Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Moldy Taxes posted:

The world didn't need a photo realistic Shantotto.

She somehow gets creepier with every rendition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

But te dude is more popular than pretty much any other FFXIII-verse character.

I don't know if this is true

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lightning and Caius wax and wane philosophical in XIII-2 and LR, that's enough interaction to put them as opposites.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Caius Ballad, the most powerful villain in all of Final Fantasy, transcends any notion of popularity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

Obviously it will be Jihl, the character so awful she got casually killed by the real villain and was never spoken of again. And yet she was still given her own lovely DLC fight for the sequel.
I think Jihl got the DLC in 13-2 as a mulligan because she was an actual important villain in one of the story revisions of 13 so I could see them taking the further opportunity to trot out more unused material they were sad to shelf.

But anyway, Caius can't be a bad guy because he is a good guy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Liam O Brien's already there p much

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

Liam O'Brien makes me want to believe it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

zedprime posted:

I think Jihl got the DLC in 13-2 as a mulligan because she was an actual important villain in one of the story revisions of 13 so I could see them taking the further opportunity to trot out more unused material they were sad to shelf.

She got the DLC fight but they still couldn't think of anything for her to do so she just summons some palette swaps and stands there, it's so sad

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Failboattootoot posted:

I picked up FF Explorers today and it seems cute and fun, but it's super easy. Maybe it's because I went back and the monsters are tuned early on for a white mage to slowly beat them to death? Things dying in one Explosive Fist combo is a bit much though. Still, as someone who never liked the plodding nature of MH, I do really like how Reesonance makes you rush around.

After you get a short ways in you'll unlock bonus mission objectives which make things more difficult, such as doubling enemy HP and Damage and Halving your own damage. Me and my buds have taken to calling it Monster Hunter Mode.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Admittedly I can't speak for Japan but us gaijin seem to like him a lot. It hardly means much I know but I was surprised to read he won some Bes Villain Poll. I just remember because it was cited on Wikipedia.

But when you get right down to it, Caius was pushed almost as hard as Lightning. It's all about marketing. The relentless "shove Lightning in their faces" strategy worked and they kinda did that for Caius, too. He's pretty much a main character of XIII-2, along with Serah and Noel and I guess Yeul, so he would have the "recognition factor" that all the other antagonists lack.

zedprime posted:

This seems plausible, I never thought of that.

Interesting suggestion for XIII Chaos Rep: Lumina. This is not my idea.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 30, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
As someone who's never played XIII-2 I have no idea who Caius is or what he looks like.

I already know he can't be cooler than Gaius though!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

As someone who's never played XIII-2 I have no idea who Caius is or what he looks like.

I already know he can't be cooler than Gaius though!

Imagine Nightmare from Soul Calibur but designed by Nomura.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I thought the mini dungeon in ff3 was a cool gimmick

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Imagine Nightmare from Soul Calibur but designed by Nomura.

So just Nightmare then?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baal posted:

So just Nightmare then?
Less lovecraftian flesh crawling, more girly hips in a purple jump suit.

And voiced by Liam O'brien doing his best to villainously chew the words. I would kill for a sitcom where Caius narrated normal every day activities.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

zedprime posted:

So basically if we had Caius, we'd have to remove Lightning, which might be a no-go. And it's bupkis, I tell you. I haven't played 13-2 but HOT drat DO I LIKE THE IDEA OF BEING CAIUS.

Unrelated, but in LR, if I get the opening attack as a Perfect Attack, can I just mash to get more Perfect Attacks? Or do I have to time really loving spot-on on PC where I don't think I got >30 FPS somehow.

EDIT:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Every individual attack in a chain needs to be timed correctly for all of them to get a perfect timing bonus. It's not too bad once you work out the rhythm for each particular attack you're using.

But I'm already at four different attacks equipped. (Attack, Blizzard, Thunder, Shinespark Sparkstrike Lv. 2 somehow). At least Guard is pretty easy for low-power spells like Aero.

widespread fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 30, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Every individual attack in a chain needs to be timed correctly for all of them to get a perfect timing bonus. It's not too bad once you work out the rhythm for each particular attack you're using.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

After you get a short ways in you'll unlock bonus mission objectives which make things more difficult, such as doubling enemy HP and Damage and Halving your own damage. Me and my buds have taken to calling it Monster Hunter Mode.

Cool. I was expecting it to be easy, everyone said as much. but it will be nice to up things a bit.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

She somehow gets creepier with every rendition.

Which is a shame because the original 3D depiction of her uprezzed would be perfect.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

It wouldn't make any real sense, thematically. Caius and Lightning have pretty much no connection. But the dude is more popular than pretty much any other FFXIII-verse character.

Uh they fight each other in like a dozen times while reciting 7th Grade philosophy at each other. That's the only connection anyone in XIII ever has with a villain.
More importantly though he has a sexy voice.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Yes. Siegfried and his Soul Edge is my favorite character from XIII too. :allears:

I wouldn't mind Caius so much if his entire existence wasn't the biggest plot hole in the series.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Augus posted:

Uh they fight each other in like a dozen times while reciting 7th Grade philosophy at each other. That's the only connection anyone in XIII ever has with a villain.
More importantly though he has a sexy voice.

Noel and Caius kind of have a pretty big backstory. As in, it is Noel's entire backstory and most of the main plot of XIII-2.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I wouldn't mind Caius so much if his entire existence wasn't the biggest plot hole in the series.

What do you mean? How is it a plot hole?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Caius' immortality came from Etro shoving her heart into him, so when he is killed for good it also kills Etro which prompts the Chaos to erupt from Valhalla.

...And then Caius just kind of casually comes back to life in the secret ending of XIII-2 which completely invalidates the ending in a spectacularly bullshit fashion.

I suppose Lightning Returns gave some valid reasoning for why he suddenly popped back into being yet again to be fair, but it still felt like cheap, awful plot twist writing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

put rikku in the game

e: make her villain wakka

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Failboattootoot posted:

Cool. I was expecting it to be easy, everyone said as much. but it will be nice to up things a bit.

As a bonus, those options make it much easier to break parts on boss enemies that allow that before you murder them, although you might need to be certain jobs for that as I found it near impossible to do so reliably as a melee job and much easier as a Machinist that lets me target specific parts from range.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Caius' immortality came from Etro shoving her heart into him, so when he is killed for good it also kills Etro which prompts the Chaos to erupt from Valhalla.

...And then Caius just kind of casually comes back to life in the secret ending of XIII-2 which completely invalidates the ending in a spectacularly bullshit fashion.

I suppose Lightning Returns gave some valid reasoning for why he suddenly popped back into being yet again to be fair, but it still felt like cheap, awful plot twist writing.

If you want cheap writing how about when Lightning needs someone to run an errand, she reaches into the infinity of all space and time and randomly plucks out the one man who knows Caius's origin story and is able to kill him

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tempo 119 posted:

If you want cheap writing how about when Lightning needs someone to run an errand, she reaches into the infinity of all space and time and randomly plucks out the one man who knows Caius's origin story and is able to kill him
My brain started glazing over by the last half of 13-2 but I thought it was that Noel followed Caius' breadcrumbs to Valhalla and Lightning's agency only started when she was able to send him to 3AF.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

She somehow already knew that his name was Santa Christ, though. Maybe she can just see from Valhalla? :shrug:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Guys the only thing that can make the biting loneliness go away as I stare at the four walls of my room in my small empty apartment draw closer and closer until one day they will swallow me whole into the abyss of forgotten people is FFXV coming out. I need it to come out. It doesn't even have to be a good game, I just want it to finally be released.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

She somehow already knew that his name was Santa Christ, though. Maybe she can just see from Valhalla? :shrug:

Looking it up, Wiki confirms it was Etro who brought him to Valhalla, which I kinda figured since she's also the one who brought Lightning there. Lightning wasn't a goddess in the second game, just glorified middle management. Etro got Lightning to save the world and Light in turn delegated the task to Noel and Serah.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 31, 2016

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The live streaming event is at 11pm EST, I thought it was at 10. I got all excited for nothing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/SquareEnixPresents

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The other FF13 Dissidia entrant should just be another Lightning, case closed.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mega64 posted:

The other FF13 Dissidia entrant should just be another Lightning, case closed.

There's always Serah I guess

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Someone did already suggest Lumina.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, hello there.

From this video, which is still a livestream as of now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That explains what they're doing with the Barret scene in FF7r. You can control the aim of your party member's special abilities.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Prepare to soil your drawers, the raw Taipei stage talk detail was amazing.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Yechezkel posted:

Well, hello there.

From this video, which is still a livestream as of now.

Villain or Villain's Sidekick? Because if Villain... well, I can just see the comments about a boy band vs some leather-clad Dark Knight woman or some poo poo.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

Prepare to soil your drawers, the raw Taipei stage talk detail was amazing.

First stream just finished. Here is the footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0sB5bFUA_A&t=2842s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This sure is a Shimomura soundtrack