Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Use alternate attires and make Los Matadors into Los Conquistadors. Problem solved. I actually use them sometimes now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

Davros1 posted:

And in last year's game.

They weren't in last year's game. Primo and Epico's last appearence was WWE 13

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

2k15 PC is really cheap now. Assuming it's still not worth buying (a modern WWE game with a bad create mode?) and the "mod scene" hasn't done much yet.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Fat Lowtax posted:

2k15 PC is really cheap now. Assuming it's still not worth buying (a modern WWE game with a bad create mode?) and the "mod scene" hasn't done much yet.

Strikes me as difficult for the WWE PC games to ever get much of a mod scene of they have a yearly release cycle. 2k16 would probably be the better bet as far as getting good-looking custom characters (and create-a-stadium and all the other features) if it ever gets a PC release, but still not worth full price. 2k15 "mod scene" is mostly custom superstars from what I can tell, but they still end up looking a bit off because of the toolset they're working with.

I don't think I even played 2k16 on console more than a few times since I bought it. The tediousness/clunkiness of the mechanics finally caught up with me, and the career mode was such a drag it took forever for anything to actually happen.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Did anyone get into the UFC 2 beta and do you like it? I forgot to cash in my invitation.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Narrator posted:

Strikes me as difficult for the WWE PC games to ever get much of a mod scene of they have a yearly release cycle.

They're all going to be based off the same framework so unless they radically change how the game handles files converting 2k15 mods to 2k16 will be trivially easy.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Use alternate attires and make Los Matadors into Los Conquistadors. Problem solved. I actually use them sometimes now.

Did you give them Edge and Christian's moveset?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Lady Naga posted:

They're all going to be based off the same framework so unless they radically change how the game handles files converting 2k15 mods to 2k16 will be trivially easy.

Whoops, yeah, good point.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

ChrisBTY posted:

Edit: Beaten.
Personally I sign my jobbers to 3 month contracts as a general rule. That way I don't have to keep signing workers every time I need somebody to eat a pin. I also sign basically every young worker who enters the game world, just to give me an excuse to check their 'hot prospect' ratings. The language the game uses is a code of sorts to let you know just how good a given worker can be potentially. Unfortunately I don't know the code offhand, I was able to find it easily enough online.

I've done the same in my WWF '83 game. I even hired Shane Douglas, who was a free agent, and despite him being a jobber he's getting over fairly quickly. Although the mod maker made him a positive influence on the locker room :psyduck:

He'll probably be a part of the youth movement in the WWF as I start phasing out the older guys. I just hit Cult, and am tempted to start signing guys to written contracts, but you know the whole Regional-Cult jump is a bit of a pain.

There is one thing I wished the AI would do in these TEW games, and that's sign actual free agents. They're not aggressive enough in that regard, perhaps not at all. Unless I pick a guy up off the scrap heap even for a few months, they're just gonna sit in the free agent market and perhaps appear in the monthly independent show.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

The Narrator posted:

Strikes me as difficult for the WWE PC games to ever get much of a mod scene of they have a yearly release cycle. 2k16 would probably be the better bet as far as getting good-looking custom characters (and create-a-stadium and all the other features) if it ever gets a PC release, but still not worth full price. 2k15 "mod scene" is mostly custom superstars from what I can tell, but they still end up looking a bit off because of the toolset they're working with.

I don't think I even played 2k16 on console more than a few times since I bought it. The tediousness/clunkiness of the mechanics finally caught up with me, and the career mode was such a drag it took forever for anything to actually happen.

the mod scene on PC is always going to not be great because the only people making tools to view/edit files are charging stupid amounts of money, and the smacktalks community is filled with a whole bunch of people that can't do anything for themselves

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
$15 is not "stupid amounts of money".

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
anything >$0 is stupid amounts of money for mod tools for pc games that don't even have a lot of people in it in the first place. they're also generally garbage and aren't worth >$0 on their own merits.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm giving a PWG product a spin in TEW13 and good lord is it easier to maintain guys' heat. It might just be weird / unbalanced stat layouts but the worker market is so flush that I basically have to hire the geekiest of geeks to put on a match received on par with low midcarders in WWE.

Plus I forgot the additions I made to this database

Also Ivellise just captured the Lucha Underground title, which I approve of

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 31, 2016

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

spongeh posted:

the mod scene on PC is always going to not be great because the only people making tools to view/edit files are charging stupid amounts of money, and the smacktalks community is filled with a whole bunch of people that can't do anything for themselves

To be fair, the people who write documentation for installing the mods are semi illiterate and often times instructions for one thing are buried in instructions for an older iteration of the same program.

I think 16 will be a lot better since the CAW tools are better and the custom belts and arenas are back, so the only things you really need to mod in now are custom models.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The only thing I'm really interested in is if they can backport Hogan/Punk from 2k15 into 16 whenever it gets released.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

projecthalaxy posted:

Did anyone get into the UFC 2 beta and do you like it? I forgot to cash in my invitation.

The CAF is greatly improved in customizing your face and tattoos. You can make a great Jay Sherman

The clothing is very restricted, because Reebok.

The game play is refined, but fighting more or less feels the same. The AI still has no answer to spamming muay thai clinch knees.

The Ultimate Team mode is a money sink. If you played the mobile game with the hook of opening packs for moves and upgrades, it is a lot like that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Armitage posted:

There is one thing I wished the AI would do in these TEW games, and that's sign actual free agents. They're not aggressive enough in that regard, perhaps not at all. Unless I pick a guy up off the scrap heap even for a few months, they're just gonna sit in the free agent market and perhaps appear in the monthly independent show.

Yeah it's a bit boring how stagnant the AI feds seem to be. In my WCW 95 scenario WWF never really hires anyone, they just keep resigning their same jobbers. Apparently locking the Godwinns down to a long deal was more important than signing The Rock when he appeared in the database, or scooping up Steve Austin

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

triplexpac posted:

Yeah it's a bit boring how stagnant the AI feds seem to be. In my WCW 95 scenario WWF never really hires anyone, they just keep resigning their same jobbers. Apparently locking the Godwinns down to a long deal was more important than signing The Rock when he appeared in the database, or scooping up Steve Austin

Yeah, workers seem like they don't get signed due to either a lack of popularity, or being way too popular to sign. I would imagine the Rock debuts with 0 popularity, so no one other than a human player would grab him. The "I'm too popular for your fed ha ha" thing makes little sense too. I've not been able to sign those types of wrestlers even if I break the bank. Wrestlers in real life take high paying independent opportunities all the time.

Also it seems like the same bunch of wrestlers get signed to PPA appearances for a whole bunch of promotions at one time. Because of conflicts some of these promotions end up not using these guys, and on top of that you get these news stories about these guys needing a break. At least in the editor you can edit their contracts to let them have 1 day left if they end up taking a roster spot despite the lack of use. Too bad you can't actually add contracts to give these free agents something to do. Perhaps editing the access save file itself is the answer?

Armitage fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 1, 2016

Vilkata
Jun 22, 2004

Who are the best CAW creators on PS4? Just got 2k16 and I'm looking to beef up my roster a bit.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A thing about game development is that unless you have a really good team with a lot of time and resources, any AI you program is either going to be too smart or too stupid. It's hard to make an opponent that does most things right but makes just enough mistakes to be beatable.

TEW is a pretty deep grog game but it's made by about 8 people total (assuming all listed in the credits programmed) and it is, literally, a collection of forms and views made in Microsoft Access. The calculations involved must be pretty complex but the game is, for all intents and purposes, a calculator. Rival feds are algorithms that compare data points (workers, regional info, etc) against their set parameters (the fed's product and the booker / owner stats). They probably won't surprise you that often. The game's not terribly well balanced but what else are you going to do? Even a clearly dying irl fed like TNA basically cannot fail in TEW given the fact that they have TV deals and the game doesn't allow for workers who are well-known but not actually draws.

If you really want to get a challenge out of TEW or any spreadsheet game, you've got to introduce randomness. Crank up injury and death frequencies and turn on all possible complicating factors (economy effects, product trends, etc).

Armitage posted:

Also it seems like the same bunch of wrestlers get signed to PPA appearances for a whole bunch of promotions at one time. Because of conflicts some of these promotions end up not using these guys, and on top of that you get these news stories about these guys needing a break. At least in the editor you can edit their contracts to let them have 1 day left if they end up taking a roster spot despite the lack of use. Too bad you can't actually add contracts to give these free agents something to do. Perhaps editing the access save file itself is the answer?
The thing to do here is to offer EPPA contracts, and especially in real-world mods, you can get away with it a surprising amount of the time - no one will even put up counteroffers, they'll just let the guy go even if they're main eventers or belt holders. Only when you go against the Cult tier, NOAH or ROH or whoever, will you see actual competition for workers.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 2, 2016

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Vilkata posted:

Who are the best CAW creators on PS4? Just got 2k16 and I'm looking to beef up my roster a bit.

I would also like to know this

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm giving a PWG product a spin in TEW13 and good lord is it easier to maintain guys' heat. It might just be weird / unbalanced stat layouts but the worker market is so flush that I basically have to hire the geekiest of geeks to put on a match received on par with low midcarders in WWE.

I approve of this alternate universe.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
My big problem with TEW games was I'd end up playing God TOO much to even enjoy the game. I need to be a spectator and a creator at the same time to have fun with a wrestling game. I am much happier getting saves for Fire Pro Returns and keeping track of wins and losses in a spreadsheet and just sim the matches at whatever speed I'm feeling and record the results. It's fun, I don't have to worry about workers getting a low grade, or losing overness or gimmicks, etc. I just get to enjoy dream wrestling matches in a video game. I am really hoping the rumors of a new Fire Pro for the new Nintendo hand held aren't just rumors.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Good to see WWE Raw doing what 1997-8 WCW Nitro refuses to do.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Corzaa posted:

Did you give them Edge and Christian's moveset?

Conquistador 1 has Edge's moveset and Conquistador 2 has Vader's because, well, I dunno exactly.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Howling Man posted:

My big problem with TEW games was I'd end up playing God TOO much to even enjoy the game. I need to be a spectator and a creator at the same time to have fun with a wrestling game. I am much happier getting saves for Fire Pro Returns and keeping track of wins and losses in a spreadsheet and just sim the matches at whatever speed I'm feeling and record the results. It's fun, I don't have to worry about workers getting a low grade, or losing overness or gimmicks, etc. I just get to enjoy dream wrestling matches in a video game. I am really hoping the rumors of a new Fire Pro for the new Nintendo hand held aren't just rumors.

I desperately want a new Fire Pro, too, but sadly the guy who "broke" it was the Pro Wrestling X guy, and according to several of the older/most respected members of the Fire Pro community, it isn't the first time he's done this. Signs point to it being a hoax, but I'm totally down with being wrong.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

my dream game is literally just an updated version of Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. thanks for listening.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

super macho dude posted:

my dream game is literally just an updated version of Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. thanks for listening.

Netherrealm-developed Lucha Underground game, ripping off the AKI grappling system as closely as possible. :getin:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Def Jam: Fight For New York with a Lucha Underground skin and L'il Kim and Henry Rollins inexplicably intact. gently caress, Danny Trejo is already there.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i want to make samoa joe and kevin owens hate each other why cant i do this in wwe 2k16

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Netherrealm-developed Lucha Underground game, ripping off the AKI grappling system as closely as possible. :getin:

Take nether realm out of this post and baby, you got a stew going.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ryland is doing his "Developer's Journal" for TEW16 where he reveals a new feature for the game every day. First two features were a huge request and a small functional change to save time, which is usually the balance of these things. The big one is the introduction of alliance titles that can be defended across multiple companies and the small thing the ability to save contract "templates" so you can have standard contracts you offer to people without having to always set the same thing.

He posts a new one every day.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532912

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Those are both cool things. I always burn out on TEW so fast. Maybe I should play as an indie instead of WWE as trying to both fill all that time and book everybody are somehow both impossible for me. Just do one show a month or something. I'm always interested to hear everyone's stories but I just can't seem to get hooked.

E: actually it looks like I played EWR which is an older version of TEW I think? Whichever the free one is.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 2, 2016

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

projecthalaxy posted:

Those are both cool things. I always burn out on TEW so fast. Maybe I should play as an indie instead of WWE as trying to both fill all that time and book everybody are somehow both impossible for me. Just do one show a month or something. I'm always interested to hear everyone's stories but I just can't seem to get hooked.

E: actually it looks like I played EWR which is an older version of TEW I think? Whichever the free one is.

Yeah I can never get into playing a big fed. On tew 2013 i just setup a fed in Australia one or two shows a month and I was familiar with the default roster for there so i knew who to sign and just had a blast.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snacksmaniac posted:

Take nether realm out of this post and baby, you got a stew going.

I feel like Netherrealm and Volition are the only studios that would really grok LU, and Pentagon showed up at a Mortal Kombat X thing in costume so it would appear NRS and El Rey already have some kind of relationship. v:v:v

Also, if you're burning out on TEW, try one of the goofy-rear end fictional mods like 9000verse. I'm in a game on that one where I'm running ECW as Notch, and it's been pretty fun so far; the main storyline I've been running has been between Spawn and Judge Death for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship, and I had War Machine get involved on Spawn's side, prompting announcer/authority figure Spider Jerusalem to inform the two that they're gonna have to duke it out to decide which one will get the title shot.

They have a Tennessee Street Fight, and it's a 64-percent match with "good heat and good in-ring action." Post-match, I run an angle where Spawn goes over to shake War Machine's hand. The crowd goes loving wild, and suddenly TEW is actually a drat fun game.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 2, 2016

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah I might try it again, either with the current or some historical roster pack, sign myself 10-12 guys, give myself a bunch of cash, and just start a little local fed instead of trying to deal with sponsors and cable deals and all. And hey, if I play like 1985 or so maybe I can organically become a big deal like Memphis or AWA!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

projecthalaxy posted:

TEW came around because Ryland actually wanted to make money from the games and figured that starting fresh with a fictional database would have helped avoid confusion instead of releasing a new Extreme Warfare where they would have expected a real world database.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Is EWWarehouse the best place to get EWR stuff? Like they have a January 1985 mod on there I think I'd like to play, is there another more recommended mod pack for running your own territory?

E: Started a game as a Small indie in 1985: had this as my first show, with my whole roster featured:

Bottom two matches are for tag and world titles.

As I predicted, not having 4 shows a week to do is nice.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 3, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI5v8vsEPqM

Just rewatching the NL Wrestling Mpire rumble from their RR marathon last year. It's still possibly the best time that I ever had watching a stream because the game is batshit insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nL always produce simply amazing content but that rumble is definitely up there for the best they've ever done.