Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think I'm 9 episodes into The Shield and the show got me hooked. A few of the early episodes were a bit so-so but I feel like they really hit a stride with the last couple. The modest budget still kinda shows in places but the most embarrassing thing is that theme song. I, uh, guess I'll have to stay tuned to see what's so great about Walton Goggins, because so far his character seems to be a somewhat out-of-place pseudo-comic-relief moron. I also just realized the assistant chief of police is John Diehl from Miami Vice.

Also Black Mirror: White Christmas lives up to the hype. What an awful episode (in a good way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

david_a posted:

I think I'm 9 episodes into The Shield and the show got me hooked. A few of the early episodes were a bit so-so but I feel like they really hit a stride with the last couple. The modest budget still kinda shows in places but the most embarrassing thing is that theme song. I, uh, guess I'll have to stay tuned to see what's so great about Walton Goggins, because so far his character seems to be a somewhat out-of-place pseudo-comic-relief moron. I also just realized the assistant chief of police is John Diehl from Miami Vice.

Also Black Mirror: White Christmas lives up to the hype. What an awful episode (in a good way).

Honestly I didn't think Walton Goggins was all that special in The Shield.

Justified now..

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mysterious frankie posted:

There was this channel on RCN, maybe still is, where you'd contribute videos and comments on their website and then they'd put it on the air at the breaks. It was something like You Too, I want to say? Anyways, it was a really good, lame channel that reminded me of the late 90s\dot com bubble era of paid cable, where everything seemed a little alternate reality weird and highly optimistic. That and Chiller are the only two channels I need, but I have neither. Oh, my life.

I miss this channel too. It was goofy and sincere and a thing out of its proper time. One of the lone gunmen was one of their on-air hosts who introduced the videos.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I crushed all ten episodes of Degrassi: The Next Class last night. Holy crap what a fantastic show. It's like Saved by the Bell if every episode was the one where Jesse got hooked on caffeine pills.

Is there any streaming service that has the more recent seasons which aired on Teen Nick? I see that they are all available on iTunes, but I don't want to pay $20 per season.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Is Nip/Tuck any good though?

I have seen every episode of Nip/Tuck and it's impossible to answer this question. I'd say after season 3 just fast forward past any scene that doesn't involve one or both of the main doctors or Joely Richardson. The 3 main actors have great chemistry, and it's charming even as they're enjoying chewing scenery in later seasons. By contrast, I would also say that the son is IMO one of the worst-written characters on TV, ever.

Maybe the most interesting thing is that the Nurse Linda character is an actual doctor and was one of the plastic surgery consultants on the show. Also the season 3 finale is the highest rated FX episode ever, also the season that won a Golden Globe.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Sock The Great posted:

My wife and I crushed all ten episodes of Degrassi: The Next Class last night. Holy crap what a fantastic show. It's like Saved by the Bell if every episode was the one where Jesse got hooked on caffeine pills.

Is there any streaming service that has the more recent seasons which aired on Teen Nick? I see that they are all available on iTunes, but I don't want to pay $20 per season.

Is this the season Drake was in? Because I remember thinking "drat, these kids have the worst loving luck."

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Only God Forgives is up on Amazon. It combines Ryan Gosling's emotionless approach from Drive with uncomfortable incest and erectile dysfunction imagery. It also has a gorgeous neon color palette and really cool score. It is really excellent.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Accident Underwater posted:

It combines Ryan Gosling's emotionless approach from Drive with uncomfortable incest and erectile dysfunction imagery.

And karaoke!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Only God Forgives is up on Amazon. It combines Ryan Gosling's emotionless approach from Drive with uncomfortable incest and erectile dysfunction imagery. It also has a gorgeous neon color palette and really cool score. It is really excellent.

I liked Only God Forgives and was surprised to learn just how negatively audiences reacted to it on release. I don't normally pay attention to critics, but the bile that this movie inspired is really something special.

From a recent AV Club article:

quote:

In a film culture that elevated the likes of Sam Peckinpah, Martin Scorsese, and Quentin Tarantino to the status of gods, Only God Forgives was seen as going too far. Where Drive won raves, Only God Forgives was lustily booed at its Cannes debut. Winding Refn critics saw the film’s unapologetic, unrelenting nastiness as proof that the filmmaker was all style and no substance, a provocateur whose films had gorgeous visuals but fatally lacked a soul and a conscience. They called it everything from “an unwatchable atrocity” (New York Daily News) to “just about the worst f--king thing I’ve ever seen” (New York). Rex Reed opined that Only God Forgives “may not be the worst movie ever made, but it is unquestionably in the top five,” while Jeffrey Wells dipped deep into his big bag of forceful adjectives and deemed it, “a poo poo macho fantasy—hyper-violent, ethically repulsive, sad, nonsensical, deathly dull, snail-paced, idiotic, possibly woman-hating, visually suffocating, pretentious.” He then claimed, “I felt violated, shat upon, sedated, narcotized, appalled, and bored stiff.”

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

after Drive everyone wanted Refn to be the new Tarantino and he responded with a movie that took all its elements to a really off-putting, non-crowd-pleasing extreme. i liked it, but i totally get why people reacted the way they did.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Honestly I didn't think Walton Goggins was all that special in The Shield.

Justified now..

Hell yeah. He killed it right out of the gate there and ended up doing a lot with that character as it went on.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The only non-good thing about The Shield was the obnoxious intro.

I also didn't get into Breaking Bad until netflix got it. Saw the pilot when it aired and then proceeded to miss a few episodes so then I just waited for it at that point while my friends were all :dance:

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Nickoten posted:

Is this the season Drake was in? Because I remember thinking "drat, these kids have the worst loving luck."

Drake was in Degrassi: The Next Generation for a few seasons (I'm not sure exactly which ones though), which is the one that ran on TeenNick in the US. Degrassi: The Next Class is a Netflix original they picked up after the series got cancelled.

And as far as I know, nothing else Degrassi is streaming anywhere.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Thanks to whomever recommended The Great British Baking Show, this show is the most calming cooking show ever. Great stuff to fall asleep to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

after Drive everyone wanted Refn to be the new Tarantino and he responded with a movie that took all its elements to a really off-putting, non-crowd-pleasing extreme. i liked it, but i totally get why people reacted the way they did.

I really hope he didn't make a career hampering movie specifically to make a point to audiences about them liking his other movie for the wrong reason.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Nickoten posted:

There's no Drake in the season on Netflix. I think he was on it like 8 or 9 years ago, before he was this huge A list guy.

I'm pretty sure the series was cancelled and picked up for a couple more seasons on Netflix. It would be nice if they made an effort to secure the past seasons when they save a series from cancellation.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I really hope he didn't make a career hampering movie specifically to make a point to audiences about them liking his other movie for the wrong reason.

i think he made exactly the movie he wanted to, which is really all you can ask for

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm very pleased Refn's career has consisted of doing whatever the hell he feels like.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i think he made exactly the movie he wanted to, which is really all you can ask for

Yeah, I think fewer movies are made out of spite than people want to believe

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
A good follow up is My Life Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, which is a documentary his wife made about them living and filming in Bangkok. It's definitely not a movie made to jab at audiences, you really see how torturous a process it is to get your vision on film.

It's also worth watching just to see scenes of Ryan Gosling babysitting the Refn kids. It's on Netflix.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh poo poo that's on Netflix? I've been wanting to watch it for a while.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

this movie is the poo poo

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The single fight scene in Only God Forgives is really awesome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When people talk about Only God Forgives being hard to watch/boring, I can only assume they never watched Gosling's 2010 Blue Valentine (which is awesome, and I think might still be on Netflix).

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

precision posted:

When people talk about Only God Forgives being hard to watch/boring, I can only assume they never watched Gosling's 2010 Blue Valentine (which is awesome, and I think might still be on Netflix).

Now THAT is a brutal film. Gosling is in a ton of good movies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would unironically watch the poo poo out of a shot-for-shot remake of Brokeback Mountain that just swapped Gosling in for Ledger. I love Heath Ledger but Gosling in that role, oh my stars...

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

precision posted:

I was a blubbering mess at the end of Blue Valentine but Only God Forgives was just impenetrable for me.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Pingiivi posted:

I was a blubbering mess at the end of Blue Valentine but Only God Forgives was just impenetrable for me.

Only Gog Forgives is one of my favorite movies but I see what you mean. This video might help shine some light on it for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOPZURubLyU

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Pingiivi posted:

I kind of liked it the first time, and I really loved it after a rewatch some months later. There's a lot to unpack, and going in with a clear idea about the plot lets you enjoy Refn's direction more. Although I definitely get why it's not universally praised.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I kind of liked it the first time, and I really loved it after a rewatch some months later. There's a lot to unpack, and going in with a clear idea about the plot lets you enjoy Refn's direction more. Although I definitely get why it's not universally praised.

Is there a way you can give a plot synopsis that helps with the first viewing of the film without being too spolierish? I haven't seen it, but I loved Refn's Valhalla and Drive.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Sock The Great posted:

I take it that you are unfamiliar with the way Degrassi works then? Every episode is a hot-button social issue that hits some poor kid square in the mouth. A small cast of characters means there's a double-down on the hardship at some point: Not only is this guy bullying you, he may have given you AIDS! or I know it's hard to be a teen mom, now imagine how much worse it will be when the baby daddy has brain damage!

The originals (Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High but not Kids of Degrassi Street) are available for streaming on Amazon Prime and the newer stuff is still available on the MTV Canada site: http://www.mtv.ca/degrassi/ That might be region locked, might not.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

nate fisher posted:

Is there a way you can give a plot synopsis that helps with the first viewing of the film without being too spolierish? I haven't seen it, but I loved Refn's Valhalla and Drive.

Sure.

Julian (Gosling's character) and his brother Billy run a fighting club, which serves as a front for their drug ring. Billy, early on in the film, rapes and murders and underage prostitute, whose father, Choi, later kills Billy. As punishment for Choi allowing his daughter to become a prostitute, Chang, the man who is basically God in this movie, cuts off Choi's hand. Chang serves to maintain balance among the seediness of Bangkok.

We also learn shortly thereafter about Julian's incredibly warped sexuality, which we later gather is caused by his mother. In between insults about Julian's penis, Julian's mother demands that he seek revenge for the death of Billy. Julian finds Billy to be the one at fault, considering the death justified, and allows Billy's murderer to live. However, he is later pressured by his mother to continue to seek justice/revenge for the family, and only then can they return home to America. Julian's mother arranges for a hit on Chang, which fails. While seeking information about his attempted murder, Chang murders a friend of Julian and Billy's, which prompts Julian to challenge Chang to a fist fight in what is 100% the best scene in the movie.

I think that gets the gist across, while leaving some surprises in there to be found. I think if you liked Valhalla Rising you'll find plenty to enjoy in this.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Sure.

Julian (Gosling's character) and his brother Billy run a fighting club, which serves as a front for their drug ring. Billy, early on in the film, rapes and murders and underage prostitute, whose father, Choi, later kills Billy. As punishment for Choi allowing his daughter to become a prostitute, Chang, the man who is basically God in this movie, cuts off Choi's hand. Chang serves to maintain balance among the seediness of Bangkok.

We also learn shortly thereafter about Julian's incredibly warped sexuality, which we later gather is caused by his mother. In between insults about Julian's penis, Julian's mother demands that he seek revenge for the death of Billy. Julian finds Billy to be the one at fault, considering the death justified, and allows Billy's murderer to live. However, he is later pressured by his mother to continue to seek justice/revenge for the family, and only then can they return home to America. Julian's mother arranges for a hit on Chang, which fails. While seeking information about his attempted murder, Chang murders a friend of Julian and Billy's, which prompts Julian to challenge Chang to a fist fight in what is 100% the best scene in the movie.

I think that gets the gist across, while leaving some surprises in there to be found. I think if you liked Valhalla Rising you'll find plenty to enjoy in this.

I would consider this very spoilerish.

All you need to know is the whole thing is about Gosling's relationship with his mother and how that affects his life. Something happened in the US that brought him to Thailand, and the way Gosling relates to his girlfriend, his brother's indiscretions and the police chief all reflect his own sense of guilt or karmic punishment for things in his past.

The movie didn't do much for me because Gosling took the impenetrable stare of Drive and turned it up to autistic. I wonder what another actor might've done.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I keep trying to start Turbo Kid because friends who generally have good opinions have told me to watch it, but I can't get more than 5 minutes in because it just comes off as some ironic YouTube video.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
The Look of Silence, Joshua Oppenheimer's companion piece for The Act of Killing, just went up on Netflix UK

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

nate fisher posted:

It is such a visual movie, plot synopsis cannot do it justice, and I say this as someone who didn't enjoy it. The obvious comparison would be something like Enter the Void, but other than palette they are quite different. It is definitely one of the most divisive movies I've ever seen, it certainly evokes a strong reaction. I'd advise anyone interested in it to see it and decide for themselves.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NESguerilla posted:

I keep trying to start Turbo Kid because friends who generally have good opinions have told me to watch it, but I can't get more than 5 minutes in because it just comes off as some ironic YouTube video.

It's basically an American 80's-themed version of any of your favorite gory Japanese films. Think Ichi the Killer levels of bloodlust. It's kind of fun, but I'd recommend lubricating yourself with alcohol or pot before jumping in to it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
All you need to know about Only God Forgives is that it's basically one of those "super cop cleans up the streets and takes down a crime family" movies only from the perspective of the scumbag criminals. Also that the balding Thai cop who can pull a saw out from behind his back like an anime character and loves karaoke is the titular God.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

NESguerilla posted:

It's like Kung Fury and The FP. Movies for terrible people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I know its a remake of another show but man Mad Dogs feels like someone tried to make a more serious Hangover movie into a series. Some good performances, but the plot has tonal issues and a giant telegraphed ending that coincides with a "who cares?" at the end.