inject some innuendo into all of her comic strip names... flapper fanny, really???

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Uh, Fanny is a perfectly respectable name for a young woman, thank you.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I know at least one girl I went to school with was named Fanny.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

If only there was someone around with a cave full of ancient treasures!

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Topical :eyepop:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Is Brooke still even published in papers? Last I heard he was published in just one in Houston.

Halfway through that year long arc about grandma loving a Nazi a Seattle paper dropped him and said in a statement that both of his fans can continue to follow the arc online. That was a pretty good dis.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Universal Uclick's site says that 9CL "appears in over 60 newspapers worldwide, including the Los Angeles Times, Houston Chronicle, Calgary Sun and Columbus Dispatch." Whether it is true or not, I don't know.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mr. Brisk is a nazi if the last panel is anything to go by.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Selachian posted:

Universal Uclick's site says that 9CL "appears in over 60 newspapers worldwide, including the Los Angeles Times, Houston Chronicle, Calgary Sun and Columbus Dispatch." Whether it is true or not, I don't know.

Surely there are enough goons in enough cities to test this.

I'll start. These are the strips that currently appear in the Comics section of the weekday WaPo print edition. (I don't subscribe, but I bought one for this. Yay me.):

Classic Doonesbury; Pickles; Red and Rover; Agnes; Frank and Ernest; Wumo; Classic Peanuts; Mike du Jour; Rhymes with Orange; Mark Trail; Lio; Mother Goose and Grimm; Hagar the Horrible; Baldo; Blondie; Sally Forth; Sherman's Lagoon; Curtis; Brewster Rockit: Space Guy!; Mutts; Zits; Dilbert; Judge Parker; Frazz; Candorville; Garfield; Barney and Clyde; Dustin; The Amazing Spiderman; Prickly City; Loose Parts; Non Sequitur; Baby Blues; Big Nate; On the Fastrack; Beetle Bailey; Pearls before Swine; Speed Bump; Dennis the Menace; Famiily Circus; Reply All Lite

I'd find it interesting to see what other papers run in their print editions.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, that's my local paper, so I guess I can't add anything to this.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (February 2, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

"Oh forgive me, I'm from the 1890s, when we put inconvenient people out of sight."

And speaking of throwbacks, today's Crankshaft is for the old and the old at heart.

Out Our Way (September 8-9, 1928)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Johnny Walker posted:

It's kind of neat just to see work from a woman cartoonist from back then.

Agreed - how many comics made by women do we post, even today?

The comics I post go in date order, so “Gay and Her Gang” (1930) fits in after Everett True (1914), but before Fritzi Ritz (1938).

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Gay and Her Gang (Thank you goatface!) (1930, click for big)

Fritzi Ritz

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slammy posted:

Gay and Her Gang
I was starting to miss the recurring Prince Valiant joke and I hope this will make up for it.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Slammy posted:

Currently we're down to Six Chix, Foob, the Dinette Set, and the Moomin strips that were done by Tove. Real sausage fest, innit.

e: Also Tina's Groove, which I keep forgetting about.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 31, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Phoebe and her Unicorn, though it's been too long since it last got posted, I think.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tin's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

I just finally saw Star Wars last night, and had to share this dreadful, dreadful Mother Goose & Grimm from today.

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

I must say, I appreciate the reversal on the usual some gizmo punchline.

The Phantom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Karen Moy writes Mary Worth, and Margaret Shulock used to write A3G.

Slammy posted:

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

I wonder who the first one was directed at, if anyone in particular. I bet it might have been easier back then to rip off comics between one city and another.

The second one is kind of disturbing. Dreams of the Huffing Fiend.
LAPTOP

F Minus

And yet, she's still cold.

Mary Worth

Always remember to cliche your bromides and platitudes!

Rex Morgan MD

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Selachian posted:

Yeah its been in the Sun forever for some reason. The Sun papers are the Canadian trash tabloids, but the two things they always had were a better sports and comics section. The Sunday Sun used to have this huge comics pullout. Obviously as a kid I thought 9CL was boring and incomprehensible but this was before Brooke slipped into full delusional I think; basically I thought it was bad but had no idea how bad.

Basically, given how tabloid the Sun is I'm surprised it's run for so long there. There must be an audience for it, given how I've heard what can happen when papers pull awful but long-running comics...

Mind you, I rarely read the Sun (or even the "respectable" Herald anymore) so I'm just assuming the Universal site isn't lying.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 31, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows who's important in their lives.

Working Daze is a mistake made of mistakes.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix lists accomplishments.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (November 30-December 1, 1928)

both the second and third panels of this own

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix lists accomplishments.

Radioactive Phil Collins is the result of a Brian Eno project that got deeply out of hand.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Currently we're down to Six Chix, Foob, the Dinette Set, and the Moomin strips that were done by Tove. Real sausage fest, innit.

e: Also Tina's Groove, which I keep forgetting about.

And Rhymes with Orange. Speaking of.

Pros and Cons, however, is not done by a woman.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons, however, is not done by a woman.

This is good and accurate.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I tried to post this stuff earlier, but then the forums ate my reply and I lost the will to post comics ever again.

But now I'm back. Let's see if this works!

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Ugh. She's going to read about him fighting again and, despite everything she knows about him, instantly decide that he's become a terrible person.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

I love how once and a while he'll just drop some insanely heavy poo poo.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Magic Mary XXL

Better clean out my search history now I guess, thanks Mary

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

drat, even with the wonky art the strip suddenly looks 1000x better that way.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

For someone who is going to spend their life fighting crime until they get brutally murdered in their late 30s, like every Phantom before him, you'd think he'd be less interest in spending half a decade in a monastery hidden in the arse of the world and more interested in say, using his mother's UN credentials and father's Jungle Patrol influence to finagle a place in Quantico learning world leading crime fighting techniques.

• Locked thread