Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Novell had a Linux distribution that was quite good for enterprise work, but Red Hat just trounced them in Sales. Poor Novell:they had some amazingly good engineers, but couldn't sell for poo poo.
You mean SuSE? Or they had something else? I miss Novell. Groupwise, NetWare, and NDS were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Aunt Beth posted:

You mean SuSE? Or they had something else? I miss Novell. Groupwise, NetWare, and NDS were great.

SuSE Linux Enterprise Server. (SLES)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

If you can connect to it and get a shell, the command "uname -a" will spit out a description of the version, distrivution, and build date

So for instance on some old debian server:
$ uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.24-1-686 #1 SMP Thu May 8 02:16:39 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
"debian" there would be the hostname.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

stubblyhead posted:

How do you tell in a scenario like that?

ls -alF /etc/*release

A bunch of distros have files named stuff like "system-release" or "os-release" in /etc. Pick one and take a look.

uname -a just tells you about the kernel, not the distro. Sometimes kernel versions that are specially patched will have useful information in them about the patch itself, sometimes including the vendor name... but sometimes it's just useless.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

My job would be so much better if I never had to deal with Parallels. I work in a University environment that's maybe 85% Windows-based, with a few people that (edit: want) Macs.

I don't hate Macs. I'm not as good at using them as I am a Windows machine, but that isn't their fault. I wish they fit into our AD structure a bit better but it works, so whatever. What bothers me is that 90% of the people that want Macs turn around and want Parallels installed on it so that they can run Windows, which they then use as their primary machine.

So we're spending :homebrew: Apple-money to buy a machine that has less hardware capability than an equivalently-priced Dell, and then further hobbling it by making it run two OSs at the same time.

We're having this problem in spades at my shop. They want Macs, but their Exchange email has to go into Mac Mail and only Mac Mail. They want their email on everything loving thing they own and we're just not equipped to offer them that. Everyone had to use Good for Enterprise or a Blackberry. I'm waiting for them to flop a dead cat on my desk and demand they get their email on that too. And they like to blame us because their Ipad pro isn't shipping.

It absolutely is a status symbol, both the machines themselves and their need to have email on every last device they have. You seriously need it on your tablet AND your phone?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

18 Character Limit posted:

SuSE Linux Enterprise Server. (SLES)

Are they still big in Europe?

It seemed like Linux was either something with a name behind it (RedHat) or something free (Ubuntu, CentOS, or something else if you were a small shop or had a neckbeard admin)

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Spazz posted:

We're decommissioning our SMTP relay, which is not my department/issue, but I was contacted by a colleague who needed help updating a box that was still sending mail through the old relay. It's a legacy Server 2003R2 box that is running some old ASP frontpage sites. I say "Sure, I can do this. I'll just update the SMTP setting in IIS."

:negative:

The box is completely undocumented. The original system owners have long left the company, department, or refuse to acknowledge they ever had anything to do with it. Everything is hard coded. Everything is hard coded. Ok, I can work with this. I find the main wwwroot (which is split among 3 drives) and there are dozens of sites in this system.

I can still make this work... I just need to find the old SMTP relay hostname in these files but, alas, no PowerShell. I didn't want to install WMF and risk breaking some unknown dependency, so I had to use Windows CMD not unlike a caveman before discovering fire. How many occurrences were there you may ask? 192.

Anyway, I just got done fixing and testing each of these web forms. I'm going to go crack open that bottle of Lagavulin 16 I bought a few months ago and ponder my career path.

Man at that point I'd be very tempted to just modify the host file.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Are they still big in Europe?

It seemed like Linux was either something with a name behind it (RedHat) or something free (Ubuntu, CentOS, or something else if you were a small shop or had a neckbeard admin)

RHEL is the big player, but lots of products use SUSE as backend (such as various Siemens systems). I quite like SUSE (or rather, Open SUSE). :shobon:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

skooma512 posted:

We're having this problem in spades at my shop. They want Macs, but their Exchange email has to go into Mac Mail and only Mac Mail. They want their email on everything loving thing they own and we're just not equipped to offer them that. Everyone had to use Good for Enterprise or a Blackberry. I'm waiting for them to flop a dead cat on my desk and demand they get their email on that too. And they like to blame us because their Ipad pro isn't shipping.

It absolutely is a status symbol, both the machines themselves and their need to have email on every last device they have. You seriously need it on your tablet AND your phone?

This drove me nuts at my last job but we were thankfully able to get a handle on it. Marketing HAD to have new Macbook Airs. HAD TO. When we said no they went out and bought a bunch for themselves anyway. We said we wouldnt support them and of course the VP of marketing (which is everyone in marketing by the way, they are all VPs of something meaningless within marketing) came by and threw a hissy fit which led to a meeting with marketing and the CIO. The CIO actually listened and kept asking why they HAD to have a mac.

:smug: "We need it for Adobe, like photoshop and stuff."
:colbert: "OK we have enterprise Adobe Cloud licenses, you can use that on a PC and its the same, what else do you have to have a mac for?"
:smug: "For office! We have to have it for office cause we like how it looks!"
:colbert: "Office for Mac is garbage, it runs better on Windows."
:smug: "Uuummmm, Quicktime! We use Quicktime a lot!"
:colbert: "We'll buy Quicktime pro licenses for Windows for you, what else?"
:smug: "We just like the look and feel of it!"
:colbert: "OK we'll replace them with these brand new top of the line XPSs or Latitudes your choice. Clearly you dont HAVE to have these macs and as they werent purchased through IT we will quit supporting them".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Marketing has Macs here. Why? I don't know. THEY JUST WORK BETTER

So there's the fun of having to troubleshoot 2 Macs that have weird issues with mapping drives, Microsoft Outlook, and the rest of the Office on Mac weirdness.

You know you guys would save us a lot of trouble if you just got PC's. Plus a 27" iMac is $2500 and a Dell PC with a 27" IPS is only like $1300....

"We had this discussion before, it's just easier to do our jobs on Macs..."

Whatevs.

I'm a die-hard Mac user at home but I wouldn't try to do my loving office job on one.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yay! I might possibly be able to replace the 10 remaining XP machines we have!

Now if I can just convince them to let me replace the 4 Windows 2003 domain controllers...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

As non-Linux user why and how did RHEL/Fedora become the dominating business distribution as opposed to Ubuntu/Suse?

In addition to what everyone else said, even before that Red Hat was a super popular distribution as being one the first coherent distros out there. If I recall, their "Bat" release (Halloween release with bat on disc) was kernel version 0.99.

Way back in the day, Suse and RadHat were super popular for iso releases and Slackware was good because it broke up its distros in 1.44MB chunks, making it easy to set up using only diskettes. Debian was popular as well, but I seem to remember it being a stone cold bitch to set up on my system, so I never really used it. I also remember Yggdrasil as being the first "plug and play" release, but it was mostly educated guesses during setup.

Crowley posted:

RHEL is the big player, but lots of products use SUSE as backend (such as various Siemens systems). I quite like SUSE (or rather, Open SUSE). :shobon:

That would make sense, since before Novell bought them SuSE was a German company like Staroffice was prior to Sun purchasing them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Some gently caress head in Customer Service decided to go into the networking closet and PLUG HIS DHCP SERVER INTO ENGINEERING'S SWITCH. WHAT IN THE GOD drat gently caress.

I'm super pissed about this as it cost me 8+ hours on Friday.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ratbert90 posted:

Some gently caress head in Customer Service decided to go into the networking closet and PLUG HIS DHCP SERVER INTO ENGINEERING'S SWITCH. WHAT IN THE GOD drat gently caress.

Owned.

My RA in dorms plugged in his Router into the jack, taking down the entire Campus.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Tab8715 posted:

Owned.

My RA in dorms plugged in his Router into the jack, taking down the entire Campus.

Apparently before I worked here, our largest retail client (2000+ locations) had their entire network taken down by a single mis-configured router. A new router was sent to a store, probably be their current one was hosed, they plugged it in, and every store's internet ceased to function (except their's) finally someone figured it out, called the store, told them the deal and to unplug it. They unplugged it, and then 30 minutes plugged it in again, cycle repeats. After the second time this happened, we sent someone out there (roughly a 2 hour drive) to physically remove the router and scolded the store for being selfish dicks.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ratbert90 posted:

Sounds like it's time to start looking at who has access to server equipment and ban chucklefucks like this from getting in. No reason some non-IT customer service jackoff should even be allowed near a network/server closet, period.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Does the network guy have a part time position at McDonalds or something? Rogue DHCP servers are trivial to block and has come up in this thread a few times before.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MrMoo posted:

Does the network guy have a part time position at McDonalds or something? Rogue DHCP servers are trivial to block and has come up in this thread a few times before.

I'm a embedded Linux engineer not a Network guy, but I'm being forced to learn networking because of this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMoo posted:

I was going to say, that's not an 8+ hour problem to solve.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Was this the root cause of the wackiness you were posting about?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Was this the root cause of the wackiness you were posting about?

As far as I can tell. There's a special cisco router that I can't touch that's supposed to be the gateway.

As soon as I unplugged the other dhcp server from our switch I could ping everything just fine. :psyduck:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MrMoo posted:

How do you block rouge DHCP Servers?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

Most layer 2 switches have some kind of DHCP snooping feature that only lets DHCP requests through on trusted vlans/ports/networks

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Block sephora.com in the web filter.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Rogue. :argh:

Fake edit: Sorry for the poo poo-post, flashbacks from playing WoW.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Block sephora.com in the web filter.

Ha, it wasn't my typo this time.

Example HP Procurve DHCP snooping configuration:
code:
dhcp-snooping
dhcp-snooping authorized-server 10.6.27.34
dhcp-snooping authorized-server 10.6.28.24
dhcp-snooping vlan 1 615-617 627-628 630-631 
An article walking through the configuration.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Re: DHCP snooping chat, if you use IP helper then do you need to permit the port/IP that the actual DHCP servers are connected to, the port/IP that whatever is handling the relaying is on, both, or the "depends on the switch they are all different" option?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Thanks Ants posted:

Re: DHCP snooping chat, if you use IP helper then do you need to permit the port/IP that the actual DHCP servers are connected to, the port/IP that whatever is handling the relaying is on, both, or the "depends on the switch they are all different" option?

In Procurve-land you list the authorized-server IPs, and then you whitelist the ports that the authorized servers are coming from.

You don't need to IP-whitelist the gateways.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I think you can do both, depending on vendor. If I remember right on Brocade ICX at least, if you designate a port for clients then DHCP server traffic is blocked, but if you designate it as a server port then DHCP client traffic isn't forwarded. The default behavior when you enable DHCP snooping is for the switch to pre-populate its MAC and ARP tables, the blocking is optional.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I got the network operator job! :toot:

Only the casual position instead of full-time, so my hours are gonna fluctuate between early-morning and afternoon starts but at least I get to sit and watch a fiber-optic network while learning stuff.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You know the camera at the remote site in this area?
No I don't know the layout of that site I've never been I didn't know we had any cameras there but okay.

Turns out the camera was getting stuck so they reset it to factory defaults, turns out it just needed a good dusting! So resetting it wasn't an actual fix.

There is no documentation on the thing, and they claim the IP is an external address. Other cameras are on the same IP with different ports configured. almost 2 hours later I finally get the model and get into the camera and get it configured on the old port and even IP because I dug around the firewall settings. Made a local user with the requested username and password and called it a day.

Please don't reset equipment without calling IT, thanks. If I had documented the settings first this would have been 10 minutes tops to fix. Assuming I had even known the administrative username and password but I have a pretty good idea. Really what took so long was getting the model number and the fact that we have more cameras there out of the person.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This drove me nuts at my last job but we were thankfully able to get a handle on it. Marketing HAD to have new Macbook Airs. HAD TO. When we said no they went out and bought a bunch for themselves anyway. We said we wouldnt support them and of course the VP of marketing (which is everyone in marketing by the way, they are all VPs of something meaningless within marketing) came by and threw a hissy fit which led to a meeting with marketing and the CIO. The CIO actually listened and kept asking why they HAD to have a mac.

:smug: "We need it for Adobe, like photoshop and stuff."
:colbert: "OK we have enterprise Adobe Cloud licenses, you can use that on a PC and its the same, what else do you have to have a mac for?"
:smug: "For office! We have to have it for office cause we like how it looks!"
:colbert: "Office for Mac is garbage, it runs better on Windows."
:smug: "Uuummmm, Quicktime! We use Quicktime a lot!"
:colbert: "We'll buy Quicktime pro licenses for Windows for you, what else?"
:smug: "We just like the look and feel of it!"
:colbert: "OK we'll replace them with these brand new top of the line XPSs or Latitudes your choice. Clearly you dont HAVE to have these macs and as they werent purchased through IT we will quit supporting them".

And yet if you ask these people they will otherwise completely insist they know nothing about computers, but swear on their mother's grave Macs are better. They're functionally identical to a PC in the user experience (for twice the price) and a complete headache on the backend unless you have built the infrastructure for it and don't rely on domains or exchange.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
they should offer an 'Aspiring MBA/Marketing VP' package deal of a MacBook Air and base model BMW 3-series but marked up like an additional 10%

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

skooma512 posted:

And yet if you ask these people they will otherwise completely insist they know nothing about computers, but swear on their mother's grave Macs are better. They're functionally identical to a PC in the user experience (for twice the price) and a complete headache on the backend unless you have built the infrastructure for it and don't rely on domains or exchange.

This x 10000000. gently caress Macs. Yes, they're fine, but gently caress Macs. gently caress the people that BUY Macs and insist they are "better" for nebulous reasons. gently caress the people who bought a $200 walmart special PC and then upgrade to a $3k mac and go "OH BUT THE MAC IS SO MUCH FASTER". Well the gently caress you say? Of course a goddamn loving Corvette (insert random domestic performance car here) is faster then your dads old beat to poo poo Yugo.

Pardon the rant, its been a day.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

God I hate marketing so much. Its just full of spoiled entitled little shits. I can remember them bitching about their precious Mac books not loading Outlook calendars or something and raising a poo poo fit when we told them WE DONT SUPPORT OFFICE MAC! Use OWA which is 99% the same as Outlook 2013 and has everything loaded. Somehow, one of the million VPs of marketing managed to get a meeting in with CEO, CIO, and CFO and just bitch left and right which meant that IT had to spend time pretending to seriously consider other email alternatives. gently caress my blood pressure is going up just thinking about those stupid marketing shits.

Lets share our favorite stories of marketing/sales assholes. My favorite: Some douchebag sales guy went out and bought a hooker for a client and expensed, my company gladly reimbursed this business expense until the sales guys wife called up questioning what the charge was on their statement. This then led to a whole series of revelations including the fact that accounting had been covering up this poo poo for a while and hiding it from the federally mandated disclosure forms. The sales guy was not fired, he brings in money. The head of accounting who knew about this and fully supported this was not fired, he is an integral part of the companies leadership. Instead the poor payroll person at the bottom of the totem pole was fired for following her orders on charges that she might have not even know what were for. gently caress marketing/sales.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

This was incredibly helpful and I thank you!

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

ratbert90 posted:

Something similar happened at my workplace. I get into work monday, login to email and support apps. Co-worker turns around and asks "you can get on the internet?"

Turns out the Friday closing support rep decided to do some network learning by turning my computer into a DHCP server and not telling anyone. Changed my computer back to a DHCP administered address so it would stop acting as the DHCP server and everything started working again.

The closing tech didn't last long here.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

God I hate marketing so much. Its just full of spoiled entitled little shits. I can remember them bitching about their precious Mac books not loading Outlook calendars or something and raising a poo poo fit when we told them WE DONT SUPPORT OFFICE MAC! Use OWA which is 99% the same as Outlook 2013 and has everything loaded. Somehow, one of the million VPs of marketing managed to get a meeting in with CEO, CIO, and CFO and just bitch left and right which meant that IT had to spend time pretending to seriously consider other email alternatives. gently caress my blood pressure is going up just thinking about those stupid marketing shits.

Lets share our favorite stories of marketing/sales assholes. My favorite: Some douchebag sales guy went out and bought a hooker for a client and expensed, my company gladly reimbursed this business expense until the sales guys wife called up questioning what the charge was on their statement. This then led to a whole series of revelations including the fact that accounting had been covering up this poo poo for a while and hiding it from the federally mandated disclosure forms. The sales guy was not fired, he brings in money. The head of accounting who knew about this and fully supported this was not fired, he is an integral part of the companies leadership. Instead the poor payroll person at the bottom of the totem pole was fired for following her orders on charges that she might have not even know what were for. gently caress marketing/sales.

Hahah you've got to be making GBS threads me, they fire the person just punching in numbers? What a joke. They'll likely get the poo poo sued out of them, i'm guessing.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

gently caress this dumb planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GoatShaver posted:

Hahah you've got to be making GBS threads me, they fire the person just punching in numbers? What a joke. They'll likely get the poo poo sued out of them, i'm guessing.

Very few people can afford to take the time to do that when they're unemployed, not to mention not wanting background checks to show they sued their last employer.