Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Crabtree posted:

How cool are Psionics now or will that likely be hidden deep within the game?

In addition to what Lotish said, they're a full-fledged class now with a huge list of powers instead of being a dinky template you stick on top of an existing soldier, and you seem to get them significantly earlier in the campaign instead of at the 2/3rds done point because IIRC you get them from either researching sectoid bodies or skulljacking a sectoid, and sectoids are one of the first enemies you ever see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kanos posted:

In addition to what Lotish said, they're a full-fledged class now with a huge list of powers instead of being a dinky template you stick on top of an existing soldier, and you seem to get them significantly earlier in the campaign instead of at the 2/3rds done point because IIRC you get them from either researching sectoid bodies or skulljacking a sectoid, and sectoids are one of the first enemies you ever see.

However, according to Jake they are very hard to get and you'll be lucky if you have more than one in your roster.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Researching and building psionics stuff requires a fair amount of Elerium crystals from either supply raids, mission rewards, Avenger salvage or the black market, which does limit how many space wizards you can get.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Speedball posted:

Bureau Mod. Turn the Bureau into a proper XCOM game with tactical engagements and guys with laser-shooting tommy guns. Hey, it could happen!

Or a 1920's lovecraft mod where you fly around the US in a modified mail plane, meeting informants and battling cultists to hold off the great old ones.

I would pay no less than seventy three billion dollars for this game.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

fspades posted:

However, according to Jake they are very hard to get and you'll be lucky if you have more than one in your roster.

I thought he said they were expensive to train, not hard to get?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

He said having more than one was going to be rare, pretty much because of time and resources involved. I think he said that you need a psi-training chamber per operative, so they take up an entire square on the ant-farm.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Nordick posted:

I wonder how long it will take for the first Jagged Alliance total conversion project to start.
Total conversion is :effort: of course, but believe me I'm gonna start working on Jagged Alliance voice sets pretty soon.

I will hunt aliens with Hitman and Ice.

Kennel posted:

Reminds me of the original Red Alert which let me make guns that shot attack dogs.
Okay, how about this:
90% chance of firing pigeon (moderate damage, confuses and disrupts psionics)
10% chance of firing dog (alien sees adorable dog and turns on overlords that would outlaw pet ownership, dog and alien both become permanent recruits)

poo poo I'm turning into Junpei.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

kater posted:

So is this all it was? The LW guy seemed to have stopped talking about 20 minutes in and all they showed off was some custom weapons and enemies and abilities. Which, neat, but that's pretty much the most basic thing you can paste into the game and seems to exist solely to say Long War a couple of times.

What did you expect, them to reveal their already finished full conversion mod?

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...
http://www.twitch.tv/pax2/v/38694034?t=2h17m30s

Replays and freecam (and tactical skirmish mode and more) confirmed for XCOM 2 on day 1 as part of Devmode. The replays feature an SC2-style feature where you can take over at any point in the replay and start playing the mission from that point. Keep in mind these replays are automatically generated even on Ironman missions and it will be possible to send these replays to people and host them online ala a lightweight savefile.

:shittypop::shittypop::shittypop:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Now that I think on it, I wonder if Solace works even during an enemy action. Say a sectoid dominated a ranger and sent him to chop up my psi op. Would he be freed of control and abort his attack as he got close?

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Speedball posted:

Now that I think on it, I wonder if Solace works even during an enemy action. Say a sectoid dominated a ranger and sent him to chop up my psi op. Would he be freed of control and abort his attack as he got close?

"Look upon the face of Psi Doorn and repent"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So how will mod be installed and used by a player, exactly? Will it be like a Bethesda game where you just tic a box before you launch the game to use a particular mod?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Oh Beaglerush, did you ever figure out if retraining a soldier in the AWC keeps whatever bonus perks they got? I assume it did, but wasn't sure.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Solomonic posted:

*stares meaningfully into the distance* XCOM 2 is going to be really good and I want to play it

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

fspades posted:

Not hard to get, just very expensive to train, so multiples of them is probably a poor use of resources.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

LightWarden posted:

Oh Beaglerush, did you ever figure out if retraining a soldier in the AWC keeps whatever bonus perks they got? I assume it did, but wasn't sure.

I don't believe so, otherwise it's ripe for abuse. I could be wrong though, I didn't explicitly test for it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kanos posted:

Not hard to get, just very expensive to train, so multiples of them is probably a poor use of resources.

Kind of like a team of six Paladin MECs. Awesome but very impractical.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
While I know rerolling until you get the perk you want to complete your god of destruction is probably off the table, I'm wondering what happens if you get a bonus perk that makes you think "oh, this would go really well with a different build of this class" and then retrain.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Beagle posted:

Replays and freecam (and tactical skirmish mode and more) confirmed for XCOM 2 on day 1 as part of Devmode. The replays feature an SC2-style feature where you can take over at any point in the replay and start playing the mission from that point. Keep in mind these replays are automatically generated even on Ironman missions and it will be possible to send these replays to people and host them online ala a lightweight savefile.

I will achieve a new level of savescumming

Lotish posted:

So how will mod be installed and used by a player, exactly? Will it be like a Bethesda game where you just tic a box before you launch the game to use a particular mod?

They mentioned that mods use "project files" so I would assume they will work similarly as Bethesda games .esp files.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If they don't get "de-leveled" and you only get bonus perks on an original level up, then I think keeping the bonus perks would be fine. Get to rank 4, get a bonus perk, retrain and repick your four ranks of abilities, but keep that bonus from the AWC.

Otherwise I'd imagine you play the AWC roulette with every retraining. "poo poo, my X didn't get Y like I wanted; better retrain him, I guess."

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Beagle posted:

Oh hell yes. I wonder if this'll be like the mode I was daydreaming about in the last thread where it doesn't show any of your cursor moves/selections/etc and just shows you stuff that happened.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The Twitch stream was a bit painful to watch. Those Firaxis guys do not have Jake Solomon's personality. The modding tools and procedural map generation look powerful and fairly easy to use. Automatically changing a map from arid desert to temperate forest to frozen tundra or something in between on the fly was really impressive.

kater posted:

So is this all it was? The LW guy seemed to have stopped talking about 20 minutes in and all they showed off was some custom weapons and enemies and abilities. Which, neat, but that's pretty much the most basic thing you can paste into the game and seems to exist solely to say Long War a couple of times.
The Eurogamer video with Jake and the Long War guy from today is a better (and shorter!) explanation of why they wanted the Long War people involved.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Have they given any indication to how urgent the whole Avatar project thing will be? I'm the kind of idiot that panics way too much about forced time limits even when I think that they make the game better and are a good design decision. Is it going to be the case where we can delay it indefinitely if we just keep having successful missions? Or is that just going to delay it for a few months until we're eventually forced to do it? I just want to know how much am I going to be able to break the game before I finally have to beat it?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

VDay posted:

Have they given any indication to how urgent the whole Avatar project thing will be? I'm the kind of idiot that panics way too much about forced time limits even when I think that they make the game better and are a good design decision. Is it going to be the case where we can delay it indefinitely if we just keep having successful missions? Or is that just going to delay it for a few months until we're eventually forced to do it? I just want to know how much am I going to be able to break the game before I finally have to beat it?

In one of the videos I watched, clearing a Black Site knocked off like half of the Avatar progress bar. I don't think it's a time limit so much as a failure condition that exists if you lose too many missions.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

grrarg posted:

The Twitch stream was a bit painful to watch. Those Firaxis guys do not have Jake Solomon's personality. The modding tools and procedural map generation look powerful and fairly easy to use. Automatically changing a map from arid desert to temperate forest to frozen tundra or something in between on the fly was really impressive.

The Eurogamer video with Jake and the Long War guy from today is a better (and shorter!) explanation of why they wanted the Long War people involved.

The best part of the eurogamer interview is watching Johnnylump kvelling and almost tearing up as Jake talks about how much the LW team influenced and inspired them.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

grrarg posted:

Jake Solomon's personality

"The problems of course are you just gotta be sure that you're ready technically for that, so... Me being the creative director, that's not really my loving problem so, you know, I was all 'let's do it!' 'I'm all for this!' you know?" :xcom:

Jake Solomon really is a fantastic face for this game, and for game development in general. I look forward to seeing what things he brings us, even beyond XCOM. :allears:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 31, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Beagle posted:

:what:

How does that work?

:magical:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
what happened to those beagle gifs of the massive overwatchs? If someone has those, we should get em in the OP.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

what happened to those beagle gifs of the massive overwatchs? If someone has those, we should get em in the OP.

XNam was glorious, I agree friend.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Alehkhs posted:

Jake Solomon really is a fantastic face for this game, and for game development in general. I look forward to seeing what things he brings us, even beyond XCOM. :allears:
Now imagine if Swen Vincke from Larian was along for this. I don't think I'd be able to handle the excitement. :allears:

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

overwatch 1
overwatch 2

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
jake solomon is a big dweeb cutie pie

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Beagle posted:

I really want this gaaaaaaaaaame

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
i hope there will be a video of jake trying to sell xcom 2 to people in a gamestop

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
"No longer a threat"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm still really sad that there isn't a version of overwatch 1 where beagle completes his sentence

also in the second post now

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

i'm still really sad that there isn't a version of overwatch 1 where beagle completes his sentence

also in the second post now

Really makes me hanker for a Platoon/X-Nam full conversion.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

amanasleep posted:

Really makes me hanker for a Platoon/X-Nam full conversion.

Soon, brother

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Personally, I'd kinda like to see XCOM2 modded into something for Shadowrun, I know that has it's own games now, but I think it would be better in this engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beagle posted:

Not only will it be helpful for machinima and streamers, but then he goes on to say how it plays into it actually making Multiplayer feasible for everything, and that it's a core feature that will send these replays back and forth in a multiplayer match, so that you no longer get glitching Cyberdiscs and Floaters ect. And that's not even adding to the possibility of you rewatching replays of your multiplayer matches, to see exactly where you or your opponent made mistakes!

Just... :swoon: This game is...I swear, I have a natural predisposition to being hyped by anything XCOM, but cripes...everything being revealed is just such amazing common sense and helpful that, yea, my hopes are sky loving high right now.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 31, 2016