Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Splashing blue in Abzan should definitely be called "getting your junk wet".

No need to remind us that's the only way we'll be able to do so. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

Colorless Simic

Edit: can anybody who saw the deck tech give me a ballpark on what the deck looked like?
http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/gu_company_with_jesse_cagle.html

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It should be called Bent Dick Abzan. Got any other color splashes y'all need a definitive deck name for? Sex in a Dumpster Mardu. Anything else?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

:wtc:

This game is silly.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

rabidsquid posted:

Sex in a Dumpster Mardu.
Awesome, I needed a new deck name now that mine is running Matter Reshaper.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

People who don't want to be embarrassed by their hobby.

If this is embarrassing to you then fun in general must be humiliating, huh?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

C-Euro posted:

:wtc:

This game is silly.

The tournament report he wrote was great

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Molybdenum posted:

The tournament report he wrote was great

Was it unbearable?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Scrubbed out of a 64-man Modern 1.5k today. Went 3-3 as is my typical record at bigger events. The lovely part is that I came with a group of 5 friends, and was paired against them in 2 of my rounds.

One of our 5 T8'd for some prize money which was awesome, and we had another T16 for his entry fee back.

Affinity rules the day, taking #1 and #2 spots. T8 was rounded out by Merfolk, Burn, Tron, Grixis control, Sun Titan, and Jund. Was a great variety but with Twin and Bloom wrecked Affinity is running wild. And me, with 7+ cards in my board that come in for Affinity, didn't see it once.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Was it unbearable?

The puns were grizzly to say the least.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Just play Affinity where all you have to do is go 1-1 in boarded games to win the match, and your sideboard barely matters

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

http://imgur.com/o1HhRcW

From brassman's stream of the P9 tournament today.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 31, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cernunnos posted:

From what I've seen/read of him Jim Davis is a terrible person (or at least not a very good person).

Davis wrote the response to the "Women in Magic" SCG article and it was so bad that it was pulled and Cedric had to issue an apology for it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bhsman posted:

Davis wrote the response to the "Women in Magic" SCG article and it was so bad that it was pulled and Cedric had to issue an apology for it.

Didn't that start with a reference to South Park of all loving things?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

Fun fact: most people play Magic for fun, not because they are emotionally or financially invested in it.

There's this one dude at my local card shop who buys really expensive netdecked decks, but refuses to invest any time into learning basic strategy or meta despite repeated offers of help from the owner and the other regulars. He whines hard when he loses, which is often, and is clearly not having any fun. It's like he only plays because "Well, I'm a nerd, so I guess I have to play Magic". People are loving confusing sometimes.

On the upside for us though, it does lead to some hilarious victories like the time I beat his MyrTron deck without me or any of my creatures taking damage and me only attacking him with his own Myrs.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

From what I've seen/read of him Jim Davis is a terrible person (or at least not a very good person).

I've known him for ten years now, though he doesn't come to the ol' LGS just every day. He's a slow player and somewhat standoffish, but not more of the latter than any other Magic player. He'll talk your ear off about strategy and not be condescending about it, even with new players at prereleases. I don't think he'll ever live down that Women in Magic article, but no one brings it up around him anymore. Where is everyone getting the idea he's an rear end in a top hat, or is it just the terrible article and the glacially slow play?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

I've known him for ten years now, though he doesn't come to the ol' LGS just every day. He's a slow player and somewhat standoffish, but not more of the latter than any other Magic player. He'll talk your ear off about strategy and not be condescending about it, even with new players at prereleases. I don't think he'll ever live down that Women in Magic article, but no one brings it up around him anymore. Where is everyone getting the idea he's an rear end in a top hat, or is it just the terrible article and the glacially slow play?

It's probably because you've known him for 10 years and most people have known him for a collective of 10 hours.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I really don't like that new commentator guy. He's very aggressively sarcastic and condescending-- it's that kind of "alpha nerd" humor that one guy in the LGS always has, where every joke is at the expense of the foolish person talking to him. It felt like Matthias was a little nonplussed at his aggression sometimes.

Also, did something happen in Newington CT this weekend? Apparently there was a bit of a snafu.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Devor posted:

I wear my Green Power Ranger mask so that I don't accidentally make eye contact with my opponent and pass priority.

kizudarake posted:

Nobody coulda said that extensive eye contact is passing priority then.

Someone didn't read the thread before posting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

kizudarake posted:

Someone didn't read the thread before posting.

Can someone repost the original forum post about the incident? I want to see it again and a friend doesn't believe me that it's real.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So I parted out most of my rare and valuable cards a while ago, but seeing how much aether vials are worth is making me wanna check the rest of my uncommon/commons for money cards. Is there a site I can easily find out what the good stuff is without searching each card?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

field balm posted:

So I parted out most of my rare and valuable cards a while ago, but seeing how much aether vials are worth is making me wanna check the rest of my uncommon/commons for money cards. Is there a site I can easily find out what the good stuff is without searching each card?

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

field balm posted:

Basically the the answer revolves around how many Inquisition of Kozilek and Serum Visions you have.

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz will give you an idea for each set you have cards from in a visual way.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friend told me about this lady's magic stream: http://www.twitch.tv/GabySpartz . It's cool and good and has a nice mix of magic going on with other color commentary otherwise, which is what I look for in a magic stream. I see channel fireball on the side so maybe she's sponsored? IDK, but I hope she does regular commentary.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

field balm posted:

Here is basically every Common/Uncommon that's worth anything in Modern.

Note that some of the prices are a little inflated since the site uses TCG Mid.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
mcmagic thanks for touting world breaker so hard

the first time in testing i activated eye of ugin and realized i now had the opportunity to pretty much fetch karn was when it clicked

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chill la Chill posted:

My friend told me about this lady's magic stream: http://www.twitch.tv/GabySpartz . It's cool and good and has a nice mix of magic going on with other color commentary otherwise, which is what I look for in a magic stream. I see channel fireball on the side so maybe she's sponsored? IDK, but I hope she does regular commentary.

She was in the standard super league I think? She was in one of the super leagues and internet bros had a loving fit. She also commentated a thing once and you guessed it the dudes had their big boy cranky tantrum.

LSV seems to be friendly with her is about the long and short of personal knowledge I have of her so that seems all right with me

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

Good news she will be joining the wotc coverage team this year! No one mention her looks :can:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Good news she will be joining the wotc coverage team this year! No one mention her looks :can:

I like when she's humming whatever song and talking about the children's cartoons she watched as a kid. And flooping pigs. :eyepop:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't think it's politically incorrect to mention that Gaby is hot unless you try to connect it with her skill at broadcasting/magic/whatever.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

This reminded me of my favorite piece of Magic trivia: that Bearscape's original name was Bear Supply.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

Here is basically every Common/Uncommon that's worth anything in Modern.

Note that some of the prices are a little inflated since the site uses TCG Mid.

Woah, I had no clue my Auriok Champion was in the $30+ range. That's also making me regret having to sell my foil Jace, Vryn's Prodigy to pay a parking ticket, it's gotten even more stupid valuable since then. :(

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think it's politically incorrect to mention that Gaby is hot unless you try to connect it with her skill at broadcasting/magic/whatever.

The implication of that is that she's not good and got her position because of looks. It doesn't have to be explicitly said, and it's a common tactic used by misogynists to denigrate female announcers and reporters in sports like football

Truth is, she isn't great, and she isn't doing this stuff out of recognition of her skill, but rather because she has an in with wotc via LSV and the coverage team (as opposed to, say, Jadine Klomparens, who is a very good female magic player who toils on the scg/tcgplayer circuit.)

Also something something coverage diversity (please fire randy)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
^^^ I'm sure most people aren't familiar with her yet. I'll reserve judgement till after the pro tour. It's a fact they desperately need a more diverse lineup.

I tried catching up on today's GP coverage and it's pretty shambolic:

- No decombing filter
- 10+ minutes of no sound
- Randy
- No round timers
- Round 3 starting after 3PM

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Gaby also wrote an article on ChannelFireball about women in Magic and got hired on as part of a fresh blood plan for MTG commentary.

EDIT: She's the one who's married to the guy that started Pottermore and is a millionaire now IIRC.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

GeneX posted:

The implication of that is that she's not good and got her position because of looks. It doesn't have to be explicitly said, and it's a common tactic used by misogynists to denigrate female announcers and reporters in sports like football

Truth is, she isn't great, and she isn't doing this stuff out of recognition of her skill, but rather because she has an in with wotc via LSV and the coverage team (as opposed to, say, Jadine Klomparens, who is a very good female magic player who toils on the scg/tcgplayer circuit.)

Also something something coverage diversity (please fire randy)

A lot of not very good magic players make fine or even very good coverage members. There are a lot better players than Cedric Phillips but nobody has ever accused him of not deserving his job.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Gaby's one of my favourite streams to watch (though I don't watch constructed much). She's got a pretty good ratio of talking through plays and having fun with it from what I've seen. I hope she's able to successfully translate her streaming into some quality coverage.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

bhsman posted:

Gaby also wrote an article on ChannelFireball about women in Magic and got hired on as part of a fresh blood plan for MTG commentary.

EDIT: She's the one who's married to the guy that started Pottermore and is a millionaire now IIRC.

Just did some quick googling. He made mugglenet when he was, like, 12. The New Yorker did a profile on him and called him The Virologist and The King of Clickbait. He makes clickbait websites one after another and just sees what sticks.

Gaby will be fine on coverage, as long as she studies up and doesn't get disconnected with current metas like a lot of WotC coverage people have a habit of doing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

rabidsquid posted:

A lot of not very good magic players make fine or even very good coverage members. There are a lot better players than Cedric Phillips but nobody has ever accused him of not deserving his job.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't claiming that. To go back to my sports analogy, Al Michaels hasn't played a professional sport in his life.

Let me rephrase: The reason she, specifically, has this job is because she's a friend of LSV's. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether I think she'd be good at it or not; I was addressing two separate topics, namely how her skill with magic relates to this position (she's a fine-to-good player, but not good enough that they'd want her in there for her skill alone even with discomfort like, say, Eric Froelich) and how talking about her looks, given the wider context of women in announcing roles, comes off very poorly regardless of intent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Basically the the answer revolves around how many Inquisition of Kozilek and Serum Visions you have.

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz will give you an idea for each set you have cards from in a visual way.

Lol thanks for this and everyone who replied. Only had a couple of serum visions, but somehow glimmervoid is 50 bucks and I have a whole bucket full of lava spikes. Can't find my playset of tops but they should be around. I can't believe how much a bunch of trash is worth tbh.

• Locked thread